SDN Score Distribution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hypothalamus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Select the range that corresponds to your score on the April 2006 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

You can see how the SDN population is skewed... most people score a 24 on the mcat.... SDN = 30

Members don't see this ad :)
Overachivers, or motivated? Thanks to the tips from this place I know I boosted by score 3 pts easy.

sdn is soo intimidating
good thing it's a skewed representation of the premed population.

SDN is off the charts. 35+ is like 95% percentile but almost 30% of SDN users are in that range!

dear god, seriosly, what a group. if only we could somehow harness the brain power of everyone here or something, we could probably cure cancer within a decade. which leads me to an idea...

I feel very fortunate in that I did not take any practice tests or prep much at all (maybe 15 hours of brush up) and still got my 30. Its been like 10 years since I have had some of these subjects. No doubt that by prepping as I should have I could be sporting some seriously killer scores. But hey, the goal is to get into med school. No sense in gunning, I have a family to spend time with and a job to do! Contrats everyone! Here is hoping for us all to join the class of 2011!

Anastasis said:
:laugh: too funny.
No, really, we should make some kind of forum where people can start to put up reseach ideas or something, and they can be peer-reviewed, and then if your review gets put into the final project then you get either co-authorship or credit or something, and then some people can take an abstract of the project to a local Univeristy, get funding, fly in the people who contributed for a summber... and pow! there goes a scourge of man kind

Nice idea, but in the allo thread people seem much more eager to fight over the importance of undergrad prestige, hurl insults in AA debates, and ask what their chances for admission are.

Dr Durden said:
Nice idea, but in the allo thread people seem much more eager to fight over the importance of undergrad prestige, hurl insults in AA debates, and ask what their chances for admission are.

haha yes i found some of that amusing...although then you go to the DO one and there are also plenty of debates about how much it will suck to be DO according to these facts and NO it will not according to those, etc...
why cant we all just get along ? :)

Dr. Geoff said:
You can see how the SDN population is skewed... most people score a 24 on the mcat.... SDN = 30

The Mean for the Apirl MCAT is offically 25.6 with a Std Dev of 6.4. Personally, I go with ther term - Motivated.

Dr. Geoff said:

The Mean for the Apirl MCAT is officially 25.6 with a Std Dev of 6.4. Personally, I go with ther term - Motivated.

Here is a comparison of the current SDN posted results versus the official MCAT results for April 2006...

Note: the poll in this thread had a wierd choice of score ranges to choose from, so I made the official scores fit the ranges available which make for an ugly distribution.

Attachments

• MCAT-SDNvsGeneral.jpg
    MCAT-SDNvsGeneral.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 225
  • MCAT-SDNvsGeneral2.jpg
    MCAT-SDNvsGeneral2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 214
Haemulon said:
I feel very fortunate in that I did not take any practice tests or prep much at all (maybe 15 hours of brush up) and still got my 30. Its been like 10 years since I have had some of these subjects. No doubt that by prepping as I should have I could be sporting some seriously killer scores. But hey, the goal is to get into med school. No sense in gunning, I have a family to spend time with and a job to do! Contrats everyone! Here is hoping for us all to join the class of 2011!

i'm sick of this non-trad gunner line. "i haven't been in school for X years and I barely studied and got 3X" You know what? I haven't been in school and I studied 20 hours a week for 4 months. I worked my butt off (while taking care of a newborn and a toddler) I get so sick of people saying they didn't study: either you're lying or bragging. Either way, put a carrot in it.

MiesVanDerMom said:
i'm sick of this non-trad gunner line. "i haven't been in school for X years and I barely studied and got 3X" You know what? I haven't been in school and I studied 20 hours a week for 4 months. I worked my butt off (while taking care of a newborn and a toddler) I get so sick of people saying they didn't study: either you're lying or bragging. Either way, put a carrot in it.

I admire the hard work that you say you put into it. You should be proud. I am proud of what I have done too. My intention is not to make anyone feel badly. I am sorry if I have. I get bummed by people posting their 35+ scores ... I mean why else post them except to brag? And they should be proud, who else but other MCAT-ers can truly appreciate the accomplishment? At the same time, I am interested in how people have done, either great performance, average, or poor, as well as what they have done to prepare.

My comment was not meant to show contempt for others or make people feel badly. I have worked very hard with a family (like you) to get several college degrees and a good deal of work and research experience. All of which helped to contribute to my performance on the exam (instead of formal Kaplan-style preparation). I wish you all the best. I had said in my post that I felt very fortunate to have gotten the result that I did, especially since I had not prepared properly. This was meant to give encouragement to those that are not able to devote such vast amounts of time to preparation like you have done. Not everyone has the ability that you talk about for yourself, but there is still hope that they may do well.

MiesVanDerMom said:

I just saw another one of your posts in the 31 MCAT thread. You have a double standard I see:

MiesVanDerMom said:
31R here: 13V 9P 9B ... Hooray for 31/32ers. We are the most awesome people on the planet.

That sure sounds like bragging to me. :rolleyes:

While I have no doubt that SDNers on average score better than the national population, the discrepancy might not be as big as everyone thinks. Many of those who scored very well might be more likely to enter their scores in the poll to see how they "stack up" against the competition. By the same token, I feel that those who didn't score very well are less likely to post their scores (maybe they don't want to see how badly they did against their unusually intelligent pees).

So, take these results with a grain of salt. If the poll had been mandatory for all SDNers who had taken the MCAT, I'd bet money that the numbers would have been different.

superwillis said:
By the same token, I feel that those who didn't score very well are less likely to post their scores (maybe they don't want to see how badly they did against their unusually intelligent pees).

Even when the poll is anonymous, and how you can check the poll results before you vote?