Official 2008 Secondary Essay Prompts Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know that Einstein has their secondary online, but their website says not to send it in until you have received an email acknowledging receipt of your AMCAS. I was wondering if anyone has received an email from them yet... I had been having some problems with my email before and was wondering if I might have missed it.

Thanks!

I got mine today. Check your spam. SLU and Georgetown both ended there. Thank goodness I checked.

I have not received secondaries from two schools, BU and Harvard, yet SDNers have posted on this thread that they´ve already received them. I´m pretty sure both Harvard and BU have automatic secondaries. Should I be worried? I was verified around June 9th....

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not received secondaries from two schools, BU and Harvard, yet SDNers have posted on this thread that they´ve already received them. I´m pretty sure both Harvard and BU have automatic secondaries. Should I be worried? I was verified around June 9th....

I'm in the same boat regarding BU, my AMCAS was also verified and sent out June 21. When I emailed a week or two back (when receipt of BU invitations were first reported here), their response was that secondary app invitations were sent out in batches, so I should wait a little longer. I'm thinking about calling them up to ask again, contact with admission offices certainly never hurts.

Oh, sh#$.
I think I emptied my spam box in gmail. I emailed Georgetown twice (day before yesterday and today) to see if they could resend, but they have not sent any replies...

Just got UT-Memphis... It has your standard "have you been convicted of a crime" questions and an optional, no-length-specified "Additional comments" section. Not really a prompt for it. I would add this to the list but I am not tech savvy.

Notification by e-mail:

Tell the Committee in Admissions about your specific interest in USUHS for your medical education and explain your motivation for military medicine and something about your experience or familiarity with the military services. In addition, you may expand your AMCAS statement and tell us whatever you would like the Committee to know about you.

Additional simple questions like are you a U.S. citizen? Are you fit for military service?

Just got WashU's. It's short and sweet. Only $50 app fee too!

Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

I got an email from UNC inviting me to fill out a secondary, however, they aren't putting it online for another week or two.

Links to Available Secondary Prompts

Albert Einstein - online, e-mail invite
Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Case Western - e-mail invite
Cincinnati - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
ECU (Brody) - email invite
Eastern Virginia Medical School - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Georgetown - e-mail invite
Jefferson - e-mail invite
Harvard - e-mail invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
MSU-CHM - email invitation
MUSC - E-mail invite
Ohio state - email invitation
Pitt - e-mail invite
SLU - e-mail invite
SUNY Downstate - e-mail invite
SUNY Upstate - e-mail invite
Tulane - online
UAB - e-mail invite
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago - e-mail invite
UConn - online
UCSD - email invite, 2 page personal statement
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UKentucky - e-mail invite
U of Louisville - e-mail invite
UMDNJ-RWJMS - e-mail invitation, no essays
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School - email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UTSW - TMDSAS should be submitted first
Rochester - snail mail invite, no essays
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - e-mail invite
UWisc - e-mail Invite
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

I got an email from UNC inviting me to fill out a secondary, however, they aren't putting it online for another week or two.

Achelois- are you in-state? When were you verified?

I got a post card from Indiana today saying that they received my AMCAS and they would notify me soon after "evaluating my credentials"

I was hoping it would be an easy one... no such luck.

This supplementary information request provides you the opportunity to address specific points beyond the AMCAS application that you would like the admissions committee to know about you and your candidacy here. Please respond to the three items below. Please limit your response to 2250 characters for each question.

-What characteristics or abilities do you possess that you believe will most contribute to your success as a physician?

-As the profession of medicine demands physical, intellectual, and emotional commitment, what have you done in your life to demonstrate dedication to the achievement of a life objective?

-QCOM is recognized as a leader in primary health care education and some of our students choose QCOM for that reason. Other than that as a motivation, what is your rationale for applying to QCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just recevied an email telling me how to check my applicant status online. They screen so, its just telling me that my application is under review

haha- i didn't realize i didn't say which school it was. It was Wake Forest that told me to go check my status online

Does anyone have the secondary questions for Creighton- I've done the search for it, but can't seem to find it anywhere! Thanks!

tufts came today, auto app

1. Is there any compelling personal reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend TUSM in particular or to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school or studying in another city? YesNo

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? YesNo

3. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) YesNo

4. Is any member of your family a graduate of TUSM or a current member of our faculty? YesNo

5. I have read and understand the Technical Standards of TUSM and can comply with those requirements. YesNo
1. Is there any compelling personal reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend TUSM in particular or to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school or studying in another city? YesNo

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? YesNo

3. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.) YesNo

4. Is any member of your family a graduate of TUSM or a current member of our faculty? YesNo

5. I have read and understand the Technical Standards of TUSM and can comply with those requirements. YesNo

I just got VCU . . .

Nice to know someone looked at my app and thought positively. Anyways . . .

There are the usual questions for basic info plus 2 essays.

