****Official KCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would think something like that would be a major undertaking. The post said it would open in 2007? Could it really be ready in just two years?

I also wonder why such a major announcement would not be on the ATSU web site. I couldn't find it.

Members don't see this ad.

"The Board of Trustees of A.T. Still University of Health Sciences are evaluating the possibility of adding a D.O. program to our campus in Arizona as part of a proposed Long-Range plan. No finalized decisions have been made yet regarding the school as it is still being investigated.

Brad Risby
Admissions Counselor A.T. Still University of Health Sciences"

Here is what I would assume to be reliable info. that is posted on the other thread. Just goes to show you that you never know who is reading these posts, lol. Hello, KCOM admissions team! :love:

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get a KCOM bumper/window sticker, besides the actual campus bookstore? I checked the online bookstore but there were none there. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
PsychDoc76 said:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know where I can get a KCOM bumper/window sticker, besides the actual campus bookstore? I checked the online bookstore but there were none there. Thanks!
i don't think they exist :eek:

We received an email from the university president outlining the boards approval for a new D.O. school in Arizona as well as expanding the M.S. program here to a Ph.D. and adding doctorate of Nursing. So, there are going to be a lot of students in the ville! That doesn't mean it is going to happen; there are many logistics that need to be resolved.

Anyone else get financial aid info via email today?

jnpeacoc said:
Anyone else get financial aid info via email today?
....on our ATSU email???? hey jesse, how do i get my atsu email forwarded to my hotmail? :D

thanks

It wasn't sent to class of 2009. Only to the current students. Just a heads up, you want to use gmail, because you will get at least 15 emails on a normal day. You need a very efficient system that will filter your emails before you even look at them.

Anyway, go to webmail. Click on the the icon at the top that looks like check marks. Then click on mailbox management. Then enter the email address you want to forward to. You may want to have the emails deleted from the server once you have verified that all is working--or you will fill up FAST.

good luck.

wanna good read? click here

I'm in class of 2009 and I got my financial aid today....

To foward email, do this:

Click the options button (on the top, under the date, middle button)
Click the "Mailbox Management" tab
Set "Foward all new messages" to yes
Underneath that in "Foward to" type in the address you want it sent to
Click "Save" at the bottom of the page

That's it. Let me know if anyone has any difficulties with this.

I've got a Gmail account that I foward all my ATSU and my undergrad emails to...helps me not miss anything. If anyone still doesn't have a Gmail invite yet and wants one, PM me.

-Jesse

here is the latest click here . I don't get the department of revenue being involved??? Does that mean he paid his taxes and all was forgiven? My little brother was charged with a felony and then dropped--I wonder if my dad paid the department of revenue too. Driving in the wrong lane? The test MUST have been administered improperly. You know, maybe he fell asleep at the wheel and coincidentally the breathalyzer was contaminated. Oh well. I shouldn't judge anybody.

hey guys, r the forums set up yet? Anyone looking for a roomate in the KCOM student apartments?

Members don't see this ad :)
jnpeacoc said:
I'm in class of 2009 and I got my financial aid today....

To foward email, do this:

Click the options button (on the top, under the date, middle button)
Click the "Mailbox Management" tab
Set "Foward all new messages" to yes
Underneath that in "Foward to" type in the address you want it sent to
Click "Save" at the bottom of the page

That's it. Let me know if anyone has any difficulties with this.

I've got a Gmail account that I foward all my ATSU and my undergrad emails to...helps me not miss anything. If anyone still doesn't have a Gmail invite yet and wants one, PM me.

-Jesse

Jesse,

Thanks for letting us know!

Have you already filled out all the forms?

Amber

I saw some of you as "new members" of the forums. Can you see any of the forums?

1viking said:
I saw some of you as "new members" of the forums. Can you see any of the forums?

I can access the forums, but only the handhelds and politics in healthcare sections. Do you know when they typically add a section for the incoming class?

