Thoughts on Loyola Stritch part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope it's not false hope either...good luck!!

I don't know anything about their process but just thought I'd share what I do know...seeing as I was in a similar situation I know how nerve racking it is!

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone called in to confirm that there is waitlist movement this week? its hard having hope when it seems that everyone is picking loyola when they get off the waitlists. i dont know

Vitriol said:
has anyone called in to confirm that there is waitlist movement this week? its hard having hope when it seems that everyone is picking loyola when they get off the waitlists. i dont know
Yeah, I'm not feeling extremely hopeful either...

Members don't see this ad :)
christi5784 said:
Yeah, I'm not feeling extremely hopeful either...

but your on the waitlist at UIC right? that shoudl be some hope, this is my only illinois school :(

if i get in, im going to throw a party so that we can meet each other before classes starts. so let me in!!!

:)

Vitriol said:
but your on the waitlist at UIC right? that shoudl be some hope, this is my only illinois school :(

if i get in, im going to throw a party so that we can meet each other before classes starts. so let me in!!!

:)
I guess I'm a brat to be complaining. I got accepted at SIU and VCU, can't decide between the two, but would prefer to go to either UIC or Loyola (Loyola is my number one).

i called into the admissions office today, and i was told that "we see varying movement each week, we havent seen much this week, but only time will tell"

this false hope seems to be turning into a reality :(

Here's to hopin' for a spot at Loyola...

Has anyone been monitoring the wait list movement?? It seems like it has been slow...

Has it been like this in the past??

Prevalent said:
Has anyone been monitoring the wait list movement?? It seems like it has been slow...

Has it been like this in the past??

i think people were saying that last year it didn't really start kicking up til the second week of june...but who knows...each school's list is dependent on other schools' lists and how fast everyone turns down spots and how fast schools act on openings in their class....way too many variables... :eek:

I am holding a Loyola spot, and still waiting to hear from UCLA/Drew. I imagine there are a good number of people that are still waiting to hear from other schools, so the "domino effect" may take a while to trickle down. Be patient, there is still going to be movement I predict.

Thanks -- That's comforting. I just really want to be at Loyola! :love:

I leave monday for the World Cup - 1 month in germany partying and going to games b / f med school starts will be a nice break

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

i hope some of you loyolans / strichians are soccer fans

Oh I am for sure. Have been rooting for Brazil since I was born.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got into loyola!! Dr. Muraskas just called me and offered me a spot. Keep hope alive guys, they are still pulling people off of the waitlist!!!!

I got accepted yesterday (6/5) as well. Dr. Muraskas called me at 4:25. I was going to a 4:30 mass, and as I was just kneeling down to say a prayer that I may get accepted my phone vibrated. I ran out of church and answered the phone. This was the happiest day of my life! I went back into church, a little late, for the rest of the mass. It was as if God instantly was answering my prayer. I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!

Everyone still on the waitlist do not give up, I bet there will still be some more movement.

This is a dream come true. If anyone on the waitlist has any more specific question to ask, go a head. I knew how hard it was to be on the waitlist not knowing anything.

By the way, I was not told I had to make a choice within a specific date because I accepted right away on the phone. However, I was told I would get something in the mail in a few days, which probably will have a deadline. I will let you guys know, so that maybe a date you all can look for as possibly having more movement.

Congratulations on getting in! You must be so excited -- I can only imagine! Now...

Let me in!!!! I've been waiting forever!!! I want to go to Loyola!

Congrats to all the new people that got in off the waitlist! I just put in an application for an apartment in Forest Park (site unseen from CA). Can anybody familiar with the area tell me about the 7400 block of W. Madison? The place looks great and I am even more excited!

Flopotomist said:
Congrats to all the new people that got in off the waitlist! I just put in an application for an apartment in Forest Park (site unseen from CA). Can anybody familiar with the area tell me about the 7400 block of W. Madison? The place looks great and I am even more excited!

The stretch of Madison (between Harlem and DesPlaines) you're moving to it essentially downtown Forest Park. Lots of cute shops, decent (mostly Italian) restauraunts, and local (mostly faux-Irish) pubs. I can't vouch for your place, but I think you'll be very happy with the location. I was just down the street for these first two years and I really liked it.

