anyone else nervous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chinnychin

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my rank list today and realized my numb 1 program is realllly where i want to be and I already feel crappy thinking it may very well not happen-that kind of stinks this process

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my rank list today and realized my numb 1 program is realllly where i want to be and I already feel crappy thinking it may very well not happen-that kind of stinks this process

very. I've settled on my #1 choice as well. But 2,3,4 and giving me grief.

I did an away rotation at the one, but don't know where I stand because I understand they interviewed 50 people for 1 spot, enjoyed the atmosphere at another but doubts of my competitiveness there because it seemed they liked people who rotated through - which I was denied because my school had no affiliation with the hospital- and the 3rd where I felt I fit in perfectly, but had 3 great interviews and 1 lousy interview with the chairman/PD.

Maybe I'm over thinking things, or maybe I'm not. Its very frustrating.

My neuroticism is flaring up again. I'm enjoying my free time, but I keep wondering where I'll end up in June/July. Glad that there are plenty of like-minded people to commiserate with on the net. :oops:

i am more worried about NRMP screwing it up. If they're anything like USMLE......

I'm totally nervous about the match too. I realized the other day that I'll be pretty devastated if I don't match at my number one and totally devastated if I don't match in my top three... Everyone told me that 4th year was so great, I think it's been the worst year yet. I like control and I just don't have it in the whole match process. It puts a lot of stress on your personal life too, everything is on hold pending match day. I just look forward to a time where I can sleep through the night again.:luck:

I am with you all. I felt really good right after my interviews since I felt that I have a reasonably strong application. Now, I am a nervous wreck. I wanted to start planning - looking for a house, mortgage, etc. But I feel like my life is on hold until March 15. Why can't they move it up earlier since it is all by computer anyway???

:eek:

yes, that is me too.
i agree that they should be able to move it up because i heard that it all gets decided in some insanely short amount of time, like a few minutes.....
i also feel that is it TORTURE to have life on hold, this ISNT fun, i like to make plans and think ahead.
yes i think that this might be the most neurotic i have ever been. what will life be like POST feb 21st when i cant change my mind about my rank list?!?!? :scared: :eek: :scared:

I am SOOOO JUMPY and EDGY now a days it aint even pretty.
crazy.gif

After reading this thread, I somehow feel better about being a total psycho lately. Once interviews started, I changed from a model student to a neurotic mess. It's good to know that I'm not the only one and hopefully I'll regain function at some point post-match. I just hope I was able to hide it well enough during interviews.

After reading this thread, I somehow feel better about being a total psycho lately. Once interviews started, I changed from a model student to a neurotic mess. It's good to know that I'm not the only one and hopefully I'll regain function at some point post-match. I just hope I was able to hide it well enough during interviews.

Well I wasn't exactly a model student before-for me it was more like going from a lazy 4th year enjoying every minute and using alcohol for fun to nervous lazy 4th year using alcohol to cope

I emailed my #1 about a week ago to tell them they were #1, here's what I got in my email today. The part that is bolded concerns me. I'm not entirely certain how to interpret this, other than hoping that some people they ranked ahead of me go elsewhere. :barf:

Chair said:
Hi *****,

We are pleased that you think so highly of the residency program at ***** and appreciate very much hearing that you would like to be a resident in our program in 2007. We think extremely highly of you as a candidate and have concluded that you will be an excellent resident. We have been fortunate this year in that we have an exceptionally strong group of applicants. While we can't promise you a position at *****, in past years candidates who were placed as highly on our match list as you are, have matched with our program. If it happens that you match to a program other than ***** for your pathology residency, we hope that you will strongly consider us for fellowship training. We wish you all the best in your career in pathology.

Chair, Resident Selection Committee

I emailed my #1 about a week ago to tell them they were #1, here's what I got in my email today. The part that is bolded concerns me. I'm not entirely certain how to interpret this, other than hoping that some people they ranked ahead of me go elsewhere. :barf:

What are you confused about-it seems pretty clear-cut and straightforward. It says exactly what it says-You are ranked at a certain level and historically that level has matched at the program-sounds good news to me-as good as you can get at this stage in the game froma PD. And then factor in that what PD's say is useless and meaningless many times-and the nervousness creeps back in huh-its a no win situation always.

It clearly sounds to me that if this path program has 10 spots, he/she isn't in the top 10 of the program's rank list. So this person is just hoping some of the "top 10" decide not to rank this path program. But, this letter is clearly positive and nothing to complain about.

It clearly sounds to me that if this path program has 10 spots, he/she isn't in the top 10 of the program's rank list. So this person is just hoping some of the "top 10" decide not to rank this path program. But, this letter is clearly positive and nothing to complain about.

I'm definitely not complaining and I definitely wouldn't alter my rank list based on what a PD says, but it would have been somewhat (although minimally) re-assuring to hear "ranked to match".

wouldn't that be nice :) we'd all love that.

I'm definitely not complaining and I definitely wouldn't alter my rank list based on what a PD says, but it would have been somewhat (although minimally) re-assuring to hear "ranked to match".

No wonder you are going into path-its semantics-"people in your position match in our program" v. ranked to match-dude the PD is confident you will match-be happy and enjoy the rest of 4th year.

Hey man...that's BS! :mad: They should be beggin you to come to their program...i'm serious. Sounds to me the NRMP finally cracked down on someone's overzealous attempt to pressure people into their program or at least divulging their place on your ROL.

Anyway, I do hope you match there. :luck:

I'm certainly very nervous, but also a little frustrated that the match process couldn't be a little faster. I may or may not be moving 2,000 miles from where I currently live, and would love to start looking for an apartment, plan for a move, etc...but can't because the computer program takes 3 weeks from rank deadline!?!?!?! It may be a moot point, and something I certainly have to live with, but man does that feel good to get that off my chest...
Good luck everyone...
:eek: :cool:

I totally agree with all the above. Not to be negative, but all i heard about 4th year was how awesome it was...all this freetime, nothing to worry about. Oh except for planning interviews, going on interviews, deciding where you want to be, wondering if the place you decided is the right choice and then waiting to see if the decided right place decided on you too. :scared: My stomach is in knots constantly, not sleeping up to par, and the match/next year is all that is on my mind. On top of all that i'm trying to concentrate on studying for step 2ck..ugh! Okay, enough venting....thanks for listening:love:

Im going crazy, it seems that everyday goes slower and that match day is even more far away!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Technology my A@@, 3 weeks for them to report the match that takes minutes to be run!!!!

Not nervous at all.

EtOH 50% (100 proof)
Sig: 1 serving BID PRN nervousness
Disp: 1 handle

never felt a tinge of nervousness until i put down my "certified" list....now suddenly racked with some fear about the reality of moving to new city again with no friends/family....just doesn't feel the same as when i was making up an abstact list in my brain!

Friends and colleagues,
My name is CJam and I am a studentdoctornetworkaholic. I cannot stop checking this freaking website every hour or so for some desparate attempt at a glimpse of hope or whatever to pass this "Chinese water torture" of a month on by. It is nice to have a fellowship of fellow obsessors.
This too shall pass. Then we'll all be like, "OK. Now I am kind of depressed after not being jacked up on anticipation. What can I obsess over now? Oh yes... the fact that I don't know s--t and will be a doctor in a few months"

haha! i thought i was the only one continually checking this site, in hopes of, oh i dont know, some momentary relief from this ridiculous insanity that has taken over my life (and my fellow 4th year medicals student roommate, making our apartment not the funnest place to be lately) :scared:
chinese water torture! HAAAAAAAAAA that was the best thing i have heard so far.
Please people, keep the funny stuff coming!!! :laugh:

Oh yes... the fact that I don't know s--t and will be a doctor in a few months"

Amen to that...If I have to hear one more speech from a chief or attending or whomever about..."Come July 1st, you will be the one with the responsibilty and making the tough decisions and doing the work...blah blah blah" I'm going to toss my cookies. All I can think when I hear that is those poor poor patients that will have me as an intern in July...I don't think I know anything!

