35 and over going to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumozmom

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many oldies but goodies :clap: r out there?

please share and info/advise/pathforward/stats that you can?

thnx
:p

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 35 y.o. and have been just accepted into San Antonio. My stats are 3.6/3.4 sci (after fall 05 semester) and 19 AS DAT.

I returned to school after being laid off from my job in telecommunications.

sumozmom said:

thnx

I'm 31 right now, and I probably will not start dental school untill I'm 34 or 35. I'm a 3.00ish student. ...Glad to hear I'm not the only oldie here. :cool: :smuggrin: :laugh: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
jr8047 said:
I'm 35 y.o. and have been just accepted into San Antonio. My stats are 3.6/3.4 sci (after fall 05 semester) and 19 AS DAT.

I returned to school after being laid off from my job in telecommunications.
wow nice stats---congrats!
what made u decide dental?

RICEman said:
I'm 31 right now, and I probably will not start dental school untill I'm 34 or 35. I'm a 3.00ish student. ...Glad to hear I'm not the only oldie here. :cool: :smuggrin: :laugh: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
ya i'm 37 now and will brob start when i'm 40 UUGGGHHHHHH! :(

sumozmom said:
I think our school has a 43 year old in first year right now

what school is that?

sumozmom said:

thnx
I am 37 and changing my career. I have acceptances from most of the schools I applied (even ivy league). My stats are 4.0/4.0 and DAT AA/TS - 23/24. Let me very clear about age, for most of the schools it is not a factor at all. In reality, you will find that you may have some advantage over other candidates as you are more mature and have more real life experience. Dental Schools respect that. BTW, I haven't decided yet where I will be going.

I wish you good luck.

sumozmom said:
wow nice stats---congrats!
what made u decide dental?

thank you, but i have to decline my offer because i have a child in an arts magnet school that earned her seat. i can't ask her to move and give it up, so i am hoping baylor gives me an offer.

why dentistry? patient care but without having to do a residency, sole proprietorship, scrubs and tennis shoes everyday, salary, higher education...

good luck to you-i hear nevada has a school that greatly favors in state applicants.

sailinx said:
I am 37 and changing my career. I have acceptances from most of the schools I applied too (even ivy league). My stats are 4.0/4.0 and DAT AA/TS - 23/24. Let me very clear about age, for most of the schools it is not a factor at all. In reality, you will find that you may have some advantage over other candidates as you are more mature and have more real life experience. Dental Schools respect that. I wish you good luck.

with those stats you could be 100 yo and get in.

sumozmom said:

1. you will be 40 anyways :oops:

2. average age of retirement for dentists is 60-68, so you will have 20+ years of practice still to do :D

so where ru from and where are u going to d-school?

Members don't see this ad :)
psiyung said:

I know that San Antonio graduated somebody that was 52 y.o. Creighton (Omaha) just graduated somebody in their early 50's as well. Age is not a big deal. I am 31 (32 when school starts) and age never, ever, seemed to be a detriment to getting interviews or getting acceptances. You just need to have the stats, the volunteering, and the charisma -- just like every other good candidate.

I will say that dentistry appears to be the best kept secret that was recently let out of the bag as the applicants this year seem to be extremely strong with regards to stats, especially DAT scores. I predict it will just keep getting more competitive, in fact, I am glad I don't have to compete next year. You're going to have to kick some serious butt in your pre-dental studies and DAT.

i am a 2nd year and one of our classmates is 39 now. there is a fellow student in 1st years who is 45+.

i myself am over 30. welcome to dentistry.

PERFECT3435 said:
i am a 2nd year and one of our classmates is 39 now. there is a fellow student in 1st years who is 45+.

i myself am over 30. welcome to dentistry.
I should be done by 45

I am 35, and applied this cycle. I had a career before, so this will be my second life ;-) I am in starting Fall of 06. I think age was an advantage in some of my interviews for sure.

If you want it, just do it! Don't sit around and THINK about it.

Wayawa said:
I am 35, and applied this cycle. I had a career before, so this will be my second life ;-) I am in starting Fall of 06. I think age was an advantage in some of my interviews for sure.

so will u specialize later?

which school are u gonna pick and why? thnx!