LaurieB said:
The stretch of Madison (between Harlem and DesPlaines) you're moving to it essentially downtown Forest Park. Lots of cute shops, decent (mostly Italian) restauraunts, and local (mostly faux-Irish) pubs. I can't vouch for your place, but I think you'll be very happy with the location. I was just down the street for these first two years and I really liked it.

and shanahan's! one of my favorite restaurants in forest park - it's an irish bar with fantastic cajun food (weird, but it works - the owners are originally from new orleans and brought their cooking style with them). definitely some excellent gumbo...great for chilly chicago winters. :D

When ever I see this thread that Lilo and Stitch movie comes to mine. :spam:

Back to the orginial statement of this post:

I am considering applying for Loyola, however, being that I am not Christian I am a little concerned about such a religiously grounded school.

I like their commitment to empathy and compassion and that really interests me in the school, however, I would not want my education laced with references to Christian spiritual figures. I have gone to Catholic schools before, and not had it be a problem because religious discussion was not included in coursework.

Can anyone currently taking classes here give me their opinions on the school and how tightly they intertwine religious doctrine with their curriculum?

jbrice1639 said:
and shanahan's! one of my favorite restaurants in forest park - it's an irish bar with fantastic cajun food (weird, but it works - the owners are originally from new orleans and brought their cooking style with them). definitely some excellent gumbo...great for chilly chicago winters. :D
I am getting SO excited to explore this new area. I did a search on google, and it looks like the blue line will be within walking distance of my place (I think) If my place is on Madison between Harlem and DesPlaines - aren't I pretty close to the end of the blue line? On the map it looks like it - but I have no concept of how large the distances are between those two streets.

I am getting really excited. Really really excited.

Flopotomist said:
I am getting SO excited to explore this new area. I did a search on google, and it looks like the blue line will be within walking distance of my place (I think) If my place is on Madison between Harlem and DesPlaines - aren't I pretty close to the end of the blue line? On the map it looks like it - but I have no concept of how large the distances are between those two streets.

I am getting really excited. Really really excited.

yeah, you will be just a short walk from the blue line forest park stop (end of the line)...easy walk, depending on how far from des plaines you are. i like the blue line, especially since it can get you to chicago but also if you ride it to the far end it'll end at o'hare so its easy to get to the airport.

and to thes_hunter:
i have liked the religious perspective on medicine at loyola. you don't have to be catholic (or even christian in the more general sense) to appreciate what they have to say. sure, there might be a couple instances when you roll your eyes if you don't want to hear what they say....as an example, loyola puts importance on service to the poor. they cite the Bible (no suprise): "For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me." - Matthew 25:35 & 36. Now in my opinion, you don't have to be a Christian to agree in the importance of service to the poor. I have friends in our class who do not share the same faith as I have...and they seem to have enjoyed the class. It is not a spiritually-unaccepting, oppressive environment. That may or may not help. Good luck with your decision.

With regards to the religious aspect - I am not a Christian, and was concerned about training in an overly religious school. I found though that the school tends to be Christian in the "good" sense of the word (eg service to others, acts of kindness, pursuit of knowledge etc) as opposed to the "bad" sense (eg harrassing you to join the religion, demonizing heathens, raising money for George Bush etc).

Just my observations.

I agree with brats and flop and I have been at Stritch for 2 years and am not religious. They push social justice at Loyola so if you don't buy into that, you may not love it. Also, there is an expectation that you will respect religion in people's lives, whether it is Catholisicm, Judaism, Islam, Hindu, etc. My experience at Loyola had only been positive and if anything, it has driven me to try to better understand faith and the role it plays in peoples lives.

My 2 cents!
Laurie

LaurieB said:
I agree with brats and flop and I have been at Stritch for 2 years and am not religious. They push social justice at Loyola so if you don't buy into that, you may not love it. Also, there is an expectation that you will respect religion in people's lives, whether it is Catholisicm, Judaism, Islam, Hindu, etc. My experience at Loyola had only been positive and if anything, it has driven me to try to better understand faith and the role it plays in peoples lives.

My 2 cents!
Laurie
I did my undergrad at Loyola and would agree with this 100%. Social justice, respect, and tolerance are major themes at the university, regardless of the individual school (undergrad, grad, med, etc).

Jonesie said:
I did my undergrad at Loyola and would agree with this 100%. Social justice, respect, and tolerance are major themes at the university, regardless of the individual school (undergrad, grad, med, etc).

Most excellent, I am all for social Justice. So it does sound like the kind of school for me. :D

for those still waiting to hear, those who got in last week have to send in their response by june 16th which means that there will probably be another wave the mon/tues after. keep the hope alive

hello everyone...this is my first post!!!
I will be a 1st year next year and I am in the process of finding an apt. I have found a place that looks good in the pictures online, but I am not sure if it is in a good area...it is in forest park on Jackson Blvd at Desplaines..Does anyone familar with the area know if this is a nice area(close to downtown forest park and school as well as safe etc.)? I am not at all familar with the area, Thanks for the help!!