The admissions committee requests that you write another essay that provides us with some insight into you as a person. The content should NOT repeat anything that we can learn from the AMCAS essay. However, other than that you may discuss any topic you choose. The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours (limit of 250 words).

Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
MUSC - E-mail invite
Pitt - e-mail invite
SLU - e-mail invite
Tufts
Tulane - online
UAB - e-mail invite
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago - e-mail invite
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - e-mail invite
UWisc - e-mail Invite
VCU
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Last Year's 2007 Secondary Thread

University of South Carolina.

No major essays, just the a couple clarifications if you answer "I am not a SC resident" and "I have previously applied to USC School of Medicine".

Also, a short essay on "What are your medical practice goals?"

Oh, it's an e-mail invite, with the secondary attached in PDF.

Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
MUSC - E-mail invite
Pitt - e-mail invite
SLU - e-mail invite
Tufts
Tulane - online
UAB - e-mail invite
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago - e-mail invite
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC - e-mail invite
UPenn - e-mail invite, no essays
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - e-mail invite
UWisc - e-mail Invite
VCU
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

E-mail invite. The e-mail contains a hyperlink to their secondary.

No essays required.

Two short essays (hand-written!):

Why do you want to go to Marshall?

If you're not in school now describe what you're doing now and for the next year.

Emory's secondary application will be available on or about August 15th. It will be an e-mail invitation.

E-mail below:
We have received your verified application data from AMCAS.

The site for the 2008 Emory Supplemental Application is still under construction. As soon as the site is complete (on or before August 15), we will send you an email with the instructions for completing the application.

Please be sure that you keep your contact information, particularly your email, updated with AMCAS. Your preferred email address with AMCAS is where we will be sending you the supplemental application information.

We look forward to receiving your application, and we thank you for your interest in Emory School of Medicine!

Emory University School of Medicine Admissions Team

Snail mail invite with link to online supplemental app. 6 essays:

1. What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

3. How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities which reinforced your decision.

4. What self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work?

5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school.

6. Please use this space to bring the information contained on your AMCAS application up-to-date. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

anyone know what the essays are for medical college of wisconsin and/or cincinnati?

Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
Emory - e-mail invite, on or before August 15th
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
Loyola - snail mail invite, online application
Marshall
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
MUSC - E-mail invite
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
SLU - e-mail invite
South Carolina - e-mail invite
Tufts
Tulane - online
UAB - e-mail invite
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago - e-mail invite
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - e-mail invite
UWisc - e-mail Invite
VCU
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Tufts- email inivte, requires digital pic

There are 5 questions and they look like just yes or no questions b/c there is nowhere to write an essay, but if you click yes for a question then an essay box appears. I think they are trying to trick people to be honest and say no b/c you don't think there is any way to explain anyway.

1. Is there any compelling personal reason or circumstance/history that motivates you to attend TUSM in particular or to study in Boston, as opposed to attending another school or studying in another city? 1000 characters

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine? 1000

3. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

4. Alumni/Faculty Relationships

5. I have read and understand the Technical Standards of TUSM and can comply with those requirements.

Could somebody post a link to this secondary. I got the snail mail from them saying that I should have received an email by now, but haven't. (In the future, I will avoid email addresses with an underscore in them). I never got my Pritzker email either :(

Could somebody post a link to this secondary. I got the snail mail from them saying that I should have received an email by now, but haven't. (In the future, I will avoid email addresses with an underscore in them). I never got my Pritzker email either :(

i believe the pitt secondary requires a login and password. contact both schools ASAP.

1. Describe a personal experience which resulted in a substantial moral or ethical dilemma. What was the outcome? We are reluctant to accept assertions that you have never encountered such a situation. Please do not address cheating in an academic setting.
.250 words

2.. The recruitment of a diverse student body is a major goal of the University of Pittsburgh's Medical School Admissions Committee.
Please tell us whether facets of your life, background or education
to date would contribute to the achievement of this goal.
250 words

The above was Pitt. Here's Pritzker's if you don't have it either:

3A. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our medical school. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past service, community, clinical, educational, and research experiences. Please also discuss your future goals. (3500)

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

3B. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. (2400)

Did you check your spam folder for those secondaries? Neither screens, I think...

Essay Question Yes/No

Have you ever matriculated at or attended any medical school as a candidate for the M.D. degree?
If yes, please explain.

Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a felony, or criminal offense, participated in a pre-conviction program or do you currently have any civil or criminal charges pending?
If yes, please explain.

Were you ever the recipient of an institutional action (such as disciplined, probation, cited, suspended, dismissed or other action) by any college, university or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw?
If yes, please explain.

Have you been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to, any moving traffic violations?
If yes, please explain.

If you are NOT currently enrolled in a degree granting program, please briefly describe your major activities since you received your college degree.
If yes, please explain.

Hey guys,

I have a question about Dartmouth, which will prolly apply to other schools as well...

