Portland are Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a fourth year and I have a month off right now, so I've got some time. There were a couple of things I will add to Dr. Bubbles assessment of OHSU with regard to questions from another.

It's a good school for the most part, but like all other med schools it definately has its issues which is fine, but you should be aware of them. All things equal, I'm very glad to be a student at OHSU, I think it's prepared myself and my classmates VERY well for residency and beyond.

2) , there is no curve. We could all get Honors if we all put in the effort.

Enjoy it now because this is not true during your third year clerkships when grades account for 2/3 of the value of your dean's letter. I still didn't feel an aura of competitiveness though during my third year clerkships. Everybody was pretty chill in my "track" which was very nice. Of course, this is just the luck of the draw though.

Also, grades come very late from clinical clerkships which has been a constant source of angst for students.

6) There are lots of opportunities to do research, shadow where you like, provided whoever you ask assents, go abroad the summer after first year or for fourth-year rotations (and maybe third--I'm not sure about that one).

There are opportunities to do research, but in reality when looking around it was actually a little more difficult to find someone that was actually really willing to mentor a medical student in a way that was worthwhile.

As for summer research, there was only one to two I could find willing to have me help and get paid at the same time. Most wanted me to find my own funding in order to work in their lab.

That being said I found an incredible mentor during the end of my second year. You can go abroad during the summer of the first year or during fourth year, but I'd imagine it's just as easy at any other med school and not specific to OHSU.

7) Preceptorship: we spend one afternoon a week with a physician in either a clinic or the hospital, so that by the time third year rolls around, we should already be competent at history & physicals. This way, instead of spending the first rotation or two, say OB and surgery, learning how to do a proper H&P, we spend it learning how to do OB and surgery. And I believe that because of our experience in a clinical setting we are able to learn more during third and fourth year, both regarding the practice of medicine and ward etiquette, and we match quite well into residency programs. (I don't know what the numbers are though.)

Maybe....H&P's are very different with regard to what service your on, what your resident and attendings want etc. I don't think that as a result of spending two years learning to do an H&P you'll spend more time learning OB and Surgery. H&P's mean very different things with regard to different services. At OHSU, there really is no such thing as a medstudent H&P in OB. There is a gigantic white board stuffed into a little room where you and about fifteen other docs and students get updated on the patients on the floor during shift change. You round on the post-partum folks and write a very brief note some ridiculous hour in the morning when your on your week of clinic rotation or something like that. Even when I did a week on GynOnc I didn't write one H&P. Surgical H&P's are a little bit different than what PCM will teach you (remember that PCM is taught by Department of Family Medicine). You do five weeks of surgery at OHSU and rotate on one of a few different services.

There is emergency general surgery, surgical oncology, foregut and minimally invasive, and colorectal/bariatric teams and then students who do their rotations at community hospitals so the experiences are quite varied.

You'll find that progress notes are much more important to learn and that when you are at morning report you will get about 30 seconds on OB to update the team, same with surgery.

On FM in the clinic again progress notes are more important than full H&P's unless doing physicals but hopefully your attending will allow you more time to work up the same day/urgent care type of appointments.

I found learning the H&P over two years to be a waste of time at OHSU. IM is where H&P's become important as a grading tool/learning tool and you'll find yourself writing these up at 11PM and finishing early the next morning in time to turn them in which gets a little bit redundant after your 17th write-up. Fortunately, I had some cool attendings that were more interested in teaching on the wards than reading my write-ups because at some point write-ups become sort of an exercise in futility. Your so tired that it's really more about getting them done then actually learning about your assessment.

If memory serves I believe there are ten required per five week clerkship. The H&P part is again less important than the assessment and the plan. You will be provided ample opportunities to learn the H&P on the wards. Once you've done one it will stick and when your attending changes they will likely have you do it differently than the previous attending. Get used to adjusting for these differences.

There is a learning curve at all medical schools with regard to transitioning to the wards and I don't think OHSU is much different. If your spending two clerkships learning the H&P you should really be in a different field.

There is no such think as a certain ward etiquette.

Here's what you need to know......If your a dick nobody is going to want to help you out, teach you things, or be around you. If your helpful to your residents (ie: I can go write that order in the patient's chart and bring it back for you to sign since I'm doing nothing and you have five discharge summaries to do; some call it scut I call it helping out a fellow human being whose position your going to be in two short years later), sincere with your team, on time, nice to your patients even if they suck, and really want to learn how to be a doctor you'll do just fine and will probably achieve your grading goals as well.