Right, I remember talking about this. I have a horrible brain for the unimportant stuff. Think think think...I just looked up our posts, and the first post was on April 16, 2004--so, somebody upstairs better get cracking!

Medicfletch said:
I can access the forums, but only the handhelds and politics in healthcare sections. Do you know when they typically add a section for the incoming class?
i can only access the same ones as well...

Anyone have any recommendations for a moving company into Kirksville? I know Uhaul is available , but is there any good self move freight company service?
Thanks in advance.

i just got back from k-town this past weekend after my housing search. i hadn't been there since nov. and my interview, so it was nice to get to know the town a little more and visit the school one more time in a relaxed setting. not to mention, i went to minn's cuisine for dinner and probably had the best steak i've had in years...i definitely recommend it. i'm sure the current students know what i'm talking about. anyways, i stopped by the financial aid office as well and showed them the award letter i had just received via email (i filled out fafsa back in feb.). steve jorden walked me through the online process (which is pretty easy) and answered some more questions my mom had about how much or how little i should take out for loans. everyone was a big help and i also got some health ins. information if people are interested.

i found a great place on Bobwhite Drive (north side of town near the new home depot) and went through heritage house realty to rent it. for those who are still looking for a place, i recommend going through them (www.kirksvillerealestate.com) and talking to vicki benson and/or ken read...they were very helpful.

there's still some good places left, but they're going fast according to them. i have some 2 bd/1 bath options we looked at if you're wanting some addresses that should still be available.

i even tried to make it back to Kansas City for a Royals game, but got there during the 9th inning. it was nice to drive around KC though.

looking forward to meeting you all in august.

I'm a 2nd year student at KCOM right now. If any of you have questions about school or whatever,shoot me an email. I don't check this site very much, but I'd be happy to respond to questions or concerns individually.

Also, I have an Internet site journal that I've been writing every day since medical school started. Feel free to check it out.

www.jasondreyer.com
id: kcom
password: kcom1892

Good luck to all of you, and really, feel free to email.

-Jason Dreyer, MSII
[email protected]

Just out of curiosity, anyone who applied for on-campus housing heard anything yet?

JohnDO said:
Just out of curiosity, anyone who applied for on-campus housing heard anything yet?
Still waiting. I applied not too long ago..hope I get it!

For those of you still looking for housing, a company has just built brand new apartments, right across the street from the hospital, they have one bedrooms and 3 bedrooms....the one bedrooms are 300 a month...here is the #---1-660-626-5088(the apartments are on osteopathy right across from the medical center)......Good luck monkeys.....and cya next year.......

M1

Hi,
Welcome to KCOM!!! It's an excellent school and I'm really glad I chose to come here:). Congratulations!

michmaki said:
For those of you still looking for housing, a company has just built brand new apartments, right across the street from the hospital, they have one bedrooms and 3 bedrooms....the one bedrooms are 300 a month...here is the #---1-660-626-5088(the apartments are on osteopathy right across from the medical center)......Good luck monkeys.....and cya next year.......

M1

Do you know how many apartments there are?

Medicfletch said:

It's probably a little ways off still. Email your student services peeps and ask them to unlock the forums.
:)

smc927 said:
I would think something like that would be a major undertaking. The post said it would open in 2007? Could it really be ready in just two years?

I believe so. The building already exists and is operational, so it wouldn't be *that* much work to prepare for the didactic years.

michmaki said:

M1

congratulations you crazies. hrmmm. entering the game a little late here. anyways, interviewed late (mid-march) and got an email from donna sparks saying i was in just last week, but she said a 2005 start depended on a couple seats opening up. otherwise, i had a secured spot for 2006 with no re-applying. *sigh* so i'm waiting to hear......again. but while we wait:

residence: chicagoland (northbrook, IL)
school: university of illinois at chicago (B.S., biology/psychology)
currently: EMT/ER tech
self: 22 yo male

wow. i just read all 17 previous pages and realized that a) i'm probably going to be joining the armed forces because i didn't fill out a fafsa yet, b) i'm actually going to be studying while i deliver pizzas cause the hpsp's are likely all gone, and c) i'll try to camp out in the woods for the year because i have not even thought about looking for housing yet.

ohboy. ----dave

tuesdaynight said:
congratulations you crazies. hrmmm. entering the game a little late here. anyways, interviewed late (mid-march) and got an email from donna sparks saying i was in just last week, but she said a 2005 start depended on a couple seats opening up. otherwise, i had a secured spot for 2006 with no re-applying. *sigh* so i'm waiting to hear......again. but while we wait:

residence: chicagoland (northbrook, IL)
school: university of illinois at chicago (B.S., biology/psychology)
currently: EMT/ER tech
self: 22 yo male

wow. i just read all 17 previous pages and realized that a) i'm probably going to be joining the armed forces because i didn't fill out a fafsa yet, b) i'm actually going to be studying while i deliver pizzas cause the hpsp's are likely all gone, and c) i'll try to camp out in the woods for the year because i have not even thought about looking for housing yet.

ohboy. ----dave
you can live near the lake in thousand hills park :D
hopefully something opens up for you!! good luck

JohnDO said:

well, haven't received anything, but noticed that they cashed my check on 4/20.

Hi guys,
I received a call from Wendy three weeks to let me know that I have secured 1 bed apartment. However, I have not received anything in mail yet! She told me that she was going to go on a vacation for two weeks, and then she'll start sending out info. about the address and other stuff.

Thanks Jonathan for showing me around while I was in Kirksville.

TuesdayNight...What's up man? I go to UIC as well. Hope to see you around campus next two weeks or during the graduation. Pe@ce.

Good luck to everybody with the FINALS!

I logged into the My ATSU Portal and was able to check my email (that's about it). There was a financial aid email there from April 13. It had my award letter for the year. Go figure, it has been waiting for me for over 10 days!

I'll have to rely on federal financial aid and private loans - hoping the NHSC thing comes through for me. Too bad I won't know until after the first term starts!

Anybody else get anything?

I have yet to hear back from financial aid... Course, my FAFSA hasn't been turned in for very long (relatively speaking). Anyone else still waiting for the official word denoting how far in debt they will be in a couple months? :scared: Also, is it difficult to secure private loans if necessary?

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
I have yet to hear back from financial aid... Course, my FAFSA hasn't been turned in for very long (relatively speaking). Anyone else still waiting for the official word denoting how far in debt they will be in a couple months? :scared: Also, is it difficult to secure private loans if necessary?

I'm also starting the MHA program so that may have given me some kind of a jump on financial aid. They had to do my financial aid for the summer MHA classes before the DO program starts in the fall. They had my FAFSA sometime in March.

As far as private loans I wondered if I'd qualify. My credit is imperfect but not bad. Mostly just a few high credit balances (what do they expect - it costs a fortune to apply to medical school!). The info they sent me included a link where I could apply for a private loan.

I only needed less than 1/6 of the total budget in private loans. I applied following ATSU's instructions and I qualified. No cosigner needed. I don't know how they weigh everything but I'm proof you don't have to be one of those 700+ kinds to get the private loans.

Thanks for the quick turnaround there, smc! Good info. to know. I'm carrying on some extra credit card debt as well (in addition to a somewhat sizable stafford from undergrad). Should be able to pay a good portion of the card balances off before school starts, but I'm hesitant to until I receive my financial aid. (Would have been nice to have put that $2000 towards it, lol.) Moving can be a pretty expensive undertaking as well! I'm just a little nervous about loans at the moment. Might have to start keeping a checkbook, lol. :D (Kidding... :oops: Sort of.) There's been a lot of activity on here tonight...

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:

I looked at the budget sheet for our first year here at KCOM last August and was strict with my finances and took the chance of NOT getting private loans. I live fairly conservatively, sharing a house with roommates, and I probably spend about $30 a month on going out to eat or having coffee. On breaks, I fly Southwest ($99 one way tickets, heck yea) to go home, booking those flights WAY in advance. It's totally doable, you just have to be strict with your cash flow and know how to tighten those purse strings. Being in KV helps because of the lower rent.

However, it must be said that my parents were really helpful --financially, along with lovey dovey parent stuff -- with the move out here and getting situated (that's where a lot of your money's going to be spent too, if you ask me).

And when you do look at your budget sheet from the financial aid office, there's an amount allotted for spending on books -- which is if you bought ALL your books. The last book I bought for a class wasn't even a textbook, but a board review book instead, which is half the price of a textbook. Assume you'd buy the books, but be frugal elsewhere (and be honest with yourself -- if you're used to going out every weekend or eating fast food instead of cooking, don't kid yourself, you'll end up spending more, so just take that into account).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not living on ramen and water, freezing my butt in the cold weather, and studying by candlelight. I just cut out the financial fat so I am in (less) debt in the end. Something to think about, in case you'd rather not take out those private loans.

-N

NewRawTick said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not living on ramen and water, freezing my butt in the cold weather, and studying by candlelight. I just cut out the financial fat so I am in (less) debt in the end. Something to think about, in case you'd rather not take out those private loans.

That is really great advice. "Live frugal now or live frugal later." I second that.

I knew going into this I'd have a wife and kids to take care of while in school which meant more debt. But it is a great tradeoff in my opinion. :)

At the same time - debt is debt. I'm hoping for the NHSC scholarship. There is that and the military for those who might be interested. Imagine not having to pay back $200,000 + interest!

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:

I got my financial aid about 2 weeks ago. I'm not in any other programs, turned in my FAFSA in mid/late March. I have no debt and no income (right out of undergrad!), so I don't know if that would affect the processing speed at all.

-Jesse

NewRawTick said:
I looked at the budget sheet for our first year here at KCOM last August and was strict with my finances and took the chance of NOT getting private loans. I live fairly conservatively, sharing a house with roommates, and I probably spend about $30 a month on going out to eat or having coffee. On breaks, I fly Southwest ($99 one way tickets, heck yea) to go home, booking those flights WAY in advance. It's totally doable, you just have to be strict with your cash flow and know how to tighten those purse strings. Being in KV helps because of the lower rent.
-N

I don't want to be too personal, but what would you (or anyone) say is the minimum amount of loan that students can live off of for a year? (Assuming no other income.) I have been "living like a student" for so long that I can't remember any other options, lol... I have already been thinking, "So, if I don't buy the books, and..."

C8H10N4O2Junkie said:
I don't want to be too personal, but what would you (or anyone) say is the minimum amount of loan that students can live off of for a year? (Assuming no other income.) I have been "living like a student" for so long that I can't remember any other options, lol... I have already been thinking, "So, if I don't buy the books, and..."

I've also been "living like a student", I can empathize. I took the Stafford Loans (sub and unsub), which I think added up to somewhere around 40-42k. One of my roommates did the same thing her 1st year and got by fine as well. Having brought my books from undergrad helped out -- biochem is biochem, right? Our library is open from 7am-midnight during the week and have great weekend hours as well, where you can check out a textbook for two hours at a time, if you really needed to look something up. Even profs will tell you that you don't really *need* to buy the books, since all of the material is in their note packets, and they've got an open-door policy with office hours if you have any questions.

Things you can cut out or reduce from that "budget expenses list" from the financial aid office:
- $100 for noteservice: we record our lectures as mp3 files instead of pay for a transcriber, that way notes are available online to those who are in the noteservice group
- $1,000+ for equipment: a classmate of ours arranged a bulk order with Steeles Medical supplies and got us a HUGE discount on stethoscopes, otoscopes, cuffs, etc. I spent probably $550 total and I have everything basic I need. If you want an OTM table, that'll run you $200+, but I'm not sure since I didn't buy one this year. If you want to practice, the school has at least one in each breakout room, and you may also check one out from the library for a week or two, I think.

Another classmate of mine also said that at the end of the year, if he has any extra loan money left over, he's going to give it right back to his loan provider so he won't be tempted to spend any more. That's a good idea if you want to just go ahead and take the private loans, keep them in a "secret savings account" and not ever look at them unless you have an emergency or something, then give it back to your lender at the end of the year.

I should also add that my health (until I turn 25) and car insurance is via the parentals, which does add up when it came to "saving."

But most definitely, it's either live like a student now or live like a student later. =) Feel free to PM if you have more questions too.

-N

Well, I am feeling guilty because I have been reading these posts here since I signed up for SDN and never once made a contribution. I was accepted to KCOM back in early October and that is probably the main source of my burdened conscience, tons of other people were just accepted and have been way more active than me, I apologise. As for me, I am currently in Utah and finally graduating from Utah State University in Psychology and minor in chemistry. I have a wife and daughter now and hoping to get a dog (weimeraner maybe?) in the near future, providing housing will permit. Last, I work at BestBuy and am dying because I am going to have to give up my employee discount when I start this fall, I can already feel technology withdrawals coming on. Ok, need some advice from some fellow computer geeks about laptops, I am tempted to switch from my Windows to getting a PowerBook G4 15", anyone know if KCOM has good tech support for macs? Anyway it has been fun reading all your posts for the last 8 months and i promise to be more present in this forum.

Jordan

BTW - I am in the Air Force HPSP so if anyone has any questions about joining, let me know.

Don't buy any medical equipment no matter how tempted you are--you don't need it. There are plenty of people at school that get it all and you can borrow theirs.

Support for mac? That is funny. Support here is minimal for anything. Having said that, my mac buddies have no problems. I'll be honest, though, save your money. There is very little reason to have a laptop. There are two instances that I can think of having a laptop is helpful. First, when we have PBL's for biochem--it is nice to have your laptop so that you can google the questions. Second, it is nice to hook your laptop up to the projectors to take practice tests with fellow classmates. Sometimes the computers in the breakout rooms have Novell issues that don't allow them to open apps like adobe and powerpoint. It is a joke, but this is med school. Save your money.

Having said that, I am thinking about getting a powerbook. But, I am too tight with money, so I won't. If you have issues with Windows, then go to linux. There are some students at the school that are linux freaks and will be willing to help with any issues. I tend to enjoy Wanda the Fortune Teller (helps me know who is logged onto my laptop through the network--you would be amazed) with my fedora core operating system.

For those who are considering the Powerbook, I suggest you lean the iBook way instead. Yes, it's not as heavy-duty, but I go a long way on my $799 refurb one. With some extra RAM, it's great for everything -- even video editing. With the extra durability, great wireless range, and outstanding stability, it runs circles around all PCs I've ever owned. If you do get the Apple, I'm glad to help out any way I can :~)

Wahoo! New student forum is up on the KCOM page!

Also, as far as laptops, anyone else have/getting a tablet PC? I got a Toshiba M205 this past February and I LOVE it. It is my baby. :) J/k but if you have one you know what I mean. I'll give advice or field any questions about it if people are ocnsidering getting one.

Anyone STILL not have the ability to change your password, check the forums, etc? Basically all I can do is check my email. This may be due to the fact that I still owe them the final $500 pre-matriculation fee. Does anyone who has NOT paid the last 500 have access to these features?

And TennisDOc, there can only be one tennis champion at KCOM! ;) :)

Hi dudes, I am going to be heading to KCOM in the fall and am looking to find a possible roomate for my Scott St. apartment. Do any of you know someone that would be interested? If so, I can be reached at [email protected].

I am unable to access anything but email as well.

if you can't login to the forums, email the help desk. It happens every year. It is also a quick fix.