30+ MCAT study habits???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

confewshz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I like to get fresh perspectives. For those who got 30+ MCAT scores(SouthernGirl, beanbean, JScrusader, Samoa, nero, and anyone else who has a 30+ MCAT score), can you post the following information please? It would be greatly appreciated.

1) Your individual scores and composite score

2) The study method used for each section

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

4) Which practice tests did you use?

5) What was your undergraduate major?

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Thanks guys and congrats to everyone who recently took the MCAT :clap: ,

confewshz

Members don't see this ad.

Hey congrats to those who killed the beast and my sincere sympathy to those who did not; eventually you will. Please for those of you with scores of 30+, kindly share your methods.

Sept 8th, 2007, 10 PS, 11VR, 10BS, P ws

2) The study method used for each section?
I reviewed the material with EK books, and then took practice tests
3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
I used mostly EK books, but honestly i think every test company gives you the same info, its just your job to pick up on it and use it,
A lot
AAMC 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10: 30,29,32,35,34,33,34,34
I also used some Gold standard CBTS- My scores were usually about 25-29 on those.

Chemistry

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Take lots of tests and answer lots of questions. I personally didnt use EK 1001 books, but ive heard good things about them. O, and as for why my average was alot higher than my real, i couldnt tell you, I actually felt fairly decent that i had scored a 33-35 on the real test, but it just goes to show ya. Ive heard things that taking it at the end of summer, means the curve was harder, but i also recently heard that it doesnt matter, because they dont curve you against the ppl that took it taht day, but rather they curve you aggainst previous test takers.
EHH, 2.5-3 months. 1 month hard core. Probably 1.5 hours a day the first month and half, and 2-3 hours a day reviewing material and doing practice questions the last month.

12 PS / 8 VR / 11 BS / Q = 31Q

PS - Read the chapters in Kaplan's 2007-2008 Comprehensive Study Guide and did the corresponding Kaplan subject and discrete tests.

VR - Did all the passages in EK 101's VR book. Did some Kaplan passages from their section tests as well but didn't find them too useful. Best resource for VR is the EK 101 book and the VR sections in AAMC's practice tests.

WS - Just wrote essays in 2-3 of the AAMC practice tests. Didn't spend too much time at all in this section.

BS - Read the chapters in Kaplan's 2007-2008 Comprehensive Study Guide and did the corresponding Kaplan subject and discrete tests.

PS - Kaplan 2007-2008 Comprehensive Study Guide, Kaplan subject and discrete tests
VR - EK 101 Book, Kaplan Section Tests
WS - AAMC practice exam prompts
BS - Kaplan 2007-2008 Comprehensive Study Guide, Kaplan subject and discrete tests

AAMC CBT 3-10

Biochemistry / Biology

1. Take the AAMC CBT practice tests, timed!!
2. Don't take practice tests until you've learned all the material.
3. Even though my VR score is low, I was able to improve late in my VR scores when I concentrated less on the 'technique' of reading and more on understanding what the author is saying.

3 months.

Members don't see this ad :)

11V/15PS/14BS - 40Q

PS - didn't study (sorry to say so - not very helpful). I have a degree in mathematics and after taking gen chem & physics I found the section straightforward. DO NOT memorize formulas - learn how/why they work and you won't make mistakes. If you know how to derive/work with the formulas, you can approach new questions much better.

VR - Princeton Review helped me a lot on this - Verbal score is directly related to amount of practice. I couldn't crack a 12 more than once on the AAMC's, just wanted to survive this section with a 10, 11 was all I could ask for. Learn how to be horrendously skeptical of every answer - have a conversation with yourself but move quickly.

WS - Didn't spend a second of time specifically on writing - who cares about it? As long as you can write a reasonable paragraph or two you'll be fine. My prompts blew on the actual, I scored better on PR graded essays.

BS - Studied up on the weird things I wasn't taught in class (microbio especially). I had a great bio prof (only took bio 1 & 2 before the MCAT) that prepared us really well. I have to blame him for the bio part. For orgo, I studied up on terminology and the ridiculous functional groups they ask you about - had to become a really good guesser b/c I did orgo 1 & 2 in 7 weeks and didn't get nearly as much detail out of it.

I used the PR books for bio/orgo sections to go over. I also did every Verbal passage I could get my hands on.

AAMC's (all of them)
Princeton Review (all of them)

B.S. Mathematics
B.A. Economics

Take every test, from day one, under real conditions.
Do every practice test you can get your hands on - don't re-do old ones and convince yourself you're getting a 45.
Plan on only taking this exam ONCE - kill yourself leading up to it so you won't have to do it again.

I crammed hardcore for 2 weeks, BUT I did all the pre-req classes in the year leading up to the exam - so I don't feel that's an accurate description of how much effort I spent. I sat 3 weeks after my orgo final and about 3 months after my bio, physics, and gen chem finals - so it was all fresh in my head.

What is your graduate major?

11V/15PS/14BS - 40Q

PS - didn't study (sorry to say so - not very helpful). I have a degree in mathematics and after taking gen chem & physics I found the section straightforward. DO NOT memorize formulas - learn how/why they work and you won't make mistakes. If you know how to derive/work with the formulas, you can approach new questions much better.

VR - Princeton Review helped me a lot on this - Verbal score is directly related to amount of practice. I couldn't crack a 12 more than once on the AAMC's, just wanted to survive this section with a 10, 11 was all I could ask for. Learn how to be horrendously skeptical of every answer - have a conversation with yourself but move quickly.

WS - Didn't spend a second of time specifically on writing - who cares about it? As long as you can write a reasonable paragraph or two you'll be fine. My prompts blew on the actual, I scored better on PR graded essays.

BS - Studied up on the weird things I wasn't taught in class (microbio especially). I had a great bio prof (only took bio 1 & 2 before the MCAT) that prepared us really well. I have to blame him for the bio part. For orgo, I studied up on terminology and the ridiculous functional groups they ask you about - had to become a really good guesser b/c I did orgo 1 & 2 in 7 weeks and didn't get nearly as much detail out of it.

I used the PR books for bio/orgo sections to go over. I also did every Verbal passage I could get my hands on.

AAMC's (all of them)
Princeton Review (all of them)

B.S. Mathematics
B.A. Economics

Take every test, from day one, under real conditions.
Do every practice test you can get your hands on - don't re-do old ones and convince yourself you're getting a 45.
Plan on only taking this exam ONCE - kill yourself leading up to it so you won't have to do it again.

I crammed hardcore for 2 weeks, BUT I did all the pre-req classes in the year leading up to the exam - so I don't feel that's an accurate description of how much effort I spent. I sat 3 weeks after my orgo final and about 3 months after my bio, physics, and gen chem finals - so it was all fresh in my head.

YAY I get to join this POST! I finally made it, woohoO! LOL

MCAT Breakdown
30R: 10PS 10VR 10BS

Study Method
Began studying for the dreaded MCAT during my junior summer. I studied for 3 months, taking notes and doing practice problems as I read through the materials. I also took a Kaplan course at USC. The course was helpful--it was taught by my fellow friend who scored a 38 on her MCAT. The class helped me stay on track and motivated.

PS: brushed up on concepts for 1.5 months and hardcore problem solving for the remain 1.5 months
VR: I was absolutely terrible with verbal. I began with a dismal 5 (diagnostic + Kaplan FL-1), but I knew a 5 was not an indicator of my intelligence. Verbal is extremely hard to improve, but I was able to bring it up to a consistent 8-10 through repeated practices with EK and Kaplan workbooks.
BS: I just read and did a lot of practice problems. BS is not about memorization, it's about application. Taking physiology with professor Hererra at USC really helped me. Take his physiology class if you can if you go to USC; he'll challenge you like no other, but you'll feel rewarded and prepared afterwards.
WS: Practiced with each practice test. Don't worry too much about it.

Materials used
Kaplan, EK, Berkeley Review, and Nova Physics

Practice Tests
Kaplan
Diagnostic: 20 (don't fret about diagnostic score. You can IMPROVE and most likely will!)
FL1: 10PS 5VR 10BS (25)
FL2: 11PS 9VR 12BS (32)
FL3: 9PS 10VR 11BS (30)
FL4: 10PS 10VR 13BS (33)

AAMC
CBT6: 12PS 9VR 12BS (33)
CBT7: 9PS 9VR 11BS (29, 1st AAMC test and it freaked me out after scoring 30-33Kaplan)
CBT8: 12PS 7VR 11BS (30)

In retrospect, I should have taken more practice tests. I knew I was capable of scoring +33, but did not put forth the effort to do so. I was afraid of taking practice tests because: (1) it was time consuming, but more importantly, (2) I was afraid of the score. I was afraid that I might fall into my sister's footstep. She was not good with the MCAT. I attribute this to her study habit, because she's an amazingly bright person. With this said, TAKE PRACTICE TESTS! Take as many as you can. I think what helped me more than anything is going over the practice test with a fine comb. I re-did every problem that I got wrong. I would write down: why I missed the problem and how I could correct my problem in the future.

Undergraduate Major
Biological Sciences with minor in East Asian studies.

Tips
TAKE THIS TEST SERIOUSLY! It's not a test where you can walk in and pray that there will be some heavenly intervention that will help you own the test. This is a critical thinking test that involves a lot of reasoning and deduction. Time management is also key. Try to keep your nerves checked during the test. As I mentioned before, take a ton of practice tests! Do as many practice problems as you can. You can never do enough of them. I promise you they will help you more than just re-reading a book. This may not apply to everyone, but try to not be TOO confident or cocky after a test. I find it that when I think I did well, I tend to do worse and the opposite is equally true. The MCAT is a smart test; it knows how to trick you. Good luck to everyone. Feel free to contact me [email protected] if you have questions.

***On a side note, I'm still debating if I should retake the test. Is there a big difference between a 30 and lets say a 31-33 (my practice test range)? I'm not sure if I should gamble with a retake. I'm worried that my VR might drop. Is a minimal +1-2pts on my overall score worth it? Advice is much appreciate thanks and good luck to everyone!

34Q (9 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS), July 13th, 2007 examination

PS:
Reviewed physics and general chemistry content with one of those Kaplan review books, took practice exams, and made sure to throughly go over the results to see why I got the questions wrong that I did. If I felt I wasn't getting enough detail, or that the Kaplan books didn't go a good job explaining a particular topic, I'd use my college text books. My low PS score on the actual examination was due to nervousness and barely finishing the section on time.

VR: I did practice exams, but didn't actively study for VR. I do a good deal of reading, whether it be for school or my own enjoyment, across varied subjects. I think it helps, but wasn't something I did with the intention of helping my VR score.

WS: Didn't prepare for the writing sample because .. welll .. it's the writing sample.

BS: Plenty of practice exams, and used review books / college texts for organic chemistry. I didn't really study for the biology portion of the exam.

AAMC practice tests, Kaplan review books, and college texts

All of the AAMC practice tests.

Undergraduate: Biology and Psychology
Graduate: Biomedical Science

While it is important, and necessary, to "study hard", it is more important, and of greater necessity, to "study smart". Not all time spent studying is equal.

Both content review and practice tests are needed to do well, but practice tests will serve you better. Not just do they help you with your test taking skills and give you a familiarity with the types of questions they ask, they help you find your weak points. Like many people, the biology portion of BS was very easy for me, so my time was better spent working on organic chemistry. Focus on your weak areas and what you need to know. Make sure you know the high yield topics, things that are almost guaranteed to show up. IR absorption spectra, for example, is going to show up in one form or another, and is worth devoting some time to. In contrast, anatomy, while it pops up now and then, isn't nearly as high yield and shouldn't take up much of your study time.

Don't get discouraged if you are not happy with your score. Many people retake the exam, and do better. My score is in fact a retake.

2 months. I originally scheduled myself closer to 3 months but rescheduled my test date to an earlier date because I felt I was ready at that moment, and additional time wouldn't be of any real help.

PS - 12, BS - 12, V - 9, Writing - R, 33R

First month just went over all the material. I read all the sections and did the practice sets and questions for each section. I didn't really time myself until the next month when I started doing the practice tests.

I studied off of all of the berkeley review books and the Examkrackers set.

I did a couple of the Berkeley Review practice tests and all of the paper AAMC practices tests (3-7). I also did the practice test that was included with the ExamKrackers set.

Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology

Basically, just make a study schedule, and stick with it. Give yourself ample time. If you're planning on studying 5 hours a day and you only do 4, then study for 6 hours the next day (if you have the time). And also, personally, I could not study in my apartment, so I'd find a consistent study spot to go to (Border's, library, etc.). And practice, practice, practice. This is especially true for verbal, I don't think I practiced enough, which is why I may be taking the test again this January.

I studied an average of about 5-6 hours a day for about two months.

good luck

34R (12PS, 9V, 13BS - Sept 7th, 2007)

PS:

Examkrackers lecture books & Audio osmosis. Also used someone else's discarded princeton review books for greater detail in physics (magnetism, electricity- also helped me prepare for class tests). MUCH prefer examkrackers, thought the review books were great, just needed some supplemental information from the DETAILED princeton books because we barely touched a few things in class and Examkracker books do seem to require a fair past knowledge. Used examkrackers 1001 books (which were decent) and Princeton review workbooks (which I feel were good practice, glad someone who didn't use them in the class donated them to me).

VR: Examkrackers Verbal lecture, Examkrackers verbal 101. I thought they were great tool, found some free practice LSAT verbal passages online and did those as well. I thought Examkrackers stuff was great, but I never could break a 10 (started much lower though)

WS: Nothing, Did one, maybe two. Figured I write fairly well, and it didn't mean much to my score

BS: Examkrackers lecture, osmosis, and 1001 question. 1001 question book was awesome for bio, 1001 orgo was decent. Again, used princeton practice workbook for additional passages.

See number 2. I used all the examkrackers stuff and loved it. I was able to get someone's used (barely) princeton review class books and those were great to get into once in awhile. I also had a Barron's MCAT book that I took a practice test or two from but it seemed a bit easy.

All of the AAMC practice tests, might've skipped #7

Biology with finace minor & neuroscience minor (hadn't yet begun classes for it at time of MCAT however).

Relax a bit, but STAY focused. Try not to burn out. I decided to take physics between my sophmore and junior year, study for the MCATs all summer along with physics, then take in september (so I took it early compared to classmates). Pretty glad I did this, a lot of stress has been taken off. I burned myself out a few times (donating a summer to class and MCAT sucked), but bounced back after a few days off. Don't give up, visualize what you want. Don't go out drinking and partying. Don't lose friends, definitely go out and be social, but don't over do it. I had a couple big events (lollapalooza festival) to look forward to and provide me with a break every so often. Dedicate yourself, but try to enjoy it! Sometimes it's fun!

Began before the end of school year, finished mid august and just did practice tests from there out... so maybe 4 months. Some days just a couple (or 0 hours), others upwards of 6.

Hello to everyone out there who has already taken their MCATs. The test dates for 2008 have just been anounced and I had an idea, I would just like some opinions from people who have been there before.

I am a college junior right now and was planning to take my MCAT in april like everyone else. Well, I went to the AAMC website and saw that the test was also going to be administered at the end of january.

My thought was this...

I get out of fall semester December 22nd....
Enjoy my Christmas season....
Start studying for my MCAT Monday December 31st...
Spend the next 25 days studying for the test...
Hours/day would be 9 "study hours",

(Basically it would be 3, 3 hour chunks each day monday through friday. Each 3 hour chunk being devoted to one section of the MCATs. Basically it would amount to studying for each of the 3 sections for 3 hours per day.)

The above is mon-fri. Saturdays would be dedicated to taking 2 practice tests per saturday.... about 10 hours. Sundays would be days for rest.

The day before the MCAT, spend doing absolutely nothing MCAT related.

Finally, take the test 25 days later.

I know this would take a ton of discipline, but does anyone out there believe that a successful score can result from basically 3 1/2 weeks of 9hours/day studying.

I would welcome any comments/concerns.

By the way.... My diagnostic was a 23

Have you taken the mcat before? This is a whole different beast, and while it can be done, it has to be done extremely efficiently, and so if you havn't taken it before, I worry that you won't know how to effectively study during those 9 hours a day.thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I only took the kaplan diagnostic, no real MCAT yet. I plan on using examkrackers and AAMC practice tests. I know that this test entails changing ones lifestyle lol but i feel like i can do it..... im jsut trying to figure out the most efficient way to use those 3 hour chunks

12VR, 14PS, 15BS (41R)

PS:

I've always been good with physics, so I didn't really study it much. I just looked over the topics and briefly reviewed them. Most of my review is really just taking diagnostic tests.

Chemistry required a lot of studying. Before I took it the first time last year, I actually did every single odd problem(i.e. with solutions) in the gen chem textbook for the chapters we covered. This time around I just did the EK1001 questions. The EK1001 questions were helpful with concepts, but combine it with diagnostics for the best effect.

VR: Didn't really study for it. Did a few diagnostics from Kaplan and AAMC(maybe around 5 or so).

WS: I read a few(3-4) writing samples the day before the exam. That's about it.

BS:
Kaplan book and EK 1001 questions for bio. I pretty much memorized the whole Kaplan bio section, and any parts I needed clarification on I checked with text books and/or online and/or with other exam prep books. I had a word file where I wrote down every single bolded word in Kaplan's book and its definition. I never looked at it again, but I think typing everything down helps you to remember. After a comprehensive review, I did about 600 questions from the EK1001 bio section.

As for Orgo, it's again Kaplan book and EK1001. I memorized the reactions in the Kaplan book, but that's not enough. I went over my old orgo notes but they weren't too helpful as they're too in depth. The EK1001 helped a lot. I did all the problems and they definitely helped me a great deal.

See the above response. EK1001 is helpful for everything, its bio section is ridiculously hard which is good. I didn't try their VR and physics questions, but it was very helpful for gen chem and bio but even more so for orgo.

Kaplan is good as a beginning book as it lays a good foundation, but expect to have to know more than just what's provided on Kaplan.

AAMC's is always good in the end when you put everything together. Helps with test-taking skills as well.

A couple Kaplan's and 3 AAMC's.

Electrical Engineering

Don't stress over it. Study a good deal every day but stress yourself out. When taking diagnostics, don't just focus on the knowledge, but also focus on the type of questions they ask. Test taking skills are also essential to getting a high score, so try to learn them well.

I spent some time here and there when I studied for it last year for my first take(August 06). This year I studied for about a month after summer school ended(9/11/07 take)

40Q: VR-13, PS-14, BS-13
9/16/07

I usually rely on my deductive skills because my memory's not so good, ie. understand concepts so I can derive equations if need be. For the physics, due to my major, I knew most of the concepts so I just read through it and tried to memorize certain formulas (ie optics, mirrors) The chemistry, I also read the prep books. But I spent more time with that. And did some practice problems.

For BS, I definitely memorized a lot of anatomy (never took that kind of course) and organic chemistry I ended up not having enough time to study. So I tried to cram in the SN1, SN2, E1, E2 fundamental stuff. I was using examkrackers and I memorized the all the types of reactions they wanted us to memorize, didn't have time for all the individual mechanisms tho.

For VR, I read through the entire workbook but didn't practice everything. I ended up not studying as much...... and hoped that everything would turn out ok.

For Writing, I'm definitely happy with a Q as I pretty much hate writing essays and didn't practice as much as I should. I just thought of some arguments for prompts without writing a practice essay.

Examkrackers- Organic chem, Bio
Princeton Review- All books (only read thru could not do most practice problems as was tight on time)

free AAMC, 3 older paper versions of practice tests
[/B]
Electrical Engineering[/B][/B]

I had not planned on taking the MCATs this summer. But I changed my mind in the middle and studied about a lil over 2 weeks in total. It was definitely too rushed so I didn't get to everything I wanted to. Definitely don't procrastinate in studying like me. And definitely practice with computerized tests, cuz my eyes started hurting and I was losing concentration at the actual test. I also started panicking during the test because I didn't do enough practice so I didn't know what my bottom scores were.

But I'm sure most ppl would not make last minute decisions like me. So for that, I think one of the most important strategies is still guessing. Like educated guesses. The VR definitely. Because I never thought my English skills were that impressive and over the 4 years of undergrad the only book I've read are science textbooks. I was a bit concerned. But somehow, I can usually narrow down the answer to 2 choices and make the best guess. This approach works well for all the other sections too. I feel like especially in standardized testing this is an important skill to have.

a week + 10 days with a break ~2 weeks between the two (I thought all the dates filled up) I also meant to study day and night those last 10 days but ended up not (I get distracted easily) but at least 6 hrs/day

Hello to everyone out there who has already taken their MCATs. The test dates for 2008 have just been anounced and I had an idea, I would just like some opinions from people who have been there before.

I am a college junior right now and was planning to take my MCAT in april like everyone else. Well, I went to the AAMC website and saw that the test was also going to be administered at the end of january.

My thought was this...

I get out of fall semester December 22nd....
Enjoy my Christmas season....
Start studying for my MCAT Monday December 31st...
Spend the next 25 days studying for the test...
Hours/day would be 9 "study hours",

(Basically it would be 3, 3 hour chunks each day monday through friday. Each 3 hour chunk being devoted to one section of the MCATs. Basically it would amount to studying for each of the 3 sections for 3 hours per day.)

The above is mon-fri. Saturdays would be dedicated to taking 2 practice tests per saturday.... about 10 hours. Sundays would be days for rest.

The day before the MCAT, spend doing absolutely nothing MCAT related.

Finally, take the test 25 days later.

I know this would take a ton of discipline, but does anyone out there believe that a successful score can result from basically 3 1/2 weeks of 9hours/day studying.

I would welcome any comments/concerns.

By the way.... My diagnostic was a 23

it's doable, but i think it takes a lot more than just work. i think you have to already be incredibly bright or simply good with multiple choice tests. i'm not saying that you can't be either, but i definitely wouldn't recommend it for the average joe, even if he had the discipline of a monk.

if your schedule involves studying 10 hours the night before the test, i don't think that's very good.

it also depends on your current familiarity with all the subjects. i mean, reviewing for 3 hours is one thing, but you have to practice passages and discretes regarding the topic which takes another couple of hours plus correcting them and going over your mistakes adds on more time, etc....
i personally don't think anyone can cover a decent chunk of material in three hours unless they have a solid foundation and pretty much know everything already and end up devoting most time to practice. there's also a limit to what you can study if you factor in fatigue. ever read something only to not remember what you've read? well that would be happening once you get to hours 6-9, if you even make it that far. there's a difference between going over one subject for 6-9 hours and 3 subjects for 9 hours. you might remember the first 3 hours really well when you were awake, remember around 60-70% from the next 3 hours, but only 25-50% once you hit the final 3 hours.

keep in mind, EK is extremely condensed and many have used textbooks as references because some concepts are really just glossed over in the EK book.
if you're a solid reader verbal shouldn't be hard, but if you aren't, you should get in as much practice as possible. it is definitely the hardest score to increase.

a 23 is a pretty good diag, but i wouldn't rush the preparation for the mcat. i just don't think it is worth the risk. 1. you might have to take it again, and therefore you wasted all your time. 2. if it's the final piece to your application, why wouldn't you spend more time where you can ensure that you will do well? you don't need a crappy mcat score to ruin your possibly perfect app, even if you do better on a retake. there has a to be a good reason why someone would only want to spend so little time preparing for this test.

33R: VR-10, PS-11, BS-12
9/11/07

nothing really substantial. just read some stuff, did a couple questions. nothing fancy.
verbal i just winged it, and bio i read the kaplan book, and same for PS.

3) kaplan review books and an assortment of other random ones.

none

chemistry and math

This may sound kind of lame to you guys, but I just took a hint from office space and stopped caring so much. Once I didn't really care as much about the test itself, and focused on being as relaxed with the subjects as possible, it became easy. I slept for 10 minutes during bio sci on the actual MCAT, and didn't think of it as much more than a practice test. Just relax...it's just the MCAT...

like 2 months, roughly 1 hr a day, not even maybe.

Can someone please give me some advice. I scored a 25Q and am obviously going to retake in April. I want to start restudying now. I got 9PS, 8BS, 8V. I was not a science major and had to re-study material I had not taken in 4 years (I took most of my pre-med courses freshman and soph year and I just graduated). I think because of this, it might be a little more difficult for me. I really studied hard this summer, but feel that maybe I did not do enough practice tests. I am going to do Kaplan this time around, but would like advice from you mcat experts (30+) on how to increase my score min 3 point and hopefully 5. Thanks.

Anyone re-study and really increase their score? Thanks.

Can someone please give me some advice. I scored a 25Q and am obviously going to retake in April. I want to start restudying now. I got 9PS, 8BS, 8V. I was not a science major and had to re-study material I had not taken in 4 years (I took most of my pre-med courses freshman and soph year and I just graduated). I think because of this, it might be a little more difficult for me. I really studied hard this summer, but feel that maybe I did not do enough practice tests. I am going to do Kaplan this time around, but would like advice from you mcat experts (30+) on how to increase my score min 3 point and hopefully 5. Thanks.

Anyone re-study and really increase their score? Thanks.
I think you answered your own question. Find a review book that you like and learn it inside and out. Then take as many practice tests and questions as you can. Then pray lol. But, you have alot of options with that 25, you could get into some very DO schools if everything else is solid. Just cause you cant do well on the MCAT isnt the end all. Enough perserverance, and youll succeed

I think you answered your own question. Find a review book that you like and learn it inside and out. Then take as many practice tests and questions as you can. Then pray lol. But, you have alot of options with that 25, you could get into some very DO schools if everything else is solid. Just cause you cant do well on the MCAT isnt the end all. Enough perserverance, and youll succeed

I think I am pretty good besides the mcat......I have a 3.7 from Emory and really good extra curriculars throughout college. Right now I am doing cancer research full-time in NYC and am applying to get an MPH next year. As far as the DO thing goes, I do not want to be a DO. I hope this does not offend anyone. I come from a family of MDs (my, dad, my uncle, my bf, my brother) and I want to be an MD. This obviously means that I must do better on the mcat. I am retaking in April, so I was just wondering what good advice you experts can offer me as far as raising my score 3-5 points or more. I am sure it has been done, and I will hopefully do it too. Thanks for your advice :)

I think I am pretty good besides the mcat......I have a 3.7 from Emory and really good extra curriculars throughout college. Right now I am doing cancer research full-time in NYC and am applying to get an MPH next year. As far as the DO thing goes, I do not want to be a DO. I hope this does not offend anyone. I come from a family of MDs (my, dad, my uncle, my bf, my brother) and I want to be an MD. This obviously means that I must do better on the mcat. I am retaking in April, so I was just wondering what good advice you experts can offer me as far as raising my score 3-5 points or more. I am sure it has been done, and I will hopefully do it too. Thanks for your advice :)
In that case you definitely need that 30 then

In that case you definitely need that 30 then

I would like a 30....but I will take a 29 even. I think I am okay otherwise. My point though, was to ask advice as to how to get the 30, not whether or not I actually need it. I appreciate your help though :)

6/07 PS:8, V:10, WS: S, BS: 10 (28S)
8/07 PS:13 V:11, WS: N (wtf, mate), BS: 13 (37N)

Hammer, hammer, hammer the basics with the exception of verbal, which was very freeform (which is to say I just did a passage or ten here and there). Essentially, if I couldn't do it in my head or on paper in under a minute (for PS), I needed more work. As for BS, I just made sure I had a good feel for how things fit together, though I did hammer the orgo.

3) The EK set of books (no 1001) and Kaplan's MCAT 45. No prep course--big waste of time for me as it would not focus specifically on my weak areas, seeing as it's a class...with, you know... multiple people in it. :p

4) The freebie at http://www.e-mcat.com and about 3 questions from another. Mostly, I used the focused sections in MCAT 45 to work on timing and moving from subject to subject (EK has questions all on one topic at a time so it's not very representative, though it does do a good job of establishing a conceptual foundation).

Biolololology

Relax! The cruelest thing you can do to yourself is freak out and bomb the test. When you get in there, you don't have to start right away! Take a minute to get comfortable, relaxed (as much as you can, anyway), pray if you're into that, and then start the test. Remember! Timing is critical and you don't have the time to panic. If you don't know the answer, pick any of the choices, flag, and move on. Don't dwell until you've answered everything else. I must've spent 15 minutes (after I'd done everything else) trying to balance an equation when the simple answer was right in front of me.

The first time around, I'd done some reviewing the previous summer and then about 7 hours a day for a month before the test. As for the second one, I spent about 12 hours a day every day from the day I got my first score back to the day of the next available administration (15 days or so).

Glad to be here :)

BTW, I will preface this by saying that on test day, I thought I bombed it. I didn't think about voiding, but I've been stressing out the past month, thinking I got in the 20's. This proves that first impressions aren't always accurate. Apparently there were a few super hard exams this summer, august 20th included...but they were hard for everyone....so don't VOID or freak out just because it's hard. It's hard for everyone no matter what you score. I think one of the keys to doing well is to remain calm and just work quickly and efficiently.

wow. i'm glad you didnt' void either, because it obviously worked out really well in your case. wish i got your score when i didn't void my test. thing is, i like this piece of advice, but i also want to add a grain of salt; if you've worked your butt off, then don't void.. your test score will probably very indicative of all the work you've put in. i just wish i'd wisened up earlier to the fact that i hadn't studied enough and *did* void my test :oops:

btw, thanks to all those who've posted in this thread. it's going to help me sooo much this time around :)

I need a little advice. I'm getting somewhat overwhelmed on the material that needs to be reviwed. Anyway for those that studied for 3 or less hrs during weekdays, did you only review/practice a certain section (ex//physics or one subject for each day) or did you do a review all of the sections in that amount of time? I don't have too much to devote during weekdays so im trying to see what worked with other people. Thanks

6/07 PS:8, V:10, WS: S, BS: 10 (28S)
8/07 PS:13 V:11, WS: N (wtf, mate), BS: 13 (37N)...

The first time around, I'd done some reviewing the previous summer and then about 7 hours a day for a month before the test. As for the second one, I spent about 12 hours a day every day from the day I got my first score back to the day of the next available administration (15 days or so).

Wow an 8 point improvement! Congrats! Can you share what you think contributed the most to the boost in your score? What do you think you did differently to prepare the second time around (especially in PS and BS)? Btw, I'm taking again in Jan and I really need to boost my BS score... any specific advice?

1) September 15th: 36S - 13/12/11 (PS/VR/BS)

2) Physics was a lot of hands-on practice problems. Biology was memorizing and learning the concepts. For verbal, I practiced passages daily. I actually found that if I skipped a day or two, my score would drop a bit.

3) The Princeton Review crash-course. Was especially useful for me when it came to biology, as I hadn't thought about it in two years.

4) PR ones, and the ten AAMC CBT ones.

5) Psychology.

6) Practice and read lots.

7) Started studying around mid-May lightly. This corresponded with taking the PR MCAT course. Around the end of July, I started heavily studying for the next seven weeks (8ish hours per day, on average) or so until my write date of Sept. 15. It should be noted that I have no biology/physiology background, so I had to learn a lot of material that seemed very new to me. If you're just reviewing it because you're a bio major, I imagine you'll need less time.

To the question above, when learning the material, I focused on one section per day. When reviewing (during my heavy studying period), I did all three subjects daily.

I took a Kaplan night course the summer after my sophomore year. I used whatever practice tests they provided. I studied all summer, at nights, while I worked during the day.

My undergrad major was Bioengineering; minor was Latin Literature.

08/05- 39R
VR- 13; PS- 12; WS- R; BS- 14

I looked through a review book. If a topic didn't seem 100% familiar, I busted out a textbook and read the appropriate section. Then I ran through a few problems from both the textbook and the review book to make sure I had it down.
Notecards for orgo reactions and bio information.
A huge physics formula sheet that I'd glance at throughout the day (note: you have to understand what you're memorizing...)

Princeton Review. I also had textbooks for every section.

The practice tests that the AAMC had for sale online. Paper test = awesome. I could swear I paid like $200 for those things...

History

Chill. If you freak out, you'll burn all your matches and be zonked in the final section.
Eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. They're pretty tasty.

I studied for 4.5-5 weeks. I spent ~1 week per real section and 3 or 4 days on the writing sample. I gave myself 1 week for general overview and running through stuff I had already memorized.

39R - 14VR, 13BS, 12PS

I didn't study for the verbal section which turned out alright. I also didn't write the essays for the practice tests which in hindsight I wish I had done.
For both science sections my method was the same. I studied the Kaplan notes, my class notes, and used almost all the extra study material on the Kaplan website. For the PS section I also practiced doing math without a calculator.

I took a Kaplan class which was pretty much a giant waste of time. If you aren't used to reading analytically or doing much critical thinking maybe the Kaplan method (roadmapping, STP) would be useful but it really slowed me down, so I didn't bother with it. While the class itself sucked, the website was AWESOME! They have tons of practice problems, review notes, and section tests. USE THEM!

I took about ten Kaplan practice tests and two AMCAS. The Kaplan ones are definitely harder but the curve is better and I thought they were way more like the actual test. If I have one piece of advice it is to take a lot of practice tests. I took about two a week and a section test almost every day. It really helps with your pacing, you start to spot when they are tricking you, and like everything else it will get easier the more times you do it.

Sociology. I had one year of each of the basic sciences and that was it. So if I can do it, you guys definitely can.

Wait until you are consistently getting practice scores you are happy with to take the test. I put it off twice and so I wasn't able to apply until August but it hasn't been a problem. A bad score would have been way worse. And try not to be too nervous before you take it or too bummed when you are done. I lay fetal for about a month and wanted to cry every day. Then I got my scores back and I actually did cry, but they were tears of joy.

I finished my post-bac in May and took the test a month later. That month I studied 8+ hours a day, 7 days a week. It was pretty hellish but I need it and I'm glad I put that much effort into it.

VR 11 PS 11 BS 10 WS Q = 32Q

VR- read the new york times every day, tried to get in the mindset of what is the author trying to portray instead of what i interpret as his or her message
PS- used EK extensively, bought a college physics text and did the problems out of that.
BS- brief look-over of EK, but mostly my masters curriculum. probably should have spent more time with organic, in retrospect

Examkrackers, all books and accompanying practice exam. Kaplan 45's passage book for practice q's and passages, e-mcat.com but only for the free sample

just the free one on www.e-mcat.com

Biology/Political Science

It's no more difficult than any other test you have taken up to this point in life. Just go into it confident of your preparation you can't do wrong. Oh, and I prayed about 10 minutes before starting too...

Just a little over two weeks. I was doing research and working on my masters so I focused on the areas I was weakest on my practice exam and known areas of trouble

8V 12B 14P Q

Don't listen to those guys that you need to take a prep course to succeed.
It took me 5 months of about 2-3 hours a day to prepare. Now, since I'm a non traditional applicant I studied the subjects of BS/PS while I was taking the class. I used the review books to study for my class tests and the class tests to prepare for the MCAT.

VR: This was my arch nemesis. I was just praying to god that I got an 8 or above. I used EK 101, TPR Hyperlearning VR, Kaplan Verbal Review. Just got TONS of practice.
PS: Used EK Physics & Chemistry and my classroom texts.
BS: Used EK Bio & Organic and my classroom texts. I also used Kaplan's organic chem review for this section. I believe that it is the only section that is any good on any of kaplan's material.

AAMC 1-10 (I got I & II from a friend)
Gold Standard 1-10 (these are very close to the real thing)

Computer Engineering

I am not gonna say that don't worry about this exam. It is long, hard, and reminds me of bending over to pick up a soap in a prison. That being said, I think that anyone can do this test. I started with HORRIBLE scores and had to really work hard to get my scores up. Just make sure that you do lots of problems and passages.

5 months 2-3 hours a day.

13V, 14P, 15B, S = 42S

Verbal: Tried using Kaplan's verbal strategy at first, found it difficult to apply in test situations (writing topic/scope/purpose is such a waste of time!). Then read ExamKrackers' short verbal guide, did most of the tests from EK 101.
Physical Sciences: I've taken a bunch of physics classes so I focused on the chemistry aspect, working through the Kaplan and EK books.
Biological Sciences: This took about 90% of my time. I read the Kaplan and EK review books cover to cover, and then did all the EK 1001's for Biology and Organic Chemistry, along with most of Kaplan's online topic tests.

See above.

AAMC 3-6

Bioengineering

Study hard, but most of all study efficiently. Everyone has a different learning style, and the only way you can succeed on the MCAT is if you study for it using the method that works best for you. As a result, don't just take a Kaplan/PR/EK course and just do what they tell you to do - you need to look back at the studying you've done for other classes and try to see what gave you the best results.

Took a Kaplan course last Fall but didn't really go to the classes as I didn't find them particularly useful. I did most of my studying over ~3 weeks during winter break, about 12-15 hours a day.

12V, 10P, 11B, R = 33R

Verbal: Did EK 101. It helped a lot in reminding me to always remember the main subject, etc..., but what I found helped me the *most* (and literally, I tried this 2 days before I took the real thing, got a 12 on a practice mcat) was putting my face close up to the monitor and reading every single word. After reading a sentence, I would then rapidly analyze what I just read and tie it back to the main subject, etc..

Physical Sciences: The Nova Physics book helped a ton for this, as I think they really go over why things work as they should. Other than that, I just did some random problems whenever I had the time to. As for chemistry, I just reveiwed Kaplan notes and did some problems.

Biological Sciences: This one bummed me out as I was studying for it, since I would do the EK 1001 problems, get a chunk of problems wrong. I guess it reinforced what I need to learn, though. I would also recommend EK 1001 for the fact that they actually have passages (some that are difficult), but again, it helps you practice gleaning information from dense passages. As for Orgo..just know the basics, but know them cold. I guess I was also lucky that I'd just taken Biology and Orgo the school year before I took this.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
See above.

AAMC 3-10

Psychology

Understand what you're studying. Dont just look at a book and memorize the words. Use your head to find out why something is working the way it should. Also, don't psyche yourself out! I cannot tell you how scared I was of certain topics in physics (wink wink optics), but as I studied it and knew it cold, I realized I had had nothing to be afraid of. As for verbal, practice practice practice, because whatever strategy you find/have, you'll still need to pratice it a lot. When you finish taking this test, you'll feel like you've just been through a train-wreck. When I finished taking the PS section, I went into the bathroom and cried, I thought it was that bad. It is possible to do very well on this test, believe me..

Also, pray! It sure helped me.

I studied for about 2 hours a day for 4 months, while working full time.

1.) Your individual scores and composite score:
Verbal: 11
Physical: 14
Biological: 15
Writing: N
Composite:40N

2.) The study method used for each section:
Over winter break, I read each book of ExamKrackers, spending about 2 hours a week on studying. Then I took a break for about 2.5 weeks. The last week I read the remaining books. I took the free practice exam on e-mcat.com, plus 4 more.

3.) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
ExamKrackers, plus AAMC practice exams (5 total)

4.) Which practice tests did you use?
AAMC practice 3,4,5,6,7

5.) What was your undergraduate major?
Biochemistry (B.S.) at WVU

6.) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Make sure you learn in the classes you take. This will help keep your GPA up while also helping you on the MCAT in the future. I only studied about 25 hours total not counting the practice exams. Most of my studying came the first 5 semesters of college :)

7.) How long did you study for the MCAT?
See above.

01/2008: 33O (PS 10, VR 12, BS 11)
04/2005: 31P (PS 10, VR 11, BS 10)

I approached the science sections the same way.. read a book (The Princeton Review MCAT Guide, 2006 edition) then work some samples. If there was something I got wrong, I went back to the question, tried to figure out what I didn't know about the problem (the basic concept behind it, specific details, etc) and went back into the book to try to learn.

On the verbal section, it was all about reading passages, answering questions, then trying to understand why I got a question wrong. If you understand how they come to an answer, you can use that to answer a similar question the next time it comes up. Verbal is all about practice for me.

I don't even practice the written portion, nor did I give it any serious effort during the real MCAT. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way, but I seriously don't care about the written portion.

The Princeton Review MCAT Guide for most of it. I also picked up Kaplan's MCAT 45, which I found very useful for developing a strategy to attacking the science sections. I highly recommend this book.

I didn't use any that weren't in my TPR or Kaplan books.

Undergrad - neuroscience
Graduate - biomedical studies

Give yourself enough time to study and use a lot of different types of guides. I feel that my major shortcoming was probably that I knew the book I studied very well, but it didn't do me very much good because the test isn't going to be the same as my TPR book. Try to get a hold of a lot of different test versions and different books if you can.

I know this might not be possible, but relax. If you get all nervous during the exam, you'll probably screw up. If you really bomb the exam, just study more and take it again. It's really not the end of the world. I've taken longer than average trying to get acceptance to med school.. don't think you'll be the only reapplicant in the world. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

NOT LONG ENOUGH. For the 2008 exam I gave myself 3 weeks to study, and I usually only put in 2-3 hours per day really studying. This may be enough for you geniuses out there, but please take it a bit more seriously than I did. In 2005 my situation was very similar; I'd put maybe 5 hours per week into studying over a 2-3 month period.

1.) Your individual scores and composite score:
PS: 11
VR: 8
WS: Q
BS: 12
Total :31 Q in January 2008

2.) The study method used for each section:

Physics: Had just taken physics II, so that was fresh. Physics I was rusty but being an engineering major sure helps. I read through and took notes on the physics chapters in Kaplan, then took their physics practice question. Next, I went through EK's physics, doing all of the problems they had. Then, I went through probably 1/2 of EK's 1001 series.

Chemistry: I was a TA/Tutor for Chem I, so that was solid. I did everything the same as physics. Probably did nearly all of the EK 1001 books.

Bio: I did the same general setup as physics and Chemistry, although did ALL of the EK 1001 bio, it was very good.

Organic: Same as the other topics, did a few orgo problems in EK 1001, but didn't find it helpful at all so I quit that.

Verbal: Went through EK's 101 passages, it was very helpful although depressing at times. My scores fluctuated quite a bit, from 11's to 6's. Being an engineering major having very little English, I am fairly happy with my 8 in VR.

Writing: Didn't do much, did the writing samples on most of the AAMC exams I took.

Overall here is what I did:
I started reading through and taking notes over Kaplan's comprehensive review in late October 07. I went through each section and worked on that 1-2 hours per day until Thanksgiving break. Next, I went through EK's review books and did bio for about 6-7 hrs a day over Thanksgiving and worked on the other sections until the end of the semester December 21. I periodically through that last period would go through the previous notes I had taken and made sure I recalled the information.

Then, I went through a two-day review of everything I had covered by reviewing my notes and making sure I knew everything, or nearly everything. I then took my first practice exam and took one every 4-5 days until the end of my 4-week holiday break. On the non-exam days I did various things.

First, I did the EK in class exams which I hadn't done yet. Next, I went through Kaplan's MCAT 45 book which was worthless. Next, I Did the EK 1001 series books. On the days before exams, I would go through my notes. On the days after exams, I would go through the answers of the previous days exam and understand why I missed the questions I missed.

Also, nearly every day for the 4 week holiday break I took half of a EK 101 verbal exam.

3.) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

For all sections I did: Kaplan, EK review, EK 1001, AAMC exams only

4.) Which practice tests did you use?
AAMC 3-10. Didn't feel the need to do any other tests because AAMC is the real deal, so why waste time/money on tests from companies that are just trying to replicate the real deal??
#: PS VR BS
3: 11 10 10 31
4: 11 9 11 31
5: 11 8 10 29
6: 12 10 12 34
7: 11 10 12 33
8: 12 10 14 36
9: 12 7 11 30
10: 12 10 11 33

5.) What was your undergraduate major?

Biomedical Engineering

6.) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Just give it your all and it will be over eventually. I know it may feel like it is endless but it will happen at some point. I studied every day for four weeks, eight to ten hours per day. At times I was going completely crazy, but just try to do things you enjoy when you're not studying.

Also, do your best not to panic during the exam. I did during VR, and also during PS. I was consistently finishing with 20 minutes to spare in PS, but on Test Day I just barely finished. After each section I went to the bathroom (didn't want the red-bull catching up at an inopportune time), and before I left I looked in the mirror and thought to myself "You're doing this, nothing can change the last section of the test so forget about it and do your best on the next section". This is similar to advice I saw here on SDN, and come Test Day if you find yourself panicking, just remember not to let yourself go just because of one bad section. You have no idea how you did until you get your scores back.

Also, each time I took the exam I did so at 12 noon (I took the noon exam on the 26th). It made it a bit more routine on test day.

Lastly, I should note that I was entirely convinced that I bombed it walking out of it. The first thing I said to my girlfriend was "I think I did pretty bad". So don't void it unless something catastrophic happened (threw up during the exam, etc). Also, your "feelings" about the exam mean little and mine ate at me for a month. After taking AAMC's practice exams you instantly get your score back, which is nice but doesn't allow you to think about how you felt about it. So after taking what I thought was an impossibly hard test (the real thing), I had little idea how it actually related in terms of difficulty to the AAMC practice tests. Good luck to everyone looking to take the exam, give it your all and trust that if you were meant to go into medicine it'll turn out. I wish you all the best.

7.) How long did you study for the MCAT?

2-3 months. 1 month hardcore eight hours per day every day.

11V/11PS/13BS - 35R

PS - I used Kaplan's PS book to make my own physics cheatsheet...err sheets which turned out to be 27 pages. Then I did all of the Chem and Physics questions from Princeton's Workbook.

VR - I like to read. During winter break which was my main studying time, I read a book everyday. It does not need to be profound. I read novels which took me max 2.5 hours to finish. I also did the Kaplan and Examkrackers Verbal questions. I actually only did about half of each though.

WS - I went over how you are supposed to write the essays 2 days before the MCAT. You have more important things to worry about.

BS - Princeton's Bio. Wow, so much better than Kaplan's bio. I wasted my time learning physio when the whole test was mol bio, but I do not mind as I am a microbio major which is a glorified mol bio major. Just did Princeton's workbook again.

PS: Kaplan for Physics, Princeton for Chem and for practice.
VR: Examkrackers and Kaplan
BS: Princeton only

AAMC's (6-10)
Berkeley (all of them)

B.S. Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics in Spring 2009

Take lots of practice tests. For bio, make sure you have all of your bio class notes saved, because they ask for the most random and picky things on the actual test. Liking Ochem will help you, and do not waste your time studying physio.

I started studying lightly in the summer. Then over fall quarter I studied moderately. Winter break: the most intense/fun/relaxing one ever. Went to Barnes and Noble, and crammed in their cafe, and when I got bored... which is quite often, since I have a short attention span... I read. Then I crammed for the first 3 weeks of winter quarter while disregarding all of my other classes.

Good luck to all of you guys... and girls... and to the random flying monkeys who might be reading this post.

42R (14VR/14PS/14BS)
(No, I'm not a genius.. 1290 SAT.)
Verbal: EK101, New Yorker, Harper's, Science, Kaplan verbal tests
PS/BS:
1) Read EK lectures slowly, taking notes
2) Read EK lectures more quickly, doing problems in them
3) Did EK Chapter Quiz. If score was unsatisfactory, went and did tons of problems relating to that topic (EK1001, Kaplan Discretes) to try to turn that particular weakness into a strength. Analyzed every question--correct or incorrect, dissecting every key point.
Supplementary materials: Audio Osmosis listened to occasionally. Kaplan was somewhat nice to aid me in learning the basic physiology and anatomy required by the exam.

Writing Sample: Who cares? Wrote essays for my last 3-4 practice exams. Watch your spelling and follow the directions

PS: EK Physics. EK Chemistry. Kaplan. EK1001 Chemistry/Physics. Kaplan discretes. You can NEVER DO ENOUGH PROBLEMS!

VR: EK101, Kaplan Verbal Tests, Harpers, New Yorker (read your butt off)
FYI: I attribute the 14 to raw luck. I averaged 11 on AAMC VR, never scoring above 13.

BS: EK and EK1001 are cash-money for biology. I did every passage in EK1001 bio. Organic chemistry on this exam was really easy for me--I barely studied, but used EK1001 Organic to brush up on weak areas as identified on practice exams.

AAMC's (CBT 6-10)
Average: 37 Low: 36 High: 41

Kaplan FL's (3-10)
Average: 36 Low: 33 High: 39

Gold Standard CBT (1-10)
Average: 35 Low: 33 High: 39

Gold standard CBTs are pretty ****ty. Not worth the money unless you're really desperate for practice material.
Biology, Chemistry. I'm a junior.

Standard advice:
1. Start studying early. Give yourself ample time to prepare. Avoid rushing into the test before your practice tests are consistently where you want them to be. Don't set a test date until you're well into your preparation and have some idea when you should be where you want to be.

2. Take at least 10 practice exams, preferably more. Analyze each problem. Keep track of problems you miss by creating a word file. Write out a thorough explanation next to the number of each problem you miss with
a) the topic, e.g.: Biology: Renal filtration.
b) a full answer explanation, deriving the answer from basic principles

Oh, and another thing...
Don't be hard on yourself after taking the exam. I wanted to effing cry after the exam because I had test day jitters and didn't realize that there was a final page on the exam and had to guess on the final 3 questions of the BS. Turned out I got a 14. That didn't stop me from detroying myself emotionally for the month or so before I got my scores back. Everyone feels worse after the real thing than practices-- RELAX!

You should be able to identify trends in the questions you miss. Figure out what your weak areas are and attack them viciously. Mine were pretty specific: optics, physiology, anatomy..

4 months total:

2 months during the summer (3-4 hr daily)
took fall term off from studying
1 month during winter break (at least 6 hours daily)
1 month during the start of winter term (at least 6 hours daily. things got rough. lol)

You definitely don't need to prepare that long to score a 35+, I know a guy who did a lot less work and got the same score. That individual, however, had a much higher native intelligence, so realize that you are going to need to tailor your preparation around YOUR abilities. I'm convinced over the 36-38 range everything is luck--I got an exam that was tailored towards my strengths (molecular biology, molecular genetics, chemistry).

One more thing--about people on here who say things like "Don't flip out on test day," or "don't get nervous." I think this is unrealistic nonsense. Chances are you're going to be scared to death on exam day and have some test day jitters that will most likely last throughout the exam. Don't let it phase you and try to keep your head on straight--being nervous is natural, but try to fight through it.

You should be able to identify trends in the questions you miss. Figure out what your weak areas are and attack them viciously. Mine were pretty specific: optics, physiology, anatomy..

dude, there is anatomy on the MCAT? lol...i never knew that

There were definitely questions about the basic anatomy of the kidney and CNS/PNS on my exam. Maybe our definitions of anatomy differ though, seeing as I'm a Biochemistry major with virtually no experience in "actual" anatomy.

nice score, btw. you started studying for it in the summer? so you studied 8 months with 40 hrs/week?

Status
Not open for further replies.