It's not quite that integrated. Basically, our first class is "Gross Anatomy, Imaging, & Embrology," (GIE) so we learn anatomy, imaging (mostly radiology) and embryology all at once.

We only read x-rays (radiographs) during this class essentially, it may have changed in the last couple years. It would have been great to have been tested and exposed more to CT's and MRI's but this wasn't the case when I was a first year. The allied health students in the same class were tested on MRI imaging, but the med students weren't.

During our second year we learn a little bit about MRI's such as T1 versus T2 and how to tell the difference etc. etc. in the neuroanatomy course. We also have CXR reading built into a second year course.

The principles of clinical medicine course is the second course that we all take during our first two years of school at OHSU and it is essentially one afternoon a week where we get the "other side of medicine" and physical exam stuff. There is usually a one hour lecture on business, ethics, emotional side of medicine followed by a one hour free for all, my opinion is better than your discussion with a group of your classmates and a physician who is your lucky isn't a retired 77 year old family doc and actually will be a practicing physician. This was a serious problem with my PCM experience. I had a whole bunch of very retired docs who had very old world values.

The next section is a one hour lecture, usually on a physical exam topic, and again is the CV exam, the pulmonary exam, etc. It is highly variable as to the value of these teaching sessions depending on who your small group leader is. I had a urologist teaching me a fundoscopic exam......waste of time for both him and I.

This class is called Principles of Clinical Medicine and a very small minority of students in my class year enjoyed this course. We all found it very frustrating with grades essentially given based on non-objective criteria such as how much the small group leader thought you agreed with their opinions.

The Department of Family Medicine runs this course and I think it would be a very difficult course to run being that it is "all inclusive", so they deserve credit for sure. It's just a really big job they've carved out for themselves. They rely on volunteer faculty to help teach, ie nobody is paid to come over and teach us this stuff.

They are about 10 or so years into running this course, but I think the consensus is they still have a ways to go.

That being said, the physical exam is really something you'll pick up on the wards in no time aside from the musculoskeletal exam but maybe even that. During your third year medicine rotation you have rounds with the chief of medicine at OHSU and it is physical diagnosis rounds and this teaches a lot, the guy is amazing.

-Lastly, I have kind of a strange question. Let me preface it by saying that OHSU is one of my highest choices, I was immensely impressed by both the school, the students, and the city, and I fully intend on going there unless I hear positively from UCSF, so the following ideas aren't really important to my decision but they've been 'tickling my mind' so to speak... Anyway, is it weird that most of the people who matriculate don't hear about their acceptance until after May? This is a rather tactless comment, but it seems that if, out of a class of 130, 90+ are pulled from the waitlist after May then OHSU isn't getting the vast majority of its 'top pick' acceptees. Plus, those who do matriculate are the folks who didn't have better options before May. I'm sure the class is still awesome, but doesn't this seem odd?

Weird, I don't really think so. Inconsiderate of the applicants? Definitely.

I think this is a harsh statement, Debbie and Carolyn I think do the best they can. There are two or three people for approximately 5000 applicants. The director of admissions is the director of the Oregon Rural Practice and Research Network and is a full time Epidemiology and biostatistics prof. who reads these applications etc. at night when she get home from a full day of work. She's a really nice lady, just with a gigantic job description and no funding to match.

Of course, as premeds we often don't see things from the other side. OHSU obviously needs more staff for their admissions, but I wouldn't call those who probably bust their hump day in and day out inconsiderate, I'd probably say their just doing their job with a lack of adequate resources like most people and leave it at that.

OHSU is a good school to attend. The 8-12 curriculum with two afternoons for PCM and preceptorship the first two years makes it a very nice. I found the knowledge I gained those first two years were a very adequate prep for step 1 and the wards both. The ability to have rotations at OHSU, the VA, and also the community hospitals makes your experiences diverse and if you want to stay in the city for internal medicine you can really be having a "try out" as early as your third year which is really nice. I've really enjoyed my time here, and again you won't go wrong with our school. Tuition would be a little worrisome to me at this school though, it is going up considerably next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your insight. I am worried about the tuition hike and whether it will happen again after this first bump.

The big budget debacle is going to raise tuition next year 17%. Is that the rise you were talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for another in a series of awesome posts to this thread. I know its early yet, but do you have any thoughts on if/how the tort cap issue is going to change the med student experience aside from the 17% tuition increase (ouch, particularly for an oos like me). Do you think that the legislature will do something about the court's new decision? What's the buzz on campus?

