Master Promissory Note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATORade

Retired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if signing a master promissory note at one school is equal to official enrollment? ie, Once you sign a master promissory note at one school are you required to drop your other waitlists?

Members don't see this ad.

i sure hope not! i need to check up on this too...

probably your best bet is to talk to the financial aid office of whatever school you're considering.

Jaseroque said:
i sure hope not! i need to check up on this too...

probably your best bet is to talk to the financial aid office of whatever school you're considering.

Check out this post in the FA forum: here

I'm planning on calling the school in the morning. Last time I spoke to the admissions director at my waitlist school he said that any type of official enrollment at another school would result in my removal from the waitlist. I never knew that signing a master promissory note was an example of official enrollment. I hope I didn't just screw myself. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
The financial aid office at Georgetown said it would not be a problem. She said to go online and cancel the MPN and call the school and tell them to cancel it. She said if the school was good, they would just forward all the paperwork to Georgetown, but she said don't rely on this happening, and just go through the whole MPN process again from scratch.

phew! i also called NYMC and they said it would not be a problem to cancel accepted loans as long as the admissions office has received your official withdrawal notice.

I signed a promissary note for one school and just withdrew to go to a differnt school. It was no big deal. I actually called the lender, and they just canceled the loan.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel much better now. :thumbup:

bumping...

I actually have some Q's about the master promissory note (MPN) and stafford loans. Should I fill out a request for a stafford loan now, even though I'm not sure whether I'll be taking out loans? Or should I wait till I get fin aid packages from schools and then decide?

Some basic questions:

How do you decide on a "lender"? Is this just a bank that is local to your med school? Do banks/lenders actually have diff deals and should I be doing research into this?

Once you fill out an MPN and select a lender, are you obligated to borrow from them? Is there a cancellation fee?

Can you send the same MPN to all your schools?

Is this what a generic MPN looks like?
http://www.tgslc.org/pdf/staf_mpn.pdf

If someone who's gone through this process could help, that'd be great. thanks!