AN EXCERPT from my crappy life story... along with a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc.Holliday

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i originally started on this thread to ask about my gpa, so if youre in a rush, just skip down to the bottom, but please read everything if you can, id really love some advice/reassurance.

~~you may skip this next part if you really really wish~~

how did i come to have my current gpa? well, I have ~3.38 (not absolutely sure, and i have no way of checking just yet)...

Upon arriving at university, i had this silly notion that i would learn everything and anything under the sun, if i'd had my way id have 10 majors, a professional student if you will. i just love to learn. a good outlook i suppose, but not for a premed. Ive carried a max+ courseload ever since (so i suppose i still have the remnants of that silly outlook, but ive slowly come to realize i cant have everything, and that i needed to decide what i wanted to do with my life and do what it takes to acheive that... I chose to become a doctor, as i bet many of you have guessed).

right, so freshman year i took 3 bios + labs, 2 chems + labs, 2 calcs, anthropology, english, history, and philosophy... and of course in order to learn the most you must surely seek out the best teachers (aka the hard ones who dont like giving As)... sophomore year was similar, 2 bios, 2 orgos, 2 physics all with labs, art history, english, 2 histories, and 2 spanish + research... in the end, coming in with no AP credits, i could graduate a year early, but ive decided not to, instead i'm pick up history as a second major (in addition to cell/molecular bio) which will allow me to take the languages i want (i am working on spanish, french, and german) and have more time to complete some ongoing research projects, it will allow to graduate with departmental honors plus i can take all the philosophy and english courses i want.

taking so many courses, and so many with big numbers so early on wasnt what did my gpa in, it was my family situation. my parents were divorced at the end of high school, it wasnt pretty... just as i was moving in freshman year my dad kicked us out of our house, i luckily had a dorm room (though i wasnt able to spend much time in it, either year), but my family was homeless for a couple of weeks. finally my grandparents decided this was a worthy enough cause to inconvenience themselves, so they sold their house and bought one that we could all cram into (cram=me my brother and sister all sharing a room). during this time and still as we speak my mother has been battling severe depression (with suicide scares happening often freshman year, things quieted down with her second year), the same with my sister, who is 11.. my brother held up ok, hes on medication also, but not nearly as bad as the others... so that leaves me to be sane and keep everyone else sane and mediate between my mother and father (who couldnt have been more cruel during this entire time, but i wont get into that, lets just leave it that he was). my mother went back to college to get a degree, a sacrafice we all chose to make, live a poor poor life for a few years in exchange for a better one down the line, but its not easy.. my grandfather also started with severe severe demensia and depression during sophomore year. there were quite a few times during the year that i had to drive home to help my brother wrestle him into the van to take him to the hospital, or else help the EMTs. there is quite a bit more to tell, but i dont want to waste your time nor get tooo personal, anyway, on top of that, my dog died, not such a big deal you might say, but it was amazinly important to me, and came at a really bad time..... yea, so im still sane, how i dont know.

but like i said my gpa isnt the greatest. never gotten lower than a B though, thank god.... ive thought about ways of putting my family situation into essays or my ps etc, but havent thought of a tasteful way that will get in why i want to be a doctor etc. my grandfathers depression is partially a consequence of his anesthesia not metabolizing correctly during an operation, and some foul decisions by some of his doctors prior and after that. its made me take a good look at the quality of care given to the elderly, and its not a pretty picture, especially the lack of communication.

ive thought about marking down disadvantaged status, which isnt lying, we are well below the poverty line right now, have been since my dad left, and were when i was little too, in HS i paid my own tuition for private school along with my sisters grammar school tuition (publics are terrible around here), i have been almost totally self sufficient since 15, though i didnt start paying for all of my own food till 18. that would hopefully get it brought up in interviews, and allow my ps etc to cover other things as well.

also, events during freshman year really prevented me from getting involved, fall semester i was moving my family in and out of houses and apartments constantly, plus other issues. so it wasnt until second year that i did anything substantial (research, and some leadership etc)

junior year was supposed to be my year of gpa comeback, straight As for sure, pulling my gpa up to a 3.5+... then hurricane katrina hit, tearing my life, house and family to pieces. my immediate family is all ok, my house is slightly livable, being rebuilt as we speak, but my family had recovered some from depression, but now theyre back down to a low point. Im now across the country taking a couple of classes and working in a lab, trying to stay sane (which is a bit easier as im not at home) and making some money for the family.

thoughts??? its just that all this has affected me greatly, and i kinda think its something i should let them know, i dont want to sound like i'm making excuses, but i suppose at some level i am, but am i wrong to? is my life a worthy excuse?

~~ok, start reading again~~

ok ok, i'll stop whining about my life, and get back to the gpa question. My gpa HAS been affected by my life events, all years by my family, and this one by katrina. Im making good grades here, but none of these courses will go on my university transcript with grades, tulane is counting them as P/F only. i dont know if i'll need to send in a transcript from the college im attending now or not, maybe that will help with the situation and help bring my gpa up, but if they are only counted as P/F, will they take that into account at all when deciding on who to interview? as i wont have had a full junior year to bring it up, especially if i get all As second semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Doc.Holliday said:
i originally started on this thread to ask about my gpa, so if youre in a rush, just skip down to the bottom, but please read everything if you can, id really love some advice/reassurance.

~~you may skip this next part if you really really wish~~

how did i come to have my current gpa? well, I have ~3.38 (not absolutely sure, and i have no way of checking just yet)...

Upon arriving at university, i had this silly notion that i would learn everything and anything under the sun, if i'd had my way id have 10 majors, a professional student if you will. i just love to learn. a good outlook i suppose, but not for a premed. Ive carried a max+ courseload ever since (so i suppose i still have the remnants of that silly outlook, but ive slowly come to realize i cant have everything, and that i needed to decide what i wanted to do with my life and do what it takes to acheive that... I chose to become a doctor, as i bet many of you have guessed).

right, so freshman year i took 3 bios + labs, 2 chems + labs, 2 calcs, anthropology, english, history, and philosophy... and of course in order to learn the most you must surely seek out the best teachers (aka the hard ones who dont like giving As)... sophomore year was similar, 2 bios, 2 orgos, 2 physics all with labs, art history, english, 2 histories, and 2 spanish + research... in the end, coming in with no AP credits, i could graduate a year early, but ive decided not to, instead i'm pick up history as a second major (in addition to cell/molecular bio) which will allow me to take the languages i want (i am working on spanish, french, and german) and have more time to complete some ongoing research projects, it will allow to graduate with departmental honors plus i can take all the philosophy and english courses i want.

taking so many courses, and so many with big numbers so early on wasnt what did my gpa in, it was my family situation. my parents were divorced at the end of high school, it wasnt pretty... just as i was moving in freshman year my dad kicked us out of our house, i luckily had a dorm room (though i wasnt able to spend much time in it, either year), but my family was homeless for a couple of weeks. finally my grandparents decided this was a worthy enough cause to inconvenience themselves, so they sold their house and bought one that we could all cram into (cram=me my brother and sister all sharing a room). during this time and still as we speak my mother has been battling severe depression (with suicide scares happening often freshman year, things quieted down with her second year), the same with my sister, who is 11.. my brother held up ok, hes on medication also, but not nearly as bad as the others... so that leaves me to be sane and keep everyone else sane and mediate between my mother and father (who couldnt have been more cruel during this entire time, but i wont get into that, lets just leave it that he was). my mother went back to college to get a degree, a sacrafice we all chose to make, live a poor poor life for a few years in exchange for a better one down the line, but its not easy.. my grandfather also started with severe severe demensia and depression during sophomore year. there were quite a few times during the year that i had to drive home to help my brother wrestle him into the van to take him to the hospital, or else help the EMTs. there is quite a bit more to tell, but i dont want to waste your time nor get tooo personal, anyway, on top of that, my dog died, not such a big deal you might say, but it was amazinly important to me, and came at a really bad time..... yea, so im still sane, how i dont know.

but like i said my gpa isnt the greatest. never gotten lower than a B though, thank god.... ive thought about ways of putting my family situation into essays or my ps etc, but havent thought of a tasteful way that will get in why i want to be a doctor etc. my grandfathers depression is partially a consequence of his anesthesia not metabolizing correctly during an operation, and some foul decisions by some of his doctors prior and after that. its made me take a good look at the quality of care given to the elderly, and its not a pretty picture, especially the lack of communication.

ive thought about marking down disadvantaged status, which isnt lying, we are well below the poverty line right now, have been since my dad left, and were when i was little too, in HS i paid my own tuition for private school along with my sisters grammar school tuition (publics are terrible around here), i have been almost totally self sufficient since 15, though i didnt start paying for all of my own food till 18. that would hopefully get it brought up in interviews, and allow my ps etc to cover other things as well.

also, events during freshman year really prevented me from getting involved, fall semester i was moving my family in and out of houses and apartments constantly, plus other issues. so it wasnt until second year that i did anything substantial (research, and some leadership etc)

junior year was supposed to be my year of gpa comeback, straight As for sure, pulling my gpa up to a 3.5+... then hurricane katrina hit, tearing my life, house and family to pieces. my immediate family is all ok, my house is slightly livable, being rebuilt as we speak, but my family had recovered some from depression, but now theyre back down to a low point. Im now across the country taking a couple of classes and working in a lab, trying to stay sane (which is a bit easier as im not at home) and making some money for the family.

thoughts??? its just that all this has affected me greatly, and i kinda think its something i should let them know, i dont want to sound like i'm making excuses, but i suppose at some level i am, but am i wrong to? is my life a worthy excuse?

~~ok, start reading again~~

ok ok, i'll stop whining about my life, and get back to the gpa question. My gpa HAS been affected by my life events, all years by my family, and this one by katrina. Im making good grades here, but none of these courses will go on my university transcript with grades, tulane is counting them as P/F only. i dont know if i'll need to send in a transcript from the college im attending now or not, maybe that will help with the situation and help bring my gpa up, but if they are only counted as P/F, will they take that into account at all when deciding on who to interview? as i wont have had a full junior year to bring it up, especially if i get all As second semester?

i am really sorry to hear that you had to go through so much.
if you are getting grades at ur school, the amcas will count them and you'll need to send transcripts from all schools ever attended. do well on mcat, research, volunteer and schools will fight for you. you seem well rounded with the languages and double major. use your story as motivational, what you had to overcome to get to where you are. and most of all dont stress about what you have not done but concentrate on whats ahead. Lots of luck to you and you'll make a great and compassionate doctor.

madonna said:
use your story as motivational, what you had to overcome to get to where you are.

so would you say somehow letting schools know about my situation is a good idea? and if so what way would be most tasteful?

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc.Holliday said:
in HS i paid my own tuition for private school along with my sisters grammar school tuition

Your post is long, so I read fast and may have missed something, but how did you pay for your own private high school tuition?

06applicant said:
Your post is long, so I read fast and may have missed something, but how did you pay for your own private high school tuition?

you didnt miss anything, i didnt say how as its not an important part of the story... i had a construction job all 4 years (demolition, full time in summers), and rebuilt old cars (originally the plan was to save up for a camaro for me to keep for good, but when my dad left i had to sell all that i had at the time to help pay for the house, my sisters tuition etc as i said before... three 67 mustangs, a 68, and 2 carmengias for you curious folk.

Doc.Holliday said:
you didnt miss anything, i didnt say how as its not an important part of the story... i had a construction job all 4 years (demolition, full time in summers), and rebuilt old cars (originally the plan was to save up for a camaro for me to keep for good, but when my dad left i had to sell all that i had at the time to help pay for the house, my sisters tuition etc as i said before... three 67 mustangs, a 68, and 2 carmengias for you curious folk.

I wouldn't say that's unimportant, as it shows dedication: you did what it took to achieve a goal. Anyway, you have a lot of information for a personal statement. Given that you've already applied, I hope you based your PS around your story and not something frivolous. Don't worry about your GPA. The GPA controversy is overblown. I had a 3.50 from my state school and I did alright. Keep your head up.