I'm thinking of taking a couple classes at PSU postbac. I want to ake them spring term, but can't figure out exactly when the spring term starts. Any one have the date?

Also, here's the list of courses I'm considering just from looking through their course catalog:
Pathogenic Bio, Immunology and serology, Virology, Health and Health Systems, Epidemiology, and the Physiology of Exercise.

Anyone taken those before? Good or bad experience?

I would recommend two of these courses more than the others:
1) Epidemiology--it's kind of confusing in med school, and a background definitely helps, and
2) Health and Health Systems, for the personal perspective and to be able to present a more complete understanding of what you're getting into when you get asked on med school interviews about it (I still don't know exactly what kind of system I'm working in right now...)

Best of luck!

Anybody know when they're sending out more invites? Or...gulp...if? They're super slow about everything, which is actually reassuring.

No worries just yet. They've sent out interviews through mid-February at this point (as far as I'm aware). And they'll interview into April. I would just give them a call to check in--occasionally interview invites have been known to get lost in the mail...it's rare, but it happened to two of my classmates that I know of.

Any sweet rock climbing or outdoor stuff worth mentioning? Kayaking spots? Mountain bike trails? Caves? etc?

Thank you for another in a series of awesome posts to this thread. I know its early yet, but do you have any thoughts on if/how the tort cap issue is going to change the med student experience aside from the 17% tuition increase (ouch, particularly for an oos like me). Do you think that the legislature will do something about the court's new decision? What's the buzz on campus?

Normally I wouldn't respond to my own post but...

I called OHSU today and spoke with Dr. Osborne who is the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Before I get in to what she said, I think its pretty amazing that I could call and get connected with such a high-up Dean on the first try without even making a fuss. And she spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me.

Anyway, I asked her about the tuition hike and she said that the number is between 17 and 25 percent of current rates, but they don't yet have a concrete figure. She expects to have a new tuition number by March 1, but of course the changes are coming from "on high" so the timing is not in her control. The percentage will be applied evenly to both in and out of state students, although the net change will necessarily be higher for the OOS because their old tuition is higher to begin with.

I also asked about how these budget woes might effect the medical student experience, and she said that other than the tuition issue there really won't be any visible change. Away rotations in Bend and Eugene may suffer, but the rural rotation is still in effect and there won't be cuts in any of the educational programs. The March Wellness Center (gym on South Waterfront) will be outsourced to Gold's or 24 Hour or someone but because the building is owned by OHSU, students and faculty will still have free use of the facility. It is unlikely to be closed completely as the South Waterfront condo market is ripe for a new gym and the other service providers actually made a bid for the contract a few years ago but OHSU turned them down. Looks like they have the las laugh.

I was also impressed by the fact that Dean Osborne was not unequivocally supportive of my going to OHSU if I had other options. We talked about the California schools and I indicated that I'd still choose OHSU over UCSD despite the cost issues, but I said that UCSF would win over Oregon. She agreed on both decisions, saying that OHSU was worth the tuition bump over SD but SF was my best choice if I got in.

Lastly, I asked her if the tuition bump was likely to come back down if some miracle fell from the sky and made this bad situation go away. She said that if something did happen, the Dean's office would petition hard for a reduction because they don't want OHSU to become the next U. Colorado (72K OOS tuition) and lose their standing as "the next great thing" on the west coast. However, a miracle is unlikely. Even if a new tort cap were passed by the legislature, it would have to be tested and proven in court before the liability offsets that OHSU now has to pay would decrease substantially. This process may take 4-5 years at minimum. The only quick hope is that the state kicks OHSU more from their general fund, but this is very unlikely given the state's own budget woes and the long-standing tradition of decreasing funding to the school. Plus, the negative public impression of OHSU's financial management that came about after the tram debacle makes any groundswell of support unlikely.

The silver lining of all of this is that I'm getting an early education about the destruction that the US legal system causes in American healthcare. Yippie!

Feel free to respond or PM me with any questions.

-OFD

The silver lining of all of this is that I'm getting an early education about the destruction that the US legal system causes in American healthcare. Yippie!

-OFD

I don't think it's near as simple as this. As I've said before, OHSU definately has it's issues.

Also, the tort cap seemed a little bit low to me for non-economic damages being set at $200,000 per incidence. These tort caps were set up for public institutions, fire departments etc. I'm not sure if they were necessarily set up for a practicing medical institution and with such a small percentage of the operating budget coming from the state I'm not sure what business we had being under the tort cap.