My fear is that I have put something in wrong, like program #, even though i have checked it a zillion times....:oops:

I suggest you take up dating, I'm more confident about my CV than my game.

haahaahah... If one WAS to go out now a date prior to the match, I think the following scenario may ensue..

Hi, I am "Cant stop thinking about the match". Hmm.. What shall v talk about? :confused:
I know!!! :idea:
THE MATCH :D
Wait! Y r u leaving? :scared:

Really, really, really stressed out. For a long time, I though I would get my top three, now am I hoping for anything in my top 8.

And I'm still worried. :scared: :scared: :scared:

This is, for lack of a better word (that I can use on this forum), sucky.

Amen to that...If I have to hear one more speech from a chief or attending or whomever about..."Come July 1st, you will be the one with the responsibilty and making the tough decisions and doing the work...blah blah blah" I'm going to toss my cookies. All I can think when I hear that is those poor poor patients that will have me as an intern in July...I don't think I know anything!

I would offer the following bit of advice for this feeling (which I too had). If you're going into IM (or EM or Peds for that matter), try to start off in the ICU. You will have a ton of backup and the nurses in the unit are, in general, the best in the hospital and will not let you screw up too badly. You will have to try very hard to actively kill somebody in the ICU.

I started off in the MICU and although in retrospect I let the nurses drive things a little too much on some patients, I feel like I got the best introduction possible to medicine in the MICU and it made the rest of the year seem like a piece of cake.

haahaahah... If one WAS to go out now a date prior to the match, I think the following scenario may ensue..

Hi, I am "Cant stop thinking about the match". Hmm.. What shall v talk about? :confused:
I know!!! :idea:
THE MATCH :D
Wait! Y r u leaving? :scared:

Well, speaking from experience... the conversation gets a little sticky when the question, "where do you live?" comes up. You say you currently live in Allentown or wherever, but you have to throw in that you could be living in any of four different states starting in June. That has to be my biggest match pet-peeve... and it completely peeves whatever game I had before!:mad:

oh yes, i completely agree with the dating frustration pre-match! it is SO sucky. this whole up in the air lifestyle has put a BIG hault on really any dating.... until i unexpectedly got asked out at a random coffee shop by this amazing guy, totally got attached, and then when he started to realize him being in the picture MIGHT affect my rank list, he bolted. i never even told him my rank list! :mad: grrr.......
i am scared how on edge i will be next week, :scared: :scared: :scared: post-ROL deadline!

OH My God!!! Am NERVOUS as hell! Am even dreaming about how Match day is gonna be!

Since this entire thread is written by freaked out students, I thought I would add some hope. I have been through two matches (I know, it's terrible). The first one did not worry me too much because I was reasonably competitive in a non-competitive year for surgery. Finding a home was not a problem at all, even though I also obsessed over this. Also, in most places, the interns are not alone, making decisions. There should always be someone to call, and life gets easier. Hopefully you can relax a little. :luck:

My fellowship match was last May. I was on vacation (in Europe) between rank list deadline and match day, which suppressed the "where did you match?", "where did you match?", "where did you match?", "where did you match?" that I heard constantly. During residency match, I was contacted by program directors, and this did not happen for fellowship match. I actually worked myself up so much that I predicted that I did not match at all. I am still in shock, because I matched at a place I ranked and loved, but never in a billion years would have imagined matching.

Good luck to all of you, because for most, it will turn out well. However, I am glad that the next job search is computer-free. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you. My performance has been compromised since finishing off my interviews. All I could think of is this silly matching process. Lots and grief my friend. Hopefully, it will all end soon.

