UTSW residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

outfitter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been reviews on UTSW anesthesia but i was wondering if there are any residents from there on this forum. If so could you comment on the prgram, the hours, the faculty, the techs, time to read?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Great numbers. Exposure to variety of cases, no shortage including plenty of traumas.

2. Variety. Being the only program in Dallas, we rotate at private hospitals affiliated with UTSW, Baylor, Childrens, Methodist and the VA. Great thing is that rotations are all 1 month so usually when you are tired of something its time to move on

3. Faculty. For the majority, gives you autonomy but readily available. You do have a good amount that will give you great mini lectures and clinical pearls in the OR. If you suggest that you would like to try something new, usually never a problem. Non-threatening. I'm actually a person whom learns from pimping because I think its a great way to prepare for oral boards so dissapointed in that area :confused: (good thing depending on how you look at it)

4. Higher-ups: Chair is Dr. Whitten and he is fantastic!!!!! One of the most endearing ppl that I know. RESIDENTS are his top priority. Always seeking ways to make and keep us happy. Dr. Griffin is the education director. His mission in life is to ensure that we are trained properly and will become board-certified anesthesiologists. He is constantly developing new ideas to help improve our curriculum. Also, very sincere and approachable if situations arise.

5. Hours: Very flexible and resident friendly. This is possible because of the amount of CRNAs we have. Very rarely do you stay beyond 3 unless you are on call or the late person. PLENTY of days I have left before 2. At the privates, if you stay beyound 5, you get paid like $64/hour. Only have like 8 months CA 1 year of call which is q 4, which does bite. YES, there have been days I've been up all night (2) but there have been days where I have went to bed at 9:30 and slept all night. Honestly the average is about 4 hours uniterrupted sleep +/-2. There is plenty of home call. This year so far, I've had 2 months of home call and was called in once for 1 hour and regardless if you didn't come in, you get the next day off.

I hear CA2 is basically home call. CA3 is whatever you make it.

6. Techs: Depends where you are but for the most part they get the job done. No real complaints because when you learn to do things your self YOU don't need to depend on anyone.

7. Reading time: PLENTY!!!!!!!! I have read a good amount of Barash and its only been 4 months.

8. Surgeons: Ortho is very cool, uro/plastics/ENT are kool but dealing with the Gen Surg RESIDENTS, not attendings is a challenge. Anesthesia is not for the weak in general but you definitely have to make it clear to them that they can't do your job better than you nor do they have a clue.

9. Dallas: pretty neutral for me. Great place to raise kids and cheap to buy a house but doesn't offer much more than that for me. I'm a fast lane person, bit too slow.

10. Research: just wanted to say a lil something about this. There is the standard 6 month CA3 elective which is competitive to obtain. But we are exploring ways to ensure opportunites for research are available early in an effort to continue to produce leaders in the field.

BEST part is the patients. They are just a great bunch and its a real pleasure to care for them. I pride myself on treating them with the respect that they deserve and its so rewarding!

p.s. Keep in mind that I'm married with a kid and I think this is a great, friendly family oriented place. I.e. I was a little blue a few weeks back and one of the chiefs came out of nowhere and told me to let her know if I needed a day off. I know, unheard of.

hope this helps!

Thank you so much for all the helpful info about UTSW.

Can you also talk about the structure of education/didactics?

How is lecture attendance handled, if you are rotating at different hospitals all over the city? Are you able to make it to the lectures, or are they online, or scheduled in a way that everyone can attend?

Thank you for any more info you can provide!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry I just saw the post requesting more info.

Well for preparation we use to have a series called Vaper Camp. It lasted 3 months and was 3 days a week. It was very informative but the 6am start times were grueling!!!! Now they will build it into intern year. So, in June, all interns will come and do their anesthesia month and the lecture series will be built into the regular day. We think this is much better that.

Wednesday mornings are grand rounds, m/m, journal club or mock orals. Other than that we now have web-based learning. Daily we are paged with topics to discuss with faculty in the OR, then you can read about that subject about a day later on the forum. Also on the forum are teaching cases of the week. Now I must say mock oral board prep is really awesome. We also have this at the majority of our monthly resident meetings.

