Is there anymore hope for me :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iLOVEsports

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low GPA (3.1 overall), but I thought my DATs (AA 20 TS 20 PAT 19), dental experience (over 3 years) and loads of extracurriculars would kind of make up for my low GPA. But I havent heard back from any schools regarding interviews (I've gotten 4 rejections). IS THERE ANY HOPE :( I'm planning on taking some classes next semester to raise my GPA and, if I don't get in this time around, then applying for SMP for next year. But I really want to know if there's any chances of me getting any interviews? Thanks for the feedback!

btw: I submitted my AADSAS late june and it was mailed out in mid july. I got all my secondaries in by August and I my application was complete in August as well (except a mishap with my LORs).

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine if you have applied to right school, meaning school which have stats with lower GPA. Your DAT scores and Expercience should make up for your GPA:thumbup:

you just gotta wait it out. You probably will hear something during the winter time. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is always hope! all of your stats besides the gpa are solid...and its not like your gpa is horrible. It's still early in the cycle!

You really have a lot going for you. Great job on the DAT. ;) I wish you luck.

Keep chuggin along like you're gonna get an interview. And if worse comes to worse raise your GPA a couple of points and you should be golden next year.

Hey guys! Thanks you SO much for the encouraging words! I swear, I love SDN! lol But again, thanks so much and hopefully I do hear back from schools!

silly question, but whats SMP?

silly question, but whats SMP?

SMP = Special Masters Program. They are generally 1 or 2 years and designed for career changers or academic enhancers that already have their baccalaureate degree and want to pursue health professional school. I'm in the same boat and will probably apply to an SMP.

SMP = Special Masters Program. They are generally 1 or 2 years and designed for career changers or academic enhancers that already have their baccalaureate degree and want to pursue health professional school. I'm in the same boat and will probably apply to an SMP.

for these applications, arent the deadlines in december? i also heard that they require GRE scores...

To the OP, what schools did you apply to?

for these applications, arent the deadlines in december? i also heard that they require GRE scores...

its only october. You have ample time to get a MS app together. Its not nearly as involved as aadsas. The GRE is simple. Its the exact same material as the SAT.

The biggest thing will be to get professors to write you letters. For MS programs that are designed for movement into med/dentistry, you can try to reuse your dental recommendations.

You really do have enough time. its very important to get into a SMP for the next fall should DS not work out this year.

needa20: I applied to ASDOH, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, Western, Howard, Univ of Louisville, Boston, Tufts, Creighton, UNLV, UMDNJ, NYU, Temple and Virginia... and i already got rejections from Case, Kentucky and Midwesten

Lopyswine: I know some master's applications are due in December, but most of the ones I'm looking into applying to are due in like February and March of next year. And, from the SMP programs I have looked at, they say that their applications don't come out until January. Is this true? I just want to make sure I'm not reading the wrong dates and end up missing a deadline.

Has anybody ever thought of doing a dental assitant program instead of a masters? I'm thinking of doing that. . .you think that a good idea or no?

FYI most SMP's will take DAT scores in lieu of GRE

needa20: I applied to ASDOH, UCLA, UCSF, UOP, Western, Howard, Univ of Louisville, Boston, Tufts, Creighton, UNLV, UMDNJ, NYU, Temple and Virginia... and i already got rejections from Case, Kentucky and Midwesten.

iLOVEsports, you've applied to quite a lot of schools. I think you have a shot at hearing something better from at least one of them, so don't let four rejections make you lose hope so easily. As someone earlier mentioned, it's still really early in the cycle. Good luck! :)

im in teh same boat - 3.18 gpa with 21/21/20 dats...i didnt think i was gonna get an interview but i got one for usc in the spring! theres hope, dont give up just yet...

FYI most SMP's will take DAT scores in lieu of GRE

Yeah, I was looking at some of the SMPs and saw that they took DAT scores instead. But, since most of the SMPs are of med schools, do you know if they accept DAT scores instead of MCAT scores? Or would I have to take the GRE for those schools? Also here are the SMPs I am applying to:
Colorado State
Drexel University
UMDNJ
Philadelphia College
San Francisco State Dental Post Bacc (I know this isn't an SMP)

Do you guys know of any others out there? I was hoping to find some closer to the West coast, but most of the ones I found were of East coast school.

Has anybody ever thought of doing a dental assitant program instead of a masters? I'm thinking of doing that. . .you think that a good idea or no?

I did think of doing that as well. But since my GPA is what needs work, I think it'd be best for me to do a post bacc or an SMP. But I think it's a good idea!

And to everyone else- Thanks a lot for the encouragement. And congrats to all those who got accepted! :)

One step forward four steps back.

Hey , University of Maryland , Baltimore County has Master of Biotechnology , you do not need to take GRE , minimum GPA requirement is 3.00
Iam in this program , they offer evening classes , so convenient to work in the morning and go to school in everning.