I'm 33 and am ready to be an ex web designer. It's definitely a challenge taking all the required courses, working full-time, having a family, and going through the application process all at the same time. Fortunately, I'm much more able to prioritize life now than when I was in my early twenties.
Age is a wierd thing in during interviews. It's one of those things that not SUPPOSED to affect your application, but clearly does. Every single interviewer that I've spent time with has asked me about why I decided to make a career change and most have asked me why now. These questions are INCREDIBLE opportunities to talk about your individual story and show how you've changed since undergrad.
This cycle was my 2nd time applying, but after all the work I recieved a December acceptance to my top choice school (UNC). I think applying at our age clearly shows persistance, dedication, and maturity...all very desirable character traits for dental students. Did my age have anything to do with my acceptance? I can't say for sure, but I know it certainly allowed me the opportunity to set myself apart from the majority of interviewees.

Good luck with your journey!

PB

Don't worry you're not alone. I'm currently 31, married, and attending SC. I could say that half our class is married and many in their 28s-30something. A career change at this stage of our life is reasonable, In my case, I wish to be in a clinical setting, help people, and retire early; I was perfectly aware my crappy research associate job would've never allow me to do that. Good luck to you..

what did unc say about you GPA - mine is similar- How long did it take you to take you pre-recs?

did u start a few yrs ago?

packbacker vbmenu_register("postmenu_3173317", true);
100+ Posts

icon1.gif

I'm 33 and am ready to be an ex web designer. It's definitely a challenge taking all the required courses, working full-time, having a family, and going through the application process all at the same time. Fortunately, I'm much more able to prioritize life now than when I was in my early twenties.
Age is a wierd thing in during interviews. It's one of those things that not SUPPOSED to affect your application, but clearly does. Every single interviewer that I've spent time with has asked me about why I decided to make a career change and most have asked me why now. These questions are INCREDIBLE opportunities to talk about your individual story and show how you've changed since undergrad.
This cycle was my 2nd time applying, but after all the work I recieved a December acceptance to my top choice school (UNC). I think applying at our age clearly shows persistance, dedication, and maturity...all very desirable character traits for dental students. Did my age have anything to do with my acceptance? I can't say for sure, but I know it certainly allowed me the opportunity to set myself apart from the majority of interviewees.

Good luck with your journey!

PB
2nd DAT: 20AA/19TS/19PAT
1st DAT: 19AA/18TS/17PAT
AADSAS APPLIED DATE: July 5
Applied: UNC, UMD, Louisville, Nova, Creighton, Marquette
Interviews: UNC
Accepted: UNC (attending)

My undergrad GPA is not competitive, however a solid Graduate GPA and a good explaination of the discrepency between ugrad and grad seemed to be sufficient for my circumstances. I also have a 4.0 in all the prereqs I've taken since starting this process. Obviously this varies a great deal from school to school. For instance, I've already recieved rejections (without interview) from NOVA and Marquette. As for the prereqs, I was fortunate to only need 4 additional classes.

I started thinking seriously about a career change in the summer of 2003, took the DAT for the 1st time in April of 2004 (19AA/18TS/17PA) and applied for last year's cycle. I applied to some schools that I honestly didn't have a chance at (Colorado, OSU) and recieved 1 interview (at UNC). I was not offered a seat, so I immediately set up appointments to visit with the dean of admissions at UNC and called the out of state admissions officers. I recieved some excellent feedback (especially from Dr Guckes at UNC). I retook the DAT in March 2005 (20AA/19TS/19PA), started volunteering at the local dental student run free clinic in the summer, and took microbiology in the fall (all while working 40+ hours a week).

In my opinion, I think it was KEY to be able to say EXACTLY what I've done since last year to improve my application. That is the biggest piece of advice that I can give reapplicants. Anyway, the stars aligned as I interviewed on Nov19 at UNC and was offered a seat on Dec 7! It has been quite a long and sometimes difficult journey since summer 2003, but absolutely worth it.

sumozmom said:
what did unc say about you GPA - mine is similar- How long did it take you to take you pre-recs?

did u start a few yrs ago?

packbacker vbmenu_register("postmenu_3173317", true);
100+ Posts

packbacker said:
My undergrad GPA is not competitive, however a solid Graduate GPA and a good explaination of the discrepency between ugrad and grad seemed to be sufficient for my circumstances. I also have a 4.0 in all the prereqs I've taken since starting this process. Obviously this varies a great deal from school to school. For instance, I've already recieved rejections (without interview) from NOVA and Marquette. As for the prereqs, I was fortunate to only need 4 additional classes.

