I had a terrible first year at a community college, will this ruin me forever?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matt12121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right out of high school I started taking classes at my local community college. My slacker habits followed me from high school, and so I ended up with 8 classes completed with a 2.4 GPA. I even failed 2 classes! This year (2nd year) I currently have straight A's and am even ranked first in my Biology 101 class after getting near-perfect scores on our exams. So can I turn things around and eventually get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

So right out of high school I started taking classes at my local community college. My slacker habits followed me from high school, and so I ended up with 8 classes completed with a 2.4 GPA. I even failed 2 classes! This year (2nd year) I currently have straight A's and am even ranked first in my Biology 101 class after getting near-perfect scores on our exams. So can I turn things around and eventually get into medical school?
Yes, you can.

Many of us here on the non-trad forum have bad freshman grades, some of which are decades old. Check out the Low GPA Success Stories and Low GPA Plans for Success threads. :thumbup:

It will not hurt you at all as long as you maintain good grades from now on..

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this roughly 30 semester units? If so, you've made things harder on yourself, but the good news is that they are not impossible. You need to change things quickly. 90 units with a 3.7 average will land you a 3.4ish GPA. You will be hurting for MD, but you might have a shot at DO (depending on the stats in 3 years).

Hey, thanks for replying everyone. I'm glad you don't think completely destroys my chances. I realized that I made a slight mistake on my GPA, I just looked it up and it's actually a 2.75. And another thing, don't medical schools count your science and math GPA separately? If I keep that really high, how much of a difference would that make? I've only taken 2 classes in that category and gotten A's in both.

Hey, thanks for replying everyone. I'm glad you don't think completely destroys my chances. I realized that I made a slight mistake on my GPA, I just looked it up and it's actually a 2.75. And another thing, don't medical schools count your science and math GPA separately? If I keep that really high, how much of a difference would that make? I've only taken 2 classes in that category and gotten A's in both.
Medical Schools are first concerned with your cGPA because that's what they report to US News. However, a strong science GPA your freshman year at least gives you the excuse that your aptitude is toward science, but don't let that be a reason to keep your cGPA low. You've caught a break this time around. Hopefully you can let it be a learning lesson and not a reason to further slack off.

:oops:I've cross-posted this at the Post-Baccalaureate Section ----->

Community college classes: (Graduated with 3.42 cgpa)
1998 Fall: College Algebra - A (3 credits)
1998 Fall: Physical Science Survey I Lab – NC (no credit)
1998 Fall: Physical Science Survey I – B (3 credits)
1999 Spring: Microbiology Lab - A (1 credit)
1999 Spring: Microbiology – A (3 credits)
1999 Spring: Trigonometry – B (3 credits)
1999 Summer: Introduction to Organic BioChemistry Lab – A (1 credit)
1999 Summer: Introduction to Organic BioChemistry – A (3 credits)

Private College: (Declared Major as Comp. Sci. but, later, changed in Bus. Admin.)
1999 Fall: Calculus with Analytic Geometry – F (3 credits)
2000 Spring: Calculus with Analytic Geometry – D (3 credits)
2000 Fall: Elementary Statistics – B (3 credits)
2001 Spring: Finite Mathematics –B (3 credits)
Graduated with 3.15 after slow start (2 C's in the mist of courses as well)

Later, I went completed Bachelors; BS in Bus. Admin. W/ cgpa: 3.15

I completed an MBA (general business) with 3.5 gpa (Got a C+ in Managerial Finance). @ same Private College

HBCU (State School): Complete MPA (professional accountancy) with a 3.091 (grad gpa) with 2.75 ugpa for prerequistes = 3.08 cumulative accounting gpa.

I took two educational graduate degree courses: received an A and B – before completing MPA which brought up cgpa for degree to a 3.15 gpa.

Currently, I was just accepted to MAT to complete two additional graduate classes for 5 year teaching license. Presently, I'm studying for the CPA exam. I hate starting something and not finishing it.

However, my grades are not stellar because I had a great deal of anxiety that I managed to self-treatment and in which one session with a social worker helped me to get over it.

I know now to just be productive and stay on time and maintain consistency with that productivity. If I could have gotten help with my issues a while ago, I would have had the confidence to pursue something as rigorous as medical school. I've just turned 33 years old, so I'm no spring chicken.

SGPA: 2.62
cGPA for all college work: 3.21

I have about 238 college credits at this point. Is there any hope for me?

Mississippi doesn't have a formal post-baccaulaureate program, but it does have an daytime SMP, which will present obstacles for me to attend.

I've figured out how to get A's now, so that helps; for me, this means doing the work early and completing whatever is thrown at me early. Also, it means getting feedback early. My procrastination caused by self-doubt and anxiety (according to Social Worker) is what caused this, for which I concur.

Ok, this is my humble opinion, you aren't going to budge your GPA. Your best bet is to try to retake courses you did poorly in and potentially try DO programs, and additionally take bunches of upper-level science courses and maintain straight A's... Try to show you've actually improved your grades/work ethic. You have a very low sGPA, and that will hurt, and unless you have only the courses listed for science, could be hard to move... I'd also call your state school and find out what they think, that's what I did, and that's why I am on the plan I'm doing...

Is it possible to bring it up to sGPA 3.5 or should I think about S

I'm just considering all my options. Okay, I've worked out theoretical possibility which is I'll have to take twenty classes with labs (4 credits) and get all A's to bring up my sgpa to a 3.5.

:oops:I've cross-posted this at the Post-Baccalaureate Section ----->

Community college classes: (Graduated with 3.42 cgpa)

Private College: (Declared Major as Comp. Sci. but, later, changed in Bus. Admin.)

Later, I went completed Bachelors; BS in Bus. Admin. W/ cgpa: 3.15

I completed an MBA (general business) with 3.5 gpa (Got a C+ in Managerial Finance). @ same Private College

HBCU (State School): Complete MPA (professional accountancy) with a 3.091 (grad gpa) with 2.75 ugpa for prerequistes = 3.08 cumulative accounting gpa.

I took two educational graduate degree courses: received an A and B – before completing MPA which brought up cgpa for degree to a 3.15 gpa.

Currently, I was just accepted to MAT to complete two additional graduate classes for 5 year teaching license. Presently, I'm studying for the CPA exam. I hate starting something and not finishing it.

However, my grades are not stellar because I had a great deal of anxiety that I managed to self-treatment and in which one session with a social worker helped me to get over it.

I know now to just be productive and stay on time and maintain consistency with that productivity. If I could have gotten help with my issues a while ago, I would have had the confidence to pursue something as rigorous as medical school. I've just turned 33 years old, so I'm no spring chicken.

SGPA: 2.62
cGPA for all college work: 3.21

I have about 238 college credits at this point. Is there any hope for me?

Mississippi doesn't have a formal post-baccaulaureate program, but it does have an daytime SMP, which will present obstacles for me to attend.

I've figured out how to get A's now, so that helps; for me, this means doing the work early and completing whatever is thrown at me early. Also, it means getting feedback early. My procrastination caused by self-doubt and anxiety (according to Social Worker) is what caused this, for which I concur.

Try re-posting this into the what are my chances forum to get more replies.

The way I see it is that your only hope at this stage is to enroll in your local 4 year university and take at least a year of full time courses ensuring that the majority of them are sciences. Get A's in those to raise your science GPA to above a 3.0 and then apply for a SMP program for the following year. If you do well in the SMP program then you'll have a shot at a MD school.

Alternatively, you can spend the year re-taking courses you've done poorly in, focusing on the science courses, and then apply to DO schools. Keep in mind that both of these options will require a decent MCAT.

Community college classes: (Graduated with 3.42 cgpa); * = Updated
*1997 Fall: Biology I Lab - A (1 credit)
*1997 Fall: Biology I - A (3 credits)
*1998 Spring: Elementary Algebra -C (3 credits)
*1998 Spring: Biology II Lab - B (3 credits)
*1998 Spring: Biology II - B (3 credits)
*1998 Summer: Intermediate Algebra -C (3 credits)

* indicates updated courses, previously omitted

I know the two C's, the F, and D will trash my sgpa but will a combination post-baccalaureate and SMP help.

I'll definitely repost it in the What are my chances section. I should have done this years ago. This would have saved me a great deal of time.

Community college classes: (Graduated with 3.42 cgpa); * = Updated
*1997 Fall: Biology I Lab - A (1 credit)
*1997 Fall: Biology I - A (3 credits)
*1998 Spring: Elementary Algebra -C (3 credits)
*1998 Spring: Biology II Lab - B (3 credits)
*1998 Spring: Biology II - B (3 credits)
*1998 Summer: Intermediate Algebra -C (3 credits)

* indicates updated courses, previously omitted

I know the two C's, the F, and D will trash my sgpa but will a combination post-baccalaureate and SMP help.

Yes it will definitely help. It doesn't look like you have too many total science credits (approx 40 credits?) so a year (approx 30+ credits) of good science grades will definitely bring your science GPA up to a respectable level.

SMP's generally require a minimum cGPA of 3.0 and yours looks like it will be above that. Additionally, the additional year will give you a solid upward trend in the sciences which will also help make you competitive for admission to one. All you'd need beyond that is a 30+ mcat and you should be able to get into an SMP program. Once into the SMP absolutely make sure you kick ass and then you'll definitely have a realistic chance at a MD school assuming everything else is in order.

Thanks again for the good advice. It was very helpful as well as detailed. I believe I can accomplish this. Hmm, starting med school at 35 doesn't sound that bad.

I will be 36 if I get in when I apply next year. However, due to my high levels of tenacity, I would expect that will be the case, I will be applying broadly, even to Caribbean schools, just to make sure that I get in somewhere... I don't want to start pushing well into my 40s before I'm in my residency... as I will already be graduating at 40... Which for the record is still younger than many people on this forum...

Well, we are close in age and have something in common.

Are you thinking about both DO and MD schools?

Oh, by the way, how are your funding your prerequisites?

Some people think it's best for me to just finish taking my prerequisites and retake some of the ones I've already taken, since my science gpa does not consist of many prerequisites.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

Coming into this site late and wanted to throw in my opinion on old academic records. Just be able to explain why you have unpleasantries on your academic record. I had to explain why I failed an Anatomy lab at community college in 1995, even though I made an A in the same class the next semester. Interviewers will see your academic progress as it improves and recognize trends. Just keep on top of things as you progress!

I did very poorly my first year of college and then did very well for the next four years. If you have very high grades (3.7 or higher) for the rest of college, I doubt that it will hurt you. In my experience, this was actually a positive, as I proved that I knew how to work in my classes, rather than to coast on my ability...