I think it's a complicated issue and I'm not sure if OHSU is definately the victim here. I'll have to do a lot more reading of the issues before coming to any conclusion.

On another note, I'm glad you got ahold of Dr. O, she's awesome. She's is definately available as are all of the administration to any inquiry or issue with a student. A very open administration for sure.

Thanks for the reply monkeyguts.

No, I highly doubt that its this simple. I think that some of these cuts/changes were probably on the bean-counters' wish list and this incident provided a convinient rationale to tighten the belt. I also think that this is an indirect result of OHSU's inability to successfully lobby for a legislative change to the tort cap. I'm with you on the need to increase it, as is the university administration. They tried to change it and failed. At the press conference, President Robertson said that had the cap been raised to as much as 1M per person and 3M per incident, this still wouldn't even be an issue. The problem is that without an upper bound, the school's insurers have to allocate for a catastrophic punitive damages award (not unheard of from many juries).

Indeed, I'm bemoaning the legal system not because it provided a remedy to the diminutive 200K cap issue, but because the only remedy it could provide was to remove the cap altogether rather than adjust it to be more reasonable. Judicial resolutions to anything but the most simple policy issues tend to be drastically more controversial, ham-fisted, and imperfect than the potentially more nuanced legislative solutions to the same problems. Its just sad that the political situation in this country is so polarized and self-interested that we have to leave our policy decisions to the intentionally limited purview of the courts.

Thanks for the reply monkeyguts.

No, I highly doubt that its this simple. I think that some of these cuts/changes were probably on the bean-counters' wish list and this incident provided a convinient rationale to tighten the belt. I also think that this is an indirect result of OHSU's inability to successfully lobby for a legislative change to the tort cap. I'm with you on the need to increase it, as is the university administration. They tried to change it and failed. At the press conference, President Robertson said that had the cap been raised to as much as 1M per person and 3M per incident, this still wouldn't even be an issue. The problem is that without an upper bound, the school's insurers have to allocate for a catastrophic punitive damages award (not unheard of from many juries).

Indeed, I'm bemoaning the legal system not because it provided a remedy to the diminutive 200K cap issue, but because the only remedy it could provide was to remove the cap altogether rather than adjust it to be more reasonable. Judicial resolutions to anything but the most simple policy issues tend to be drastically more controversial, ham-fisted, and imperfect than the potentially more nuanced legislative solutions to the same problems. Its just sad that the political situation in this country is so polarized and self-interested that we have to leave our policy decisions to the intentionally limited purview of the courts.

Absolutely true, I'm wondering how hard OHSU lobbied to actually increase the tortcap to 1M and 3M per incident and since these thoughts on the tort cap are at least two years old why hasn't more been done to plan for such a situation. I mean this was an extremely important issue. As you've suggested maybe an element of "tightening the belt" in part at the expense of a scapegoat.

I am also quite surprised by the fact that when these changes were made OHSU is focusing what seems in large part some of the burden on people that are least able to shoulder it.

1. Incoming and current students (not just medicine) who already pay a ridiculous amount of money in tuition
2. The underserved of Oregon.

According to the statements made from OHSU's leaders, OHSU is going to instead of expand their mission etc. etc. are now focused on strengthening the core of OHSU.

Our catch-phrase is.....OHSU.....where healing, teaching and discovery come together. I don't know how this is strengthening healing and teaching at the moment, perhaps it will become more clear at a future juncture.

I think it also highlights OHSU's rather poor relationship with the state, but OHSU seems to have taken a "we'll show you" attitude which is really just going to hurt the proverbial "little guy" in the end.

Thanks for all the info about everything, OHSU has its ups and downs but really seems like an awesome place. Interviewed and waiting for the results, don't want to get my hopes up knowing how the app process works and all but I'm leaning toward OHSU if I get in.

I called OHSU today and spoke with Dr. Osborne who is the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. Before I get in to what she said, I think its pretty amazing that I could call and get connected with such a high-up Dean on the first try without even making a fuss. And she spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me.

Anyway, I asked her about the tuition hike and she said that the number is between 17 and 25 percent of current rates, but they don't yet have a concrete figure. She expects to have a new tuition number by March 1, but of course the changes are coming from "on high" so the timing is not in her control. The percentage will be applied evenly to both in and out of state students, although the net change will necessarily be higher for the OOS because their old tuition is higher to begin with.