PhotoMD said:
I wouldn't say that's unimportant, as it shows dedication: you did what it took to achieve a goal. Anyway, you have a lot of information for a personal statement. Given that you've already applied, I hope you based your PS around your story and not something frivolous. Don't worry about your GPA. The GPA controversy is overblown. I had a 3.50 from my state school and I did alright. Keep your head up.

ahh sorry, i havent applied yet, i wrote all that in a rush, so i may have misspoken somewhere, but im still in my junior year...

i'm not exactly worried about getting into A medical school (i think my MCAT score and outside stuff will take care of that), but i am worried about getting into one of the caliber id really like. Sorry if that seems snobbish or such, i dont mean it that way, medical school is medical school, and im happy to be in as good of a position as i am, but i do think that in some respects i was cheated out of my dreams by things i couldnt very well control, and if bringing that to light in some fashion will help put me on an even playing field (somewhere like where i might be if my life were a bit more normal) than id very much like to do so, but i havent yet figured out the best way to talk to medical schools about it, nor decided if i even should. anyway, keep the advice/thoughts coming

Doc.Holliday said:
ahh sorry, i havent applied yet, i wrote all that in a rush, so i may have misspoken somewhere, but im still in my junior year...

i'm not exactly worried about getting into A medical school (i think my MCAT score will take care of that), but i am worried about getting into one of the caliber id really like. Sorry if that seems snobbish or such, i dont mean it that way, medical school is medical school, and im happy to be in as good of a position as i am, but i do think that in some respects i was cheated out of my dreams by things i couldnt very well control, and if bringing that to light in some fashion will help put me on an even playing field (somewhere like where i might be if my life were a bit more normal) than id very much like to do so, but i havent yet figured out the best way to talk to medical schools about it, nor decided if i even should. anyway, keep the advice/thoughts coming

You know, when you talk to people on adcoms, you really find out that GPA and mcats are just factors that get you an interview-- they tell schools whether or not you are likely to be able to do the work, not what kind of doctor you are going to be.

One interviewer told me that mcat and gpa weigh no more than 50% of a person's application. In short, they want the whole package. They want to make sure that you know what you're getting into, that you're dedicated to patients, that you can relate and work well with other people, and that you will eventually become an asset to the medical community.

In the end, no one really cares about your gpa or your mcat score. How many times have you asked your doctor what his stats were? The quantitative data on your application tells you nothing about how well you will do in your clinical years, and let's face it, those are the really important years in medical school that help determine what kind of residency you will get matched to.

In short, your gpa is fine. 3.5 and a 30 on the mcat shows you can handle medical school, and you're well within that range. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine.

silas2642 said:
You know, when you talk to people on adcoms, you really find out that GPA and mcats are just factors that get you an interview-- they tell schools whether or not you are likely to be able to do the work, not what kind of doctor you are going to be.

One interviewer told me that mcat and gpa weigh no more than 50% of a person's application. In short, they want the whole package. They want to make sure that you know what you're getting into, that you're dedicated to patients, that you can relate and work well with other people, and that you will eventually become an asset to the medical community.

In the end, no one really cares about your gpa or your mcat score. How many times have you asked your doctor what his stats were? The quantitative data on your application tells you nothing about how well you will do in your clinical years, and let's face it, those are the really important years in medical school that help determine what kind of residency you will get matched to.

In short, your gpa is fine. 3.5 and a 30 on the mcat shows you can handle medical school, and you're well within that range. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine.

He has a 3.38. Given that he is gunning for a top-10, I'd say the GPA might be a bit of a liability. Nothing can be done to change it, so just focus on putting together a good application and don't expect that Harvard will necessarily be calling.

PhotoMD said:
He has a 3.38. Given that he is gunning for a top-10, I'd say the GPA might be a bit of a liability. Nothing can be done to change it, so just focus on putting together a good application and don't expect that Harvard will necessarily be calling.

I never said i was gunning for a top 10... top 50 more like it.

thanks for all of your kind thoughts, i agree that gpa and mcat arent everything, and that if i do get passed any purely numbers screening process i'll do just fine...

but now my real question is HOW do i let adcoms know about what i've experienced??? is this something that should be simply mentioned in my PS, concentrated on, brought up in essays, or maybe should i put down disadvantaged? or should i just leave this subject alone? thanks again

Schools don't look at your gpa and think, what would usnews think, for the most part at least. Its a number they use to determine if you'd succeed in med school. If you think you're particular number misrepresents your abilities then you sure as hell should tell them why. Otherwise you're just another kid with a 3.38 gpa, and I hate to say it, but that ain't to uncommon when it comes to med schoool applicants. As to how you go about tellin the adcom, i'm not totally sure. Its been my experience that there really isn't anywhere in the amcas bs that it's appropriate while most of the secondaries I've filled out have a spot for this stuff. For instance, I'm currently working on my autobio for vandy, which has a 2000 word limit, which I find considerable if you've got a story to tell. Unfortunately Vandy screens secondary offers, though many schools don't. Being that Katrina messed up your house, as it did mine, you must be in one of 3 states, la, ms, or al. If youre in ms like me you're state school is far from the top 50. La might be a little better, but uab in ala is a very reputable school and likely to give you extra consideration as a resident. Im guessing, though, that you're in mississippi. (EDIT) just read your location...

tanksljp said:
Schools don't look at your gpa and think, what would usnews think, for the most part at least. Its a number they use to determine if you'd succeed in med school. If you think you're particular number misrepresents your abilities then you sure as hell should tell them why. Otherwise you're just another kid with a 3.38 gpa, and I hate to say it, but that ain't to uncommon when it comes to med schoool applicants. As to how you go about tellin the adcom, i'm not totally sure. Its been my experience that there really isn't anywhere in the amcas bs that it's appropriate while most of the secondaries I've filled out have a spot for this stuff. For instance, I'm currently working on my autobio for vandy, which has a 2000 word limit, which I find considerable if you've got a story to tell. Unfortunately Vandy screens secondary offers, though many schools don't. Being that Katrina messed up your house, as it did mine, you must be in one of 3 states, la, ms, or al. If youre in ms like me you're state school is far from the top 50. La might be a little better, but uab in ala is a very reputable school and likely to give you extra consideration as a resident. Im guessing, though, that you're in mississippi. (EDIT) just read your location...

yea, i figured id be able to squeeze it in somewhere on most secondaries, but its getting those secondaries that might be a problem... i'd like to somehow get the info to them beforehand though... uggh, disadvantaged status seems like the easiest way, but i'm really iffy about that. not that i dont think i qualify, just that id fear it would open up a can of worms id rather have closed, interviewers might not like me being a clean cut caucasian in a suit, or that i went to private school (regardless of me going fully on scholarships and financial aid). i wouldnt want it to hurt my chances, and ive never gotten a definite answer yes or no regarding that question.

Doc.Holliday said:
uggh, disadvantaged status seems like the easiest way... interviewers might not like me being a clean cut caucasian in a suit, or that i went to private school

being a "clean cut caucasian in a suit" definitely won't hurt you, but being from a private high school and then applying disadvantaged would bring up some questions from interviewers. The term disadvantaged is relevant -- you worked to help pay for your house, but others have to work to help pay for food.

06applicant said:
being a "clean cut caucasian in a suit" definitely won't hurt you, but being from a private high school and then applying disadvantaged would bring up some questions from interviewers. The term disadvantaged is relevant -- you worked to help pay for your house, but others have to work to help pay for food.

i helped and still help pay for food... but i see what youre saying, and its been said before... BUT then why is it even an option? for the 5 fully homeless people applying to medical school? if disadvantaged by their definition is that extreme, then how many applicants are really qualified to both apply to medical school, and mark down disadvantaged? where is the line between disadvantaged and not?

Doc.Holliday said:
i helped and still help pay for food... but i see what youre saying, and its been said before... BUT then why is it even an option? for the 5 fully homeless people applying to medical school? if disadvantaged by their definition is that extreme, then how many applicants are really qualified to both apply to medical school, and mark down disadvantaged? where is the line between disadvantaged and not?

it sounds like youre on the disadvantaged side of the line...perhaps talk to an advisor at your school about this.

Doc.Holliday said:
so would you say somehow letting schools know about my situation is a good idea? and if so what way would be most tasteful?

ur original post would be a great PS...of course ud have to use better words..but da idea is there.....

im sure ur gonna be fine..just let all da schools know ur situation

Doc.Holliday said:

I do know that NYU offers the opportunity on your secondary for you to "explain" why you got low grades. Most other schools I've applied to have essay parts to their secondary. See if you can work your situation into those.