I started thinking seriously about a career change in the summer of 2003, took the DAT for the 1st time in April of 2004 (19AA/18TS/17PA) and applied for last year's cycle. I applied to some schools that I honestly didn't have a chance at (Colorado, OSU) and recieved 1 interview (at UNC). I was not offered a seat, so I immediately set up appointments to visit with the dean of admissions at UNC and called the out of state admissions officers. I recieved some excellent feedback (especially from Dr Guckes at UNC). I retook the DAT in March 2005 (20AA/19TS/19PA), started volunteering at the local dental student run free clinic in the summer, and took microbiology in the fall (all while working 40+ hours a week).

In my opinion, I think it was KEY to be able to say EXACTLY what I've done since last year to improve my application. That is the biggest piece of advice that I can give reapplicants. Anyway, the stars aligned as I interviewed on Nov19 at UNC and was offered a seat on Dec 7! It has been quite a long and sometimes difficult journey since summer 2003, but absolutely worth it.
what did u get ur graduate dgr in?

sumozmom said:
what did u get ur graduate dgr in?

Chemical Engineering. For some reason I enjoyed torture back then. :)

There are a few people in my class in their 40's and many in their 30's. You will not be alone.

Wayawa said:

what kinda work did u do before?

I am so glad to have found this thread.. I am 28 married and have a 2 year old daughter.. I work part time and thinking to go back to D-school..I already have a BS in biochemistry with a horrible GPA and a graduate degree in Health promotion with a 3.7 GPA.. I am just so discouraged to apply.. The DAT seems so hard to prepare for.. I have already taken it few years ago and didn;t do too well.. But after seeing your thread, I have some hope now..

I was pleasantly surprised when I realized I wasn't the oldest in my class. In our class of 54, there are either 11 or 12 who are over the age of 30 and three of them are 38. Many of us have families/children and manage to have a balanced life between the rigorous coursework and our families. Good luck to all and to the last post ddsmom I would strongly encourage to take a leap of faith and try it once more. I know it's hard, but do your best, study hard and retake your DAT. I'm sure glad I took the chance and worked hard to get here. I'm very thankful to have been accepted to my top-choice school and I do remember reading this website and hoping and wishing and dreaming that someday I would be accepted. Dreams do come true if you put in the time and the effort :)

packbacker said:
Chemical Engineering. For some reason I enjoyed torture back then. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know dental school is going to be a rough 4 years, so all I've been thinking lately was 'gee, I wish I would've been a psych major or something easier for that first degree'. But, hey, no Pchem II in D-school...that's what I'm talkin about. :D

Pchem was no sweat. Second semester thermodynamics, however, was a major PITA. Way too theoretical for a true engineer. Honestly, I liked the principals behind chemical engineering, but got to the point where I hated the practice AND the lifestyle (or lack thereof).

mochafreak said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know dental school is going to be a rough 4 years, so all I've been thinking lately was 'gee, I wish I would've been a psych major or something easier for that first degree'. But, hey, no Pchem II in D-school...that's what I'm talkin about. :D

packbacker said:
Pchem was no sweat. Second semester thermodynamics, however, was a major PITA. Way too theoretical for a true engineer. Honestly, I liked the principals behind chemical engineering, but got to the point where I hated the practice AND the lifestyle (or lack thereof).

Well, Pchem I was alright, Pchem II sucked due to the prof. My least favorite was process dynamics and control though. After the second hourly (class avg = 23) our prof. said she'd fail all of us and we'd end up in the summer section that was an electrical engineering section...needless to say we all studied a bit harder after that. :laugh: Anyhow, I liked the theory a bit, but hated the practice and lifestyle from the beginning. I'm so happy that "Office Space" isn't an accurate depiction of my life anymore. :horns:

OK, no more thread hijacking...I'll be 32 when I start, btw :thumbup:

Hi,

I will be 31 when I start dental school and have 3 y.o. and 9 month old baby. I also have a friend at UT Houston who has two kids and she is 36.

I used to work for Shell, but being a dentist was my childhood dream that I never got to fulfill. I wanted to tell my kids to dream without feeling guilty.

Any how, hey jr8047, YOU CANNOT TURN THAT OFFER DOWN!!!! You work so hard!!! Have you looked into magnet schools in SA???? I hope that Baylor will offer you a seat! They will...

Tweety

jr8047 said:
thank you, but i have to decline my offer because i have a child in an arts magnet school that earned her seat. i can't ask her to move and give it up, so i am hoping baylor gives me an offer.

why dentistry? patient care but without having to do a residency, sole proprietorship, scrubs and tennis shoes everyday, salary, higher education...

good luck to you-i hear nevada has a school that greatly favors in state applicants.

DDSmom said:
I am so glad to have found this thread.. I am 28 married and have a 2 year old daughter.. I work part time and thinking to go back to D-school..I already have a BS in biochemistry with a horrible GPA and a graduate degree in Health promotion with a 3.7 GPA.. I am just so discouraged to apply.. The DAT seems so hard to prepare for.. I have already taken it few years ago and didn;t do too well.. But after seeing your thread, I have some hope now..
do what your name says DDSmom!
go for it - i'm 37 and still taking pre-recs to get into d-school in 2 yrs...I have 9 yr old twin girls....
Dare to dream your dream and have it be your life!

tweety0805 said:
Hi,

I will be 31 when I start dental school and have 3 y.o. and 9 month old baby. I also have a friend at UT Houston who has two kids and she is 36.

I used to work for Shell, but being a dentist was my childhood dream that I never got to fulfill. I wanted to tell my kids to dream without feeling guilty.

Any how, hey jr8047, YOU CANNOT TURN THAT OFFER DOWN!!!! You work so hard!!! Have you looked into magnet schools in SA???? I hope that Baylor will offer you a seat! They will...

Tweety

I know it is very agonizing! I am looking at ALL options right now, so who knows. Also, I just got an interview offer at Houston and it is only 3.5 hours away! Wouldn't it be nice to be in the same school! I will keep you posted. Once more congrats on your acceptance. I know this is vain but won't it be cool to be called "Dr"!?

I am 33 years old and have a BS in Aeronautical Studies. I am enrolling in my first science course tomm at the local community college in order to meet the pre req chem class at the University. I haven't had any science courses at all and think I might have my hands full. I have a wife , 2 year old and a baby girl due in the beginning of January. I have been a pilot for a major airline flying around four days a week thinking about being a dentist. This is a serious career change for me and I am going to give it a shot. If the aviation industry doesn't turn around as quickly as I would like, I will have all the prereqs finished and a backup plan in place. It might take me 2 years but I just might need it!

I do enjoy this forum. Reading everyones achievements and struggles reminds me of when I was in school and how nothing was more important than my career. Now of course I know whats important to me and I'm going to just go with it and see what happens. Part of me wants to be motivated again and to see if I could do it.

What the hell am I doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

psiyung said:

There's a couple of students here at Penn (and I'm not referencing any PASS students) that are in their mid to late 30's. It's never too late to make the switch! :thumbup:

35+ AND GOING TO DENTAL SCHOOL? I THINK THAT'S AWESOME!!

I'm 22 and finally decided to become a dentist, I feel like I wasted time bickering what I should do with my life and taking classes here and there. I worried about graduating late, but now I don't feel bad about it.

Again, to those who are 35+ or whatever, DO IT!!! AND THE BEST OF LUCK AND SUCCESS! IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!

(sorry, I know cap letters are considered yelling in online lingo, but whatever, get over it, I'm just trying to prove a point :D )

bpenly said:
I know that San Antonio graduated somebody that was 52 y.o. Creighton (Omaha) just graduated somebody in their early 50's as well. Age is not a big deal. I am 31 (32 when school starts) and age never, ever, seemed to be a detriment to getting interviews or getting acceptances. You just need to have the stats, the volunteering, and the charisma -- just like every other good candidate.

I will say that dentistry appears to be the best kept secret that was recently let out of the bag as the applicants this year seem to be extremely strong with regards to stats, especially DAT scores. I predict it will just keep getting more competitive, in fact, I am glad I don't have to compete next year. You're going to have to kick some serious butt in your pre-dental studies and DAT.

hey , just wondering, what kind of volunteer work did u do? Did u just shadow, or did u do any work at any dental labs or clinics?

ProtoNYC said:

I'm 22 and finally decided to become a dentist, I feel like I wasted time bickering what I should do with my life and taking classes here and there. I worried about graduating late, but now I don't feel bad about it.

Again, to those who are 35+ or whatever, DO IT!!! AND THE BEST OF LUCK AND SUCCESS! IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!