I have officially retired all functions in my brain that require an IQ above 120 until March 12th.

Dating? I have no interest in humans any more.

Food? I am losing weight by thinking about the match.

Rotations? Who is that man in long white coat that keeps asking me to look at a chart? Doesn't he know I am busy thinking about the match?

Bathroom Brake? Sure, that's the best place to think about the match.

I have officially retired all functions in my brain that require an IQ above 120 until March 12th.

Rotations? Who is that man in long white coat that keeps asking me to look at a chart? Doesn't he know I am busy thinking about the match?

IQ of 120? Try about 70 here! ADLs are impossible and I'm pretty sure that I've been drooling a lot on charts.

What??? do you mean we have to keep going to the hospital and stuff? I thought that was over when we certified our lists!!!

I have alot of explaining to do then!!

You guys think you have it bad? Well, let me tell ya... we are all chewing our nails here hoping we fill at match. We may have to go to scramble to fill. ;)

It is really scarry... and having been through the match, not matching, and then having to scramble (in to a super program I might add) I find it is just as scary for the programs. I have been involved in recruiting activities and match list ranking and can tell ya... it's hard from this end too.

It will work out for all involved. You all will wind up where you are supposed to go... even if it isn't at your #1 choice. Good luck to all of you... and keep your chins up!

Oh, and before I forget... the reason there is such a long delay is that the original computers took longer to process the data, and the algorhythm is run more than once to ensure that there are no glitches. With todays faster computers the runs and re-runs take only minutes to hours instead of hours to days, but there has not been an accompanying change in the time table. Hey, it's better than doing it by hand... think how long that would take!

I have 3 days left in the MICU after today. I have zero motivation. I hope to get it back before July.

I seem to be passing the time by eating baked goods...and my finger nails.

That's all I've got.

18 days...18 days...18.....days...

I have 3 days left in the MICU after today. I have zero motivation. I hope to get it back before July.

I seem to be passing the time by eating baked goods...and my finger nails.

That's all I've got.

18 days...18 days...18.....days...

My last rotation month is April. I was scheduled for Nephrology with a great preceptor.....but I just changed it to Dermatology. I have no desire, at this point, to round on 10 patients and do 4-5 consults/day. I do have a little gunner's guilt about my switch, but honestly at this point, that month rotation won't do anything for me in regard to internship.

I'd rather chill and enjoy my time before hell starts.

heh. <--Has no motivation at all. My excuse for showing up on wednesday is free cupcakes or something for someone's birthday.

I've got 2 days left of medical school (carib grad started in may), 18 days till match. And a 1500 mile drive home.

I sat in a small lecture today and I completly blanked out for that hour. I couldn't believe that time went that fast cause I felt like I just sat down. And everyone's been looking at me and asking if I had questions because I guess looked clueless instead of lazy.

My last rotation month is April. I was scheduled for Nephrology with a great preceptor.....but I just changed it to Dermatology. I have no desire, at this point, to round on 10 patients and do 4-5 consults/day. I do have a little gunner's guilt about my switch, but honestly at this point, that month rotation won't do anything for me in regard to internship.

I'd rather chill and enjoy my time before hell starts.

Gunners guilt! That is CLASSIC! I have found my diagnosis.

Last night while my team was overnight in the MICU, I took a 4 hour nap, then woke up and went down to the cafeteria to get pancakes...while they wre working their asses off.

I am totally going to get mine. Big time. BIG time.

Gunner's guilt. I love it!

Pandabear has his cool stuff trademarked, so I'll do mine too. "Gunner's guilt" trademarked (possibly copyright?) SexPanther 2005-2007. I'm not sure if that's how you trademark something. I came up with it about 2 years ago and have been using it ever since.

No, it is not possible that that phrase has ever been used before, never in the history of medicine. Therefore, feel free to use it but reference the bad ass SP you met on SDN.:laugh: