qr help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor PJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how this is done, its from topscore qr.
what is the probability of getting 6 tails out of 9 tosses of a coin?

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone tell me how this is done, its from topscore qr.
what is the probability of getting 6 tails out of 9 tosses of a coin?

I would do probability of getting 6 tails of 6 tosses, (1/2)^6 and multiply that by the next 3 flips getting heads * (1/2)^3
(1/2)^6 *(1/2)^3

i think?

You would use the sucess failure formula.

9c6 * (1/2)^6 * (1/2)^3

NcR * Probability of success raised to the power of the number of successes*Probability of failure raised to the power of the number of failures.

1/6 i think without doing the calculation just multiplying in my head. This is he proper way to do this.

Last edited:
chances of getting 6 tails appearing in 9 flips

84/512 -- 16%

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
chances of getting 6 tails appearing in 9 flips

84/512 -- 16%

just wanted to add. I might be doing this all wrong and unnecessarily long, but I am not sure how to do any other way. Can someone please explain how that NcR success failure works? Thanks.

this is how I did it

9! / [(9-6)!(6!) = 84 , which means there is 84 possible ways to get 6 tails in 9 flips.

Total outcome is 2^9 = 512

84/512 = 16%

Kluzty got 1/6 and it seemed really fast. Can you elaborate on the success failure thing you talked about?

NcR * Probability of success raised to the power of the number of successes*Probability of failure raised to the power of the number of failures.

Always works when there are only 2 possible outcomes, success or failure.

how do you know what the probability is out of...you basically have (1/2)^6 x (1/2)^3 = 1/256, now what???

Osims,how did u get 256!
Should be 512!

yea sorry i calculated it wrong in my head my bad your right its supposed to be 1/512

Then I guess you do 9!/6!(9-6)! = 84

so 84 x (1/512) = 84/512

And so in this case if order would matter,we would use permutation one,right????
But the denominator would be the same??? 512????

And so in this case if order would matter,we would use permutation one,right????
But the denominator would be the same??? 512????

I believe that is correct although i have never seen a question in my life that involved this formula and had permutations. They always have combinations.
Perhaps streetwolf has may know a drop more.