Berkeley Review in 2.5 months

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already taken the MCAT once and scored a 28R. I am completely motivated to studying for this beast again and taking it in late May.
For anyone who has used the Berkeley Review books for home study, is it feasible for me to go through all those books and their CBTs before the May test? I'm willing to sacrifice the time for it, but I just want to make sure it's realistic.
It's also going to cost me ~$500 total (which is okay, I would sell my whole Examkrackers and Kaplan sets), so I want to be sure before I make that huge investment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have already taken the MCAT once and scored a 28R. I am completely motivated to studying for this beast again and taking it in late May.
For anyone who has used the Berkeley Review books for home study, is it feasible for me to go through all those books and their CBTs before the May test? I'm willing to sacrifice the time for it, but I just want to make sure it's realistic.
It's also going to cost me ~$500 total (which is okay, I would sell my whole Examkrackers and Kaplan sets), so I want to be sure before I make that huge investment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

The Berkeley Review books are very intimidating, especially the Biology books. You better be ready to study your a55 off for at least five hours a day, everyday. Their practice material is great but they're tricky. Don't buy into the hype too much, there are plenty of people who scored 40 on the MCAT on EK and Kaplan alone, just read the 30+ study habbits thread. TBR hasnt been put to the test like EK and Kaplan, but I believe they're good investments personally.

btw, I REALLY doubt you'll be able to make even $150 from selling the Kaplan and EK sets, so dont have your hope set up on that and always have a backup plan.

I would suggest ditch the BR bio and orgo idea, and just study for those subjects with EK or Kaplan (I love Kaplan for Bio & Orgo) BR goes too in depth, and could wind up hurting you by weighing you down with excess info (remember some passages combine topics... so you not only need to know the info, but figure out what information you need to use to answer the question, knowing too much biology could confuse the information filtering process when answering questions).

But I just got the Chem and Physics BR books, and can attest that they are great, their content review is very good. but the best part are the passages, and answer explanations... just dedicate at least one day/section on Chem and Physics from BR (note I say at least, because going over the practice passages and explanations takes a LONG time!) if you stick to the schedule, 25 days or so should be enough to finish Physics & Chem review and practice...

going over Bio & Orgo with Kaplan & EK can be done in 2 weeks (full time studying) which leaves you with about a month of taking practice exams...

BR gets good reviews for their practice exams...

as I mentioned in another thread... be WARNED, depending on where you live in the US, getting the BR material could take up to 1 MONTH! (I live in NY, that's how long it took to get my books, I paid by personal check- I heard money order is faster) so factor in how much time you will lose waiting for the review books into your schedule

it can be done, but you really need the full time studying, i started mine on feb and i am half way done now, i was originally studying ek 1001 with the tbr, but decided to review that later, i think if you do 1 chapter aday, 3 content review 5 hours problems than it can def be done,
but it does take really long time to get the books, it took me almost three weeks, the actual transportation took 2 days, but it takes them really long time to process it at the br office, and they don't let you pick it up
so, if you are planning on it now, do the money order (processed as soon as recieved) and do fast shipping..

Members don't see this ad :)
The Berkeley Review books are very intimidating, especially the Biology books. You better be ready to study your a55 off for at least five hours a day, everyday. Their practice material is great but they're tricky. Don't buy into the hype too much, there are plenty of people who scored 40 on the MCAT on EK and Kaplan alone, just read the 30+ study habbits thread. TBR hasnt been put to the test like EK and Kaplan, but I believe they're good investments personally.

btw, I REALLY doubt you'll be able to make even $150 from selling the Kaplan and EK sets, so dont have your hope set up on that and always have a backup plan.

This is where we disagree. The vast majority of people on this forum are excellent students. Kaplan and TPR are the most commonly used items in the 30+ forum due to their large market share. You guys only see the top scorers.

At my school, I know of 15 people who used Kaplan, the top 4 scored greater than 39. However, a bunch of kids only scored in the 20's or low 30s. The average BR students scores a 30, however, a lot of these kids are smart as they attend Cal, UCLA, etc. Overall TBR is the best because of the passages. Their Bio book is bad, but who cares, Bio is the one subject most premeds are strong in.

Finally, the advantage of all these prep courses is the practice they offer. For those who can't afford a course, TBR gives one massive amounts of practice at a reasonable price. I love EK, however, it's only good if you have the requisite background.

I graduated hs in 2004 and have lurked since then. I have all the materials. As far as materials are concerned:

Physics TPR is money for physics. TBR is too, they offer tricks, however I like the mathematical emphasis of TPR. For weaker students, TBR is probably better. The 30+ backs me up on this. Look at the most recent posts and how many praise TPR. Nova is good too if you're weak. However, their passages are too easy.

For bio, I think kaplan is the best and EK a close second. You'll see countless people who utilized both; this is backed up in the 30+ section.

For O-chem, Kaplan covers every thing and EK gives a good conceptual review. I would used both. The BR is good as well.

For chemistry, nothing should be mentioned in the same sentence as TBR. TPR is a distant second.

The following are for content. The most important thing about the MCAT is practice. Here's how I would rate them:

Bio 1. Kaplan Passages from Exams 2. TPR Science workbook passages 3. EK Bio 101 passages.
I love the Kaplan as they contain lots of experimental and force you to extrapolate the most.

O-chem 1. BR Passages 2. Kaplan from Exams 3. TPR Science passages

Physics 1. TBR passages 2. TPR passages 3. EK 1001

Chemistry 1. TBR passages 2. TPR Science WB 3. who cares

OP. I would buy TBR gen chem, physics, and O-chem. Study from physics and chem for content. Just do the passages for O-chem books. I'd get Kaplan Bio and use EK 101 bio passages.

Finally, also consider the passages approach. By this I mean, just do as many passages and questions as possible. You will learn more than enough content with this method. It has been done by a few people in the past. Don't waste too much time on content.

This is where we disagree. The vast majority of people on this forum are excellent students. Kaplan and TPR are the most commonly used items in the 30+ forum due to their large market share. You guys only see the top scorers.

At my school, I know of 15 people who used Kaplan, the top 4 scored greater than 39. However, a bunch of kids only scored in the 20's or low 30s. The average BR students scores a 30, however, a lot of these kids are smart as they attend Cal, UCLA, etc. Overall TBR is the best because of the passages. Their Bio book is bad, but who cares, Bio is the one subject most premeds are strong in.

Finally, the advantage of all these prep courses is the practice they offer. For those who can't afford a course, TBR gives one massive amounts of practice at a reasonable price. I love EK, however, it's only good if you have the requisite background.

I graduated hs in 2004 and have lurked since then. I have all the materials. As far as materials are concerned:

Physics TPR is money for physics. TBR is too, they offer tricks, however I like the mathematical emphasis of TPR. For weaker students, TBR is probably better. The 30+ backs me up on this. Look at the most recent posts and how many praise TPR. Nova is good too if you're weak. However, their passages are too easy.

For bio, I think kaplan is the best and EK a close second. You'll see countless people who utilized both; this is backed up in the 30+ section.

For O-chem, Kaplan covers every thing and EK gives a good conceptual review. I would used both. The BR is good as well.

For chemistry, nothing should be mentioned in the same sentence as TBR. TPR is a distant second.

The following are for content. The most important thing about the MCAT is practice. Here's how I would rate them:

Bio 1. Kaplan Passages from Exams 2. TPR Science workbook passages 3. EK Bio 101 passages.
I love the Kaplan as they contain lots of experimental and force you to extrapolate the most.

O-chem 1. BR Passages 2. Kaplan from Exams 3. TPR Science passages

Physics 1. TBR passages 2. TPR passages 3. EK 1001

Chemistry 1. TBR passages 2. TPR Science WB 3. who cares

OP. I would buy TBR gen chem, physics, and O-chem. Study from physics and chem for content. Just do the passages for O-chem books. I'd get Kaplan Bio and use EK 101 bio passages.

Finally, also consider the passages approach. By this I mean, just do as many passages and questions as possible. You will learn more than enough content with this method. It has been done by a few people in the past. Don't waste too much time on content.

