It is harder to get in Pharmacy school than Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tinman831 said:
Doesn't Xavier accept mostly under represented minorities?

I believe you have it somewhat backwards unless there is another Xavier. Xavier of New Orleans is a historically black school.

According to their statement on their pharmacy website it says
"For years, Xavier has enrolled more African Americans than any other college of pharmacy in the United States."

I have friends who transfered to Xavier as an undergrad and they are pissed that students with a lower gpa then theirs get into the pharmacy program. Also, I'm not sure if this is correct but the last i heard was that Xavier changed the rules and said you require a bachelors to apply to the pharmacy program if you are a transfer student. From the people that i know in the program, the classes are normally half black and and the other half asian.

http://www.xula.edu/pharmacy/cop-admissions.html

Members don't see this ad.

The reason it is harder to get into Vet school is just due to the fact that there arent many Vet schools in the US. A friend having taken the MCAT, DAT, and PCAT, said hands down the PCAT--pharm was easiest. She said there was no comparison, she did not even study and she is going to be starting pharm school in august. She said the DAT is just tricky the way they ask the question in regards to the other tests. The MCAT is all about endurance and not being worn out. It's truly not about how much info you know, but how you can decipher passages. Therefore saying this i would say Pharm school is hands down the easiest to get into.

Hmm this thread is very old but, since most of the people in this thread agree that getting into pharmacy school is easy. Which school did you friends apply to? I live in new york city and I know the schools here are very competitive. I have a 3.0 and I have no taken the Pcats yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Approximate statistics of interest:

Code:
        Med	Pharm	Dent	Vet	DO	Optom	Pod

# Sch	125	92	56	28	24	17	8
Appl.	37364	13722	7987	4453	8255	2585	696
Enroll	17004	8268	4618	2573	3308	1404	467
aap/enr	2.20	1.7	1.7	1.7	2.5	1.8	1.5
gpa	3.63	3.47	3.42	3.53	3.45	3.38	3.2
gpa s	3.56						3.0
gpa ns	3.70						3.3
AA			18.6				
PA			17.6

Dont mean to step on anyone's toes, but I had spoken to a couple of people who have been consistent in reaching the same conclusions.... Im not going to go into the details as that would be way too much typing and its 4am here, but to summarize is the following:

The hardest schools to get into are:

VET>Med (MD)> Dental > Med (DO)>Podiatry> Pharm

Yea, i know some of you are shocked, by dental being higher that Med (DO), but the only reason why it is harder to get into is because of the number of applicants applying to the program.

By Pharm is being last, it does not mean that its easy to get into (not trying to make a flame war here), but that it easier than med and dental since there is not as great # of applicants as med and dental..

Im going to bed..

what about the quality of the students????!?!!??!?!

there are way more avg students than brilliant students. you can't look at the # of applicants accepted/applied alone!

i was always under the impression that pharmacy was easier then dental...also factors for accepting students are important teh amount they value GPA vs. PCAT vs extracurriculars work internships etc etc

i dont think any of these can really be compared...harder? that comes down to the type of applicant...one person can handle all of these post graduate options with ease while another cannot...who knows

what about the quality of the students????!?!!??!?!

there are way more avg students than brilliant students. you can't look at the # of applicants accepted/applied alone!

Your right there are more average students than brillant. But if you have 5000 applicants vs. 2000 applicants, chances are you are gonna have more number "brilliant" students in the 5k applicant pool vs. 2k applicant pool...
And that just increases the competition, which means it makes it harder to get in...

Just like ecology... damn.. back to bio studying i go..

Sag

I'm a predent that did consider pharm for a short period of time. i dont think us predents should be on here trashing on pharm. because im pretty sure the premeds are trashing on us just the same. its whatever floats your boat. pharmacists dont just count pills. ive talked to people, and well pharmacists are everywhere nowadays. retail is what most people think of. but there are doctor consultants, research consultants, ambulatory pharmacists, and i even heard surgeons nowadays want a pharm in the OR with them. i'd hate for us on the predent forum to be ignorant about the people that may be our future colleagues in the professional world. its like how most people think dentists just clean teeth....when its primarily hygienists. or my parents that always said doctors have the easiest job, they just prescribe you cough medicine and send you home. haha. im not trying to sell any one profession. i really do think you should pursue what you could see yourself enjoying for the next 40 years of your life.

all professional schools are hard to get into. i know in cali alone, most of the pharm school GPA averages are 3.6-3.7 where dental schools are like 3.4. but that is also due to the fact PCAT is not required so they look at mainly the GPA.

Your right there are more average students than brillant. But if you have 5000 applicants vs. 2000 applicants, chances are you are gonna have more number "brilliant" students in the 5k applicant pool vs. 2k applicant pool...
And that just increases the competition, which means it makes it harder to get in...

Sag

and saying that vet students are smarter than med students, based on the number of applicants/rejected students, is rather absurd. only a ******* vet student would say that.

and saying that vet students are smarter than med students, based on the number of applicants/rejected students, is rather absurd. only a ******* vet student would say that.

Too bad im not a vet student....

Sag

How do you know the composition (ie. % average, % brilliant) of the different applicant pools without having measured them? Without the data, you are simply giving conjectural statements. There's no such thing as "all else being equal" in the real world.

IdiotsAnnoyMe said:
Seriously - I don't buy that connection either.

I would have to say that over looking at acceptance ratios, you should look at general stats for admission. Granted, admissions isn't straight cut and many factors come into play, but even if acceptance ratios were higher for med than dental (i'm not even sure if that's true), the stats for admission is different. If i applied with a 3.4 to dental and med, by gpa alone my chance for acceptance is much higher for dental (general idea - i know you have to apply test scores, extracurriculars etc and obviously acceptance ratios do have some weight). Likewise for pharm.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is what a kaplan rep told me:
MCAT=most grueling b/c it is 8 hours
DAT=most difficult based on content alone (beats the MCAT believe it or not)
PCAT=easiest based on content and format

as far as applying to and getting accepted to the schools:
VET>MED>DENT>PHARM>NURS

I didn't read this whole thread, so maybe somebody's already said it, but, I don't believe the DAT has more difficult content.

Let's pretend for a moment that the DAT questions are more comprehensive in the fields of general chemistry, biology, organic chemistry... It doesn't matter, cause the MCAT has a PHYSICS section and the DAT does not!!

The DAT should really add a physics section in my opinion. I mean, dentists use radiation a hell of a lot more every day than the general doctor. The DAT should be much more difficult - weed out those not really interested in the profession.

You ask this question in a dental forum. What the hell do you expect people to write. -____-

i got accepted into pharmacy school straight outta high school (ohio northern's pharm d program)

i'd say dental school is harder.

I got into a pharmacy school in New Orleans, La this fall. The stats for the previous year were:[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
  • 1112 applications
  • 667 applications from Louisiana
  • 160 were accepted
  • Cut-Off GPA was 2.5
  • Average GPA was 3.10
I looks like cake from the GPA prospective, but I know people who don't get in for certain reasons. For example, a person I know who is a Caucasian male had to apply 3 times and transfer to their university to earn his bachelors. It took three years and thousands of dollars just to get in.

The other school in Louisiana took only 92 students this year, which is dramatically lower historically speaking. People with 3.8's didn't get in! (for certain reasons, too)

Never! PAT is not as hard as DAT. PAT just emphasizes on chemistry and organic chemistry so much and i think it includes biochem. otherwise DAT contains more stuff on it.

I am very curious about this. What do you guys think? Many people claimed that it is way harder to get in Pharmacy school than Dental.

Never! PAT is not as hard as DAT. PAT just emphasizes on chemistry and organic chemistry so much and i think it includes biochem. otherwise DAT contains more stuff on it.

I think the difficulty for both exam are equal...Having taken both exams... just my thought.

What school did u friend get in with a 2.8 gpa and 50 % on his PCAT?

Getting off the point a bit...
I would say this is the order...
Vet, med, dent, pharm.

Vet school is difficult because there are SO FEW.

That being said... Getting into dental school is much harder than pharm. Why? Most pharm schools will allow you to apply straight from a CC.

I agree. I think Vet school is the hardest to get into.

Just out of curiosity, does it still hold true that PharmD is the least competitive to get into? I would wager that these stats from 2006 no longer hold true in 2008! I am a Pre-PharmD student. I heard PharmD is a whole lot more competitive to get into now, please share your thoughts.

Just out of curiosity, does it still hold true that PharmD is the least competitive to get into? I would wager that these stats from 2006 no longer hold true in 2008! I am a Pre-PharmD student. I heard PharmD is a whole lot more competitive to get into now, please share your thoughts.

The mean GPA for pharmacy schools for 2007 was 3.54. It is difficult to obtain accurate information on the number of applicants. Even AACP uses only number applications (~110K) rather than number of applicants for the ~10K first year enrollees. (roughly 10K). Dental school have ~105K applications for ~11K applicants and ~4600 enrollees.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5223552&postcount=1

Med school is definitely more difficult than dental school to get admitted to.

Even the MCAT exam is more difficult than the DAT. I think the DAT is easier than the MCAT, because the reading comp portion of the DAT is geared more towards science and hard-core facts/numbers. The MCAT reading comp consist of literature passages, things that don't pertain to medicine. I was quite surprised. Then, the MCAT has Physics on their test, whereas the DAT doesn't. I also looked at some of the MCAT science questions, and some questions required test-takers to read a small complex passage. Definitely MCAT takes the cake for being a tough exam.

Pharm school, I'd say is quite competitive, because all you do in pharm school is book work and study study study. Whereas in dentistry, you have to be good with your hands and have good hand skills. Dentistry is not only cleaning people's teeth and knowing the anatomical structure of the head, but also making crowns and partials. You can be a smart and intelligent student, but if you have crappy hand skills, you won't be a great dentist.

I'd say dentistry is BOTH medicine and art combined together, and no other health occupation is like dentistry!!! :thumbup:

You cannot really compare the two exams directly different material. First of all physics is not on the dat, but the dat has a very challenging math section. The bio is much more fierce on the dat covering many more areas(evolution, ecology etc...) The dat is a pure knowledge test, if you know it then your good, if not your screwed. The mcat is reading exam, the majority of the quetions are all extracted from the passsages. Which one is harder? well that depends on who is taking the exam. for some the dat is tougher and for others the mcat will be tougher. Just another thing to add the mcat is about the same length as the dat around 5 hours. Its all on computer now, no more paper stuff. In addition to acceptance rates, more med schools are going to be opening, while the application pool could continue to drop. The acceptance rate for dentistry is much lower then med, someone already talked about this earlier in the thread. Ok on to pharmacy, just anothe area I know more about then about everyone on the dental forum, because I run one. If you like pharmacy go for it, don't worry about the competitive bull**** that some of these people are talking about. You can't be a dumb*** *** and do well in pharmacy school, pharmacology, med chem and therapeutics are though classes. Oh this is a dental forum so granted most are going to bash on med and pharmacy, it is kind of in their nature. Even knowing that they don't mean any direct harm.

Med school is definitely more difficult than dental school to get admitted to.

Even the MCAT exam is more difficult than the DAT. I think the DAT is easier than the MCAT, because the reading comp portion of the DAT is geared more towards science and hard-core facts/numbers. The MCAT reading comp consist of literature passages, things that don't pertain to medicine. I was quite surprised. Then, the MCAT has Physics on their test, whereas the DAT doesn't. I also looked at some of the MCAT science questions, and some questions required test-takers to read a small complex passage. Definitely MCAT takes the cake for being a tough exam.

Pharm school, I'd say is quite competitive, because all you do in pharm school is book work and study study study. Whereas in dentistry, you have to be good with your hands and have good hand skills. Dentistry is not only cleaning people's teeth and knowing the anatomical structure of the head, but also making crowns and partials. You can be a smart and intelligent student, but if you have crappy hand skills, you won't be a great dentist.

I'd say dentistry is BOTH medicine and art combined together, and no other health occupation is like dentistry!!! :thumbup:

You cannot really compare the two exams directly different material. First of all physics is not on the dat, but the dat has a very challenging math section. The bio is much more fierce on the dat covering many more areas(evolution, ecology etc...) The dat is a pure knowledge test, if you know it then your good, if not your screwed. The mcat is reading exam, the majority of the quetions are all extracted from the passsages. Which one is harder? well that depends on who is taking the exam. for some the dat is tougher and for others the mcat will be tougher. Just another thing to add the mcat is about the same length as the dat around 5 hours. Its all on computer now, no more paper stuff. In addition to acceptance rates, more med schools are going to be opening, while the application pool could continue to drop. The acceptance rate for dentistry is much lower then med, someone already talked about this earlier in the thread. Ok on to pharmacy, just anothe area I know more about then about everyone on the dental forum, because I run one. If you like pharmacy go for it, don't worry about the competitive bull**** that some of these people are talking about. You can't be a dumb*** *** and do well in pharmacy school, pharmacology, med chem and therapeutics are though classes. Oh this is a dental forum so granted most are going to bash on med and pharmacy, it is kind of in their nature. Even knowing that they don't mean any direct harm.

just from what i've seen and heard i would have to agree that vet school is very difficult to get into. then med school, the dental school, and to me, pharmacy school is extremely easy to get into. i have a friend who took two years of undergraduate coursework and did avg and she is now at pharm school. most of the people that have been applying to pharm school that i know of are all applying after their second year. hardly any of them are getting a degree, and most of them have already been accepted. yes a lot of people apply, but you have to take into account that half these people are the ones who couldnt get into to the first three schools, so they resort to pharmacy. im not saying anything bad about pharmacy, but this is a general trend i've noticed.

