To ppl who took MCAT and got scores: How many questions did you know you missed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Depends on curve... but anyone have any good stories... such as missing a couple of questions and still getting a high score (kind of like a curve inbetween kaplan and AAMC)

For ex, I know as a fact... that I missed 4 PS questions (who knows what else I missed) =(

It'd be interesting to know... perhaps someone missed 10 and got a 12 still... just to give us some hope that the curve works :p

edit:

something interesting I found when looking for threads on curves
The tests do have non-static difficulty. Some tests are just plain harder than others. This does not mean that they intended it that way, or are out to get you or anything, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. On May 25th I happened to get a very difficult Physical Sciences section. I know for a fact that I missed >4* (double-checked all my answers at home with a physics book), yet I still got a 14. So it shows that there is indeed a curve, because on some forms you can miss more and get the same score.

Either way, they're not intentionally trying to screw you. All the MCAT exams are difficult. The curve is built-in, and regardless of the difficulty of the test you should score around where your AAMC diagnostics point you to.

*however, to add to the ambiguity, some may have been experimental questions and thus not counted towards my total score.

Members don't see this ad.

The RPedigo quote may not take into consideration that he may have missed what are considered to be "test" MCAT questions. Questions that don't count for/against your score and are in a field trial so to speak for possible inclusion in a future MCAT.

According to one of my TPR instructors, they have these questions in the MCAT.

The RPedigo quote may not take into consideration that he may have missed what are considered to be "test" MCAT questions. Questions that don't count for/against your score and are in a field trial so to speak for possible inclusion in a future MCAT.

According to one of my TPR instructors, they have these questions in the MCAT.

I'm not really convinced that they do anymore. There's only 52 questions on the PS/BS, that doesn't leave much room to standardize a curve over thousands of test takers AND have 'experimental' questions.

I know for a fact that I missed 1 question on the BS. I'm confident that if I got that question I would have had a 15 on BS.

I'm not really convinced that they do anymore. There's only 52 questions on the PS/BS, that doesn't leave much room to standardize a curve over thousands of test takers AND have 'experimental' questions.

I know for a fact that I missed 1 question on the BS. I'm confident that if I got that question I would have had a 15 on BS.

Wow... bad curve then.. assuming that's the only one you got wrong

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm curious how you know for a fact you only missed 1 question...did you have a chance to see your raw scores or something?

I'm curious how you know for a fact you only missed 1 question...did you have a chance to see your raw scores or something?

No, but I had gotten good enough at knowing how well I was doing on the practice exams that I could guess my raw score most of the time. Plus, its rare that a '14' in BS is missing anything more than 2-3 questions. I'm pretty sure that my particular BS section (which wasn't particularly hard) was curved very harshly. Of course I could be wrong, but who knows?

BS: know i missed 10-11, ended up with 10 on section
PS: Know i missed 5-6, ended up w 13 on section
VR: never really know but always got 9s, ended up with 9 on section

I'd say the curve is a lil more forgiving than the aamc one.. but not much.

BS: I knew I missed around 4, got a 12 on the section.
PS: Thought I missed 1. Got a 14.
VR: I'm not sure... I was unsure on maybe 5-6 questions. Ended with a 10, so evidently I missed a lot.

There is no way to be sure about how much you missed. I don't care how smart, or how much of a genius you are, especially not on a test like the MCAT. To the OP, I would tell you to add four or five on each section to the number of questions these guys think they missed and that might give you a more accurate range.

Definitely agree with mterp45. There is almost no way of knowing for a fact that you got something wrong. They only way you can know is if you leave something blank.

Definitely agree with mterp45. There is almost no way of knowing for a fact that you got something wrong. They only way you can know is if you leave something blank.

Sure there's no way to *really* know...but I'm pretty darned confident that I didn't miss a single question on the PS. I was very, very confident on every answer...I finished the section with 15mins left over and checked every answer twice.

I think that you can have a decent idea of how many missed if you scored in the higher ranges. When you don't though, then yeah, I'd agree, its pretty impossible to know.

Like VR, I have no idea how many I missed, and I know that I wasn't confident on it at all.

But for PS and BS, I'm pretty sure...

BS: know i missed 10-11, ended up with 10 on section
PS: Know i missed 5-6, ended up w 13 on section
VR: never really know but always got 9s, ended up with 9 on section

I'd say the curve is a lil more forgiving than the aamc one.. but not much.

thanks for giving us hope

From what Vihsadas was saying, his test was on par with the AAMCs... no surprises, nothing weird... so it makes sense that he was able to figure out what he got wrong

I had the ability to do this as well with the AAMC PS section (not the BS though).. I would mark a couple of questions (normally 4 or so).. near the end of my prep .. and worst case scenario, I would get them all wrong.

However, during the real deal, my stress level was not high... but the sciences were definitely harder than any AAMC. Way more ambiguous questions... way more Math. The amount of dimensional analysis I had to do was disgusting... formulas did not help you. I had to arrive at answers for approx. 5-6 questions by using dimensional analysis alone... it's not very hard... but I can see it really affecting people who may know their physics and chemistry but aren't used to the intuition needed to bag questions using dimensional analysis... especially under timed situations.

bozz - what do you mean by dimensional analysis?

As Bozz said, this is using the units of the variables/quantities you are given to arrive at the answer. On the MCAT this can be a very poweful technique for a number of the chemistry and physics problems. Here's an example:

Often you'll get a passage that gives you some new formulas that apply to a specific situation. Let's say...an electron passing through a curved plate capacitor: You might be given some novel equations that deal with the velocity, energy, etc. of the electron. Then you'll get a question which says something like:

"Which of the following expressions describes the force that is applied to the electron?"

The answer choices will all be expressions containing variables and quantities that are in the passage. Now, there are two ways to attempt these types of problems:

1) Figure out how the formulas that were given in the passage (usually complicated) and the formulas that you know from your studying fit together and eventually simplify down to one of the answer choices. This usually requires some tedious algebra, and also understanding of the equations themselves. This is the slow way.

2) What is funny about the MCAT is that questions like the one above, will often be structured so that every single answer choice will have different units! :D Since the question asks for an expression of force, one of the answer choices must have the units of force (kg*m/s^2). If you realize this, you can easily exploit dimensional analysis to arrive at the correct answer.

You just take 20 seconds to check the units of each answer choice, and then answer that has the units of force must be the right answer. Et Voila! Done in under 30 seconds...

On the MCAT board, when I harp about learning to do problems "in the most efficient, quickest way possible, using the least amount of paperwork and math", this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. :)

As Bozz said, this is using the units of the variables/quantities you are given to arrive at the answer. On the MCAT this can be a very poweful technique for a number of the chemistry and physics problems. Here's an example:

Often you'll get a passage that gives you some new formulas that apply to a specific situation. Let's say...an electron passing through a curved plate capacitor: You might be given some novel equations that deal with the velocity, energy, etc. of the electron. Then you'll get a question which says something like:

"Which of the following expressions describes the force that is applied to the electron?"

The answer choices will all be expressions containing variables and quantities that are in the passage. Now, there are two ways to attempt these types of problems:

1) Figure out how the formulas that were given in the passage (usually complicated) and the formulas that you know from your studying fit together and eventually simplify down to one of the answer choices. This usually requires some tedious algebra, and also understanding of the equations themselves. This is the slow way.

2) What is funny about the MCAT is that questions like the one above, will often be structured so that every single answer choice will have different units! :D Since the question asks for an expression of force, one of the answer choices must have the units of force (kg*m/s^2). If you realize this, you can easily exploit dimensional analysis to arrive at the correct answer.

You just take 20 seconds to check the units of each answer choice, and then answer that has the units of force must be the right answer. Et Voila! Done in under 30 seconds...

On the MCAT board, when I harp about learning to do problems "in the most efficient, quickest way possible, using the least amount of paperwork and math", this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. :)

this is very helpful advice, I have not been paying to much attention to units, more to formulas, perhaps i need to change that, thanks!!!!!

Yeah, also this comes in handy when a passage gives you a bunch of physical data and asks you to solve for something (eg, volume, density, molarity). It is much easier just to use units than to try to recall all the equations or really spend much time contemplating what you're doing. I felt like the "real deal" involved much, much more dimensional analysis than any practice tests (or maybe I just differed to it because I was so nervous..)

I felt the 1/26 test had about 10-15 problems involving either qualification (eg, which of the following calculations gives you the correct variable, basically as in your example) or quantification (eg, you are given a bunch of physical data, and need to pick and choose which ones to use in order to find an unknown)