When inputing courses into the course requirement fields, there is a blank under the heading "College". Is this just supposed to be checked off, indicating yes, it was a college course,

OR

Is there supposed to be a code for each college/university that should be entered. please help, and thanks ;)

Hey guys,

I have a question about Dartmouth, which will prolly apply to other schools as well...

When inputing courses into the course requirement fields, there is a blank under the heading "College". Is this just supposed to be checked off, indicating yes, it was a college course,

OR

Is there supposed to be a code for each college/university that should be entered. please help, and thanks ;)

The college or university it was taken at. If you read the directions more carefully it says right there. :p

The college or university it was taken at. If you read the directions more carefully it says right there. :p

Thanks for replying...

But, are you sure? I re-read the snail mail that was sent from Dartmouth and it doesn't say that.

Heres the instructions from the site, also:

Applicants need not have completed all premedical courses at the time of application, but required courses must be completed and documented prior to matriculation at Dartmouth Medical School in August 2008. Please list below the courses you have taken, or plan to take, to fulfill Dartmouth Medical School's premedical requirements. Please check the box next to any course in progress during the application year. We require one year each (8 semester hours) of General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry (note: Biochemistry may not be substituted for Organic Chemistry), Physics, and General Biology, plus one-half year (3 semester hours) of Calculus. Advanced Placement courses for which you have received official college credit that will appear on a college transcript may be used in fulfillment of the requirements.

I know I'm an idiot, but how did you fit in the entire name of the school? Like "University of XVT" all into the box? Something dont seem right....:oops:

Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
MUSC - E-mail invite
Pitt - e-mail invite
Pritzker - email invite
Rosalind Franklin
SLU - e-mail invite
Tufts
Tulane - online
UAB - e-mail invite
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago - e-mail invite
UCincinnati
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - e-mail invite
UWisc - e-mail Invite
VCU
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

It says that there is an email invite for vermont's secondary. could someone post the question(s)?

It says that there is an email invite for vermont's secondary. could someone post the question(s)?

Look at the bottom link which has the 2007 prompt thread and go to the last page of that thread. There will be a link to a post with UVermont's questions. I'm too lazy to repost it here.

I received an Email invite to fill out UVA's secondary today. The have a bunch of essays: In addition to the explain your crime essays there are three.

What do you think will be your greatest personal challenge
as a physician, and how will you address this?
(Please limit your response to 300 words.)

Why are you interested in attending
the University of Virginia School of Medicine?

Briefly describe yourself and your medical career
as you see it ten years from now.

Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
MUSC - E-mail invite
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
SLU - e-mail invite
Tufts
Tulane - online
UAB - e-mail invite
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago-Pritzker - e-mail invite
UCincinnati
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - e-mail invite
UWisc - e-mail Invite
VCU
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

I just received an inviation via email to complete Temple's Seconday. There are two essays:

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine ? (Use the following space. There is no character limit)

What are your plans for the current year- June 2007 until June 2008? (Use the following space. There is no character limit)

note that the last essay does NOT specify to only complete if you are no longer in school- which makes me wonder what I'll write....

Baylor - online
Boston - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
MCW - e-mail invite
Meharry - online
MUSC - E-mail invite
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
SLU - e-mail invite
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
UAB - e-mail invite
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago-Pritzker - e-mail invite
UCincinnati
UConn - online
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMich - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
UVermont - e-mail invite
UWisc - e-mail Invite
VCU
WashU - email invite
Yale - online

Alesdu and DMCR600,
Can you keep me updated when you hear from BU? I'm still waiting on theirs too. Thanks!

The above was Pitt. Here's Pritzker's if you don't have it either:

3A. At the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, we strive to identify students who will be a great "fit" with our medical school. Our Mission Statement is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. Please reflect on its content and write an essay describing why you see yourself as a great "fit" for Pritzker. Please include examples of past service, community, clinical, educational, and research experiences. Please also discuss your future goals. (3500)

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."

3B. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. (2400)

Did you check your spam folder for those secondaries? Neither screens, I think...

Thanks to those who replied. I have a filter set up in my hotmail that screens any address ending in ".edu" to a med school folder. I ended up calling the schools and now have both apps available! :oops: So I guess I should get off SDN and get crackin' on these essays. Blahhhh.

georgetown just sent out an email invite

their essay:
Why have you chosen to apply to Georgetown University School of Medicine, and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? Please note: You have a maximum of 5000 characters (about 1 single-spaced page in Times New Roman font) to complete this essay.)

anyone know what the essays are for medical college of wisconsin and/or cincinnati?

MCW doesn't have essay questions, and I've heard that Cincinnati is pretty much just the same info from the AMCAS, but I haven't seen it.

Vermont's secondary also doesn't have any essay questions. The most intensive work goes into listing your residential history and there is a spot for additional information for up to 1000 characters. :luck:

Essay Question
Please describe how your family background and life's experiences have come together to shape the person you are today and how this will allow you to contribute to the life and diversity of the USF College of Medicine.

They also have a part to put in any activities that are not on your AMCAS