Should I wait to go to Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

07MCAT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 3.5 undergrad, 3.3 grad, 21 and 19 on the Mcat 2 years ago. I want to go to Harvard medical school. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc and try to get a 3.9 GPA then take the mcat early next year and then apply to the 2009 cycle @ Harvard. I really want to go to Harvard MED. The past 7 years I just spent to much time working and supporting my family, I didn't realize how much I was hurting my education and my shot at getting into Harvard.

Can any one tell me the things I must do to get into Harvard Med? I'm willing to start over.

After residency, I want to match into Orthopedic surgery and I'm not sure how other schools will prepare me to match into that particular field. I know Harvard has the reputation for being the best.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 3.5 undergrad, 3.3 grad, 19 and 21 on the Mcat 2 years ago. I want to go to Harvard medical school. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc and try to get a 3.9 GPA then take the mcat early next year and then apply to the 2009 cycle @ Harvard. I really want to go to Harvard MED. The past 7 years I just spent to much time working and supporting my family, I didn't realize how much I was hurting my education and my shot at getting into Harvard.

Can any one tell me the things I must do to get into Harvard Med? I'm willing to start over.

After residency, I want to match into Orthopedic surgery and I'm not sure how other schools will prepare me to match into that particular field. I know Harvard has the reputation for being the best.

You must be a talented lap dancer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One, this is premed and should be moved.

Two, no one gets to pick their medschool, its great to have goals and by all means apply but I think it would be a waste of an application cycle to only apply to one school let alone only a top10 regardless of stats. For one there are plenty of schools with great reputations out there and even schools without that big name match students into Ortho all the time. I believe my unranked state school matched 8 into ortho last year. Finally no one can tell you what you need to get into any specific school because admissions comes down to subjective judgments of an applicant. Plenty of kids who look awesome on paper don't get in anywhere let alone at one target school. Just do your best and apply broadly if being a doctor is really your dream.

I got a 3.5 undergrad, 3.3 grad, 19 and 21 on the Mcat 2 years ago. I want to go to Harvard medical school. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc and try to get a 3.9 GPA then take the mcat early next year and then apply to the 2009 cycle @ Harvard. I really want to go to Harvard MED. The past 7 years I just spent to much time working and supporting my family, I didn't realize how much I was hurting my education and my shot at getting into Harvard.

I was going to make some pretty funny comments, but I checked your other posts and came to the conclusion that you are serious. Please undestand this is meant in the nicest way. Three things are seriously wrong:

1. Your GPA dropped from undergrad to grad school. I understand that grad school is tougher, but ADCOMs like to see improvement.
2. Your first MCAT is really, really, low. You'd have a tough, if not impossible time getting into the med school w/the lowest avg MCAT score.
3. You took the MCAT again and only improved 2 pts.

You've got an uphill battle ahead of you. Good luck.

Why the unwavering obsession with Harvard? There are plenty of med schools out there that are very good. If you have the attitude of "Harvard or nothing" I think you will find yourself extremely stressed.

you will probably not get into any US MD school with those MCAT scores or grad GPA. I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to be a tad honest with yourself. I don't think some people realize how difficult it is to get into medical school. Speak with your advisor and take it from there.

My advice - don't be so attached to Harvard.

(Start warming up to something a little more tropical... ;))

My advice - don't be so attached to Harvard.

(Start warming up to something a little more tropical... ;))

If the tropics aren't to your tastes sire, might I suggest New Scotland International School of Medicine a.k.a Stewart U. Apparently, Native Americans aren't making enough money through gambling alone in Cali so they decided to create the "#1 Medical School" *cough* on American-Indian soil.

I got a 3.5 undergrad, 3.3 grad, 21 and 19 on the Mcat 2 years ago. I want to go to Harvard medical school. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc and try to get a 3.9 GPA then take the mcat early next year and then apply to the 2009 cycle @ Harvard. I really want to go to Harvard MED. The past 7 years I just spent to much time working and supporting my family, I didn't realize how much I was hurting my education and my shot at getting into Harvard.

Lets be frank. You'll need to get a higher MCAT score if you want to get into a U.S. medical school, let alone Harvard. And you really have to see how well you'll do at your post bacc before you start thinking about getting into HMS. Dont get me wrong- I really hope that you do end up getting a 3.9 at a post bacc if you decide to do it- all I'm saying is see how well your grades go, and then go from there.

Now just so you know, you can go to a lesser known medical college, and still get into a good, competitive residency, be just as good a physician, and perhaps be in less debt. What it comes down to is your personal performance in school, and scoring well on your boards. You really need to ask yourself why you want to go to just Harvard. Realistically speaking, at this point, I'm not sure you have the luxury of choice.

But I do wish you luck in your endeavors, and perhaps, a change in the future regarding your limited perspective towards your medical education.

I hate to dash your dreams kid, but...

You are not going to get accepted to Harvard Medical School.

Members don't see this ad :)
Off topic, but how does research quality act as a measure of a good medical school?

I was obsessed with Harvard for undergrad. I got rejected. More dramatically, I got the rejection letter on my birthday! In retrospect though, I am very glad that happened. Not only because the school that I ended up going to was good for me, but more importantly because I realize now that I had no real reason to go to Harvard except "Holy ****e, its Harvard!"

Off topic, but how does research quality act as a measure of a good medical school?

Its one of the few quantitative measures we have, so people use it. I don't think anyone rightly believes that research dollars translates into pumping out the best doctors, but its an easy way to compare medical schools.

Its one of the few quantitative measures we have, so people use it. I don't think anyone rightly believes that research dollars translates into pumping out the best doctors, but its an easy way to compare medical schools.

I get your point, but it is an inaccurate indicator. Harvard has substantial funding from other sources, and when I visited it, I got the feeling that money is no object, so you cannot use the NIH fundometer as a quantitative measure.

I get your point, but it is an inaccurate indicator. Harvard has substantial funding from other sources, and when I visited it, I got the feeling that money is no object, so you cannot use the NIH fundometer as a quantitative measure.

A bit of a digression, but citing that a school has alternate sources of funding and therefore discrediting NIH funding levels as a valid quantitative measure is a non-sequitur. Its safe to say that when an organization is comparing NIH funding levels between schools, alternate sources of funding will not be considered. That being said, the citing of NIH (or alternate sources of) funding levels does not causally imply that this equates to a higher quality education- the implication that it does equate to a "higher quality" education is a non-sequitur in itself.

It doesn't. But it'll increase the amount of low-yield, board-irrelevant minutiae you will learn in basic science courses from research professors who'd rather be in their labs.

to be honest med school @ harvard is not a possibility for you.

orthopedic surgery can however happen with a good performance in a med school and a high USMLE step1 score. you honestly should consider a carib school and work your ass off to ace step1.
that my friend is more realistic and something you should think about.

Don't let these haters get you down. You can go from 21 to 40 on the MCAT with a little bit of studying. They're just jealous of you for having such high aspirations.

T-R-O-L-L

This is a pre-med issue and therefore moved to Pre-Allopathic. Allopathic medical students read and reply to threads in Pre-Allo and may follow and do so with this thread.

I like to help but damn this is a stupid question and I hope it is sarcasm because it is the type of thing I want to punch a person for. You know...if I were a violent person.

A bit of a digression, but citing that a school has alternate sources of funding and therefore discrediting NIH funding levels as a valid quantitative measure is a non-sequitur. Its safe to say that when an organization is comparing NIH funding levels between schools, alternate sources of funding will not be considered. That being said, the citing of NIH (or alternate sources of) funding levels does not causally imply that this equates to a higher quality education- the implication that it does equate to a "higher quality" education is a non-sequitur in itself.

It doesn't. But it'll increase the amount of low-yield, board-irrelevant minutiae you will learn in basic science courses from research professors who'd rather be in their labs.

Honestly, I would have thought that most people would be concerned with residency director ratings since that's what we REALLY care about, getting into the residency we want, not how many research dollars an institution gets.

And I don't think adcoms are as amazed as we are by people who get into Harvard. They know better.

A bit of a digression, but citing that a school has alternate sources of funding and therefore discrediting NIH funding levels as a valid quantitative measure is a non-sequitur. Its safe to say that when an organization is comparing NIH funding levels between schools, alternate sources of funding will not be considered.

I also think it's safe to say that some schools and institutions have a higher dependency on NIH funding

as you mentioned, it is an inaccurate measure of the level of education and even the level of research

I didn't get into Harvard so maybe I shouldn't say anything... With that in mind, I think that 07MCAT should evaluate what he wants in life... does he want to be a doctor or does he want an MD from Harvard... If he wants to be a doctor, he can work hard and get into a medical school and get on with his life doing what he wants...

If he wants an MD from Harvard, he can get it, it won't be anytime soon. You might have to devote 3+ years doing research, bringing up your MCAT, and basically showing the committe that you are a completely different person than you are right now... not to mention plenty of rubbing shoulders with guys on the admission council, and plenty of stellar letters of recommendations... But that is an uphill battle that doesn't guarantee anything.

And if/when you fail, you re-apply... until you are not allowed to reapply ... after so many times, people will question you motives, and then you might even be forfeiting you ability to get into any medical school with that unwaivering devotion to get into HARVARD medical school....

I don't mean to be bleak, but life is hard...and sometimes we can't all have our cake and eat it too. But I'll tell you something, when I go to the doctor because I need some advice... I'm not checking the walls to see if he/she got an MD at Harvard... are you?

I knew someone from my alma mater who said that if she did not get accepted to Harvard she would not go to medical school (yeah...people at Rice are like that)...Well she got into Harvard...and is probably one of those 3rd year's that the writer on Slate discusses (you should check it out if you have not read it)

Harvard's overrated. Go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.

I didn't get into Harvard so maybe I shouldn't say anything... With that in mind, I think that 07MCAT should evaluate what he wants in life... does he want to be a doctor or does he want an MD from Harvard... If he wants to be a doctor, he can work hard and get into a medical school and get on with his life doing what he wants...

If he wants an MD from Harvard, he can get it, it won't be anytime soon. You might have to devote 3+ years doing research, bringing up your MCAT, and basically showing the committe that you are a completely different person than you are right now... not to mention plenty of rubbing shoulders with guys on the admission council, and plenty of stellar letters of recommendations... But that is an uphill battle that doesn't guarantee anything.

And if/when you fail, you re-apply... until you are not allowed to reapply ... after so many times, people will question you motives, and then you might even be forfeiting you ability to get into any medical school with that unwaivering devotion to get into HARVARD medical school....

I don't mean to be bleak, but life is hard...and sometimes we can't all have our cake and eat it too. But I'll tell you something, when I go to the doctor because I need some advice... I'm not checking the walls to see if he/she got an MD at Harvard... are you?

agreed. a good doc is not made by a name or a school or any of that. it's from you. with a less than 50% acceptance rate at ANY school for most applicants who apply to a dozen or more schools, why be so limited? i think it shows something less than good to only apply to one or two schools, especially if it's the "big name" ones. harvard is a powerful name, but it's just a name (i went there undergrad) and in the end it's just a school. med school anywhere is just a means to the end of practicing medicine. in all honesty, if you care more about where you go than that you get to have the great societal privaledge of being entrusted with people's lives, perhaps your priorities are a bit whacked and maybe it's not really that you want to be a doctor and more that you want prestige and respect? there are easier roads to that end than medicine.

with those numbers... Harvard is not realistic.

If you pull the MCAT up (by about 10 points), you do have a shot at a US allo school.

Schools like Harvard, just by virtue of being "the big H" could fill their class with 4.0, 40+ students if they were so inclined... they may take people with stats slightly below that, but they're not going to give consideration to someone that has had your undergrad GPA and a lower grad GPA.

Last edited:
I'm going to be really blunt and it's going to sound harsh, but I'm echoing what posters above have said.

Even if you do a post-bacc and get a 4.0 GPA you will not get into Harvard Medical School.

Unless you have a family member who is on the faculty at HMS or a family member on the HMS adcom or you somehow while during your post bacc discover a drug that completely clears the HIV virus from the body or some amazing cancer drug or unless you are a nontraditional applicant who is well known and respected (ie. pulitzer-prize-winning famous) in another field, you are not getting into Harvard.

Adcoms usually view grad school as easier than undergrad. Your falling GPA does not look good. Your MCATs are very very low. People with 26s on the MCATs are rarely admitted to any medical school. Your scores are much lower than that.

If you retake the MCAT and do a post-bacc and do well you have a good chance of getting into a US allopathic medical school. It won't be Harvard. I'm saying all this because I think you need someone to be blunt.
I really do hope you improve your MCAT score and do well in your post bacc program and get into a US medical school if your dream is to be a ortho surgeon. Not getting into Harvard will not prevent you from being an ortho surgeon. Get into a US med school, excel in med school, and you can realize your dream.

Just donated a few million to HMS, then you'll have a chance!

high numbers don't just cut it for harvard. to have even a shot there, you need to have something very unique about your application. i suggest you research other med schools before you decide harvard is your #1. IMO, all US med programs are great. if you flip through the MSAR, you will see that there a TON of other schools have students that get into ortho.

Not to beat a dead horse... but this might be a helpful example ...
I am in graduate school for chemistry working at a top twenty University and my research advisor has brought in over hundreds of millions of dollars...

I got a 3.3 undergrad and a 3.7 in graduate school with a 35 MCAT plus three publications... my recommendations were pretty good (coming from my advisor... a big name)...

I'm still currently waitlisted at this school ( once again not harvard ) and I'm looking forward to attending the much more financially feasible in-state school where I got accepted. Moral of the story, not everything works out, EVEN IF everything is stacked on your side.

dont listen to anyone on this thread. listen to me. You are willing to start over? so DO IT. drive around your neighbor hood and find the most colorful preschool. enroll yourself. now, dont just be a normal kid, EXCEL in preschool. draw pictures better and faster than any of those ****** infants.

then, get into elementary school. Try to shield your face and hunch when you walk so that people dont get suspicious of your age. once again, EXCEL IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. dont just raise your hand, but KEEP IT RAISED, and if your hand gets tired, do a switcharoo, but drop your hand only AFTER the other one is raised.

during recess, dont just play kickball, BUT PLAY HARD. make sure you kick the ball farther and faster than any other ****** elementary school kid.

if you make it to 3rd grade, pick up an instrument. make sure you are the best.

when you go to middle school. EXCEL IN EVERYTHING. be better, faster, stronger, be all that you can be and all that army motto $hit. during gym class, WORK HARD. during class, WORK HARD. make sure you get A's in geography and pre-algebra (mutiplication can be very tricky). Also, if you can find time to read, make sure you read curious george, roald dahl, charlotte's web, etc etc.

if you make it to high school, make sure you make varsity football as a freshman. By now, all the other idiot kids will have caught up to you physically, so make sure you hit the gym. Also, as a freshman, get a SENIOR girlfriend. everyone will respek you after you hit that. Thats what getting into harvard is all about, RESPEK.

also, take MAD APs and do well in them. take your SAT as a sophmore. Get a 2400. Also, dont forget to become an EAGLE SCOUT. Join lots of club and become president of all the clubs and become varsity football captain as a sophmore. ull have mad RESPEK.

(by now, your balls will probably start to sag, so make sure to wear tighty whities UNDER your boxers so no1 can tell)

Hopefully you have MAD RESPEK, so you can apply to Harvard for undergrad. Make sure you apply early so you get in. After you get in, start volunteering at a Cancer clinic as like a filer or something. Take out their garbage, help the janitor, or something. This connnection will get you a lab research position in college.

At harvard university, double major in Biochemistry and Women's and Gender Studies. This is CRUCIAL because HMS will think you have mad diverse interests and stuff. Dont forget to graduate as a valedictorian and cure cancer. Make sure you get atleast a 44 on your mcats. I recommend getting a 45 just to be safe.

The road is long and hard, but you can do it. :thumbup: I believe in you.

Reactions: 1 users
:clap::clap:

best post ever above.

dont listen to anyone on this thread. listen to me. You are willing to start over? so DO IT. drive around your neighbor hood and find the most colorful preschool. enroll yourself. now, dont just be a normal kid, EXCEL in preschool. draw pictures better and faster than any of those ****** infants.

then, get into elementary school. Try to shield your face and hunch when you walk so that people dont get suspicious of your age. once again, EXCEL IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. dont just raise your hand, but KEEP IT RAISED, and if your hand gets tired, do a switcharoo, but drop your hand only AFTER the other one is raised.

during recess, dont just play kickball, BUT PLAY HARD. make sure you kick the ball farther and faster than any other ****** elementary school kid.

when you go to middle school. EXCEL IN EVERYTHING. be better, faster, stronger, be all that you can be and all that army motto $hit. during gym class, WORK HARD. during class, WORK HARD. make sure you get A's in geography and pre-algebra (mutiplication can be very tricky). Also, if you can find time to read, make sure you read curious george, roald dahl, charlotte's web, etc etc.

if you make it to high school, make sure you make varsity football as a freshman. By now, all the other idiot kids will have caught up to you physically, so make sure you hit the gym. Also, as a freshman, get a SENIOR girlfriend. everyone will respek you after you hit that. Thats what getting into harvard is all about, RESPEK.

also, take MAD APs and do well in them. take your SAT as a sophmore. Get a 2400. Also, dont forget to become an EAGLE SCOUT. Join lots of club and become president of all the clubs and become varsity football captain as a sophmore. ull have mad RESPEK.