SpelmanMD said:
hello everyone...this is my first post!!!
I will be a 1st year next year and I am in the process of finding an apt. I have found a place that looks good in the pictures online, but I am not sure if it is in a good area...it is in forest park on Jackson Blvd at Desplaines..Does anyone familar with the area know if this is a nice area(close to downtown forest park and school as well as safe etc.)? I am not at all familar with the area, Thanks for the help!!
I don't know about the area much, but we will be neighbors maybe - my place is on W. Madison at Des Plaines - and I haven't seen it yet except for pics.

to flop and spelman, yep, you're pretty close. jackson is about two blocks south of madison...and you're both off des plaines. both close to the blue line and very close to each other.

(and, as mentioned earlier, close to shanahan's... :laugh: i plan to spend many a cold evening studying over some gumbo anytime anyone wants to join me...)

I am on Lathrop near Madison which I think is close to both of you (Pretty much Des Plaines and Madison). I also know at least one more person living right down the street from me going to Loyola. Sounds we've got a neighborhood going. HaHa I laughed when I saw Shanahan's, what sounds like an Irish bar serving Creole, but I guess they do it pretty well.

clowden said:
I am on Lathrop near Madison which I think is close to both of you (Pretty much Des Plaines and Madison). I also know at least one more person living right down the street from me going to Loyola. Sounds we've got a neighborhood going. HaHa I laughed when I saw Shanahan's, what sounds like an Irish bar serving Creole, but I guess they do it pretty well.

haha, yeah, it is an irish bar. and a creole bar. definitely a unique combination. the owners moved up from new orleans and decided to open an irish bar, but they brought all their new orleans recipes with them. guinness and cajun food work really well together though :D

clowden said:
woo hoo... this is going to be a lot of fun! We can form a little mini-study group maybe (ugh - I just referred to forming a study group as fun - I am so ashamed).

my cousin is currently there and my uncle teaches there

they both love it.... dont know if that helps.

jbrice1639 said:
haha, yeah, it is an irish bar. and a creole bar. definitely a unique combination. the owners moved up from new orleans and decided to open an irish bar, but they brought all their new orleans recipes with them. guinness and cajun food work really well together though :D

:) When you first mentioned this I knew I'd have to try it! My boyfriend is really interested too-- we love these sort of unusual places.

I won't be in the neighborhood exactly, but I still want to be a neighbor! How about an extended neighborhood? My place is .9 miles from the northern tip of the huge forest preserve district about 25 min. south of Loyola, and it would be a great place to start off on a bike ride, or to come back to a bucket o' margaritas after a relaxing day hitting the trails. What d'ya say? Won't you all still be my neighbors? ;)

IDforMe said:
:) When you first mentioned this I knew I'd have to try it! My boyfriend is really interested too-- we love these sort of unusual places.

I won't be in the neighborhood exactly, but I still want to be a neighbor! How about an extended neighborhood? My place is .9 miles from the northern tip of the huge forest preserve district about 25 min. south of Loyola, and it would be a great place to start off on a bike ride, or to come back to a bucket o' margaritas after a relaxing day hitting the trails. What d'ya say? Won't you all still be my neighbors? ;)
sounds fun! Hmm.. and I think we should have an SDNers social gathering at this Shanahans place - sounds like a blast!

IDforMe said:
What d'ya say? Won't you all still be my neighbors? ;)

i'm all the way up on the north side of the city by wrigley field...so i'll be anyone's neighbor who will have me :D

Flopotomist said:
sounds fun! Hmm.. and I think we should have an SDNers social gathering at this Shanahans place - sounds like a blast!
jbrice1639 said:
i'm all the way up on the north side of the city by wrigley field...so i'll be anyone's neighbor who will have me :D

Thanks you guys. I know it sounds a little silly, but I have to admit I was somewhat worried that it would be harder to get involved with some of the fun non-school stuff if I didn't live in the same area. The way things worked out, it just wasn't possible for us to buy something big enough there.

Flop: I think that is a great idea. I can't wait to try the food!

jbrice: It seems you're in a similar situation in regards to location. I'll definitely have you for a neighbor. :)

Oh... and BTW, I'm entirely serious about the bike rides and margaritas. :thumbup: :D

IDforMe said:
Thanks you guys. I know it sounds a little silly, but I have to admit I was somewhat worried that it would be harder to get involved with some of the fun non-school stuff if I didn't live in the same area. The way things worked out, it just wasn't possible for us to buy something big enough there.