I go to Texas A&M University and we have a vet school. I'm actually an undergraduate who is getting a Bachelor's in Biomedical science, and most of our classes are actually taught by the same teachers in the vet school[only place in America I believe where the undergrad is taught in a professional school with the same teachers, Whoop!]. Granted, they don't hold us to quite as high of a standard; that is, we don't apply the info we learn to surgical skills, etc... but it is a very very rigorous courseload. That being said, I know hands down, in Texas at least, Vet school is definitely the hardest to get into. There is just one Vet school in Texas, that is a lot for all of Texas and the surrounding states. They have so few seats and tons of applicants; the acceptance ratio is ridiculous. It's not that people in Vet school are the smartest, simply that a lot of people really enjoy working with animals (not me) and fight for those seats.
I am personally going into dental school because I think it is something that I will enjoy, but since we're on the "difficulty to get accepted discussion" I thought I would put my two cents in.

Okay, here is my opinion:

Vet>>Dent>med>pharm>nursing (notice the >>)

Okay, my reasoning behind the dent being harder than med is this (this applies in Texas at least)

There are 3 dental schools in Texas, 8 med schools. A student applies to at most 3 dental schools through the TMDSAS, and then a med student applies to 8 med schools through it also. Basically we are saying that "accepted" means just getting in right? So regardless of ratios, there is a better chance of getting into at least 1 med school, than there is of getting into any dental school. All you need to do is get accepted to one school, not all of them. So for an individual, it may be a little easier to get into med in Texas. And NO, I am not implying that Dent students are smarter than everyone else, we surely are not, but we may have to fight a litter harder for our seats.

It's kinda like heretibility, you can only apply it to one population. Making gross statements about dent/med over the entire US is somewhat misleading because it is too generalized.

However, I do think the MCAT may be harder than the DAT simply because it has physics, and maybe because it is passage based. I might have done better on the MCAT though, considering I read very effectively and got a 99%tile on my DAT RC. Passages do make some answers easier. I wouldn't be able to say since I haven't taken the MCAT, but I did get a 21 on my DAT. The PCAT is definitely easier than both though.

wait a minute.

I think we are overlooking one HUGE HUGE factor.

most pharmacy students apply to school after 2-3 years of undergrad. 54 of the 56 dental schools require that you have a BS before you apply. The GPAs can't be compared because pre-pharm students take less classes than pre-dents.

That being said,
I am currently a pharmacy technician, and the day to day job of a pharmacist is much easier than a dentist. A pharmacists main jobs are to: make sure the sig/dosage/medication is correct, look for interactions, give instructions to the patient, and deal with INSURANCE companies.

wait a minute.

most pharmacy students apply to school after 2-3 years of undergrad. 54 of the 56 dental schools require that you have a BS before you apply. The GPAs can't be compared because pre-pharm students take less classes than pre-dents.

That being said,
I am currently a pharmacy technician, and the day to day job of a pharmacist is much easier than a dentist. A pharmacists main jobs are to: make sure the sig/dosage/medication is correct, look for interactions, give instructions to the patient, and deal with INSURANCE companies.

Both very true statements sir. However, one must never overlook the fact that pharmacists and dentists and doctors ALL help people feel better. Sure a pharmacist may only give you the medicine, but they can provide you with much valuable information that the doctor may have forgotten, and cheer up your day. I know from experience that a pharmacist can have a major influence on how that person feels that day.

wait a minute.

That being said,
Is it really required? I thought the vast majority were willing to take those w/o a degree if they were competitive enough.

this whole thread is silly. The list posted earlier is right and obvious. Pharmacy is much easier to get into. duh

My cousin from Japan come here when she was 18 years old. Take all the prerequisite classes at cc for 3 years and go straight to UOP without a B.S.
Yeah she got all As at cc.
On the other hand,i went straight to UC from high school, a 5th year senior work my a** off to maintain a 3.5 GPA, research, extracurricularvities...
So i think dental>>>>> pharmacy.

This thread has got to be a joke. Getting into pharmacy school is obviously much easier...
In fact a friend of mine is in pharmacy school right now. She attends Wingate's Pharmacy school and she says its easier then undergrad! then again she is very smart...never studied in undergrad and graduated with a 3.74 GPA!

It's customary to rank by degree type on SDN... not profession. ;)

DVM, MD, DDS/DMD, PharmD, DO, OD, DPM, etc....

Both very true statements sir. However, one must never overlook the fact that pharmacists and dentists and doctors ALL help people feel better. Sure a pharmacist may only give you the medicine, but they can provide you with much valuable information that the doctor may have forgotten, and cheer up your day. I know from experience that a pharmacist can have a major influence on how that person feels that day.

:laugh: I guess that's better than saying they take the pills from the big bottle and put it into the little bottles.

:laugh: I guess that's better than saying they take the pills from the big bottle and put it into the little bottles.
:laugh:LOL:laugh: (no literally!)

i really don't care which one is harder to get into as i have no desire to go to pharm, med, vet, etc school. i also think that should go out to all the other predents on here as well as it really doesn't matter which one is harder as you are planning on going to dental school and should just focus on that. choosing a career path based on ease of admissions into that particular school is just obsurd! this thread is nothing but a pissing contest to see who can come up with the best argument for which one is harder.

although valiant in theory, it is just not possible to determine which one is harder to get into as all the applications are subjectively relative to that particular years applicants. if a "brilliant" person applies to a school (dent, pharm, whatever) with lots of other brillant applicants with similar stats it will be harder for them to get in. now if that same "brilliant" student applied to another school with sub-par applicants it would be easier for them to gain admissions. and besides, as scientists (most of us anyway), we should know that the only way to objectively make a claim such as "_______ school is harder to get into _______" is to take a broad array of students and have them take all the standardized tests and apply to all the school types and see the percentage of them that get into a particular type of school. then you can compare their objective stats (GPA, standardized test scores, etc) while eliminating their subjective aptitudes (shadowing, research, etc) as subjective matter is simply that in determining admissions - subjective. only when this is done can one make a claim that "________ school is harder to get into than ____________"

thank you, and GOOD DAY! :cool:

This thread has got to be a joke. Getting into pharmacy school is obviously much easier...
In fact a friend of mine is in pharmacy school right now. She attends Wingate's Pharmacy school and she says its easier then undergrad! then again she is very smart...never studied in undergrad and graduated with a 3.74 GPA!
Obviously? So you've done both, right?

Both are competitive, but I wouldn't say pharmacy is harder than dental.

lol........I highly disagree with this statement. I don't know about the states, but in Canada, pharmacy is so easy to get into, while dentistry is extremely difficult to get in.

At my school (UBC), people get into the pharmacy program after their first year (30 credits) and they admit so many applicants (around 120) each year. For dentistry, we only admit 40 each year, and you need to complete at least 90 credits and have at least a 3.7 to be considered competitive. Then there's the east coast schools, U of T and McGill, which is next to impossible to get in unless you get straight A throughout your undergrad.

/AGREED

Here in Alberta, we have pre-pharms getting in without writing the PCAT or having high GPAs. 120 to 150 students at each pharmacy school? That is ridiculous compared to dental.

UT and UWO (apparently) has the highest GPA requirements ever and only have a class of 40-60 students.

Pharmacy is a good career choice and by no means better or worse than dental or med. Its just that it is much much easier to get into academically.

and for lots of schols you know that pharm schools dont require PCAT....
especially for California and nevada.... no PCAT required that's y it is easier to get in..

everyone is considering the wrong things:

# of applicants : # of seats does NOT determine how competitive programs are.

The quality (GPA, MCAT/PCAT/DAT, ECs) of the applicants determine how hard a program is.

Hypothetical Situations (using extremes to prove my point):

1) 110 applicants for 100 spots in program 1. 100 of the 110 applicants are physics/engineering majors from MIT with 4.0, top 99.9% test scores, research, international volunteering, forming community service organizations, and great LORs.

2) 1,000 applicants for 100 spots in program 1. Almost every applicant is from a CC with a 2.0 GPA and no ECs.

Which program is more competitive/hard to get into to?

Obviously program 1, even though program 2 has 10 times the applicants for the same amount of spots.

/AGREED

Here in Alberta, we have pre-pharms getting in without writing the PCAT or having high GPAs. 120 to 150 students at each pharmacy school? That is ridiculous compared to dental.

UT and UWO (apparently) has the highest GPA requirements ever and only have a class of 40-60 students.

Pharmacy is a good career choice and by no means better or worse than dental or med. Its just that it is much much easier to get into academically.

It is true that Alberta does not need the PCAT, which may make it seem easier. But then that makes the faculty more academically focused. Our faculty recommends a 3.5 GPA to apply and competitive average is 3.7-3.8. Also, 130 students are accepted, but the year I entered, there were 1000+ people who applied.
Furthermore, everyone from my class has already signed onto a job even before graduating, hence, 130 students isn't too many. I just wonder if we graduated 130 dentists every year, how many would be able to find a job within the major cities in Alberta.

It is true that Alberta does not need the PCAT, which may make it seem easier. But then that makes the faculty more academically focused. Our faculty recommends a 3.5 GPA to apply and competitive average is 3.7-3.8. Also, 130 students are accepted, but the year I entered, there were 1000+ people who applied.
Furthermore, everyone from my class has already signed onto a job even before graduating, hence, 130 students isn't too many. I just wonder if we graduated 130 dentists every year, how many would be able to find a job within the major cities in Alberta.

your logic is flawed on so many levels.

130 seats would be very large by dental school standards. Not many, a few aside, have more than 100 seats.

Dentists don't graduate and "find jobs" the way pharmacists do. Many do residencies, start practices, join practices, or SOME find jobs at corporate dental offices. It is much more difficult for a dentist to find a successful practice than it is for a pharmacist to take a job at a local chain or hospital pharmacy.

The argument doesn't hold up because pharmacy and dentistry are different. If things continue the way they are going, then in 30 years we'll have wal-mart dentistry like wal-mart pharmacies. Then we'll be able to compare the difficulty in finding a job.

Regardless, the percentages of dentists and pharmacists that find jobs AFTER school has nothing to do with the difficulty of getting accepted to said schools.

pharmacy is easier because PCAT is not required in some states and CA, Nevada!

your logic is flawed on so many levels.

Regardless, the percentages of dentists and pharmacists that find jobs AFTER school has nothing to do with the difficulty of getting accepted to said schools.

I just wanted to state the competitive situation in my area, and also address statement about the large number of spots for Pharmacy school from the previous post.
Although I didn't say it directly, I meant to say that pharmacy is in real demand hence the number of seats. By no means does it makes it easier or less competitive.
Dentistry is competitive because of the limited number of seats. If they were to expand the seats to that of pharmacy , I still think it would create an over-supply in our province very quickly.
Dentists eventually do end up owning or joining a practice. So, I'm not really sure about your talk about residencies and etc. These dentists eventually work, hence "find a job."
But, I do think its equally competitive and really depends on preference.

I just wanted to state the competitive situation in my area, and also address statement about the large number of spots for Pharmacy school from the previous post.
Although I didn't say it directly, I meant to say that pharmacy is in real demand hence the number of seats. By no means does it makes it easier or less competitive.
Dentistry is competitive because of the limited number of seats. If they were to expand the seats to that of pharmacy , I still think it would create an over-supply in our province very quickly.
Dentists eventually do end up owning or joining a practice. So, I'm not really sure about your talk about residencies and etc. These dentists eventually work, hence "find a job."
But, I do think its equally competitive and really depends on preference.

How competitive admission to a prof school is a function of the number and quality of applicants, not on the number of first year enrollees. For example, the number of "seats" for podiatry is 586 while med is 17759 and guess which one is more competitive.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=521462

i'd have to agree with the majority of people in this thread and say that it's a LOT easier to get into pharmacy school than it is dental school. i'm a senior in high school and had applied to both pharmacy school for Rutgers in NJ and the joint 7 year dental program with UMDNJ and had almost immediately gotten my acceptance letter from Rutgers Pharmacy without even having to go for an interview. the DMD program however was a fairly more rigorous as it took 2 interview processes to even be considered for the program (i got in and am going to do the joint program).

Lets think big picture here.....

WHO CARES?

Lets think big picture here.....

WHO CARES?

yeah. seems like this question is only asked for two stupid reasons:

1) some pharmacy student wants to prove to their dental student buddy that s/he is smarter or vice versa

2) someone trying to get one of these grad programs has no passion for either and wants to know where s/he has the best chance to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.