(by now, your balls will probably start to sag, so make sure to wear tighty whities UNDER your boxers so no1 can tell)

Hopefully you have MAD RESPEK, so you can apply to Harvard for undergrad. Make sure you apply early so you get in. After you get in, start volunteering at a Cancer clinic as like a filer or something. Take out their garbage, help the janitor, or something. This connnection will get you a lab research position in college.

At harvard university, double major in Biochemistry and Women's and Gender Studies. This is CRUCIAL because HMS will think you have mad diverse interests and stuff. Dont forget to graduate as a valedictorian and cure cancer. Make sure you get atleast a 44 on your mcats. I recommend getting a 45 just to be safe.

...amazing. SDN's best post, ever.

I don't believe non-trads ever get into Harvard. Even if you took 10 years of undergrad courses @ a 4.0 average (which you would need, quite literally, to get your GPA up to snuff with Harvard matriculants), went to grad school AGAIN with a 4.0, got a PhD, retook the MCAT and got a 45, and did volunteer work in Africa saving DABs, you still have almost no shot. Of course, if you did all that, you'd most likely get into US schools somewhere. However, you will have wasted 15+ years of your life in the meantime.

I don't believe non-trads ever get into Harvard. Even if you took 10 years of undergrad courses @ a 4.0 average (which you would need, quite literally, to get your GPA up to snuff with Harvard matriculants), went to grad school AGAIN with a 4.0, got a PhD, retook the MCAT and got a 45, and did volunteer work in Africa saving DABs, you still have almost no shot. Of course, if you did all that, you'd most likely get into US schools somewhere. However, you will have wasted 15+ years of your life in the meantime.

didnt your mom ever tell you if you have nothing nice to say, dont say it. :mad: if you cant give him a surefire way to get into harvard, dont post. obviously the OP came here to hear that he has a shot at harvard, so why tell him otherwise? feed the fire that is his burning passionnate love for harvard, dont extinguish it.

didnt your mom ever tell you if you have nothing nice to say, dont say it. :mad: if you cant give him a surefire way to get into harvard, dont post. obviously the OP came here to hear that he has a shot at harvard, so why tell him otherwise? feed the fire that is his burning passionnate love for harvard, dont extinguish it.

The guy needs to get an honest opinion. Seriously, it's better to hear the bad news on a msg board than get an actual rejection letter.

Plus...it's a free country and free speech (to a limit) on this board.

The guy needs to get an honest opinion. Seriously, it's better to hear the bad news on a msg board than get an actual rejection letter.

Plus...it's a free country and free speech (to a limit) on this board.

And here I was thinking some folks don't have good BS detection chips.

Bigman is my new favorite poster

(and alltheflavors wins the "I'm not bright enough to understand sarcasm award")

Seriously, why the crimson fever? If research quality (as measured by the ability of faculty to obtain NIH grants) is any measure of prestige, Harvard's not even in the top 25.

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl05.htm

Those NIH listings are misleading. Since most of the research at HMS is done through the hospitals, what is done at the medical school itself is just the basic sciences stuff. So when you see that HMS is not even in the top 25, you're just looking at the basic science research on the Quad as compared to schools where the clinical basic sciences and clinical research is included in the award listing. If you add up all the research done at the affiliates (like US News does), it totals something around 1 billion in NIH funds per year. Also, to speak from personal experience, we do in fact have a number of non-trads in our class so it's not impossible for non-trads to go to Harvard. Lastly, to the OP, if orthopedic surgery is your goal, you're better off shooting for Cornell rather than HMS. Cornell is affiliated with the Hospital for Special Surgery which is the best place for orthopedics in the country.

The overachieving type that gets into Harvard already had their entire application prepped a year before applying.

This is so insulting. I got in by having mine done in eleventh grade.

This post needs to be sticky'd and enshrined in the annals of SDN. It literally made me laugh my guts out. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you are completely set on going to med school only at Harvard and want only the Harvard degree on your wall (and how many patients wander into their doctor's office and search for what school they went to?), maybe you are going for the wrong reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.