I also asked about how these budget woes might effect the medical student experience, and she said that other than the tuition issue there really won't be any visible change. Away rotations in Bend and Eugene may suffer, but the rural rotation is still in effect and there won't be cuts in any of the educational programs. The March Wellness Center (gym on South Waterfront) will be outsourced to Gold's or 24 Hour or someone but because the building is owned by OHSU, students and faculty will still have free use of the facility. It is unlikely to be closed completely as the South Waterfront condo market is ripe for a new gym and the other service providers actually made a bid for the contract a few years ago but OHSU turned them down. Looks like they have the las laugh.

I was also impressed by the fact that Dean Osborne was not unequivocally supportive of my going to OHSU if I had other options. We talked about the California schools and I indicated that I'd still choose OHSU over UCSD despite the cost issues, but I said that UCSF would win over Oregon. She agreed on both decisions, saying that OHSU was worth the tuition bump over SD but SF was my best choice if I got in.

Lastly, I asked her if the tuition bump was likely to come back down if some miracle fell from the sky and made this bad situation go away. She said that if something did happen, the Dean's office would petition hard for a reduction because they don't want OHSU to become the next U. Colorado (72K OOS tuition) and lose their standing as "the next great thing" on the west coast. However, a miracle is unlikely. Even if a new tort cap were passed by the legislature, it would have to be tested and proven in court before the liability offsets that OHSU now has to pay would decrease substantially. This process may take 4-5 years at minimum. The only quick hope is that the state kicks OHSU more from their general fund, but this is very unlikely given the state's own budget woes and the long-standing tradition of decreasing funding to the school. Plus, the negative public impression of OHSU's financial management that came about after the tram debacle makes any groundswell of support unlikely.

-OFD

Thank you for this post. We receive an email from someone somewhere at OHSU about every other day to update the status of OHSU under the new tort cap decision, and until today's really big exam, I haven't taken the time to keep up with it all.

I guess the state had tort caps on all government agencies, and there was a question as to whether OHSU should be considered a government agency. So, the good news is that OHSU is considered to be part of the Oregon government. The bad news is they removed the tort cap on everybody. It was tacked onto another bill, that no one expected to get through, and it caught everyone with their pants down, so to speak, when it passed. So now everyone's frantically scrambling to right things. OHSU has also had a lot of building and improvements recently (that may not be a new thing, but I'm new here, and I'm noticed a lot of impressive brand new things) so I'm sure that hasn't helped the coffers any.

Anyhow, I appreciate your post, and I'm glad Dr. O shared her two cents with you, too. I haven't yet had the pleasure of developing a personal relationship with her, but I hear she's pretty awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
does OHSU have an email address for the admissions office?

Well, after many months lurking and a few months posting on this thread I'm signing off... I just got the good word from UCSF so that's where I'll be heading in the fall. As much as I loved OHSU and Portland, I can't pass up a chance to go to another of the west coast's finest institutions, particularly at an instate price. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions and provided support. Best of luck, and who knows... maybe I'll see you in 4 years for residency!!
-OFD

3.96 and a 37 mcat can apparently get you into UCSF in-state... well that's good news. :laugh:

Well, after many months lurking and a few months posting on this thread I'm signing off... I just got the good word from UCSF so that's where I'll be heading in the fall. As much as I loved OHSU and Portland, I can't pass up a chance to go to another of the west coast's finest institutions, particularly at an instate price. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions and provided support. Best of luck, and who knows... maybe I'll see you in 4 years for residency!!
-OFD

Congratulations! That's excellent--I'm super stoked for you. Best of luck, and enjoy SF!

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone could put me in contact with a dr to shadow in the portland/vancouver area...any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Can anybody here who's gotten final decisions on OHSU (accept/waitlist/decline) give some insight on how long the turnaround time is for hearing results after the interview? The packet says 4-6 weeks but do they usually run late? Waiting....sigh

Can anybody here who's gotten final decisions on OHSU (accept/waitlist/decline) give some insight on how long the turnaround time is for hearing results after the interview? The packet says 4-6 weeks but do they usually run late? Waiting....sigh

Interviewed 11/29, Rec'd acceptance 12/27... 4 weeks.

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone could put me in contact with a dr to shadow in the portland/vancouver area...any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I had some trouble with this when I first called around trying to shadow. I would recommend calling or emailing your physician out here, and explain your interest in medicine and ask if you could shadow him/her for a while.