Flop: I think that is a great idea. I can't wait to try the food!

jbrice: It seems you're in a similar situation in regards to location. I'll definitely have you for a neighbor. :)

Oh... and BTW, I'm entirely serious about the bike rides and margaritas. :thumbup: :D
I am unfortunately selling all of my mountain bikes and road bike in order to finance my move to Chicago. I figured I wouldn't have much mountain biking opportunities in Chicago (uh.. it is so flat there!). I still will come out and be social though - Californians are used to commuting to visit anybody. lol.

OK - totally unrelated comment. I came home today to a thin envelope from Loyola and PANICKED. I thought for SURE the inside would say "Dear Flop, we have made a terrible mistake and accidentally accepted you - you were actually rejected" Actually had palpitations and everything. Yikes! It was just some financial aid letter saying "pay us on the first day of class or else".

Almost a month away!

Flopotomist said:
I am unfortunately selling all of my mountain bikes and road bike in order to finance my move to Chicago. I figured I wouldn't have much mountain biking opportunities in Chicago (uh.. it is so flat there!).

actually, wisconsin has a lot of good trails, being the state that has all its borders connected by bike paths. Also, there are a ton of good forest preserves around here to bike and they are pretty fun. right next to loyola is a good forest preserve as well as a couple towns over in darien where argonne national laboratory is located (they have a huge protected forest preserve which is open to the public)

Apparently there should be movement this week... good luck to all those waiting!! :luck:

Flopotomist said:
I am unfortunately selling all of my mountain bikes and road bike in order to finance my move to Chicago. I figured I wouldn't have much mountain biking opportunities in Chicago (uh.. it is so flat there!).

You are correct in that "mountain" biking is an oxymoron in IL. That said, there are still a number of places to go biking. A fair number of forest preserves in the greater Chicagoland area have single track and unpaved trails for biking and cross country skiing. An even greater number have paved trails. (Not quite as much fun in my opinion, though.) Either way, sorry to hear you're getting rid of the bikes. If you enjoy biking and can afford it, you might want to consider keeping one of them.

IDforMe said:
You are correct in that "mountain" biking is an oxymoron in IL. That said, there are still a number of places to go biking. A fair number of forest preserves in the greater Chicagoland area have single track and unpaved trails for biking and cross country skiing. An even greater number have paved trails. (Not quite as much fun in my opinion, though.) Either way, sorry to hear you're getting rid of the bikes. If you enjoy biking and can afford it, you might want to consider keeping one of them.
In order to save money, I am trying to get rid of all of my possessions that won't fit into my new car. I sold my old car (with the bike rack on it) so have no way to transport the bikes anyways.

I am downsizing from a house to an apartment, so I wouldn't even have room to store my bikes - plus I am going to be studying or hanging out with jbrice at shanahans, so won't have much time lol.

I just got a call from Loyola today -- and I'm in!

Can't wait to meet you all... I know Chicago pretty well and I'll be moving out there shortly!

Prevalent said:

Can't wait to meet you all... I know Chicago pretty well and I'll be moving out there shortly!

Congrats!! :D

Prevalent said:

Congrats!! Welcome to the club... now go sign in on the allo official class thread.

Flopotomist said:
In order to save money, I am trying to get rid of all of my possessions that won't fit into my new car. I sold my old car (with the bike rack on it) so have no way to transport the bikes anyways.

I am downsizing from a house to an apartment, so I wouldn't even have room to store my bikes - plus I am going to be studying or hanging out with jbrice at shanahans, so won't have much time lol.

Gottcha. I can sympathize with the downsizing. I can also see why you really want to make an excursion to IKEA. Fitting all of your worldly possesions into a car, after living in a house, is darn impressive! Before I started packing, I would have never thought it possible to accumulate so much stuff... and all within the last 5 years! I imagine the transition from a house to apt. is much, much worse though. <shudders> :scared: Hopefully, the next time we all have to go through this process we will be looking for something with MORE rather than LESS space. In the meantime, while packing, I'll be reevaluating the value of "things" and attempting to quash my apparently subconsious materialistic tendencies. ;) From now on, if I am spending $, it's going to have to be on intangibles-- like drinks at Shanahan's. It certainly beats having another massive garage sale in 4 years! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.