UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how did you find out about this. when i called they told me they cant disclose this kind of information. do you know when the waitlist will start moving?

that's what i was told when i called last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Do any other colleges offer OOS students in state tution after the 1st year?I understand that UMDNJ has had a huge cut in funding and they possibly will not offer instate tution after the first year for out of state residents. Is that true?

We had a meeting with one of the Provosts of UMDNJ last week, and she said that while a number has not been set yet, the tuition WILL go up. The school has fought through some financial difficulty over the past couple years, and has righted the ship, but as a result of declining state funding and the desire to decrease reliance on safety-net reimbursement for care at University Hospital (NJMS's main hospital in Newark), they're 100% absolutely going to have to raise tuition a significant amount. It would not surprise anyone here to see tuition go up multiple thousands of dollars (speculation here among the people I talk with is somewhere 5-10k though that is just a guess) though the number will not be set until some time around the end of the month. Getting in-state tuition as a first year is a thing of the past. I don't believe they did it this year (or at least they hadn't planned on it). Even if tuition goes up, though, this is one of the most cost-friendly schools around, especially in the Osteopathic world. Don't worry about the cost. If you get in, come.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am referring to tution after the 1st year for OOS students. I understand UMDNJ will not give in state tution for OOS after the 1st year because of the budget cut. I undertand this will save UMDNJ plenty of money.

On the umdnj-som admissions website it says that current Tuition (2009-2010):
In State $26,227
Out-of-State $41,039

If the new numbers predict 35 k for in state tuition for the incoming class, I strongly hope we would not infer that oos tuition for the first year will be 50k.. and then 35k each year after (assuming NJ residency attained) Tuition was a big reason I have been leaning at umdnj over nycom. Whereas tuition at nycom will always be more, this closes the gap in tuition quite a bit. I hope they have hard numbers to give us at accepted students day at the end of the month.

In State $26,227
Out-of-State $41,039

If the new numbers predict 35 k for in state tuition for the incoming class, I strongly hope we would not infer that oos tuition for the first year will be 50k.. and then 35k each year after (assuming NJ residency attained)

No kidding. 50K would be unacceptable. 41K is already over average for the schools I've been applying to, MD and DO included.

No kidding. 50K would be unacceptable. 41K is already over average for the schools I've been applying to, MD and DO included.

Well it is a logical step, seeing as the state of New Jersey has over 11 billion dollars in debt. This is a huge hole in the system and an easy way to capitalize on oos studentso choose UMDNJ. To my knowledge, this is the only state that does this "oos conversion to in state" in just one year. The current system is not cost friendly and the state doesnt really benefit from having more "instate" residents who are actually just students for four years and will soon leave the state in any case, which results in the state losing about 20 k each year for ever oos student that enrolls.

While 50k is more than previous years for OOS, it is essentially around average for other medical schools, and it should be an expected increase this year.

Has anyone from the alternate list called for an update recently? I'm curious if there has been any movement and if anyone knows the number of people on the list right now.

Thanks!

Has anyone from the alternate list called for an update recently? I'm curious if there has been any movement and if anyone knows the number of people on the list right now.

Thanks!
Based on what I've heard and read from previous years, I don't think the alternate list starts to move for another couple of months.

In State $26,227
Out-of-State $41,039

If the new numbers predict 35 k for in state tuition for the incoming class, I strongly hope we would not infer that oos tuition for the first year will be 50k.. and then 35k each year after (assuming NJ residency attained) Tuition was a big reason I have been leaning at umdnj over nycom. Whereas tuition at nycom will always be more, this closes the gap in tuition quite a bit. I hope they have hard numbers to give us at accepted students day at the end of the month.

word has it a 10-15% increase, not a $10,000 increase.

Based on what I've heard and read from previous years, I don't think the alternate list starts to move for another couple of months.

In any case, it's not even the third Friday of March yet, so assuming they're still reviewing on third Fridays only...

Hey everyone,

I saw that the school is having an Open House on April 23rd. I am applying this summer and am really interested in UMDNJ, would you guys recommend attending the Open House? I am really not familiar with NJ all that much, but hear great things about the school. Has anyone attended the open house in the past, is it worth going to?

The reason I ask is because their website states, "This may be what you need for that interview. We know it's part of what you will need in order to become a successful candidate." regarding the open house.

Thanks and good luck to all :)

Calvin

Members don't see this ad :)
Where would you be traveling from?

I really love UMDNJ-SOM and think it would be a good idea to attend the open house. The dean is very approachable should you wish to introduce yourself. You may be able to use this experience in your secondary essay and/or interview.

Thanks! May I PM you if I have any more questions?
I will be travelling from LI, but I am from NYC.

Thanks! May I PM you if I have any more questions?
I will be travelling from LI, but I am from NYC.

Going to the open house is a great way to make a first impression on the admissions director. If you have any questions, she is willing to take the time to talk to you about them. In addition, you get to see the campus first hand and really see if this is where you can see yourself during medical school.

As for directions, coming from Long Island it really depends which way you take. If you take the GWB, you take the NJ Turnpike South to exit 4. Then take Rt. 70 to Rt. 295 South and go to Rt. 30 East. If you go through Staten Island (which I am not sure why you would, but if you do) take 440 to the Outerbridge Crossing to 287 North. Then get on the NJ turnpike south and follow the directions above.

EMT2ER-DOC,

Thanks so much for the advice and directions detail!

Elftown, its cool no worries. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Take care and I'll be sure to pop in and ask questions if they arise :)

Calvin

Quick question - are lectures recorded at UMDNJ SOM? I seem to remember the answer as yes, but I'm not sure.

yes they are. However, you may no longer be able to download them onto your ipod due to copywrite issues that the professors were concerned about.

Awesome. I also don't have an iPod (I know.. I don't even have text on my cellphone! It's like I'm some kind of caveman), so that makes things easy. Thanks much.

Has anyone seen the hanging art display in the University Doctors Pavilion? It is a hand made up of a ton of little hanging heads, strangely befitting to PCOM's motto, Mens et Manus (The Mind and the Hand).

Yeah, I saw it on my visit. Kind of cool, kind of freaky because at first I thought the heads were skulls.

yes they are. However, you may no longer be able to download them onto your ipod due to copywrite issues that the professors were concerned about.

they offer the recordings for download as well. podcasting is also available. i scribe the lectures during the weekends if i feel i missed something and it works great.

they offer the recordings for download as well. podcasting is also available. i scribe the lectures during the weekends if i feel i missed something and it works great.

Awesome. That's a feature that my younger brother has access to now in undergrad and it sounds like it's an integral part of his studying.

anyone start filling out paperwork for financial aid/housing? there must be dozens of damn forms to fill out. I don't even know what I'm writing for half of them.

I think it is some ridiculous price like $55/year or something like that.

its like 90-100 bucks. Not bad at all. a lot of students use the facilities. you can have a quick workout right at school. also there is a ballys which offers students 100 bucks for the year as well and has a pool.

Another question...

I'm coming from the westcoast and I haven't been able to check out the area yet. Needless to say, I know nothing about the area.

Can I get by without a car? How is the public transportation?

Thanks again.

Another question...

I'm coming from the westcoast and I haven't been able to check out the area yet. Needless to say, I know nothing about the area.

Thanks again.

It's in the suburbs, so it might be kind of pain w/o a car. However, it is close to a train station, so you might be able to get by.

Another question...

Thanks again.

for the first 2 years it should be OK as long as you either live with a roommate that has a car or you get an apartment within walking distance. However, you must have one by 3rd year.

School gym is really weak, but some people make do because it's incredibly cheap. Bally used to give students a discount but that's a thing of the past. It's roughly $25-30 a month, and is starting to fall into disrepair, so a number of people have/are going to abandon that. A 24hr gym just opened in the area and they're having promotions right now, as is a newly opening LA Fitness.

So I really love UMDNJ SOM and would love to attend in the Fall but I didn't receive a call today. Does anyone know if they call immediately after the meeting at 1?

Let's hope the waitlist starts moving soon:xf:

Gymdoc - call on Monday. You should be able to get an answer.

School gym is really weak, but some people make do because it's incredibly cheap. Bally used to give students a discount but that's a thing of the past. It's roughly $25-30 a month, and is starting to fall into disrepair, so a number of people have/are going to abandon that. A 24hr gym just opened in the area and they're having promotions right now, as is a newly opening LA Fitness.

Well, as long as they have a squat rack (cage) style, pull up bar, and some flat benches, I think I'll be ok.

Oh, and as long as I'm not asked to leave the gym for using chalk...

Received the call on Friday some time between 2-3. Will likely be attending in the fall. Good luck everyone!

Has anyone received a rejection letter who hasn't interviewed yet? Are they still conducting interviews?

I just read up on an article about it.

"Independent studies by both Cooper and UMDNJ concluded that there is a significant need for a four year medical school in South Jersey, and that Cooper and its medical faculty are well prepared to meet that need." - From Rowan Today.

Wow - two schools within, what, 20 miles? 10 miles?

Man.. they're really pushing Rowan. There's already a Facebook fan page for Cooper MS.

Edit: From Cooper MS's webpage - "There is a shortage of M.D. graduates, and we need to solve this problem before it becomes a health care crisis. New Jersey ranks 33rd of all states in graduating M.D.s."
http://www.cooperhealth.org/content/cooper_medical_school_rowan_university_faq.htm

UMDNJ has had Cooper as the hospital for RWJ for a long time. In addition, UMDNJ has been trying to acquire cooper as a core hospital. However, every since the issue with billing at Newark and the scrutiny that UMDNJ has been under as well as a financial reduction, it was decided by the higher ups that the contract with Cooper will be terminated.

I would not worry about SOM shutting down any time in the future. They are predicting that within 10 years the state will have a shortage of 2500 primary care physicians. And since most MD students shudder at the thought of not going into a super specialty that only leaves the SOM students who have a tendency to enter into primary care.

NJ does not have any private medical schools. Look at NYC where there is Columbia, Mount Sinai, NYCOM, Downstate, NYU, and Albert Einstein all within 30 minutes of each other.

Relax, it will be alright. As for tuition, word on the street is a 15% increase.

According to google maps: 11.3 miles, 16 minutes (taking US-30 W).

I attended the presentation they had a few weeks ago about the financial crisis and it was not very uplifting. It sounded like, "We are raising tuition by an unknown amount and please give us money when you become doctors." Even a current SOM student asked whether there are plans to close down the school.

In response to your edit: I don't see why they care so much about graduating "M.D.s." ... sigh

I'm not concerned about the school closing down. It wouldn't make sense to close down a school if they are opening another one up b/c we don't have enough doctors. A lot of states are in our position, and I hope that we can get our finances in order.

last week i joined the umdnj class of 2014 facebook group and started making friends, talking to people about the rooming situation, without realizing i joined the umdnj osteopathic med SOM group. i'm so stupid. see you in august

I just read up on an article about it.

"Independent studies by both Cooper and UMDNJ concluded that there is a significant need for a four year medical school in South Jersey, and that Cooper and its medical faculty are well prepared to meet that need." - From Rowan Today.

Wow - two schools within, what, 20 miles? 10 miles?

Man.. they're really pushing Rowan. There's already a Facebook fan page for Cooper MS.

Edit: From Cooper MS's webpage - "There is a shortage of M.D. graduates, and we need to solve this problem before it becomes a health care crisis. New Jersey ranks 33rd of all states in graduating M.D.s."
http://www.cooperhealth.org/content/cooper_medical_school_rowan_university_faq.htm

in my opinion, if this new medical school was opening up near NJMS you could bet that UMDNJ would have stopped that from happening. Even the local papers said this was the first medical school in south jersey. It would have been great to have Cooper as part of the UMDNJ system. As of right now both RWJ and NJMS have their trauma I level hospitals while SOM does not. I feel this would provide more opportunities during rotations etc for us. i think the first class is 2012?

i think in the end we will be fine.

Last edited:
hey everyone.. i guess i'm kinda late getting onto this forum.. but when i came across it, i definitely had to join

i was accepted back in december (3.4/29O) so to all my future classmates in the class of 2014.. congratulations! and to everyone waiting.. don't give up hope.. i know people who have gotten in pretty late in the admissions process

i look forward to seeing you all at accepted students day on friday!

ok...so what is this accepted students day again? this friday? thought we already had a luncheon a month or two back. this is for the allopathic school right? i'm so dumb.

one thing to note for anyone who is looking to apply into the class of 2015.. what i found out from one of my friends who is a 3rd year student here is that your admissions file contains everything.. and as someone had mentioned earlier that admissions at UMDNJ works on a point system.. they take your GPA and your MCAT score and multiply it by some value to get some combined score.. if your combined score is higher than a certain number then they invite you in for an interview.. then your interviewer gives you a score that is multiplied by something and added to your MCAT and GPA score.. this number has to be higher than some predetermined value in order to be accepted.. and if it isnt, then as long as its higher than the waitlist score then you get waitlisted.. and if its lower than that, then you get rejected.. but here are some things you may not know about the scoring system.. as i said everything is recorded in your file.. so here are some tips to increase your score.. call the admissions office and say you want to come visit the school.. that counts for some points.. meet with the admissions advisor (paula watkins).. that counts for some points.. ask the office when you set up your visit if you can shadow a student.. that counts for some points.. so those are some extra things as an applicant you can do to show how much you want to go to this school.. i hope everything works out for anyone applying!

I just received the email for the Accepted Students day today, and RSVP was due last Friday... I guess I won't be going. :(

I know this has probably been asked a million times but I need to know if there are any updates on acceptances. So is the class full? ?Are they still interviewing?

I'm just so frustrated because I was told by phone that I was accepted to the school... only to get a mailed letter a couple weeks later saying I was waitlisted. I was so upset but I still would really would love to go to this school if accepted.