I was disagreeing with the fact that TBR hasn't been tested. It has by all the Cali kids, just not on a national basis.

what about TBR bio passages?

I'm telling you, Kaplan Bio is cash money. When you're done with that, get EK Bio. EK 101 passages and TPR workbook for bio passages. You should be able to find TPR Science workbook for cheap. Go through EK 101 bio first. Then do the tPR practices. Good luck.

i actually like bio passages, but the test writer seems to live in the wonderworld, really wierd logic, i personally like ek bio best, but i wouldn't call br bio garbage!!

Members don't see this ad :)
you're right, it doesn't have passages. supplement your class book with your online resources, especially the quizzes, sectional tests, and qbank.

it does not take a MONTH to receive the books in the continental US. if you actually read the instructions on TBR's site, then you know NOT to pay by check. they said directly on their site that your books will not be mailed until the check is cashed. if you pay by money order, you will get the books in a few days. I live in the midwest, sent my money order in on a Tuesday and got all the books in a huge box in 3 days.

I just finished TBR's organic, gen chem, and physics books. theyr'e amazing. I've been through Kaplan and EK's and they just can't compare. TBR whoops the other companies because of all their passages. Kaplan has no passages and EK's passages are worthless. it is integral to do passages as you are doing content review. Note: I said passages, not full-length tests. you learn how to apply the material through taking passages.

I avoided TBR's bio becuase of all the hate it gets on these forums haha. the bio part of the BS really is all about reading comprehension. you don't need to know discrete details on bio. I'm going to do a quick bio review with EK bio and then EK 101 passages and TPR science workbook.

I haven't tested my knowledge yet on a FL test, though. I won't be doing that until April, mainly because I want to make sure I'm fully rejected from schools this year before I invest in buying more practice tests lol. :laugh:

it does not take a MONTH to receive the books in the continental US. if you actually read the instructions on TBR's site, then you know NOT to pay by check. they said directly on their site that your books will not be mailed until the check is cashed. if you pay by money order, you will get the books in a few days. I live in the midwest, sent my money order in on a Tuesday and got all the books in a huge box in 3 days.

I just finished TBR's organic, gen chem, and physics books. theyr'e amazing. I've been through Kaplan and EK's and they just can't compare. TBR whoops the other companies because of all their passages. Kaplan has no passages and EK's passages are worthless. it is integral to do passages as you are doing content review. Note: I said passages, not full-length tests. you learn how to apply the material through taking passages.

I avoided TBR's bio becuase of all the hate it gets on these forums haha. the bio part of the BS really is all about reading comprehension. you don't need to know discrete details on bio. I'm going to do a quick bio review with EK bio and then EK 101 passages and TPR science workbook.

I haven't tested my knowledge yet on a FL test, though. I won't be doing that until April, mainly because I want to make sure I'm fully rejected from schools this year before I invest in buying more practice tests lol. :laugh:

Well, it took me one month to get the books... so yest it CAN take up to a month to get the books, I can attest to that, you live in the Midwest, so it takes a shorter amount of time for the books to get to you than to someone who lives in the Northeast, It took the books 1 week to get to me after they were shipped! even Money orders usually take a day to two for processing... so for someone living in the northeast, it will take AT LEAST 2 weeks to get the books after they mail in their order form...

and there is not a huge difference between the time it takes for a personal check and money order to get processed (my check was cleared by my bank 3 days after BR received it) but the difference in timing was due to a delay in BR shipping my book even after the check had been cleared...

yes, it is better to pay by money order, but don't give false information with such conviction

Well, it took me one month to get the books... so yest it CAN take up to a month to get the books, I can attest to that, you live in the Midwest, so it takes a shorter amount of time for the books to get to you than to someone who lives in the Northeast, It took the books 1 week to get to me after they were shipped! even Money orders usually take a day to two for processing... so for someone living in the northeast, it will take AT LEAST 2 weeks to get the books after they mail in their order form...

and there is not a huge difference between the time it takes for a personal check and money order to get processed (my check was cleared by my bank 3 days after BR received it) but the difference in timing was due to a delay in BR shipping my book even after the check had been cleared...

yes, it is better to pay by money order, but don't give false information with such conviction

If I remember correctly their site states that they hold your check for 10 business days before they ship you the books, so that means that even if your bank processed the check after three days they still have 7 business days to wait to ship you the books (that's almost 2 weeks).

I highly doubt it takes a month to get the books if you pay by money order, but I'll let you know for sure. I'm dropping my money order in the mail tomorrow. Once my books get to me if you can add 2 days to the delivery time it should compensate for the additional delivery time to the northeast based on my location. This will give you an indication of what it most likely "would" have taken for delivery had you used a money order.

I'm guessing I'll have my books either next Friday or the following Monday.

Just as a follow-up: I dropped my money order in the mail on 03/12/09 and received my books today 03/24/09. That is 9 business day with ground shipping, including the time it took for my order to get to them (standard USPS).

I don't think this a bad turnaround time at all. If you are on the east coast add about 2-3 business days to that order time, if you do ground shipping.

Overall order satisfaction: :thumbup:

Most of the overkill on TBR bio is in the molecular genetics and genetic information chapters, however, the reproduction/development, cardio, GI/Kidneys, and physiology in general sticks to the salient points.

If you are using the rubric that the TBR bio sucks because it is difficult, then I agree. However, the TBR bio at least forces you to extrapolate information from graphs and tables rather than vomit out rote memorization....which is what the MCAT will likely do.

For comparison, the TBR bio passages are much more like the EK bio 30 mintute lecture passages, rather than the in chapter 10-question one liner discretes. Anyone that has done the EK 30-minute lecture questions in the "little" bio book knows that they pretty much destroy your self-worth. Low self worth = Learn a bunch

Kaplan is generally the whipping boy because of their size, but I find their bio to be quite good. In short, I wouldn't discount the TBR passages, but I also wouldn't try to read the content review prior to the passages.

I guess so! :D

I read a post that said if you do, do that, you will kill sciences. I am still debating whether or not I should get TPR or TBR. Generally I think TPR is cheapest overall.

That's overkill. Get either TPR or TBR. TBR is overall better because of passages but TPR is still good. Don't get both.

I read a post that said if you do, do that, you will kill sciences. I am still debating whether or not I should get TPR or TBR. Generally I think TPR is cheapest overall.

I'm not sure about TPR being the least expensive. I was under the impression that most of the positive reviews were for the TPR hyperlearning course books, which are a few hundred on ebay. That's about what you would spend on the BR review books as well and they would be brand new.

I wrote that post. I DIDN'T say to get both. I SAID to get TBR chem and Physics books AND TPR science work book. You should be able to get the workbook for cheap to those who don't have it.

It's great except if you buy the full set from someone, it is cheaper than retail, if you don't, most aren't willing to separate their sets. Thanks for the post though.

I wrote that post. I DIDN'T say to get both. I SAID to get TBR chem and Physics books AND TPR science work book. You should be able to get the workbook for cheap to those who don't have it.

It's great except if you buy the full set from someone, it is cheaper than retail, if you don't, most aren't willing to separate their sets. Thanks for the post though.

Go to amazon.com You can get the workbook for cheap. Also look on ebay, it pops up from time to time. Finally, check out half.com. You CAN definitely get the workbook WITHOUT the set. Countless people on here have.

I ordered the books with a credit card and choose the 2-3 shipping to New York.

Sent order form on 5/8/10 received books 5/16/10 (sunday). Pretty good delivery and process time

Just as a follow-up: I dropped my money order in the mail on 03/12/09 and received my books today 03/24/09. That is 9 business day with ground shipping, including the time it took for my order to get to them (standard USPS).

I don't think this a bad turnaround time at all. If you are on the east coast add about 2-3 business days to that order time, if you do ground shipping.

I ordered the books with a credit card and choose the 2-3 shipping to New York.

Sent order form on 5/8/10 received books 5/16/10 (sunday). Pretty good delivery and process time

This has been incredibly useful, because people are often asking how long it takes for books to be delivered, and I have no idea. It sounds like it averages out to be about nine days from mailing the order to receiving the books. Not great, but not much slower than books from Amazon or ebay.