First Aid for the Basic Sciences: General Principles and Organ Systems Errata

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Surreal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got tired of waiting for the FA team to put up an errata page for these books (still have faith that they will do this sometime soon ....), and so I thought for now I'd at least start a thread on SDN as a consolidated source online where people could post the errors they find. The books looked great and so I bought them even though I knew as 1st Editions there would be errors (a risky venture I realize). My hope is this thread will help elucidate some of these mistakes for the benefit of everyone who decided to take a chance and use these new FA books (many of whom I'm sure had the same assumption as me that FA would eventually post an errata page themselves ...) To get it started, here are 2 that other people have pointed out (I found them on the FA comments page and the FB group) Note: I don't take credit and/or blame for these or any others that will hopefully soon follow.

* AJ Klimek: Organ Systems - There is an error in chapter 2 page 157 table 2-23. It gives the wrong data in regards to primary and secondary adrenal insufficency. the cortisol in primary (addison’s) should be decreased, and in secondary the cortisol should be decreased also as well as the acth

* Evan Thomas: Organ Systems - p196 - Clinical Correlation at Top Left of Page

Should be left renal VEIN, says left renal artery.

I also noticed from another thread that a user named "Scube" was going to flag each mistake as they went through the books. If you're reading this Scube, please please post what you've found so far here. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Section: Heme/Onc
Page: 322

In Table 4-5, Laboratory Findings in Bleeding Disorders:

Partial Thromboplastin Time (PTT) is elevated in Hemophilia A&B, NOT prothrombin time (PT) as is indicated in the chart.

PTT - intrinsic/common
PT - extrinsic/common

thanks for posting the errors. i also bought the book because i thought it looked like a good resource for the boards, but i'm worried about errors. Have any more been found or has another thread been started?

Just found an error on pg 380 in the flashback box -- it should read "the hyaline cartilage in primary cartilaginous joints is made up predomainantly of type II Collagen."

Members don't see this ad :)
So just thought I would point out that it seems they forgot to put the chapter on protozoa in the General Principles book.. Came to me when I noticed I couldn't find malaria anywhere.

the missed muscular dystrophy and all soft tissue tumors as well. i've been using RR Path (Goljan) to fill in the gaps.

they just posted an updated corrections list on the first aid website -- 6 pages. not terrible. i still really like this book

Looks the the errata posted online have not been updated for over a year. I'm also wondering if I'll ever see that $20 bounty. Anyway, here is my list so far.

First Aid for the Basic Sciences: General Principles
p. 11 clinical correlation: "increased" cytoplasmic granule fusion --> "decreased"
p. 271 a-hemolytic: S. "pneumoniae"; "veridans" --> "viridanse"; "entercoccus" --> "enterococcus"
p. 392 Fig. 5-64: "Reverse transcriptase" label should point to red balls
p. 505 rhabdo = skeletal --> striated

First Aid for the Basic Sciences: Organ Systems
p. 7 last word on the page "arteriosus" --> "arteriosum"
p. 9 Fig. 1-7 caption, "tortous" --> "tortuous"
p. 160 hyperkalemia in Addison's is due to low aldosterone, not ACTH
p. 172 "glycosidase" --> "glucosidase"
p. 174 & 684 "rennin" --> "renin"
p. 198 "mucopolysacchardoses" --> "mucopolysaccharidoses"
p. 269 & index Table 5-5, hemolysis: "staphylococcus" pyogenes --> "streptococcus" pyogenes; likewise for three index entries
p. 435 one diamond should be red: imipenem/enterobacter
p. 461 delete Fig. 6-2 caption.
p. 817 raloxifene's effect on endometrium is antagonistic (see p.772)
p. 793 LGV serotypes D-K --> L1-L3
p. 813 mortality (--> case fatality) 60-80 or 80-90%? (actually 37% from recent data)
p. 814 "IgD" --> anti-D immunoglobulin (an IgG in fact)