Then there are sub-specialty didactics that vary.

Attendance is important but only when you are physically able to be there. You are not expected to drive to Parkland for m/m then to VA to be in the OR. Do well on ITE life is all good.

Do residents have time to moonlight as CA2 and Ca3s? How are the cardiac and neuro months as far as hours and call? How late do you stay in house on home call? Can you do a mini fellowship as CA3 and how many residents do this?

Thanks

Priority for moonlighting goes to Ca3. If spots are available CA2s do moonlight. And I am referring to 12 hour shifts on the weekend doing BTLs on OB. You have to have a full Texas license and have performed well on ITE. There are also ppl that moonlight outside with permission from Dr. Whitten.

From what I hear, CA2 hours are longer but mostly home call. For those who like to sleep in their own beds, this is great. For those who don't mind in-house call and leaving at 3, not so great.

When you are on general and have home call, I have left at 3:30 and one time 9:30. Average between 4-6. On sub specialty rotations, Im not sure.

CA3 year is entirely elective as long as you have your numbers. So, you can make it what you like including 6 months research option. Nice thing if interested in Ob anesthesia like myself, you don't have to do a fellowship coming from UTSW because of the volume.

OB/Gyn RN-OB: Can you comment on the cardiothoracic division...quality/# of cases, attendings, research etc.

As an outsider (oral surgery resident) who spent 4 months on anesthesia, I will say that the anesthesia residents at UTSW seem really happy. The vast majority of staff are really friendly, helpful, and eager to teach. Dallas is a great place for spouse/kids and even better for single people. If I had done anesthesia I think I would have been very happy there.

For those who want more of an honest assessment of UTSW Anesthesia. I am a CA-3 and my words reflect many others in the program. Moral is very low in the program not only with residents but with the faculty as well. The program lost many great faculty when Dr. Johnston the former chair was forced to resign. He was very pro-resident, and since his departure the program has has very little leadership and no vision.

The program is malignant in every way. I have spoken to many including the chief residents who say that the program is not resident friendly. There is very little time to read and study. You are simply a worker bee. Your education is not a priority. They will tell you over and over that your education and learning is their top priority, but it is all rhetoric. Actions speak louder than words and since I have been in the program I have seen very little effort go towards preparing us for boards.

Very few faculty will teach you. Yes there are some, but the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY have no interest in teaching. There are no structured, regular didactics. We get a page everyday telling us to read about a topic. That is pretty much the extent of our didactics.

A few of my colleagues are so unhappy that they have even thought of transferring to a different program. In general I know very few who are happy here. Most say that if they had it to do over again they would have chosen a different program. Most are simply resigned to the way things are.

For those who want more of an honest assessment of UTSW Anesthesia. I am a CA-3 and my words reflect many others in the program. Moral is very low in the program not only with residents but with the faculty as well. The program lost many great faculty when Dr. Johnston the former chair was forced to resign. He was very pro-resident, and since his departure the program has has very little leadership and no vision.

The program is malignant in every way. I have spoken to many including the chief residents who say that the program is not resident friendly. There is very little time to read and study. You are simply a worker bee. Your education is not a priority. They will tell you over and over that your education and learning is their top priority, but it is all rhetoric. Actions speak louder than words and since I have been in the program I have seen very little effort go towards preparing us for boards.

Very few faculty will teach you. Yes there are some, but the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY have no interest in teaching. There are no structured, regular didactics. We get a page everyday telling us to read about a topic. That is pretty much the extent of our didactics.

A few of my colleagues are so unhappy that they have even thought of transferring to a different program. In general I know very few who are happy here. Most say that if they had it to do over again they would have chosen a different program. Most are simply resigned to the way things are.

I have heard this from multiple applicants on the interview trail and from many who I know who did a sub-I there where the residents flat out told them not to do residency there. An overwhelming unhappy environment. That is the reason I canceled the interview. When one or two people tell me something negative about a program, I still need to find out on my own but when everybody starts saying negative things, I believe them and its not worth the travel $$.

Thank you for your input.

I'm just going to say this now and here on this thread:

This is not unique to UTSW.

Read that again.

If you are looking for a magical place with pixie and fairy dust and everyone walking around telling you how great you are and constantly licking your balls, you are going to be sorely disappointed no matter where you go.

Read that again.

Why am I saying this? I am at a program in the NE. Last year, I felt like the people at UTSW now feel. It was bad. It still is bad at my program. I was ready to come on here and say, "Stay away from XXXXXXXX at all costs!" People are still leaving it left and right (faculty). We feel we have a chairman who doesn't listen. Etc., etc., etc.

I'm going to tell you something I was told candidly recently.

There is a monstrous sh*tstorm brewing in our, as well as I imagine other, hospitals. EVERYONE is working harder. Census is up. We're expected to do more with less. The other departments constantly complain about how much the anesthesia department is coddled and babied, whether or not they actually realize what goes on. Our attendings, in some cases, make almost twice what some of the surgeons make. But, everyone in this profession is so damn self-absorbed that they can't see 2 inches beyond their own face.

No one wants to hear the Anesthesia department bitch.

Read that again.

What I came to realize early on in this academic year (as a newly minted CA-3) is that it doesn't matter. I'm going to get hosed no matter what. I could've gone anywhere else, and I would've gotten hosed too... maybe in a different way.

The fact is - just like the UTSW program - I have a phenomenal caseload to chose from. Phenomenal. I have talked to past grads who've gone out in the workforce and have told me how they are leaps and bounds ahead of their colleagues at the same level who had "cushy" programs. The level of autonomy they feel is amazing. They think on their feet. They've been used to working hard so it doesn't come as a shock to them in their first job. And, generally, everyone understands and respects the fact that they've probably encountered something in residency that some of their colleagues might have never seen. Do not discount the importance of that.

So, now I study when I can. I try not to complain. I take each extra case as an opportunity to learn, not something else to drudge through. Why shouldn't I? This is the only last chance I'll get to do this in a somewhat "protected" environment.

Long story short, I got off of my high horse expecting to be treated a certain way that I wasn't. (I still don't take any **** from anyone, though.) I buckled-down, and I started working with a new perspective.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST THAT MANY OF YOU GOING THROUGH THE MATCH THIS YEAR ADOPT THE ABOVE ATTITUDE NOW.

If you read this post and expect to be happy and at a perfect program for the next 3-4 years, you're going to be sorely disappointed. This industry (academic anesthesia) is constantly turning over. People come, people go. The fact that some of you might turn down the opportunity to train at an institution that has a huge reputation and does it all because of something you read on this forum or by listening to some griping residents is alarming to me. We're not talking about some community hospital in the middle of Idaho. This is friggin' Parkland.

PLEASE GET SOME PERSPECTIVE. NOW! Don't become a prima donna before you even get into a program. People will come to hate you. And, you won't have any reason to wonder, or anyone else to blame, when you're ostracized by your colleagues and co-workers, and no one wants your opinion or even to talk to you around the water cooler.

You're education now, just as it's always been, is 99% up to you. Remember that.

Thank you.-copro

Cop -

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

There must be SOME validity, however, in listening thru the grapevine, right? I've gotta tell you, there have only been two interviews of maybe 10 where the residents said "Don't come here". The fact no one at the other eight said such does leave a lasting impression. Maybe those 8 had cherry picked the "right" residents, but I'm not betting on it.

My overall impression, naive as I am, is that residents have not given me much of a warm and fuzzy feeling anywhere I've gone - lots have said "We're residents, we're gonna complain. We work hard (insert number of hours/wk here), but we get along, feel respected, and are getting good/great training". I'm not looking for a free pass in residency, but when students you meet on the trail tell you something about their home program, and then residents tell you the EXACT same thing, it does give you reason to think twice. One program with an extremely prominent reputation had a resident DOING the interviews telling us as applicants not to come there. What's a guy to think?

Best I figure I can do is listen to everything, see things with my own eyes, analyze, and then come up with my own opinion.

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
At UCSF, for example, the residents all said they work hard as hell but have great training and would do it again. UTSW was not like that according to its own students, residents and people I know who did a sub-I.

I don't mind working my ass off at all and I am not looking for a cush program. But even among those programs that have huge case loads and work hard, there can be a significant difference. When I have multiple people, inside and out, telling me that a program is bad, I have choices and will not be picking that one. That, in my humble opinion, would be stupid and I have gotten myself into that position before and like everyone said, regretted my decision.

If you ain't got something to complain about then you aint an anesthesia residency.
Residency is not a 4 year country club. I echo what Copro said, you only get one go around in residency. Learn as much as you can from your caseload. Don't pick a place cause it has great didactics yet you never get to do complicated cases. No matter what some gray hair lectures about for hours on end, you will still need to read on your own and study on your own for both the written and oral exams.
To the applicants:
Find a place with a breadth of different ways to do a case. This is what will make you the most flexible and therefore the most marketable to a future group. Dont get caught up with fancy computerized anesthesia records or the place with the most comfortable call rooms.

I agree and disagree with Copro's post.

There are many programs where you will work hard and do a bunch of great cases.

The difference is that some of these programs ARE malignant - not because you are working hard but because of other reasons.

The good news is that there are some great programs out there where you will work hard and the working environment is generally pleasant.

Unfortunately it's not easy to tell the difference between these two types of programs on the interview day.

I am fortunate to be in a great program with tons of big cases and a relatively friendly work environment.

I never said it wasn't like trying to make a decision about marrying a chick after the first date.

Point is this. You will meet all sorts of types in residency. There are the happy-go-lucky and clueless ***** types. There are the "bitch on wheels" continuous complainers. There are the "my-S.O./kid/BF-is-sick-I-need-the-day-off" types. There are the "quiet ones" (always worry about the quiet ones). Theres "the worm" (you don't want to deal with this guy). There's "King Teflon" (never seems to get in trouble). There's "**** magnet" (you don't want to take call with him/her). You follow me.

The one thing that all residents have in common: residency sucks.

This is relative to whatever field you are in and often, no matter who you are, it seems that the grass is always greener in some other field. Surgeons think we have it easy. Medicine residents think we have it easy. We look at some of the stuff that they do/get/have, but we can't or don't do/get/have, and we think they have it easy. You get the drift.

This tactic has been tried repeatedly on this forum throughout the years. Towards the end of interview season, people come on and talk down a particular program. Why? Well, the cynical conspiracy theorist, which is at least a small part of almost everyone's personality, would say that people are trying to scare away applicants to better their own chances.

I've sufficiently made my main point above. Now, the bottom line is this: UTSW is a program that you will be able to write your own ticket coming out of. I don't care what anyone else tells you. It ain't Western Idaho School of Anesthesiology and Cosmetic Dentistry. Do you guys follow that?

So, it really doesn't matter what anyone says, positive or negative, on this forum, about that program. Just as it doesn't matter what they say about Stanford, Columbia, Hopkins, Duke... you get my drift.

What it does say is that people are, for whatever reason, trying to potentially dissaude you from ranking a program. And, what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter what they say about UTSW. It is still UTSW. It always will be UTSW.

And, if you're the type that comes here and complains explicitly, albeit anonymously, about a premier program, you aren't going to be happy no matter where you go! That's a fact.

Good luck. Go into the next four years understanding that you are nothing more than a wart on some fat ugly chick's ass and you'll do fine no matter where you end up.

-copro

The difference is that some of these programs ARE malignant - not because you are working hard but because of other reasons.

Define malignant.

I assure you that there is as wide an individual variation in what constitutes "malignant" among prospective residents as there is about what represents "adequate penis size" among men and women.

-copro

One program with an extremely prominent reputation had a resident DOING the interviews telling us as applicants not to come there. What's a guy to think?

I'll tell you what I think...

You likely caught a snapshot from someone at a point-in-time who was pissed off about something. That person will, if they have a shred of maturity, likely regret later on that they said that to you and wish they could probably take it back. Also, that person, although clearly a bad choice by the interview committee (who probably isn't aware that he/she is saying such things to interviewees), is only representative of one person's opinion at the program.

If someone on an interview says, "Don't come here," what's a guy to think? Well, I'll tell you that you shouldn't think anything right away. You just met that person. You have no idea why they are saying that. You should start asking questions before you start thinking.

For example, when questioned about why he feels that way, he may answer you, "Yeah, don't come here. This place has q10 call from home, we only get $2000/yr for books, and we only get to go to one meeting per year. This place sucks."

You see what I mean? "Don't come here" is not a dialogue. That is a person's throw-away statement from which you have no idea the genesis. Maybe he's got a grudge? Maybe he's on some vendetta? Maybe he's just had it... a point we all get to at some point in residency.

I can't stress this enough: use the interview time to find out what you need to make your decision, not absorb what someone else's opinion is in a non-questioning, thought-insertion manner. If someone says, "Don't come here?" your knee-jerk response, even without thinking it, should be to say, "Can you please explain why?"

-copro

Hey cop i think your point is valid and people understand but when push comes to shove which are you going to rank higher a top program where everybody says i'll do it again or a top program where everybody says stay away?

Of course it might be wiser to chose a top "malignant" program over a mediocre cush one but then to each his own...

I would tell anyone who would ask to not touch my program with a 10ft pole but then not everybody would listen ;)

I don't understand why multiple people post great things about a program that aer not true. What is the benefit of lying to everyone you just end up with pissed off residents. I was interested in this program but know I am not sure. I contacted other ca3 residents from utsw that said their ca2 and ca3 year was much better. Home call on specialty months and next day of. 50 to 60 hrs per week during ca2 and ca3.

I don't understand why multiple people post great things about a program that aer not true. What is the benefit of lying to everyone you just end up with pissed off residents. I was interested in this program but know I am not sure. I contacted other ca3 residents from utsw that said their ca2 and ca3 year was much better. Home call on specialty months and next day off. 50 to 60 hrs per week during ca2 and ca3. I was told the worst months were general parkland q 4 but only 2 to 3 months total as ca2 and ca3. I have heard from all my friends in anest residency that ther is not enough teaching. So what is the truth about this program because decision time is coming.

Everyone has a different opinion and diff needs. Out of 75+ people, not everyone will be happy. You have to get a feel for a program and what will be suitable to your needs. Guaranteed, every program will have at least 1 disgruntled resident its the nature of the beast (beast being that of medicine). Follow your mind/heart and go with it. I gave my "opinions" hope they help someone.

Last edited:
I don't understand why multiple people post great things about a program that aer not true. What is the benefit of lying to everyone you just end up with pissed off residents. I was interested in this program but know I am not sure. I contacted other ca3 residents from utsw that said their ca2 and ca3 year was much better. Home call on specialty months and next day off. 50 to 60 hrs per week during ca2 and ca3. I was told the worst months were general parkland q 4 but only 2 to 3 months total as ca2 and ca3. I have heard from all my friends in anest residency that ther is not enough teaching. So what is the truth about this program because decision time is coming.

(First off, I have nothing to do with UTSW, just for the record. I don't even live in that part of the country, didn't go to med school there, and have only ever been to Dallas once in my life (and it wasn't to visit Parkland). I also don't personally know anyone from there, etc.)

I would say that this is the only time I would recommend doing a second look. If you seriously are considering this program and are seriously in contention for a spot, then go there and hang with the residents for a day or two and get to know what it's like working there. You can get a feel for what the average day is like, how many rooms are still running at 5:00 PM (etc.), what the OB load is like, and what kind of cases they do.

Ideally, you could spend three days there. First day, in the OR with one of the senior residents or with the person who manages the cases. Second day, with the person(s) who cover(s) the floor and/or does the blocks. Third day, L&D. This would tell you absolutely everything you need to know.

However
, I seriously doubt that you have that luxury of time, or that the program would allow you this much latitude (unless you are some national recognized award winning AOA candidate from one of the top 3 medical schools in the country who everyone in the ASA already knows and is politically active and #1 on everyone's rank list already... etc... etc...)

This is probably the only way that you're going to get all your questions answered before you submit your rank list.

-copro

So, I see that this post is really old, but I think it is referenced in newer posts, so I'll put in my 2 cents.
I graduated from UTSW recently, I am married and had a child during my residency. I was very happy with my resident experience at UTSW! We worked hard and we learned how to be excellent anesthesiolgists. I completely agree with Copro that if you catch the wrong resident on the wrong day you can get very conflicting information and we have ~20 residents per class, so there are many to choose from! Everyone in my class was very satisfied with their experience and would recommend this program to anyone. We had one resident transfer out for family reasons and we had another one transfer into our class, also for family reasons. The class above us had some whiners that I think may be the source of some of these negative comments. I have found that the most vocal people are usually those who are complaining! For example, these same residents who complain about our didactics are the ones who also didn't show up for our mock oral sessions. For those that don't know, our chairman is a board examiner (as well as Geiseki and soon Caroline Ferris) and he hosts a mock oral every month in the faculty club with food and beverages for the residents. This is a great educational experience and the people who are bitching don't even show up because you have to stay late (it starts at 4pm and most residents are out by 3-ish!!!!!!! - Gimme a break!)

So, take everything with a grain of salt, it's all about perspective. Try to get as much feedback as possible from as many people as possible when your visiting different programs. Not every program will be a good fit for you. Keep an open mind if you're checking out UTSW, because most of us have been very happy with our experiences here!

Highlights of our program:
1. Multiple different hospitals all in the same city with exposure to all different types of anesthesia in large volumes.

2. TRAUMA, BURNS, OB, ICU, PAIN, PED'S, CV, NEURO - we have it all and we have a ton of it with some of the best faculty in each sub-specialty! Most CA-3s have their numbers met and can cherry pick their rotations in the last year, for instance I did 6 months of acute/chronic pain and regional! You can even do 6 months of research (yuck.)

3. Dedicated subspecialty teams in CV (all echo trained and certified), neuro, OB, pain, ICU and of course ped's at Children's hospital. They have a very active transplant service and research is always happening with Dr. Greilich for CV, or with Dr.'s Joshi, Hill, Sharma or Tao. We also do hearts at Baylor with Dr. Ramsey (of the Ramsey sedation scale) so you can get experience with private practice settings as well.

4. Dedicated regional month at Parkland, using ultrasound and standard nerve stimulator techniques. You also get regional exposure during general anesthesia months at the VA.

5. Community exposure and networking - you'll easily get good offers here in Dallas when you're done, and elsewhere if you want. We have former residents and fellows all over the country and our reputation of turning out competent and confident anesthesiology consultants is well known.

6. The best thing about our program is that Whitten and the other faculty listen to the residents and are continually making changes to improve the education and experience at UTSW. For example, they recently changed the didactics and training for the incoming CA-1's and I've heard good reports about it.

I swear they didn't pay me, I just wanted to add some positive comments to consider. I was really happy with my training, I felt like I had plenty of time to study during my CA-2 and CA-3 yr and still spent plenty of time with my family and friends.

Last edited:
Infamous-having a reputation of the worst kind; disgraceful

I feel pretty certain she meant "famous."

How are the hours/benefits/quality of life of the attendings at UTSW?
I wouldn't mind going there after my fellowship if the above are reasonable.

This is a little off topic, but copro, why do you say "always worry about the quiet ones" ? You seem to say that alot...

Back on this topic,
I'm not sure where people get the "utsw is a workhorse" program. The residents usually get out by 3pm... CRNA's take over...

This is a little off topic, but copro, why do you say "always worry about the quiet ones" ? You seem to say that alot...

Back on this topic,
I'm not sure where people get the "utsw is a workhorse" program. The residents usually get out by 3pm... CRNA's take over...

q4 call is unusual in anesthesia residency

Because you never know where they stand, you rarely get feedback from them, they tend to "store up" information, and later may use it against you. I'm not talking about meek and passive people (i.e. doormats). I'm talking about the ones who lull you into a false sense of security by smiling, not saying a whole lot when you speak to them, maybe seeking your input or opinion, and almost never offer any meaningful "output".

Example: the head clinical nurse of the OR where I just left... always pleasant, superficially friendly and cordial, didn't say much, smiled, you know, never tipped her hand about anything... knew her for almost three years without incident. I made an offhand remark in her presence regarding what I perceived to be a ridiculous hospital policy and stated that I wasn't going to abide by it (details unimportant now... I finished the program... I'm board-eligible... hopefully soon to be board-certified). The comment had nothing to do with her or anyone she knew, it wasn't a HIPAA violation or anything, nor was my comment directed towards her. Neither was she actually party to the conversation. She just happened to be within earshot.

Well, wouldn't you know that I was, about a week later, defending that statement in the Program Director's office. It was an interesting lesson in who I could trust, and what I probably should and shouldn't say publicly.

Be careful. Watch out for the quiet ones. Just because they seem quiet and innocent and friendly doesn't mean that they aren't potentially dangerous.

-copro

Last edited:
+1

Some people were born to be unhappy, and excel at it. If you do residency someplace where you get worked, then the transition to attending should be less shocking (at least, that's how I picked).

Here's the funny part, those residents who complain the most during their residency often go out to jobs, then whine at their new job, singing the praises of their place of residency. ("We did things SOOOOO much better at HarStanYaleDuke") Complainers are good at it, so take as wide a sampling as possible, on and off the tour, as you're checking out different programs.

To a certain degree, you get out what you put in to your residency. You can skate by and get through any anesthesia residency. It's truly difficult to get fired, even at a top program. However, if you make that time count, keeping up with your reading, and try to "bring it" every day, you will excel, you will distinguish yourself, and be a working example of why our profession is still necessary.

chris

I'll tell you what I think...

You likely caught a snapshot from someone at a point-in-time who was pissed off about something. That person will, if they have a shred of maturity, likely regret later on that they said that to you and wish they could probably take it back. Also, that person, although clearly a bad choice by the interview committee (who probably isn't aware that he/she is saying such things to interviewees), is only representative of one person's opinion at the program.

If someone on an interview says, "Don't come here," what's a guy to think? Well, I'll tell you that you shouldn't think anything right away. You just met that person. You have no idea why they are saying that. You should start asking questions before you start thinking.

For example, when questioned about why he feels that way, he may answer you, "Yeah, don't come here. This place has q10 call from home, we only get $2000/yr for books, and we only get to go to one meeting per year. This place sucks."

You see what I mean? "Don't come here" is not a dialogue. That is a person's throw-away statement from which you have no idea the genesis. Maybe he's got a grudge? Maybe he's on some vendetta? Maybe he's just had it... a point we all get to at some point in residency.

I can't stress this enough: use the interview time to find out what you need to make your decision, not absorb what someone else's opinion is in a non-questioning, thought-insertion manner. If someone says, "Don't come here?" your knee-jerk response, even without thinking it, should be to say, "Can you please explain why?"

-copro

ha ha, definately didn't mean infamous - just an innocent typo :)

drwhittenchair.jpg

Dr. Whitten is awesome, but every time I see him I think of this guy:
39890.jpg

Could any current residents shine light on the UTSW Anesthesia program? Are people happy? How has it changed in the last 8 years since this thread was created?

Could any current residents shine light on the UTSW Anesthesia program? Are people happy? How has it changed in the last 8 years since this thread was created?

Throwaway for anonymity

I like it at UTSW (although I typically see things "glass half full"). When I interviewed here, I immediately felt comfortable in the city; the residents seemed normal. On interview day, Dr. Whitten was someone I trusted to give me the chance to get a great anesthesiology education.

There hasn't been a day that I've regretted being here. Some days stink, but at the end of each month I look back and think "Wow I got a lot better at being a doctor this month."

Some of the old comments about the program on SDN make me laugh a little bit. It must have been a different time then.

The hospitals we are at (especially Parkland) are juggernauts. I think every large hospital in the US is probably like that; some policies seem dumb or don't make sense. We experience that, but I don't think it's more than anyone anywhere else does.

Every year there are things the program does that help us. Ditching useless rotations, a new resident lounge, decreasing call burdens.

I do also like that we have a lot of really good surgical programs here - they do all kinds of stuff.

In retrospect, I don't know that there was a program that would have been a better fit for me than this one.