Weill Cornell Class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supersleuthMD11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to start a thread for all of us accepted at Cornell. Let the fun begin:)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone who got in! :p Looking forward to meeting you guys at the Revisit weekend.

Glad someone finally took some initiative and started this thread! Congrats to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! Hope to see you all at Second Look!

congrats all! Yay for cornell finally having a thread!

So has anyone made a final decision yet? If not where else are you considering/waiting on?

So has anyone made a final decision yet? If not where else are you considering/waiting on?

No final decision for me yet - far from it! I was trying to decide between Wash U and UMich until March rolled around and I got into Cornell and Columbia! Of course, just to make my life sooo much easier, all of their second looks are on the same weekend!! At this point, I'm probably going to end up going to Columbia's and Cornell's second looks (I just checked and they're slightly staggered so I can thankfully go to both).

I'm also technically waiting for Yale and Harvard to make decisions, but I don't have much hope on those fronts. No worries, I'm thrilled with what I've got so far!!

I definitely have not made a final decision but unfortunately can't make it to second look. I'll need you guys to be my eyes and ears for me :)
I love NYC (I lived there for one summer) and would love to spend my early/mid-20s in THE city :laugh:

What are people's thoughts after just the interview? Any current Cornell med students want to chime in on their thoughts? I would love to hear about:
*What made you choose Cornell over other schools?
*What is your favorite thing about Cornell?
*What is your least favorite?
*How is it living in the dorms? (This is somewhat concerning for me since I have been living in a house for the past year)

I'm waiting for Penn's decisions to come out at the end of the month. But regardless, I loved Cornell and would happily go there. I interviewed with the Dean of Students, Dr. Miller. He was one of the best interviewers I've had. And from the students, they all seemed to love him. Actually, the students seemed to love everything. So overall, I was very pleased. See you all in April.

congrats all! Yay for cornell finally having a thread!

Major congrats to all of us!!:love:

Hmm...well I absolutley LOVED cornell. The students were so down to earth and welcoming, and NYC would be great, but certainly a change.

I'm currently living in Boston, which I adore, and I am waiting to hear from Harvard...and in terms of location, I'd prefer to stay in Boston for a variety of reasons (here goes the boston v. new york debate!!) That said, Cornell is on the top of my list of the schools to which I have been accepted to, and of the schools for which I am waiting, Harvard is on the top of my list...so assuming some good luck next week - which is a big assumption - it'll be either Cornell or Harvard.

In other words, this is a long way of saying "I don't know!"

Possibly will not be able to make it to second look either:( but I will definitley go down and visit on my own if I can't go on the 13th of April. I'm with ElementofDanger - you guys will have to be my eyes and ears!

Congrats again, and I'll possibly see many of you next year :D

Congrats to you all. Let me know if you have any questions about deciding between schools, life here, learning here, etc.

I'll edit for a much shorter message....the other one took up too much space.

Congrats everybody!! Hope to see you next year.

Looks like most of the SDN accepted crew is skipping revisit. I'm not going to be there either (well I'm doing the MSTP revisit but not the MD portion, it just doesn't work out for me). So someone had better go and fill us all in on the details. LOL.

Hey guys, did anyone get the acceptance letter yet? Just curious, does it come in a big envelope?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, did anyone get the acceptance letter yet? Just curious, does it come in a big envelope?

Mine came in a normal envelope. It included a sheet you mark and send back to hold a place in next year's class.

Is anyone going to cornell and columbia revisits, and if so, which events are you going to at each?

Is anyone going to cornell and columbia revisits, and if so, which events are you going to at each?
I answered your other thread but in case you didn't see, I'm going to both. I'm going to all the Columbia events and all the Cornell events plus the chat, bowling, and Met visit options. I'm looking forward to it!

im just trying to work out the two revisits because columbia didnt list their events hour by hour or is there a schedule somewhere???

im just trying to work out the two revisits because columbia didnt list their events hour by hour or is there a schedule somewhere???

No there's no schedule that I know of but Columbia revisit email said the events should end by 2pm Friday, giving us enough time to head over to Cornell just in time for the 3pm check-in

No there's no schedule that I no of but Columbia revisit email said the events should end by 2pm Friday, giving us enough time to head over to Cornell just in time for the 3pm check-in

I thought the COrnell checkin was at 1? Hmm maybe I'm mistaken. I'll check.

Turns out that I will be able to come to part of the revisit weekend, so I'm looking forward to meeting y'all.

I thought the COrnell checkin was at 1? Hmm maybe I'm mistaken. I'll check.

Turns out that I will be able to come to part of the revisit weekend, so I'm looking forward to meeting y'all.

Check-in seems to be any time between 1pm and 3:30pm

Which days are you coming supersleuth?

Check-in seems to be any time between 1pm and 3:30pm

Which days are you coming supersleuth?

Friday and the first half of saturday...I need to be back in boston by about 6 or 7 on Saturday

I like all the Boston representing here. I was just checking out the Red Sox schedule. Anybody up for some good ol' fashioned Yankees thrashing on Aug 28/29??

I like all the Boston representing here. I was just checking out the Red Sox schedule. Anybody up for some good ol' fashioned Yankees thrashing on Aug 28/29??

LOL. Get ready to lose the division for the millionth year in a row.

LOL. Get ready to lose the division for the millionth year in a row.

Hey man, as a Bostonian ready to transplant myself to new york, I'm gonna have to keep the faith. Being a BoSox fan means that depite all odds - even the most depressing stats and liklihood of winning - you still root for the team, because maybe, just maybe, the team will pull through. :p :p :p

Sounds a bit like med school admissions, doesn't it? :p

Hey man, as a Bostonian ready to transplant myself to new york, I'm gonna have to keep the faith. Being a BoSox fan means that depite all odds - even the most depressing stats and liklihood of winning - you still root for the team, because maybe, just maybe, the team will pull through. :p :p :p

Sounds a bit like med school admissions, doesn't it? :p

I think you will find NY more welcoming to Red Sox fans than you think. Yankees fans really don't hate RedSox fans the way they hate us, we merely pity them, and consider some of them mildly pathetic as human beings. But you won't have to worry about being assaulted if you're wearing a Red Sox shirt. On the other hand, when wearing my Yankees hat in Boston, I thought I might get killed.

I think you will find NY more welcoming to Red Sox fans than you think. Yankees fans really don't hate RedSox fans the way they hate us, we merely pity them, and consider some of them mildly pathetic as human beings. But you won't have to worry about being assaulted if you're wearing a Red Sox shirt. On the other hand, when wearing my Yankees hat in Boston, I thought I might get killed.

Haha, thanks for the pity vote Towelie. I'm so glad you can welcome me into your good graces as I am but a lowly Bosox fan.

Sox fans will probably kill you. But only out of the goodness of their heart. They just don't want you to have to live as a Yankees fan.

(Disclaimer: I don't mean anything I say, I just enjoy the argument. I'm actually a really nice guy and I'm excited to go to school with you next year.)

Haha, thanks for the pity vote Towelie. I'm so glad you can welcome me into your good graces as I am but a lowly Bosox fan.

Sox fans will probably kill you. But only out of the goodness of their heart. They just don't want you to have to live as a Yankees fan.

(Disclaimer: I don't mean anything I say, I just enjoy the argument. I'm actually a really nice guy and I'm excited to go to school with you next year.)

Towelie, are you for sure going to cornell? I most likely am, and I'm also looking forward to being classmates with you...even if you happen to sell out to the lowly NY Yankees.:p :p

Seriously though...Weill Cornell is going to rock:D

Anyone know anything about an MD/MPH program? I thought the dean mentioned that once we are accepted to the MD program we can apply to do a joint MPH with Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia...anyone know some details?

Towelie, are you for sure going to cornell? I most likely am, and I'm also looking forward to being classmates with you...even if you happen to sell out to the lowly NY Yankees.:p :p

Seriously though...Weill Cornell is going to rock:D

I'm not sure about anything right now, and my final decision will probably come down to cost (I'm poor) and where my wife wants to go. But I did like Cornell way better than any other NY school, and would love to attend school so close to home.

Anyone else get that email about the new global health program created from a grant from the NIH? They're collaborating between Ithaca and Weill for it. It sounds really interesting. I've always had an interest in public health and global health, so I thought it sounded like a great program. I really like Cornell's emphasis on travel.

Hey guys,

anyone else filling out the financial aid information? I'm having to do most of it by correspondence, or my parents are filling it out (I'm 16 hours ahead of you guys in Sydney). My mom said the need access is grossly tedious...about an hour a page. Just checking to see we aren't missing anything, or that others are having as tough of a time as we are.

Oh yeah, and again, have a great time at the revisit weekend. I'll be there in spirit.........:-(

Ciao,
Diego

Hey Cornell acceptees! Question ...

I have heard from innumerable people that you really really really should pick a school that is strictly p-f for at least year one, and ideally year 2 as well. Cornell seems terrific in so many ways, but I'm worried that the lack of strict-pass/fail is not ideal. I'm also worried that with the option of doing better than just a "pass," I (and everyone) would always being studying overboard trying to reach that top mark, and it would just lead to way too much stress. I've heard that when there is strictly pass-fail, people are much more cooperative and relaxed and the atmosphere is much less intense.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Hey Cornell acceptees! Question ...

I have heard from innumerable people that you really really really should pick a school that is strictly p-f for at least year one, and ideally year 2 as well. Cornell seems terrific in so many ways, but I'm worried that the lack of strict-pass/fail is not ideal. I'm also worried that with the option of doing better than just a "pass," I (and everyone) would always being studying overboard trying to reach that top mark, and it would just lead to way too much stress. I've heard that when there is strictly pass-fail, people are much more cooperative and relaxed and the atmosphere is much less intense.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

My thoughts are this:

Residencies don't care about pre-clinical grades, as long as you pass. So you shouldn't care either. Strict P/F or not is meaningless. Stress is what you make of it.

I have a good friend from undergrad who's an MS1 at Cornell this year, and she has never breathed one word to me about anything being not chill there with the grading system. I'm pretty sure that she would be the type to let me know if it were bad, too, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Also, their "triple jump" system for finals seems like the most laid-back and possibly even fun thing I have ever heard of (as far as finals go).

I have a good friend from undergrad who's an MS1 at Cornell this year, and she has never breathed one word to me about anything being not chill there with the grading system. I'm pretty sure that she would be the type to let me know if it were bad, too, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Also, their "triple jump" system for finals seems like the most laid-back and possibly even fun thing I have ever heard of (as far as finals go).

Oh cool ... what is the triple jump system? Thanks ...

Oh cool ... what is the triple jump system? Thanks ...

As far as I understand it, the Triple Jump is a PBL-based final exam, where you do a written PBL, get criticism/discuss with your PBL group, and then do a sort of "oral defense." Sounds kinda fun, but I'm really not sure of the details.

Any current students wish to fill in the details? This seems really unique to Cornell.

I am a current cornell student. Triple jump is very chill. I have never had such a low key exam period., We all have lives. I wouldn't worry about the grading. It is meaningless. Our match list this year was awesome and most of the people that got Honors and AOA didn't match in the most competitive things. They were interested in less competitive things and ended up doing that. The moral of the story is average students here got what they wanted and where (like ortho and MGH, or derm here, stanford, plastic surgery, urology at John's Hopkins). The difference between someone who got Honors and not is very small. I wouldn't sweat it. People got what they wanted. First term we did nothing and went out every night. Seriously. We were laughing at our friends at Columbia. Now we have work, but it is manageable and I am learning. I can easily do the cases. I can go to complex talks and am on the same page.

All the votes are in and it's looking like Cornell for me! Hey everyone.

I'll be at second look on Friday only, so I'll be able to report on the proceedings.

All the votes are in and it's looking like Cornell for me! Hey everyone.

I'll be at second look on Friday only, so I'll be able to report on the proceedings.

Same here! We should start a facebook group.

looks i'll be another redsox fan in NY come the fall....bbabul, im with you if we can find tickets for the 28th/29th...although i must confess that i will be behind homeplate at fenway park with a yankees s**k sign the weekend after visiting cornell....sweet

looks i'll be another redsox fan in NY come the fall....bbabul, im with you if we can find tickets for the 28th/29th...although i must confess that i will be behind homeplate at fenway park with a yankees s**k sign the weekend after visiting cornell....sweet

Yeah, I'm jealous. I'll be looking for you on TV. And if we can't find tickets to the actual game I have no problem watching it in a bar. What could go wrong?

Anyone know anything about an MD/MPH program? I thought the dean mentioned that once we are accepted to the MD program we can apply to do a joint MPH with Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia...anyone know some details?

Yeah I would like to know more about this as well. I swear I'm not crazy and I found an article that talked about two Cornell students winning awards to complete their MPH at Columbia. Of course, now I cannot find it! I also tried calling both Columbia's School of Public Health and Cornell Weill and they both seemed pretty confused and had never heard of anyone doing this. :confused: Anyone with any thoughts on this?

You sure can. Dr. Finkel runs it. If you want to do it, it is pretty much a guarantee. You can also do one year at Harvard School of Public Health or another school in Australia. There is also a joint MD-MBA program at Cornell. Also, FYI, they don't tell you this until you get here. Those that want to do TR-I MD-PhD that were not admitted or did not apply, can apply after their first year. They are usually admitted with funding. Plus, reg MD students can take the MD/PhD science core which is super interesting. They have all the bigshots from Rockefeller, MSK come and talk about their new and recent stuff or critical analyses of current in the field stuff. These are small discussion seminars. Get tons of interaction with them.

Yeah I would like to know more about this as well. I swear I'm not crazy and I found an article that talked about two Cornell students winning awards to complete their MPH at Columbia. Of course, now I cannot find it! I also tried calling both Columbia's School of Public Health and Cornell Weill and they both seemed pretty confused and had never heard of anyone doing this. :confused: Anyone with any thoughts on this?

You sure can. Dr. Finkel runs it. If you want to do it, it is pretty much a guarantee. You can also do one year at Harvard School of Public Health or another school in Australia. There is also a joint MD-MBA program at Cornell. Also, FYI, they don't tell you this until you get here. Those that want to do TR-I MD-PhD that were not admitted or did not apply, can apply after their first year. They are usually admitted with funding. Plus, reg MD students can take the MD/PhD science core which is super interesting. They have all the bigshots from Rockefeller, MSK come and talk about their new and recent stuff or critical analyses of current in the field stuff. These are small discussion seminars. Get tons of interaction with them.

Do you know the details of Cornell's MD/MBA program? How easy/difficult is it to get into their business school? What sort of business experience is required and do we have to take the GMATs to apply? Thanks a lot

No business experience is really required. I think being in the MD program is enough. You do have to take the GMAT, but your medical school courses count towards one of the years so it is done in a year. There is funding somewhere for it. Ask Dr. Miller. He knows about it. Assoc. Dean of Student Affairs. Super nice guy.

Do you know the details of Cornell's MD/MBA program? How easy/difficult is it to get into their business school? What sort of business experience is required and do we have to take the GMATs to apply? Thanks a lot

No business experience is really required. I think being in the MD program is enough. You do have to take the GMAT, but your medical school courses count towards one of the years so it is done in a year. There is funding somewhere for it. Ask Dr. Miller. He knows about it. Assoc. Dean of Student Affairs. Super nice guy.

Thanks. I'll bring it up during the second look.

Dr. Miller. He knows about it. Assoc. Dean of Student Affairs. Super nice guy.

He was my interviewer. Best interview yet. We talked for over an hour. He's going to get an iPhone too. I would if I didn't have Verizon...

Anyone else get that email about the new global health program created from a grant from the NIH? They're collaborating between Ithaca and Weill for it. It sounds really interesting. I've always had an interest in public health and global health, so I thought it sounded like a great program. I really like Cornell's emphasis on travel.

There are major initiatives afoot, and many that have been long-standing.

Some longstanding clinical programs are
-GHESKIO in Haiti (first cases of HIV in the tropics reported, first large ARV trials in tropics, rehydration therapy invented [all NEJM articles])
-Brazil (leptospirosis epidemiology, research, and vaccines have resulted)
-a few others

New clinical programs
-New Cornell-Bugundo, Tanzania medical school, with emphasis on building internal human health resource infrastructure (physicians, nurses), as well as working on nutrition and basic science for issues relevant to locale

-Millennium Cities Initiative/Earth Institute partnership to send Cornell students to do needs assessments and other service in east and west africa

-Sub-Saharan Africa Initiative that engages Ithaca (nutrition, agriculture, engineering) and the medical school in new development projects

All of these programs are funded internally, and there are quite a few other opportunities that weren't mentioned. There is a major focus on neglected disease research and clinical initiatives, with high student and faculty support. And, of course, pursuing a formal MPH is not a problem (funding is more complicated for that).

-antinomian

Open bar Friday night?? What could go wrong??

Open bar Friday night?? What could go wrong??

As we've seen from other threads, quite a lot. :laugh:

...and why is this thread still on the first page? Are people not excited??