30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone use the EK audio osmosis? Was it helpful or would I be better off sticking with my TPR resources. IM scheduled for June MCAT and TPR has sooo much information, its difficult to wean out what is necessary for the exam and what I can skip. I mean, the information is interesting but I do not want to use this time precious reading through it all. Help!!!

1) MCAT Scores:

4/2005: (paper-based) PS: 11 VR:11 BS: 12 (34P)
4/10/2010: (CBT) PS: 13 VR: 10 BS: 14 (37Q)

Practice Scores: Kaplan: PS: 14 VR: 11 BS: 15
(Highs: PS: 15 VR: 14: BS: 15)
AAMC: PS: 14 VR: 12: BS: 15
(Highs: PS: 15 VR: 13: BS: 15)

2) General Philosophy:

• The MCAT is a simply a mental marathon: long, arduous, generally predictable but will kick you in the gut if you don't give it the respect it deserves. Know the content and concepts thoroughly
  • Like a marathon, you have to be mindful of the hours you put in: quality counts, make sure you give yourself recovery time between practice tests and learn everything you can from your mistakes. Also, more hours doesn't necessarily mean better preparation.
  • Pacing is crucial: Obviously don't work too slow, but also don't work too fast. Everybody has the same finishing time, so don't work faster than you have to.
  • Use every shred of information at your disposal: There's an enormous amount of information in the passages and the questions
  • Geniuses do well on the MCAT: they generally score 30-33 with their skill. Focused, methodical test-takers are the ones cracking 35... not necessarily the smartest or most knowledgeable.
  • Anyone who takes it and tells you it was easy most likely did not get a perfect score or necessarily a high score. The best test-takers only work as quickly as they have to, giving each question it's due respect to avoid any subtle challenges.
3) Methods

• Started studying about 5 months before my testdate. A few hours each night or every other night (2-3)
  • I do bench research so I loaded EK audio osmosis onto my ipod and would listen to that. It's good for learning basic details and reinforcing concepts but it's no substitute for reading review books and hacking through problems
  • When reviewing concepts, constantly found ways to relate content to other broader concepts since this is essentially what MCAT passage questions will ask you to do... especially in PS
  • When working with numbers, made sure that I was absolutely solid with basic math and mental calculations. In my experience, the biggest obstacle to MCAT calculations isn't the difficulty of the math, it's having the confidence/balls to actually follow through and pull the trigger on your simple assessments
  • When learning formulae and doing calculations I was very anal about keeping track of units. Understanding units can often allow you to eliminate answer choices based on wrong answer choices, and most importantly lets you derive your own equations that you would otherwise have to memorize or derive new ones to use (A favorite trick of the MCAT!)
  • On VR, I made sure to work very strategically. Shooting from the hip works well some of the time; strategy work all of the time. The hardest part is pacing and remembering to read for structure and not detail: look for opinions, conclusions, arguments, tone, etc. Also, I made a point of always defining why each answer choice is wrong before picking the right answer. This worked very well in my prep but I had a very distracting
  • I figured the reason I hadn't cracked 35 before was because I finished each section with a lot of spare time and made sloppy mistakes. When you start getting above 11-12 points on a section, the curve becomes much more harsh, so any sloppy mistake can be incredibly costly. Eliminating these sloppy mistakes is much more efficient for increasing points than trying to memorize some elusive or seldom tested concept on the MCAT. If you look at the AAMC raw score conversions you'll see that the difference between scaled scores at the high end can be as little as one question.
  • I made a point of being incredibly careful on each exam, staying incredibly focused. This means working through every problem strategically, avoiding any gut answers or shooting from the hip. I would make myself silently explain to myself or write out why each answer was correct and confirm my assessment by consistently referring to the passage. This meant that I would be obsessive about pacing so that I would finish the last passage with no more than 5 minutes to spare.
  • Worked the Kaplan Practice tests first, then finished my studying with the AAMC exams. Kaplan practice tests were harder conceptually and more content-oriented, but as a result had more forgiving curves. This means you could do well in spite of any sloppy mistakes. AAMC exams have a difficulty level more in line with the actual exam: more information to be drawn from the passage, less difficult, and as a result a much harsher curve that rewards careful and precise test-takers.
  • I never took 2 tests within 2 days of one another. I also never reviewed a test the same day I took it. There's little training benefit to doing so because you're mentally tapped out and at the point of diminishing returns. I would just go do something fun and then review it the next day and figure out why I got questions wrong and reviewed content. Then I would practice questions dealing with said content the next day, and maybe do a test the next day or later in the week. This was all made possible by advanced planning so that I wouldn't ever have to cram.
4) Final Thoughts

• Be methodical, and focused: if you won't to score in the 30's it's just as important to reliably get easy question right as it is to get hard questions right. Don't make sloppy mistakes. If it seems easy, don't let it lull you into a false sense of confidence.
  • The only reason this exam has been good to me is because I gave it the respect it deserves. By most people's standards I've mastered this exam, but you will never catch me saying that it's easy or not challenging. Anytime I let myself think it was easy, it found a way to punish me for it.
  • To those who are obsessed with breaking 40: I was too. I was borderline disappointed with my score when i didn't, but realized that it was quite likely a matter of getting as few as 3 questions wrong. There's little predictive value of anything above a 36 so most adcom's don't put much into it. It's the difference between running the ball in for a touchdown and running it in and spiking the ball. Not worth turning it into your white whale.
  • Lastly, try to make it fun. I'm into endurance sports and challenging myself so I looked at it as an event that could be conquered rather than some test designed to trick me and make me feel bad about yourself. I actually found myself enjoying it and looking forward to studying for it over my research and grad class.
Feel free to ask any questions

PS=14, VR=10, WS=R, BS=13, Composite=37R

PS: Relied mainly on knowledge learned in class. Refreshed my memory on a few topics (nuclear physics, quantum mechanics..etc).
VR: Practice, practice, and practice. Focused on accuracy instead of timing when I first started. My reading speed is probably 1.5 times slower than native speakers, so I was forced to find a more efficient way of doing the first read. Spending more time on identifying and understanding the arguments in each passage really helped. Eventually you still want to bring the speed up. I did not do too good on my VR section because the passages were significantly longer and I totally ran out of time.
BS: Went through all the materials. I did a brief overview of all the topics before I started taking FLs. After each FL, I made a list of topics that I needed to master in more detail and then studied. Some review books go in great depths when presenting the material, which is a good thing. However, by taking multiple FLs, one should be able to sense the level of depth that the exam makers are expecting. I adjusted the time I spent on each topic according to the feedbacks from the FLs. I definitely highly recommend reviewing as much content as possible. My experience might be helpful to people who are running out of time.
WS: Seems like the writing score doesn't matter a whole lot compared to the numerical scores. If you are an ESL (English as Second Language) student like me (I came to the U.S and started going to college in 2007), my experience might be helpful. First focus on improving writing speed -- the speed at which you come up with and idea in your native language and then translate it into English. I am a slow reader but a relatively fast writer (each one of my writing prompts ranged from 600 to 700 words). I practiced writing during the first year of college. I would find some perfect-score papers, study their structure, and then write a mock essay with the same structure but my own contents. Later on when I had mastered a lot of structures, I started to develop my own style of writing. For the WS in MCAT, I practiced 5 sets of prompts and had 2 of them graded. I also studied a few sample essays out there to get a feeling of what it takes to be considered a good essay.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Kaplan all the way. I took a course with Kaplan. Their online material was really helpful. In addition, I relied on my college textbooks for additional information (Biochem and Neuroscience helped so much!).

I took 5 Kaplan FLs (#1 thru #5) and 2 AAMC FLs (#3, #4).
The scores:
Kaplan (30 on diag): 33, 34, 38, 40, 37
AAMC: 31, 37 (I have no idea why i got 31 :-\)
I definitely recommend taking as many Kaplan tests as possible. They have harder science sections, and they are more comprehensive. They helped me tremendously in determining what topics I should review for.

Mathematics/Applied Science, with a concentration in Life/Medical Sciences.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
The biggest mistake I made was trying to study for the MCAT while taking 18 units of upper-division classes topped with doing research. Make sure you devote a full period of time studying for the test! Even 1 month of hardcore studying would be great. Also, don't forget to rest! I had persistant headache that lasted from 2 days before the test day to 1 day after it! To ESL students: this test is not as horrible as you may think! It is beatable! Message me if you have any questions. I am willing to share my experience with everyone.

A little more than 2 months taking the prep course, then studied for a month. During this month I studied about 5 hours every week (not including the time of taking FLs). Again, don't couple the mcat with too many classes! >.< I remember having neuroscience midterm right before test day...

Members don't see this ad :)
2008: 9PS, 7VR, 9BS, 25Q (3 months spent studying)
2010: 10PS, 10VR, 12BS, 32P (2.5 months spent studying)

Spend the majority of your time doing practice problems and taking practice tests rather than consuming all your study time with studying content. That is not to say content review is not important, but it should not take up most of your time. Practicing problems and reviewing those problems should take up most of your time. This is a mistake I made the first time around, I focused way too much on studying content than doing practice problems. Also by focusing all your time on practicing you slowly learn the "art" of the test. For example, a lot of times I would rule out answers in the physical section just by looking at units. After more time I started to get a sense of what looked like a trick answer and what looked like the right answer (this is an especially useful skill to have for verbal section!) I did not have this skill the first time taking this test because I didn't have time to develop it because I didn't spend all my focus on practicing.

The first time around I used the Kaplan books for all subjects. This time I did things differently and will break it up based on subject.

PHYSICAL SECTION:
Use The Berkeley Review Physics and The Berkeley Review General Chemistry books for this subject. They are broken up into 10 sections each, so try and do a section every other day. Don't worry about getting through all the sections, only take the time to go through the sections that you are not that familiar with and need more review on. You should mainly be using these books for the practice problems they have, they have the BEST practice problems that resemble the real AAMC test the best.
Next, use youtube video: The Khan Academy.
This guy is amazing especially with Physics and General Chemistry. Watch his videos!!! REALLY WATCH THEM! This is how I did most of my content review. I mainly used The Berkley Review Books for the practice problems and brushing up on sections that I wasn't that familiar with.
Also utilize Audio Osmosis, this is good for reviewing content when you are driving around or walking around campus.

VERBAL SECTION:
Use Examkrackers 101 Verbal Passages. There are 14 individual verbal tests and you should plan to take ALL of them. Also switch it up every once in a while by using the Princeton Review Verbal Passages because they tend to have more philosophy and harder to read passages than examkrackers.
Use Audio Osmosis for Verbal, the advice they give is short but so so so valuable.
Finally, make it a PRIORITY to take a full length verbal test from the Examkrackers 101 Verbal Passages every other day. If your schedule is too busy and you can't afford to sit there for a whole hour to take a full length verbal than make sure to do at least 2 individual verbal passages everyday.
You can't neglect verbal its the most important section and the only way you will master it is by practicing practicing practicing.

WRITING SECTION:
I would recommend not wasting anytime on this section till the week of your test. It is really easy to do well on this section just by following the instructions. You should only have 3 paragraphs. First paragraph should explain the statement in your own words and give an example of when this is true. The second paragraph should give a SPECIFIC example of when this statement is not true. And finally the third paragraph should state what determines when the statement is true and when the statement is false. Really simple.

BIOLOGICAL SECTION:
Use Examkrackers Biology book for content. This book is broken up into 9 sections, sections are pretty short and animated so it makes it easier to get through all the sections. Make sure to do all practice problems in this book. This isn't enough practice problems, so I would recommend that you also get the Examkrackers 1001 passages in Biology. In this book all the practice problems are in the same format as passages you would expect to see in the actual test, so it is def the best book to use to practice biology passages.
Next, use youtube video: The Khan Academy
Again, his Biology videos are amazing.
Also utilize Audio Osmosis for this section.
As for Organic Chemistry, it is important to have some basic knowledge, but besides that do not get too consumed with this section. You will barely be tested on it, and when you are it is much easier to rationalize your way through organic chemistry questions. I didn't use any material for this section, I just had my fingers crossed that I would only get one Organic chemistry passage that I could rationalize through, and thankfully I did.

Besides that I would recommend you get The Official Guide to the MCAT that was released by AAMC this year. This has the latest practice problems released by the test makers and it has incredibly useful tips!! THIS BOOK IS A MUST!!!

This was my schedule and I would recommend you do something similar:
Everyday, really EVERYDAY, wake up at the same time as you would if you were going to take your real MCAT. So for example, I was scheduled for an 8 am test, so for 2 months I made sure that I was up everyday at 6:30 am, even on weekends. If your not used to having breakfast, eat something, you need to get used to breakfast since that is going to be your fuel for the real test.
Once you are up, make sure you take a verbal exam starting at 8 am. This is absolutely essential because it gets your brain in that "mode" of having to think that early and especially having to think about MCAT. I would take a full length verbal at 8 am. Then at 9 am I would spend 30 minutes doing practice problems in either physical section or biological section. You can alternate this, but make sure that every morning you start off your day with a full length verbal and 30 minutes of science problems.
Whenever you take any practice tests or do any practice problems always do them under testing conditions!!! This means you need to time yourself, no distractions, and absolutely no pausing or referring to your books. If you don't know something try and make the best logical guess based on what YOU DO KNOW.
Next, review the problems you did. I would recommend you make TIP BOOKS. I made a tip book for each section, physical, verbal and biological. Whenever I would review problems I would always ask why did I get this question wrong?? Lack of content? Didn't read question carefully? Didn't know what they were asking for? Whatever it may be, once you have determined why you got the question wrong write it in your TIP BOOK!!!
For example, you get a question wrong in biology because the question was asking which type of cells don't have a nucleus and you got this question wrong because you had no idea. Once you review the question and you realized that the answer was red blood cells, write it in your biological section TIP BOOK. Write "Remember, red blood cells have no nucleus!"
Another example, you get a question wrong in verbal because you went back to the passage and fell for a trap answer. Once you review the question and you realize that is the reason you got it wrong, write it in your verbal section TIP BOOK. Write "Try not to go back to the passage to look for answers because there are a lot of trick questions"
Here are other examples of things I would write in my tip books "Activate your sympathetic nervous system when taking this test!" "You got this, you got 30 questions right on verbal" "Don't forget its conjugation that uses the plasmids" "Watch out for EXCEPT than, you shouldn't be getting questions wrong like this" Even add good mnemonics in your TIP BOOKS as you come across them.
Over time your TIP BOOK will accumulate many tips. These TIP BOOKS are super important, you should review them at least once a week, especially before you take a full length practice test. They really drill into your head things that at one point you had fallen for.
The rest of your day spend on content you don't feel that strong with, watch youtube video's, listen to audio osmosis, do practice problems, whatever you can do that will keep you in MCAT mode. Its not that important how you spend the rest of your day, but make sure that the morning routine is locked down!!!!

Every week, the same day that your test is scheduled, take a FULL LENGTH PRACTICE AAMC.
My test was scheduled for a Saturday, so every Saturday I would wake up at 6:00 am, review my TIP BOOKS, and then begin my full length practice AAMC by 8 am. Take the test in timed conditions, do not pause, no distractions and do not refer to your books or notes. The most important part of taking these full length practices is the review part. Once you have completed your test, review ALL the questions. Not just the ones you got wrong. Some of the ones you got right maybe you got right because you guessed, that is why you need to make sure you review ALL questions. Reviewing your entire full length practice AAMC should take you at least 3 hours!! If it is taking you less it is because you are not reviewing every single question and every single answer. As you review, ask yourself, why is this answer right? why is this answer wrong? And always make sure to be updating your TIP BOOK whenever you are reviewing. Do not worry about taking the writing section when doing the full length practice AAMC, I never did those and to be honest I did one practice writing section the day before my real test date.

During the week of your scheduled test, do not start reviewing new content, just stick to reviewing your TIP BOOKS. Stick to your normal morning routine that you should have locked down by now. And do at least 2 AAMC full length practice tests this week too.

If you have any questions PM me. GOOD LUCK :) YOU CAN DO IT!

Reactions: 1 user
PS=9 VR=11 WS=Q BS=10 Composite=30Q

PS: My hardest section by far! I used a combination of materials... I basically tried every book under the sun such as Examkrackers, TPR, Kaplan, and TBR. I found that I got the best results from using TPR & TBR. I went from a 6 to a 9 using these two test prep materials. I would read the chapter and do as many problems as I could to cement the concept. If you're having trouble like I was... please get these two!!!
VR: This was my natural best section... I used the TPR verbal workout and Examkrackers 101 passages. But honestly, I did not put as much effort into this section
BS: TPR has a good overview. However, I found that when taking the actual test... I relied very little on my outside knowledge but more on my test taking strategies. I think the best practice for this section would be to read tons of journal articles and work out mapping strategies. There were a lot of pathways. I used TBR for Orgo. I did not do all of the passages as I felt it was tedious.
WR: Thought up some examples the night before... not much preparation for this one.

PS: TPR/TBR
VR: TPR/Examkrackers
BS: TPR

I did all of the AAMC ones as well as some TBR tests.

Biology

Do NOT panic during the test!!! If a passage seems difficult, skip it and come back to the end. Do not get flustered, have a clear mind.

I took this test 3 times... so my combined study time was probably 4 months.

^ Thanks for posting! Do you mind sharing how your TBR scores compared? Also how much did you improve from your previous test dates? I will be a retaker, so I could use some encouragement!

PS=10 VR=10 WS=Q BS=13 Composite=33Q

PS/BS: took the TPR class so I had some good notes/material...read the relevant sections after we went over it in class and did all of the workbook questions and passages. then reinforced with EK questions
VR: TPR workbook and EK 101 passages...i'm not the fastest reader so i had to do a lot of practice
WS: read TPR verbal materials the week before the test

TPR!! (I had Berkeley Review books but it took a long time to go through each section and was way too detailed, as the actual MCAT doesn't require that much knowledge. It was just discouraging to go through those practice sets and see what you missed.)

TPR practice tests...definitely harder than the AAMC tests. i did every test avail to us through TPR

Finance

It's hard to improve your verbal score, so focus on something that you believe you can improve by studying. Pace yourself....don't burn out too early like I did. BREATHE. I was so nervous that I could hear my pulse. Get a study buddy and stay motivated.

3 months (6 hours a day)

) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=12 VR=9 WS=R BS=13 Composite=34R

PS: Practice, practice.
V: I did them in sets of 3. I would do them timed (~6.5 minutes each), then do them again w/o any timing to see what mistakes I made. I think it really helped me (diag. 3)
BS: made outlines of EK bio chapters. practice.
W: I think taking an actual english class in college was pretty useful.

TBR G-chem, Physics and O-chem. EK Bio and TPR Bio(i think the latter is better). EK Verbal 101.

TPR and AAMC (did all of them). In terms of difficulty, it was TPR > REAL MCAT > AAMC PRACTICE

Bio

PS: memorize every formula and PRACTICE. I think ANYONE can get at least a 10 on this section if they use TBR g-chem and physics.
V: Try my method above. I thought it seriously helped me. I didn't do it everytime because of the time it took, but it helped me pinpoint why I was getting things wrong. Although I didn't get a good score on this section, I'm still pretty happy (avg ~8).
BS: my mcat was super detailed; beware. Also, it seems as though the newer MCATs are more passage-based. Be sure to know how to read graphs and interpret information! Others swear by TBR Bio; I would have done it too, but didnt' have time.
W: Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis. 3 paragraphs. Don't freak out if you didn't hit the save button.
I thought that i was going to get ~28 on the real deal. Feelings after the test are not correlated to actual score.

7 months (2 hrs/day) with break days/weekends here and there. PS-if you can take it during the summer...DO IT!!!

1) Score
PS=12 VR=10 WS=R BS=14 Composite=36R

PS&BS: Used the Kaplan review books and a lil' Wikipedia. I think I went through the review books at least 5 times before the test.
VR: Practiced with Kaplan Verbal and EK 101 passages.

Also, I took the Kaplan course and did almost everything (topicals, subject tests, section tests) on the course syllabus. It helped to review the material.

Took the Kaplan course which I definitely recommend. I think if I had to do it over I might just do the online course because it was so comprehensive.

I did Kaplan FL1-8 and AAMC 3-9 (ran out of time and never did 10).

Kaplan
Diag- 24 (7V, 8 PS, 9 BS)

1- 33 (8V, 12PS, 13BS)
2- 37 (10V, 13 PS, 14 BS)
3- 36 (9 V, 12 PS, 15 BS)
4- 33 (9 V, 10 PS, 14 BS)
5- 35 (10 V, 12 PS, 13 BS)
6- 34 (10V, 10PS, 14BS)
7-36 (12 V, 10 PS, 14 BS)

AAMC

3-33 (10 V, 12 PS, 11 BS)
4-36 (10V, 13 PS, 13 BS)
5- 34 (9 V, 13 PS, 12 BS)
6- 35 (9 V, 13 PS, 13 BS)
7- 36 (10V, 13 PS, 13 BS)
8- 32 (8 V, 13 PS, 11 BS)
9- 37 (10 V, 14 PS, 13 BS)

Biochem, took it right after classes were done so physics was fresh. I'm also an orgo tutor, inorgranic chem tutor, and a biochem TA, so everything stayed somewhat fresh.

Definitely be confident in yourself on test day, do not let the anxiety take over. Also, the day before the MCAT DO NOT do any sort of test review. The day before my mcat I did absolutely nothing related to the MCAT and it helped to relax me before the test. Also, this is said a lot on this forum but it needs to be repeated: Practice under test-like conditions!. Every FL I took, I woke up at the same time that I woke up for the actual MCAT, I ate the same breakfast that I ate on the day of the MCAT, I took the entire test, etc. In developing this type of routine, taking the MCAT becomes a relatively familiar task which helps to reduce a ton of stress.

3 months (Kaplan course ran from late Jan. to early April and the test was on May 1st)

For those with 30+ scores congrats!

Approx how many hours per day would you guys say you studied. I mean aside from any course (where you had to sit in) you took?

My test date in in two months and I've been studying about 5-6 hours a day. I feel like I'm absorbing a lot, with the Kaplan books. What would you say a good technique is on a day to day basis?

Thanks.

PS=14 VR=11 WS=Q BS=12 Composite=37Q

PS: Princeton Review was great. I used it as an outline and review. I supplemented with undergraduate physics and chemistry text book. Things that I knew I had trouble with, I would go right to the text books and review. One month in I started using exam krackers exclusively.
BS: Kaplan premiere: this book was okay. I used it as an outline. Practice problems and in-depth review was taken from undergraduate text books. One month in I started using exam krackers exclusively.
VR: Studied up the strategies from Kaplan and just used AAMC practice test as material.

3) What materials you used for each section?
See above.

AAMC 3-9. Would have done 10, but ran out of time. I was taking practice AAMC tests every other day during my last two weeks

Human Biology

People will tell you to plan out 3-4 months to study, which is wise advice. Equally if not more important is how dedicated you are in those 3-4 months. I'd take 2 months of dedicated studying over 4 months of loligagaling. You want to exhaust all your materials. Plan your AAMC practice tests near the end and start taking them 2-3 days apart. Analysis is important.

2 months of not loligagling.

PS = 13, VR = 15, WS = S, BS = 13, composite = 41S :)wow:)

2) Study method used for each section

With the exception of VR, I used the same general method/schedule for all of the sections. I would read/annotate one lecture from the EK manual, complete the quizzes, and do the 30-minute exam. The next day I would go over the same lecture but only skim/review the material I highlighted and then do about 20 questions from the 1001 Questions book. The next day I would begin a new lecture.

I only worked on one subject at a time (i.e., I would work through the biology manual and then move on to the next subject). After I worked through all the lectures as described above, I would spend a week reviewing all of the material from the manual. I would usually go through 1-3 lectures per day, depending on the topic and the length. Each lecture from the ochem manual, for example, is fairly long, so I would only go over one lecture each day. The biology lectures were generally shorter, so I would go over three lectures per day. I would spend two days going over the material, exactly as described above.

I had about two extra weeks at the end of my study time, so I used that to go over whichever sections/subjects I felt like I needed the most help with.

I took a full-length practice exam every other week up until the last two months. After that point I was doing one full-length each week. Full-lengths are by far the most important thing to do. Even if I was behind on my schedule, I would always make time to take a practice exam.

I did essentially no studying for VR. I did two of the exams from the 101 Passages book, but then decided that it was a waste of time and my VR score wouldn't improve. I was averaging 11-12 on my practice exams. ...yeah, I don't know where the 15 came from either.

3) What materials did you use for each section?

All EK: EK manuals and 1001 Questions (or 101 Passages for VR)

EK paper exam that came with the EK pack; Princeton online exam; AAMC 3-5, 7-10

Biochemistry

6) Any other tips you have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Be confident. The amount of material tested on the MCAT really isn't that much. It's overwhelming at first, but it's definitely doable. Most people that see my score think I'm superman or something - it's simply not true. I put my time in, worked hard, and the results paid off. Don't doubt yourself on your ability to do well. If you put in a solid effort and are true to yourself about how hard you work, you'll get what you're looking for.

I began studying the last week of December for a May 1 test date. Admittedly, there were probably 3-4 weeks during that time where I did little to no studying due to lack of time since I was taking a full load of classes and doing a bunch of ECs. For the most part, though, I studied every day (see above schedule) for 1-2 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)

With the exception of VR, I used the same general method/schedule for all of the sections. I would read/annotate one lecture from the EK manual, complete the quizzes, and do the 30-minute exam. The next day I would go over the same lecture but only skim/review the material I highlighted and then do about 20 questions from the 1001 Questions book. The next day I would begin a new lecture.

I only worked on one subject at a time (i.e., I would work through the biology manual and then move on to the next subject). After I worked through all the lectures as described above, I would spend a week reviewing all of the material from the manual. I would usually go through 1-3 lectures per day, depending on the topic and the length. Each lecture from the ochem manual, for example, is fairly long, so I would only go over one lecture each day. The biology lectures were generally shorter, so I would go over three lectures per day. I would spend two days going over the material, exactly as described above.

I had about two extra weeks at the end of my study time, so I used that to go over whichever sections/subjects I felt like I needed the most help with.

I took a full-length practice exam every other week up until the last two months. After that point I was doing one full-length each week. Full-lengths are by far the most important thing to do. Even if I was behind on my schedule, I would always make time to take a practice exam.

I did essentially no studying for VR. I did two of the exams from the 101 Passages book, but then decided that it was a waste of time and my VR score wouldn't improve. I was averaging 11-12 on my practice exams. ...yeah, I don't know where the 15 came from either.

Biochemistry

6) Any other tips you have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Be confident. The amount of material tested on the MCAT really isn't that much. It's overwhelming at first, but it's definitely doable. Most people that see my score think I'm superman or something - it's simply not true. I put my time in, worked hard, and the results paid off. Don't doubt yourself on your ability to do well. If you put in a solid effort and are true to yourself about how hard you work, you'll get what you're looking for.

I began studying the last week of December for a May 1 test date. Admittedly, there were probably 3-4 weeks during that time where I did little to no studying due to lack of time since I was taking a full load of classes and doing a bunch of ECs. For the most part, though, I studied every day (see above schedule) for 1-2 hours.

You pretty much killed it. Good work.

15 VR, part luck part genius. Amazing.

5/1/10 MCAT
1) Your individual scores and composite score:
PS=12 VR=14 WS=R BS=10* Composite=36R

(* left 4 or 5 questions blank, due to dumb test taking mistake. See below)

2) The study method used for each section:
PS & BS Orgo: TBR. My study list was based on SN2ed's 30+ guide, so almost all my review was from the Berkeley Review books. I was coming to the end of my bio, chem, and physics coursework, so that was sort of "review" as well. Because I had a full courseload and 30+ hours/week of work and volunteering, I didn't manage to stick to his prescribed schedule, but I did manage to get through all of TBR Orgo books 1&2, which were my main area of concern since I haven't taken Orgo yet.
VR: Took 4 AAMCs. I'm not sure how much studying really helps for this, beyond a certain level of familiarity with type of questions you're likely to encounter. Practice tests were a good refresher on the whole "reading comp. multiple choice BS," but I don't know that tons of practice (especially from non-AAMC sources) would do a lot of good. (If you have a time machine and can go back four or five years and start reading large amounts of relatively dense material, then by all means do this. Weber and Durkheim would probably be a good start.)

3) What materials you used for each section?
See above. TBR, Pearson textbooks for Bio/Chem/Physics, EK 1001 review for Bio and Chem.

AAMC 3, 7-10. These were incredibly, incredibly helpful. I wasn't sure if I was crazy to take the MCATs before completing any of the pre-reqs (or even starting Orgo) but once I'd gotten a 36-38 on a couple of AAMCs I had some idea of what was possible and an even better idea of what I needed to work on.

AAMC 3:
PS:13 VR:15 BS:10

AAMC 7:
PS:13 VR:12 BS:10

AAMC 8:
PS:12 VR:13 BS:12

AAMC 9:
PS:13 VR:13 BS:12

AAMC 10:
PS:14 VR:14 BS:12
3 and 7 were taken over the winter. 8, 9, and 10 were taken one per week in April.

Art

It very much depends on how you learn. Give yourself as much time as you can, for sure, but I don't think it necessarily helps to kill yourself with review passages--the practice tests (AAMC and passages in TBR) are great diagnostics, but if you're depending on them to *learn* the material, you're doing it wrong. I'm mostly happy with my score, but it would probably have been a couple points higher if I hadn't made the incredibly stupid mistake of skipping a bio passage in the BS section, which cost me at least 2 (if not more) points. Learn from my idiocy, people: if you simply must flip to the end of the section to see how many Bio and how many Orgo passages there are, make sure you flip all the way back to where you left off. I found out I had 6 or 7 (I can't remember now--it was just a horrible blur of red dots) unanswered questions with under a minute to go, and ended up leaving 4 or 5 blank after half-guessing at the first two. This is not The Way Things Are Supposed To Be Done. It's also not the way I took the practice tests. If you flip ahead on all the practice tests to plan your time, fine. But stick to your study habits, people!
I will say that the actual test took longer than the AAMC ones. I usually had a few minutes extra at the end of a section, whereas I finished the MCAT with no time to spare. (except BS with its skipped page) If you believe the reports that the actual test is a little harder than the AAMCs (but curved to make scores equivalent) then this makes perfect sense: harder questions = more time spent. Budget your time accordingly.

I started cramming the orgo coursework into my head over winter break, and picked up TBR Chem and Orgo books in January. Probably averaged under an hour a day for Jan/Feb, and 90-120 minutes/day for March/April. (Again, this is in addition to my regular Bio/Chem/Phys coursework, which probably contributed as much as the MCAT review to my score. So overall the figure might be more like 4 hours/day.)

Summing up:
Other than not making enormous, stupid mistakes (and believe me, I beat myself up plenty about this one) my biggest piece of advice would be not to depend on review material. TBR, etc. is a great diagnostic, but no substitute for textbooks. Just learn the coursework and you should be fine--I took the test with 3/4 of my Bio/Chem/Physics complete and none of the Orgo. (People asking if they can take the MCAT without orgo? The answer is definitely "Yes, but it depends.")
It's an intimidating test, but not really that hard, in terms of the depth covered. I don't know enough Orgo to sit for the final and get an A, but I doubt that cost me more than a point on my test. Nucleophilicity, IR and NMR, SN2 and SN1, Cahn-Ingold-Prelog and nomenclature should pretty much do you for Orgo. Similarly you really don't need to know every name reaction or memorize indices of refraction or the reduction potentials of 30 common half-cells. If you understand the underlying coursework you'll be fine.

Biochemistry

Holy shizam man
Great work
How was the PR online exam? Anything comparable to AAMC or the real deal?

Holy shizam man
Great work
How was the PR online exam? Anything comparable to AAMC or the real deal?

I didn't like the EK or PR practice exams at all. I used them simply to save my AAMC exams, but the EK/PR tests were essentially useless. I scored 7 points lower on those exams than my AAMC average. They're good for content review, but I wouldn't trust them for emulating the real test.

PS=11, VR=11, WS=Q, BS=11, Composite=33Q

2) The study method used for each section:
I just read the TPR books for Physics and Bio, memorizing the Physics formula and doing some of their HW.
I used the 101 Verbal EK book for verbal, but only did 2 tests in it.

I had the EK books- but didn't use any of them.
I read all the TPR books, but didn't do half the HW.
Took most of the AAMC practice tests.

3 TPR
6 AAMC
I took 7/9 tests in the last two weeks before my MCAT.
scores ranged from a 19 diagnostic to mainly a 29-34

Psychology Major- Biology Minor

I have no idea how I got this score...
Practice Practice Practice is all I can say.
Also- know material by reading and understanding and practicing.
Again, I probably could have done a lot more, I am so thankful for this grade.

Began with TPR classes from February to April (but didn't even go to a lot of them)- completely read the TPR books in and out- took practice tests.

Again, my method probably SUCKS- but thank God for my score.

It just shows you guys not to be discouraged and to work hard- but most importantly- be happy and confident and live your life.

I didn't like the EK or PR practice exams at all. I used them simply to save my AAMC exams, but the EK/PR tests were essentially useless. I scored 7 points lower on those exams than my AAMC average. They're good for content review, but I wouldn't trust them for emulating the real test.

Ok thanks.
Some say that Kap 1-6 FL are good exams and the rest are horrible.
Did you take any (1-6) of them?

Ok thanks.
Some say that Kap 1-6 FL are good exams and the rest are horrible.
Did you take any (1-6) of them?

I don't think so... to be honest I'm not all that sure though. I used the non-AAMC tests at the very beginning of my studying, so it's been a while.

PS=14 VR=11 WS=O BS=14 Composite=39O (WOOT on my number scores! I kinda knew I choked on writing but it doesn't worry me, O is just fine!) :clap:

PS&BS: Watched videos and took notes from www.wikipremed.com and www.khanacademy.org . I learn best when I'm hearing, seeing and writing myself, so I basically took a crash course of the classes over again. That's probaby not the most efficient means of studying, but especially in the case of general biology, which I finished 6 years ago, I felt like I really needed that much review.

I also made Organic Chemistry mechanism flashcards using the ones on this Gold Standard website, and I am certain I got at least 1 or 2 questions in my BS section right as a direct result of those.

I also went through http://mcat-review.org, which takes the study guides the AAMC publishes and elaborates on all the points.

VR: The EK book, but I didn't go through as much of it as I wanted to.

See above. Khan's videos are shorter and a bit more to the point, but wikipremed is great for deeper explanations (if you need it) and relation of topics.

EK 101 book for VR.

AAMC #3, 6-10. Last few practice tests were 32-38. There were some big disparities in my scores sometimes. I have a toddler and sometimes I'd put her down for her nap, start the test, then she'd wake up pissed for no reason. :( When I was able to test uninterrupted I got 35+'s.

Heh, a BFA in theatre with a psychology minor. I took almost all of the pre-reqs as a post-bacc student.

I think mentality is such a huge part of the test. Don't walk in to the test center scared, approach with confidence or the MCAT will sense your fear, like you've just run into a lion or bear in the wilderness. The MCAT should be afraid of YOU!

About 3 months. I couldn't possibly tell you how many hours. A lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
PS=14 VR=11 WS=O BS=14 Composite=39O (WOOT on my number scores! I kinda knew I choked on writing but it doesn't worry me, O is just fine!) :clap:

PS&BS: Watched videos and took notes from www.wikipremed.com and www.khanacademy.org . I learn best when I'm hearing, seeing and writing myself, so I basically took a crash course of the classes over again. That's probaby not the most efficient means of studying, but especially in the case of general biology, which I finished 6 years ago, I felt like I really needed that much review.

I also went through http://mcat-review.org, which takes the study guides the AAMC publishes and elaborates on all the points.

See above. Khan's videos are shorter and a bit more to the point, but wikipremed is great for deeper explanations (if you need it) and relation of topics.

EK 101 book for VR.

AAMC #3, 6-10. Last few practice tests were 32-38. There were some big disparities in my scores sometimes. I have a toddler and sometimes I'd put her down for her nap, start the test, then she'd wake up pissed for no reason. :( When I was able to test uninterrupted I got 35+'s.

Heh, a BFA in theatre with a psychology minor. I took almost all of the pre-reqs as a post-bacc student.

I think mentality is such a huge part of the test. Don't walk in to the test center scared, approach with confidence or the MCAT will sense your fear, like you've just run into a lion or bear in the wilderness. The MCAT should be afraid of YOU!

Amazing. You have a toddler and studied for the MCAT, which is definitely no small feat - congratulations!!!! You put me to shame! Onward ho for my second attempt at clobbering this beast!!!

EK 101 book for VR.

haha, you're a theater major. That's great.

Great job on juggling everything and I hope you get into all your schools. You certainly have a wide set of skills, acting and science.

Great job on juggling everything and I hope you get into all your schools. You certainly have a wide set of skills, acting and science.
The acting skills probably helped a lot. It's important to make the MCAT into something very dramatic and act like it is very serious.

But seriously, you're like the most talented person I know GeekChick. I think you said you're a programmer, and now an actress, mother, wife, and soon to be doctor. It's superstars like you that make me think I need to work even harder.

Amazed by GeekChick,

-LIS

The acting skills probably helped a lot. It's important to make the MCAT into something very dramatic and act like it is very serious.

But seriously, you're like the most talented person I know GeekChick. I think you said you're a programmer, and now a actress, mother, and soon the be doctor. It's superstars like you that make me think I need to work even harder.

Amazed by GeekChick,

-LIS

Aww, thanks LIS! I am amazed at your MCAT score history. Cra-zay! :clap:

But I'm not a programmer. I am a secretary in a hospital office. My husband is a Flash artist and does some programming, too.

Ha! Yeah, though in retrospect, what a mistake. I have talent, but it was just a hobby for me. I understand that now. Part of my PS is about that. And hey, I just need one! I just hope it's Jeff or Penn. :D

Aww, thanks LIS! I am amazed at your MCAT score history. Cra-zay! :clap:

But I'm not a programmer. I am a secretary in a hospital office. My husband is a Flash artist and does some programming, too.

Ha! Yeah, though in retrospect, what a mistake. I have talent, but it was just a hobby for me. I understand that now. Part of my PS is about that. And hey, I just need one! I just hope it's Jeff or Penn. :D
I meant to say you have some background in programming. Either way, you're a person who was away from school for 6 years, did her pre-reqs, and got a killer MCAT score while being a mother and wife.

And, what do you mean MCAT score history, I think I only took once?? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by score history.

-LIS

I meant to say you have some background in programming. Either way, you're a person who was away from school for 6 years, did her pre-reqs, and got a killer MCAT score while being a mother and wife.

And, what do you mean MCAT score history, I think I only took once?? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by score history.

-LIS
Nope, no programming history.

I think we each got a little confused about each other. I have no history of programming, and I could have sworn you took the MCAT once before, then retook and got the 41. Either way, your score is insane in the membrane! My mistake!

I think I hit a button and accidentally closed the thread for a second. Fixed!

Hmm, I guess I was just wrong about that part. Still amazing what you did. I did take it once but I voided. So I only scored it once. The first time I just realized I hadn't done enough and went back with the intent to destroy it and proceeded to do so in the next few months.

I think you'll have no problem at Jefferson, but UPenn's a little more tricky. The Ivies are weird and unpredictable. They seem to care mostly about if you're actually going to come and if you fit what they're looking for. A superstar like you shouldn't have too much trouble with Penn though.

Best of luck to you,

-LIS

PS=13 VR=12 WS=T BS=13 Composite=37T

PS&BS: Went through TBR chapter by chapter using a modified, more condensed version of SN2's guide. Used EK for Bio. Upon finishing most of the content, I did the AAMCs and like 2 TBR CBTs.

VR: AAMC practice exams...that's about it. But I was a humanities major in college, so I was doing okay on those without prep.

TBR for Orgo, Chem and Physics. Honestly, I think it was overkill for orgo and I ended up ignoring or just skimming some of it. (Way too much stuff on carbohydrates, for example)
EK/1001 for Bio.

AAMCs and two TBR CBTs. Scored lower on TBR CBTs and my score ended up being the average of my TBR avg and my AAMC avg.

History

1.) Confidence. If you're scoring okay on the later AAMCs, you probably did/will do fine on your test. I thought I totally, totally bombed PS on my real test and it really shook me up for bio and verbal. Ultimately, I ended up scoring my average on PS and slightly lower on bio and verbal (which were not difficult), probably because of being totally fazed. Steel yourself against nerves and be ready to end a section and move on with a calm head and the knowledge that you are fine, even if it was very difficult.

2.) If you are using SN2's guide (which is totally awesome and a huge credit to SN2) and you are a reasonably academically quick type (good test taker, good grasp of the basics from the recent past), I think you can condense it a lot. Some ideas:
A.) I was always able to do at least 1 if not 2 chapters a day while in orgo and physics, so if you're only doing the MCAT full time, aim for 2 chapters a day. One in the AM and one in the PM!
B.) You don't really need that many break days...following that schedule, you shouldn't be studying enough on any given day to burn out.
C.) Instead of taking 2-3 days between practice tests, either do more studying or do more practice tests (add in TBR or TPRs) and take 1 day in between.

Took the May 1st MCAT. I reviewed a little bit of bio (which I hadn't taken for like 3 years) over winter break (first couple of EK chapters) then started studying in Earnest in Feb. I was taking orgo and physics while studying, so it varied a bit.
From Feb-Mid-March: 3-5 hours a day
Mid-March to May 1st: 1-2 practice tests a week, plus various reviewing. Probably averaging 2 hours/day. I generally did practice tests quickly since I never touched the WS before the real test and I usually ended my sections with about 1/4th the time left (maybe a bad habit to develop...)

PS=13 VR=9 WS=M BS=15 Composite=37M

I first started studying using Barron's MCAT prep book. However, I found this book to be totally unreadable, especially the bio section. The practice test answers guide was riddled with typos. I think this book is complete garbage.

I did my studying using ExamKrackers + a few of my textbooks.

PS: I read through the EK book and did their in-text questions as I went along. Make sure you do practice problems while you are reviewing content. It's easy to read something and think "That makes sense..". This can give a false sense of confidence that will come back to bite you. I went back and did all the 30 minute exams after I had finished the EK book so that the topics weren't so fresh on my mind. This let me get a better idea of my weaknesses. I went back and reviewed all the questions I got wrong or had to guess on. I made absolutely sure I knew why I missed them.

I supplemented my weakest area (E&M) with my college physics textbook. I read through the E&M chapters again and did more practice problems from them.

VR: Do not underestimate the amount of time needed to study for this section. It takes much longer to improve your VR scores than either of the science sections. I made this mistake and did not allow myself enough time to master the verbal section. I read through the EK verbal book and did their 30 minute test. This + my full length AAMC practice tests was my only preparation for VR. I would recommend doing the entire EK 101 passages book.

BS: An important part of this test is being able to understand and interpret scientific data. If you aren't used to this, I would suggest trying to read and interpret some journal articles covering topics which you understand. Don't try to read something that looks like Greek. Look at figures and find the trends and figure out what it means and how it relates to what the author is investigating.

Like the PS section, I used the EK book along with one of my textbooks. I used my Human Physiology book to review my weakest subject (kidneys).

WS: I have nothing to offer for this section. I suck.

EK + Textbooks

EK 30 minute tests, AAMC 3, 6, 9

The EK 30 minute tests are tough, very tough. I was getting 8-9 on the chemistry and physics tests.

AAMC 3: 34
AAMC 6: 35
AAMC 9: 34

Cell & Molecular Biology

Do not cut yourself short on time to prepare for VR! Assuming a solid foundation in the sciences, the VR section takes much more practice to master.

Don't freak out based upon how you feel the day after the test. We are horrible judges of our own performance.

If you have the opportunity, I would recommend doing some tutoring. I tutored in organic chemistry, physics, and human physiology. It's somewhat of a humbling experience. I learned alot about the subjects I thought I had down. I kept catching myself making mistakes while explaining concepts to other people. When you are teaching somebody and have to correct yourself on something you told them, it can be a bit embarrassing. You won't make the same mistake again. I also didn't always have the answer when asked "why?". I had to go look these things up, and I didn't forget them.

Tutoring was a pretty sweet gig. I set my own hours and was paid to study for the MCAT while also helping out other people.

I studied for the MCAT for about 6 weeks. However, I studied very very hard during these 6 weeks. I recommend spreading it out more than I did. I basically did one EK book per week for 4 weeks while taking a light 14 credit hours. (I skipped the organic book. Most of my tutoring was in organic chemistry.) I then took two weeks for practice tests and reviewing the concepts for any problem I missed.

Last edited:
You pretty much killed it. Good work.

15 VR, part luck part genius. Amazing.

That IS genius. You're my hero

So do you think the verbal 100 passages book is worth it? I did most of my PR verbal book but its so hard...I was getting discouraged just yesterday

Last edited:
That IS genius. You're my hero

So do you think the verbal 100 passages book is worth it? I did most of my PR verbal book but its so hard...I was getting discouraged just yesterday

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I think the EK 101 book would be helpful. The passages are pretty spot-on in terms of emulating real passages/questions.

PS=13 VR=11 WS=R BS=14 Composite=38R

Took The Princeton Review course. I paid close attention in class, but admittedly didn't buckle down for much homework until 1.5-2 months before the exam. With about six weeks before the exam, I put my life on hold - I didn't have any caffeine until after work, and then I'd have 8-12 shots of espresso and plow through practice problems for a few (about three) hours. I took my time on the practice problems - I'd spend ten minutes on a single problem if I couldn't remember how to do it, and then refer back to the books after I "gave up".

I did the most thorough reading for physical chemistry and organic chemistry, making flashcards for both. I'd go through these flashcards any time the mood struck - on the subway, with my friends. I skimmed the biology content, making flashcards for the topics I felt would be most important (genetics, cellular biology, etc.) and not spending much time on the topics I felt would be low-yield (muscles, heart, etc.). I admit this decision was a major gamble, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

I worked practice verbal passages now and then, and found that my "attitude" was an important predictor of how well I did. If I was tired or lazy, my score would suffer; likewise, if I was over-caffeinated, I'd make overly aggressive (and incorrect) answer choices. I actually followed Princeton Review's plan for the test, which was to concentrate on six of the seven passages, and then salvage the seventh with any time that was left.

Princeton Review. I had Exam Krackers books, but didn't use them.

Princeton Review and AAMC. AAMC slightly underestimated my score, and while Princeton Review grossly underestimated my score, I felt its difficulty level (i.e., how much I felt like the test "killed me") was closer to the actual exam than the AAMC tests.

Neuroscience.

Be honest with yourself about what you need to study. I barely studied biology, and I was very worried about that decision, but my practice tests (both AAMC and Princeton Review) always turned out well for biology. I'm glad I put that time to better use. I'd also recommend, if you're taking a class, that you really pay attention in class; I noticed plenty of kids who were completely tuned out. You should do practice problems without using the book until you're really stuck. Finally, practice problems, and then analyzing those problems when you're done, are perhaps the best way to study.

Four months, not much time spent on homework for the first two months. For the last 1.5-2 months, 2-6 hours/day (usually closer to three) on weekdays.

AFTER THINKING AND TRYING TO FIGURE HOW DID YOU GET A 15 IN VERBAL?!!! lol But, I figured it out. Rap! If you understand what is going on in rap songs then verbal section becomes a piece of cake to dissect!!

:D

Has anyone here prepared for the MCAT using only ExamKrackers home study plan? If so, how did you do? Did you find it helpful or do you wish you used other study materials?

Has anyone here prepared for the MCAT using only ExamKrackers home study plan? If so, how did you do? Did you find it helpful or do you wish you used other study materials?

Please see my post above. I used EK exclusively and got a 13 PS/15 VR/13 BS (41S). I had the Kaplan Premier Program book, but I used it only once or twice to look up things EK didn't explain clearly.

I didn't take the MCAT yet but I probably will score 30+, my mom's a doctor and so is my grandpa :)

PS=12 VR=12 WS=R BS=13 Composite=37R

I took a Kaplan Classroom course. For each full length practice test I wrote in a journal all of my incorrect (or correct for wrong reasons) questions/answers/reasons. I am far removed from my pre-reqs/undergraduate days. For example, my last gen chem class was Fall of 2001. So I took the content review of Kaplan very seriously. I did all required and recommended work.

PS: Took every Kaplan Section Test for PS. (see note about rusty Chemistry above)
VR: I am a fast reader with good comprehension. STILL practice, practice, practice. I followed the Kaplan strategies and I think it helped.
BS: Again, I needed the content review. I dedicated MONTHS to getting the content down solid.
WR: Did 3 writing sections (both prompts) during my practice exams. Wanted to work on fatigue issues (a whole extra hour is something to keep in mind if you want to skip them during serious practice tests). I did some research on FDR and McDonald's the day before the exam. Didn't end up using either, but I felt better prepared. I was actually shocked by my score in this section. I am not a strong writer and have trouble with spelling. I guess my job the last five years has helped me be more communicative in my writing and less dense/science-y.

Kaplan all the way. I had EK books for Physics and Biology that I used to review concepts because my journal pointed out trends of missing concepts in certain topics and I had basically memorized the Kaplan text by that time from reviewing it so frequently.

All AAMC and all but two Kaplan. I spent the last month taking 3-4 FL a week. I saved most of the AAMC to complete at the end. My last five AAMC tests were 37-36-37-37-38. So my 37 wasn't a fluke. In case anyone is curious my Kaplan Diagnostic was 27 and my first AAMC practice test (after all content review) was a 34.

General Engineering. I have worked for the last five years at a technical consulting firm.

++If you are working, save money. Then take time off before the test to devote to studying. I didn't want to say, "Oh I would have done better if I hadn't been working full time and studying." I took 6 months unpaid leave to pursue this med school dream. Maybe you only need 3 months or 6 weeks. In any case, invest in yourself. Make the MCAT your job. Wake up at 8, start studying or taking a FL. Take 30 minutes for lunch. Back to the grind until 6 or 7. As an undergraduate I would have balked at that schedule, but once you're working, that's what your day is like and you are used to it. Use that to your advantage.
++Post a schedule of your study and stick to it!
++Get a good night's sleep the night before. Wash your sheets. Wear those ear plugs. Personally, I stayed in a hotel and had gym access and a free breakfast in the morning.
++Be friendly and nice in the waiting area. One girl was so nervous she couldn't even speak to answer my questions about if she had a good breakfast that morning. I wasn't nervous until I had to stand with all those people ready to poop out diamonds for 30 minutes.

Five months. Three were Kaplan content review on their schedule. It was a lot of time every week, but I always had all required and recommended content completed before class. Of course I needed to have at least a refresher and at most a total re-learn of all material. Two months were spent taking almost every single FL I could get my hands on.

2nd caree,
Which Kaplan FL did you find most useful?
Most say 1-6 are the best, would you agree?

PS=14 VR=11 WS=T BS=14 Composite=39T

I'm in chem eng, and am naturally confident in my writing. I took a Kaplan diagnostic with no prep to test the waters and got a 30, weakest in Bio (as should be expected I guess?). I got the EK set and the 101 verbal. I got through just about all of the lectures and half of the verbal. I studied about 5-8 hours a day, alternating subjects, then ending the week with a fl (but I never wrote the essays... And one week I skipped the FL)

I guess I gave this away above... I had the EK set and VR 101... I got through most of it.
I only studied 21 days though...

I used the free aamc one, two EKs and a Kaplan diagnostic... I never wrote a WS, just brainstormed.

I had just finished third year of chemical engineering

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking

Um... EK verbal is pretty solid... Try to avoid cliche examples in your WS... I had taken a history of technology and society course that helped with that...

For the test day... Stay calm, eat well, be rested... The usual? There is enough time tondo everything! I had enough time to check all of my answers and proofread my samples give or take a bit.

3 weeks... I had finals in April, and gave myself to may 1st to have a mini break... Then studied till test day on the 22nd.

2nd caree,
Which Kaplan FL did you find most useful?
Most say 1-6 are the best, would you agree?

I took Kaplan FL 1-8. FL 1 was taken, as suggested by Kaplan, when I was done with 2/3 of content review. It was great to see how much I had learned, but since I hadn't finished reviewing it was a waste of a full length in the long run.

I don't know if I can say any FL was closer to my MCAT (5/21/10) than another. They all helped me to become more confident with the material and to unearth gaps in my knowledge that I didn't realize I had. [for example, the cell is easy enough, right? yet I consistently missed questions relating to the cell, so I studied that chapter from Kaplan and EK many many times] When it came time for the real MCAT no topic surprised me.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but maybe you'll find it helpful.

I took Kaplan FL 1-8. FL 1 was taken, as suggested by Kaplan, when I was done with 2/3 of content review. It was great to see how much I had learned, but since I hadn't finished reviewing it was a waste of a full length in the long run.

I don't know if I can say any FL was closer to my MCAT (5/21/10) than another. They all helped me to become more confident with the material and to unearth gaps in my knowledge that I didn't realize I had. [for example, the cell is easy enough, right? yet I consistently missed questions relating to the cell, so I studied that chapter from Kaplan and EK many many times] When it came time for the real MCAT no topic surprised me.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but maybe you'll find it helpful.

Thanks for the response.
I get your point, it actually made perfect sense

Status
Not open for further replies.