(sorry, I know cap letters are considered yelling in online lingo, but whatever, get over it, I'm just trying to prove a point :D )

Thank you for the encouragement. As for being 22--you're still a baby! ;)

ProtoNYC said:

Step aside, kids...

I'm 42 and I'm switching careers. I'll do what I should have done many years ago, and finally got the courage (a.k.a. cojones - pronounced "co-HO-nays" for those of you who don't "habla").

I am currently in the telecom business (have been for the past 15 years or so). I have taken all the courses necessary to take tha DAT (except Org. Chem II). I am hoping to get in Dental School in 2007. This means I'd get out of Dental School by 2011, which would mean I'd be 47 or so.

Very exciting times ahead, no doubt. Scary and exciting at the same time.

Reasons for going to Dental School?
a) Get to improve the quality of life of folks, and you get to see the fruit of your labor right away. This is what I call instant gratification (and the patient too, of course!).

b) You get to be your own boss - with all the pros and cons that this brings. But at least your future is in YOUR hands, not in the hands of a corporate machine that you have no control over.

c) Salary? Not too bad from what I've read and seen. Depends on the skills you develop and how you treat your patients. I think that a fair day's work deserves a fair day's pay, plus the satisfaction of doing something good for people that need your help.

d) I've been told that Dentists get to enjoy their family life a lot more than any other health profession out there. I'm not sure if this is an absolute true statement, but I'm willing to find out.... :)

Good luck to you all. I'll be taking the DAT in March or April of 2006. Hope it isn't as bad as I've heard it is.

Pelotari said:
Step aside, kids...

I'm 42 and I'm switching careers. I'll do what I should have done many years ago, and finally got the courage (a.k.a. cojones - pronounced "co-HO-nays" for those of you who don't "habla").

I am currently in the telecom business (have been for the past 15 years or so). I have taken all the courses necessary to take tha DAT (except Org. Chem II). I am hoping to get in Dental School in 2007. This means I'd get out of Dental School by 2011, which would mean I'd be 47 or so.

a) Get to improve the quality of life of folks, and you get to see the fruit of your labor right away. This is what I call instant gratification (and the patient too, of course!).

b) You get to be your own boss - with all the pros and cons that this brings. But at least your future is in YOUR hands, not in the hands of a corporate machine that you have no control over.

c) Salary? Not too bad from what I've read and seen. Depends on the skills you develop and how you treat your patients. I think that a fair day's work deserves a fair day's pay, plus the satisfaction of doing something good for people that need your help.

d) I've been told that Dentists get to enjoy their family life a lot more than any other health profession out there. I'm not sure if this is an absolute true statement, but I'm willing to find out.... :)

Good luck to you all. I'll be taking the DAT in March or April of 2006. Hope it isn't as bad as I've heard it is.

Good luck to you and congrats on the career change. I too was in telecom (osp engineer) for 13 years before pursuing dentistry.
Also, I too live in Texas. Texas schools are kind to their in-state applicants! Once more-best of luck to you and don't fret the DAT;it's not that bad.

I can't say that I will be 35+. I will be 30 when I start school this fall. I just remembered something that happened at my interview at Pitt. I had just finished my interview and was back in the auditorium waiting for everyone else to be done with theirs. I was sitting reading the material in my folder and noticed that a guy that was with the Army recruiter was looking at me. I gave him the "What's up?" look and he asked me "Is this a career change?" I told him that I guess it was even though I don't call what I do a career (even though people do make it a career). It made me realize that I look older than I feel inside. I probably stick out like a sore thumb sitting around kids that are 21, 22 years old. However I think the fact that I am older helped me on my application. I have a wife and kids. While I have worked full time I have gone to school full and part time. I have shadowed and have done some service hours and my wife and kids still like me. I think d-school will be a break from the schedule that I now have. I know it will be difficult but I know that I am ready for it.

Pelotari said:
Step aside, kids...

great to here that there are aloth more oldies but goodies here.

What are you working at now? r u still F/T?
Will u go to any school , if for what ever reason u don't get into schools in TX?
I'm a netwrk ops engineer-37- still have 2yrs of pre-recs-

jr8047 said:
Good luck to you and congrats on the career change. I too was in telecom (osp engineer) for 13 years before pursuing dentistry.
Also, I too live in Texas. Texas schools are kind to their in-state applicants! Once more-best of luck to you and don't fret the DAT;it's not that bad.
why dentistry from ops

( i did the same)

titan305 said:
I am 33 years old and have a BS in Aeronautical Studies. I am enrolling in my first science course tomm at the local community college in order to meet the pre req chem class at the University. I haven't had any science courses at all and think I might have my hands full. I have a wife , 2 year old and a baby girl due in the beginning of January. I have been a pilot for a major airline flying around four days a week thinking about being a dentist. This is a serious career change for me and I am going to give it a shot. If the aviation industry doesn't turn around as quickly as I would like, I will have all the prereqs finished and a backup plan in place. It might take me 2 years but I just might need it!

I do enjoy this forum. Reading everyones achievements and struggles reminds me of when I was in school and how nothing was more important than my career. Now of course I know whats important to me and I'm going to just go with it and see what happens. Part of me wants to be motivated again and to see if I could do it.

titan305, i'm in the same boat. i can totally understand your reasons for looking at an alternative industry. i too am returning to school to finish my pre reqs and putting the same determination into this that i did into aviation. i think that your maturity and background will stick out. i admire you for leaving a career that takes so much dedication to enter. keep me posted and let me know how you're coming along.

sumozmom said:
great to here that there are aloth more oldies but goodies here.

What are you working at now? r u still F/T?
Will u go to any school , if for what ever reason u don't get into schools in TX?
I'm a netwrk ops engineer-37- still have 2yrs of pre-recs-

I am still working Full Time and taking classes in the evenings at a Community College. This is the only thing I can do due to work. I know that adcoms want to see 4-year college pre-requisites, but it just simply isn't working out and right at this moment I cannot afford to quit my job and become a full time student. I'll just have to rock the DAT to wipe out any doubts in adcom's minds regarding any "Community College" stigmas.

My goal is to get accepted in any of the three schools in Texas. I'll have to move if needed. Regarding out-of-state schools, I don't know yet. At this stage in life I can't really be too picky - I'll go where they take me. So far and from what I've read, I may try Iowa, Creighton, and Arizona. We'll see.

Good luck in your studies. It's incredible how fast time flies by. I remember thinking it would be a LONG time before I could even start thinking about the DAT and filling out applications. Well, the time is only 6 months away!!!

Good luck to you. :thumbup:

Pelotari said:
I am still working Full Time and taking classes in the evenings at a Community College. This is the only thing I can do due to work. I know that adcoms want to see 4-year college pre-requisites, but it just simply isn't working out and right at this moment I cannot afford to quit my job and become a full time student. I'll just have to rock the DAT to wipe out any doubts in adcom's minds regarding any "Community College" stigmas.

My goal is to get accepted in any of the three schools in Texas. I'll have to move if needed. Regarding out-of-state schools, I don't know yet. At this stage in life I can't really be too picky - I'll go where they take me. So far and from what I've read, I may try Iowa, Creighton, and Arizona. We'll see.

Good luck in your studies. It's incredible how fast time flies by. I remember thinking it would be a LONG time before I could even start thinking about the DAT and filling out applications. Well, the time is only 6 months away!!!

Good luck to you. :thumbup:
how long have you been working on this path?

Wayawa said:

I'll be 35 when I apply in 2007 and done at 40 myself. Why do you think age was an advantage in your interviews?

titan305 said:

I'm also a 33 year old looking into Dentistry. I have 3 kids (5, 3, and 3 mo.) I have a Master's in music and I have been teaching in public schools for almost 7 years. I will be starting my pre-reqs this coming Monday (Physics) and of course...a bit apprehensive! This forum is wonderful because you sometimes feel alone in your desire to "dream"

Dr IWannaBe said:
I'm also a 33 year old looking into Dentistry. I have 3 kids (5, 3, and 3 mo.) I have a Master's in music and I have been teaching in public schools for almost 7 years. I will be starting my pre-reqs this coming Monday (Physics) and of course...a bit apprehensive! This forum is wonderful because you sometimes feel alone in your desire to "dream"

I still remember in Jan. 2003 when I took my first 2 pre-req classes (all come from a CC) and I was anxious and nervous of the future. I took a leap of faith, quit a great job which I enjoyed without any guarantees. I turned 34 a couple of weeks into starting d-school and also have 3 children. I can totally relate and I can tell you I'm very glad to be here and don't have any regrets. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I was accepted to 4 very respectable schools and I feel confident that age was (in my opinion) an advantage in my situation. Good luck, don't give up and keep on "dreaming"! :thumbup: