Order Now: The SDN Pharmacy Admissions Guide - Sample content attached to post 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Click Here to Order from the SDN Bookstore

This 140 page guide is available for pre-order in the SDN store for $20 (domestic shipping included). The title should be shipping from the store by the end of March. Be sure to pre-order in order to ensure the earliest possible delivery date.

Table of Contents:
An introduction to pharmacy as a career
An overview of professional duties
Required training, education, and licensure
Career and employment opportunities
Preparing to apply to PharmD programs
Choosing your potential schools
Prerequisites to admission
Building your qualifications
Required examinations
Financing your PharmD
The PharmD admissions process
Preparing your application
Letters of reference
Personal statements
Interviews
Responding to offers of admission
Reapplication
Recommended reading for prospective PharmD students
Real students, real answers
Practitioner interviews

25904177.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• SDN Pharmacy Guide Sample.pdf
    281 KB · Views: 228
Can't you pretty much get all of that info off of the forums for free by doing simple searches?

Oh, wait, people are too lazy to do that. Good idea....

Can't you pretty much get all of that info off of the forums for free by doing simple searches?

Oh, wait, people are too lazy to do that. Good idea....

That's right, we give it out for free online, but you have to pay money if you want it in print. (Read: I can spin:D)

Members don't see this ad :)
the cover is racist. Are they saying that a pharmacist is suppose to be a hot asian woman?

Although i love hot asian women, I will never be one.

the cover is racist. Are they saying that a pharmacist is suppose to be a hot asian woman?

Although, i love hot asian women, I wonder why they chose to put on the cover?
:laugh: thats wats up

that's an hilarious picture as a pharmacist lol lol lol

Members don't see this ad :)
The book is a mixture of content types. Some of it I have written and other parts have been contributed by current students and practitioners. While you could piece together some of the book's content by looking at various websites and talking to current students and practitioners yourself, it would take long time to do so. Someone starting out might not have such a great idea of what questions to ask or where to find answers. And, if you haven't already been there, it can be hard to sort the good information from the not so good information.

In the areas that are fairly clearcut, I went ahead and put the content together myself. Those areas have citations, so that if you are interested in learning more on a topic, you can go to my sources. You can also explore further by going through the "Recommended Reading" section, which will point you to resources that are great to look at on your own, but couldn't be reasonably incorporated into the book. Some of these are links to application statistics, places to find out more about schools, will teach you about the profession, will be useful during the application process, etc. One of my favorite features is the extensive mock interview section which you could use to practice with a friend or family member.

Throughout the book, there are sets of quotes from a variety of current students on commonly asked questions whose answers that vary by person. In "Real Students, Real Answers", you hear about what pharmacy school is like and what perspectives current students have on the profession.

In the "Practitioners Interviews" section, you hear from 10 different practitioners working in various practice areas and at different stages of their careers. Many of the things they tell you are more in-depth than you might hear on the forums or if you approached them and talked to them yourself. You get to appreciate the variety in their roles and the candid manner in which many of them speak. Reading this section should help readers to break through that generic image of a pharmacist that many people have when they first start exploring pharmacy.

If I had to sum up the purpose in one sentence, it would be to make you into a better informed applicant.

Hopefully we'll get some content samples posted this weekend. :)

LOL at the cover. seeing an asian on a cover is as weird as seeing an asian on TV.

im asian btw so no racist replies please

In for more pictures of the hot asian cover girl.

Do you ship to Canada? On the order form there is no option to input a country, province or postal code (although it does fit in the ZIP code field).

Thanks!

I'm asian and I'm not that hot...I'm talking about the old white man:)

If the SDN store doesn't the book is also available on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com . :)
Yeah, hopefully the SDN store does ship to Canada though as they accept Paypal where Amazon and Barnes & Noble do not.

NVM, Just noticed that Barnes and Noble do accept paypal so that's great! Will order from them. I never knew that Barnes & Nobel accepted paypal, I can now buy books online! :D

The lanyard (I didn't even know they were called that!) made me realize that "sdn" is "ups" upside down.

Haha UPS stands for Undergraduate Pharmacy Society at my school. :laugh: