Microbiology UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrcable

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in taking the Microbiology degree that is offered by the University of Florida online. I understand that the majority of schools do not accept the prerequistes to be done online, so I am currently taking them at a campus. However, I work as a Firefighter/Paramedic and am on a shift schedule so it makes it difficult to take a full course load due to the changing days of shift. This program is very appealing to me. All of the lectures are video material taken straight from the actual lecture on the campus. The labs are done at a school in your area so that you are able to get the hands on experience of Microbiology and ask questions to your professor if need be. I have done some research and it seems that there is zero indication that this is an "online" bachelors degree. The way the department talks about it is that it is a regular Bachelors in Microbiology degree that you would receive just as if you went to the school. My question is, has anyone taken this and applied to medical school? or has anyone had any succes speaking to medical schools about this program? Your opinon and any knowledge you hold will be greatly appreciated. http://microbiology.ifas.ufl.edu/ <----- you can check out the program at that link if you would like.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also I have called both Lake Erie College and Nova Southeastern and neither of them seemed to have any problem with it.

It's a great program. You'll just have Pre reqs at different colleges (since I don't think they offer the Pre reqs online) but no colleges will care as long as its from a 4 year institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't post identical threads in multiple places.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I thought labs were in-person for this program? If that's the case, you can't really classify it as a fully online program and doubt they'll hold it against you.

The labs are in person. It is not fully an online degree. It is half and half because the labs are at an actual college campus and done in person. The lectures are done online through video recordings of the actual lectures at UF.

As far as I know, your transcripts will not in any way indicate that the class was taken online. As long as you have labs for the pre-reqs that require a lab, you're good. Other than that I'm pretty sure no schools will ever be able to know that a class was taken online unless you tell them personally.

Your transcript will not say anything about online anywhere, nor will your degree.