Has anyone on here really tried to get into the CRISP program at OHSU, but had the schedule fill up for three sessions in a row? Its so frustrating.

Hi all...it's great to see this thread...lots of valuable information...

Here's my dilemma:

cgpa 2.63 sgpa 2.83 = many early undergrad screwups

3.53 gpa for physician assistant program at U of Washington SOM

currently have 3.3 gpa at PSU in the MPH program (graduate in June)

lacking OChem and (am I right biochem is a mandatory prereq?) Biochem as well as MCAT...

I was an EMT Paramedic for 12 years and have been a thoracic/vascular/trauma surgery physician assistant for 6 years at Legacy Emanuel and Southwest Washington Medical Center...published, doing active clinical research, AWESOME LORs from several prominent surgeons in the area...

Plan: take Ochem this summer at PSU as intensive, along with maybe Kaplan...take August MCAT...

From the locals: what do you think my chances are at avoiding the Caribbean (esp Dr Bubbles, MonkeyKuts, and ZagDoc's opinions will be appreciated) and staying local?

Cheers....BTW regarding the earlier posts - the happy hour at Portland City Grill cannot be beat for the value, food, drinks, and the scenery (both inside and outside the building!) :thumbup:

Has anyone on here really tried to get into the CRISP program at OHSU, but had the schedule fill up for three sessions in a row? Its so frustrating.

So sorry to hear about that. I am currently in the program and was lucky enough to get in about a year ago, before it became so competitive. I kind of feel bad for keeping my spot when I've already gotten so much out of it and there are people like you who really want in.

Good luck, eventually it will happen!

Be careful about taking summer OChem and Kaplan at same time. That seems overambitious. You should really focus on MCAT prep when you have more free time.

i dont know whats up with the schedule. i had no problems getting several shifts a week the last two schedules, that is between december and feb. but for the schedule starting this week till the end of march, i was only given one single shift! i even have over 100 hrs..it sucks..im trying to pick up other peoples shifts as much as possible..thats the best thing to do in this situation

Here's my dilemma:

lacking OChem and (am I right biochem is a mandatory prereq?) Biochem as well as MCAT...

I was an EMT Paramedic for 12 years and have been a thoracic/vascular/trauma surgery physician assistant for 6 years at Legacy Emanuel and Southwest Washington Medical Center...published, doing active clinical research, AWESOME LORs from several prominent surgeons in the area...

Plan: take Ochem this summer at PSU as intensive, along with maybe Kaplan...take August MCAT...

From the locals: what do you think my chances are at avoiding the Caribbean (esp Dr Bubbles, MonkeyKuts, and ZagDoc's opinions will be appreciated) and staying local?

Cheers....BTW regarding the earlier posts - the happy hour at Portland City Grill cannot be beat for the value, food, drinks, and the scenery (both inside and outside the building!) :thumbup:

Wow--your experience sounds awesome. I second the former post--taking orgo and MCAT at the same time is no fun. It's doable, and it's do well-able, but you have to be comfortable and confident that you know how to do well. If you want to ensure you do well, it might be easier to take them separately.

Based on your experience, I would say you certainly have a shot at OHSU, especially if you're in-state. If your residency is in Washington, I don't think you get any bonus points for being local. Your paramedic experience will definitely play in your favor, as will your PA experience. Your PA gpa will also definitely help.

It's important to do well on the MCAT, and it's super important for you especially to do well in your more recent coursework, due to your undergraduate gpa, so I would encourage you to separate orgo and the MCAT. Additionally, biochem and genetics are required for OHSU, and calculus and/or statistics are always welcomed.

You certainly have a shot with your background at OHSU if you're a resident--if possible, it would definitely help to have a final total overall gpa above a 3.4 or 3.5. With your PA school gpa and your pre-req classes, that might be possible for you. If OHSU doesn't work out, I still feel you might get in elsewhere; it just wouldn't be locally.

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me with any more questions. Best of luck!

Just to note:

I took OChem over the summer at PSU with Dr. Wamser. He is truly an incredible and inspiring teacher.

That being said, Organic Chemistry is very challenging. I spent most of the day studying after class and lab, and made A's. But it really took up most of my brain space every day.

I think the MCAT requires very different skills and ways of thinking, and so I would concentrate on studying for it separately (read: after) from ochem.

You really, really want to rock the MCAT with your story. Above a 32-33 would make you an excellent candidate, I think, at OHSU, esp. if you could hang on to residency.

These med school people, I think, like an interesting story, and plenty of clinical experience, which you've got. If you show them objective, standardized aptitude (MCAT), I feel like they would like you.

Hey everyone!

I'm an out-of-state applicant with an OHSU MSTP interview coming up and I have some questions that maybe someone could help me answer...

1) For any current students: exactly how big is the MSTP class? I've heard rumors that it is very small but I've also had some trouble actually tracking down anyone who has interviewed for their program, so I really have no idea how true this is.

2) How are the hostels in Portland? I'm staying a few extra days in the area and I'm thinking of crashing at a hostel, are any better than others?

3) I've heard that Portland has some amazing parks, but is it worth going to check them out in the winter (granted, I'm writing this in the middle of a blizzard so it may not really be as bad over there)? And will there be anything resembling nightlife on a Sunday?

I think that's it. I absolutely love the school, and I'm just hoping that I can rock my interview and get in!

Here's my dilemma:

I have no idea, nor do I think anybody else really does on this board either. Truthfully speaking, I will say that's an extremely low U-grad GPA for OHSU (and for that matter allo schools in general).

Experience is good especially at OHSU, but by no means is it everything. I was a medic with multiple years experience, volunteer hours up the ***, shadowing, research, life experience, etc. etc., but I also had the academic statistics (GPA + MCAT).

It's tough to gauge your entire picture as you haven't taken O-Chem yet, biochem etc. (major pre-med courses) and have yet to take the MCAT.

At this point in time from what information you have given, I would say you have quite an uphill road to get into OHSU. Again, solely an opinion and probably a poor one at that. Best of luck to you sir.

Hey everyone!

I'm an out-of-state applicant with an OHSU MSTP interview coming up and I have some questions that maybe someone could help me answer...

1) For any current students: exactly how big is the MSTP class? I've heard rumors that it is very small but I've also had some trouble actually tracking down anyone who has interviewed for their program, so I really have no idea how true this is.

2) How are the hostels in Portland? I'm staying a few extra days in the area and I'm thinking of crashing at a hostel, are any better than others?

3) I've heard that Portland has some amazing parks, but is it worth going to check them out in the winter (granted, I'm writing this in the middle of a blizzard so it may not really be as bad over there)? And will there be anything resembling nightlife on a Sunday?

I think that's it. I absolutely love the school, and I'm just hoping that I can rock my interview and get in!

So, I haven't been on sdn in a while, so I apologize if no one addressed your questions prior to your interview. Here's my 2 cents:

1) I'm a first year, and there are 5 MSTP students in my class.
2) Hostels--I honestly don't know the names of any hostels (but I know there's on at about NW Glisan and 16th? maybe? Or, you could look on Craig's list, and see if anyone's renting a room out for the time you're here. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!
3) Definitely check out the parks! Check out Forest Park/Washington Park, any of the other local parks (Mt. Tabor Park is pretty fun too). If you have a car while you're here, maybe try to get out to the Columbia River Gorge, the coast, or Mt. Hood. There are so many ways to be outdoors here, year-round. Just bring a raincoat.

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Hey Portlanders,

I got rejected from everywhere (including OHSU as an OR resident with a good MCAT!), so I want to bump-up my science GPA this summer.

Where can one take summer bio classes?

PSU- very small selection of upper division bio classes.
PCC - community college doesn't look the best.

UP??
Lewis and Clark?

Thanks!

If there's anything that will work for you at PSU, I would go with that.

If there's anything that will work for you at PSU, I would go with that.

I'm sorry you didn't get accepted at OHSU. There are, however, ways to beef up your gpa for a future application.

I second LEdaddy's advice. Then, if you've taken all PSU has to offer, Oregon State has some online courses (I think some start this month, and the next round starts later, but doesn't end till mid-August.) It's pretty simple to enroll online. Community College courses aren't well-received by med schools, so I would advise against that route. If I recall, Lewis and Clark didn't have much over the summer, and I apologize--I can't remember about UP or Reed.

You do have another option, if you're interested in considering it. I ended up applying for special master's programs (I started the apps in April, submitted them in May) and was accepted immediately into 2 out of 3 of them to begin in August. I ended up taking eight graduate level advanced biology courses, got a Master's and started med school a year the fall after I graduated.

Best of luck!

FYI, I was accepted at OHSU and took biochem at Portland Community College. I talked to admissions before enrolling in the class, and they said it really wouldn't make a difference considering that I already had a degree from another university and was currently working full time (so community college offered a better class schedule for me).

That said, I feel the education I got there was not the best. It allowed me to slack off, but might bite me later!

ok, so how did everyone's interviews go at OHSU? Who's applying this summer?

During your third year medicine rotation you have rounds with the chief of medicine at OHSU and it is physical diagnosis rounds and this teaches a lot, the guy is amazing.

Agreed. Dr. Loriaux is truly amazing. No matter what area you want to go into, he makes you really want to "get it" and view each patient as a puzzle. I wish I can gain even half his clinical instinct by the time I'm retired.

Another amazing person at OHSU. Dr. O really wants to do everything in her power to make sure you end up happy and successful in your medical career.

I'm applying to OHSU this summer. Also, I am hoping to take biochem at PSU this summer - anyone else?

Oh yeah, the date is almost here for the acceptance wave to crash on us. Anyone out there sticking it out until the end with OHSU? I'm accepted to Wayne State in-state but really want to hold out for OHSU if it works out.

Can anyone give me any advice/comments on the advantages of OHSU versus Wayne State? I've been reading up on the tort and all that, but really just want some assurance that the clinical experience at OHSU is early and awesome. Was a great experience visiting Portland and am about 70% sure I want to go back if I get the opportunity!!!

I'm also sticking it out here. I had an April 1st interview, which I thought was the best April Fool's Day gift ever.

Oh yeah, the date is almost here for the acceptance wave to crash on us. Anyone out there sticking it out until the end with OHSU? I'm accepted to Wayne State in-state but really want to hold out for OHSU if it works out.

Can anyone give me any advice/comments on the advantages of OHSU versus Wayne State? I've been reading up on the tort and all that, but really just want some assurance that the clinical experience at OHSU is early and awesome. Was a great experience visiting Portland and am about 70% sure I want to go back if I get the opportunity!!!

Clinical Experience = Early + Awesome

I was in clinic by (I think) the second week in September (we started the last week in August.) I have learned so much in my year of preceptorship--it's one of the reasons I chose OHSU. You'll be in clinic about one half-day a week (different if you're with an ER doc). One year you'll be with a primary care physician, and one year you'll be with three different specialists.

Also, the Principles of Clinical Medicine class is a work in progress, but so far I've had the director of what might be called the Oregon Medical Group? as a facilitator, and he's also the director of Project Access NOW--a program for referrals for the community clinics. I've also had the former director of Oregon's National Health Service Corps. (She passed away in November. :() Additionally I had the chief of medicine--he's truly amazing to learn from, really just to hear him speak is pretty awesome. I tend to talk too much, and he's one of the few people I am able to easily just keep my mouth shut, listen, learn, appreciate, and admire. I've had a number of anesthesiologists--they are super laid back, and good people to be around. And some other interesting folk.

You should come to OHSU!

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I am curious about the pre-med scene at PSU from former and current students.

How competitive or non-competitive is it?
How is the quality of education?
Is it fairly easy or easier to get "A"s?
Would you recommend pre-meds to go there?
What majors are good there?

Oh and how is the social scene?
I heard it is somewhat lacking.

Thanks in advance. :)

Portland is cool. It is the second coolest city in the NW for sure, behind Seattle of course. :)

Although, I am now pretty envious that you guys have a basketball team and we don't.

Hello, I know this is an old thread but I am curious about the pre-med scene at PSU from former and current students.

How competitive or non-competitive is it?
How is the quality of education?
Is it fairly easy or easier to get "A"s?
Would you recommend pre-meds to go there?
What majors are good there?

Oh and how is the social scene?
I heard it is somewhat lacking.

Thanks in advance. :)

I only took pre-med science requirements here over the summer, but I had a good experience. I think sometimes Portland State gets a bad rap because it's a commuter school, so there's not the same community or social scene as other undergrads. That being said, there are students that live on campus, lots of clubs, and I believe a few fraternities and sororities. I had awesome teachers for the most part, and I don't think the classes were easier than other schools (in my experience taking lower division science courses). It's definitely a legitimate undergraduate university, and since it's right in downtown there are a lot of opportunities for activities both through the schools there and outside the university.

Long story short, it's a good school in a great location right downtown, but don't go there if your only reason is because you think it's easy, or for the social scene. If you're looking to go somewhere for your whole undergraduate career, live on campus, and have the full college experience, I'd look into OSU or UO.