PEDO 2010 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post the good news tomorrow!

Format should look like:

Name: John Q. Student
Match/Non-match: Match
Specialty/Where: Pedo/University of Example
Dental School Attended: University of Example
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2010
NBDE Part I/II scores: a/b (n/a if not taken)
Class Ranking: x/y
Externship(s)/where: Obvious
Research: Obvious
Extracurriculars: Obvious

I used this information when deciding where to apply, so lets continue the tradition for future classes. If you want to post anonymously, you can PM me information and I will post it for you.

Here's a blank form to copy:

Name:
Match/non-match:
Specialty/Where:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
NBDE Part I/II scores:
Class Ranking:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
University of Washington - 2 yr

Name: GM
Match/non-match:Match
Specialty/Where: Pedo UCLA Venice
Dental School Attended: Nova Southeastern U.
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2009
NBDE Part I/II scores: 83/83
Class Ranking: dont remember b/t 75 an 80 out of 120
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: none
Extracurriculars: none
Now at a Univ. of Florida AEGD program

Members don't see this ad :)
MATCH: University of Florida, Gainesville!
Dental School: VCU 2008
Class Rank: Top third of class
Board Scores: Upper eighties
Research: 3 dental school projects
Extras: Tons
Pretty excited! Here's to another adventure!:)

:) Good luck

Match/non-match: matched
Specialty/Where: UCSF
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2002
Externship(s)/where: GPR
Research: 2 publications including other projects
Extracurriculars: Volunteered in free health clinics, mission trips, work experience in pedo offices, etc...

Last edited:
Match/non-match: Match
Specialty/Where: University of Florida - Naples
Dental School Attended: Case Western Reserve University
NBDE Part I/II scores: 87/81 (took Part II after interview cycle)
Class Ranking: No ranking at Case
Externship(s)/where: Case, Toledo, Primary Children's, UF-Gaineville, IHS-Oklahoma
Research: Some Microbiology stuff in undergrad, nothing exciting
Extracurriculars: The usual stuff, lots of service, nothing out of the ordinary.

Way excited! Naples winters should be a LITTLE BIT nicer than Cleveland winters! Now just waiting for baby #3 to be born here in the next few hours! Exciting day!

Wow I must really suck at interviews and/or have no people skills because I had a ton of interviews and my stats are competitive with what is being posted, yet no match.

Name: JP
Match/non-match: match
Specialty/Where: Pedo - Colorado Children's Hospital
Dental School Attended: Baylor College of Dentistry
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2007
NBDE Part I/II scores: 91/86
Class Ranking: 17 out of 85 I think
Externship(s)/where: none, but worked for 2 years prior
Research: summer after 1st year of dental school
Extracurriculars: sports, parenting, wailing on the guitar on Rock Band

anybody else who got in at Colorado give me a shout!!

Congrats everybody, that's awesome, those who didn't match hang in there, you got enough interviews this time around, it will happen for you next time.

Cochino, let the sunshine begin.

Name: Huggies
Match/non-match: Non-match
Specialty/Where: NSU
Dental School Attended: U of T
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2003
NBDE Part I/II scores: 91/88
Class Ranking: no rank
Research: assist
Extracurriculars: tons of experience with kids before dental school and less after.:)

Last edited:
Match/non-match:MATCH
Specialty/Where: Indiana
Boards: 88/81
Other: Didn't match last year, did a GPR this year, some research, alot of extracurriculars

Members don't see this ad :)
Specialty/Where: UMDNJ
Dental School Attended: Nova
NBDE Part I/II scores: 86/81
Class Ranking: 16/130
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Lots of Student Govt, Engineering background

Specialty/Where: Pedo(duh!)/University of Mississippi/Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital
Dental School Attended: University of Mississippi Medical Center
NBDE Part I/II scores: 90/82(took part II after interview cycle)
Class Ranking: 2 of 36
Externship(s)/where: LSU
Research: 2 projects in dental school
Extracurriculars: Student Research Group, ASDA, AAWD, HSDA, Associated Student Body Treasurer

Congrats guys! Sorry for those that didn't get good news. Don't give up!

Hey man, congrats on Naples! Where did your boys from Case end up going?

Did you get my PM? One of them will be joining you down in Gainesville. Two from my school matched to Case, one to Indiana, and one took a non-match position at Loma Linda. I'm not sure about the rest, I've been at the hospital today. Boy #3 was born at 3:00 EST. 7 lbs. 5 oz, 19.5 inches long, and incredibly handsome like his dad. :thumbup:

Match/non-match: Match!! :thumbup:
Specialty/Where: Peds/UConn
Dental School Attended: UPenn
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2006
NBDE Part I/II scores: 92/82
Class Ranking: Top 1/3
Externship(s)/where: -
Research: -
Extracurriculars: Worked at a Pedo office for 4 years, faculty at a dental school for 4 years.

Specialty/Where: Primary Children's Hospital, SLC Utah
Dental School Attended: Creighton University

Did you get my PM? I would love to get your classmates contact info (email, phone) if you do not mind.

Name: Chevy
Match/non-match:match
Specialty/Where: univ of Minnesota
Dental School Attended: I am still trying to forget
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008
NBDE Part I/II scores: 89/79 what can i say part 2 sucks
Class Ranking: top ten percent
Externship(s)/where: one pedo week long externship
Research: not really helped with project in school
Extracurriculars:Have worked in pedo practice for 2 years doing sedations and pretty much everything pedo. Not really sure if this helped applied to 37 programs got 6 interviews and luckily I matched somewhere

For everyone who didn't match hang in there. It is a crap shoot. I actually got in to a program I liked but to be honest it was probably the interview I felt the least positive about. I saw over 200 people who ranked programs didn't match. That doesn't include the people who withdrew or the people who didn't get any interviews (didn't rank anywhere). Over 200 seems like a lot to me. Anyway, hang in there. I wish you all the best. If anyone is looking for a job in peds pm me. I boss is looking for some people

Name: Bronx Lebanon
Dental School Attended: 2008
Year Earned DMD/DDS: DMD
NBDE Part I/II scores: 89/86
Class Ranking: 18/118
Externship(s)/where:none, working one year, back to GPR and applied
Extracurriculies: none

Hey cabo....Im currently a 4th year dental student who just matched into an AEGD program....Im very very interested in applying to pedo next year, but I have very limited experience, no research and I wasnt really active in dental school. I was hoping that my AEGD was going to improve my application, but pedo is so competetive these days that Im a bit worried.

I noticed that you got into a really good program at UCLA....wow, congrats! How did you pull that off? Do you have any tips, cause I would love to goto a program like UCLA....living in LA during residency sounds like a dream! Thanks for your help. PM me if you would like.

Has the Pedo Match occurred for everyone? Is it a bad sign if I haven't heard? Maybe my match will come this week in the mail. My friend Blkwidow said he matched at 4 programs. GoneFishin sent me PM and said he prematched in Cincy but then took a spot somewhere else. Does this make any sense?

Anyone match/get into a pedo program with a low 80s part 1 score?

One of my residents matched with low part 1.
Congratulations to you and your successful resident.

Was the class rank high? How much does a GPR play a role in decision factors?

Everyone matched (or not) on Jan 25th. You should have heard either way by email.

No, you cannot 'match' to more than one program.

Yes, you can be offered a position outside of match.

Has the Pedo Match occurred for everyone? Is it a bad sign if I haven't heard? Maybe my match will come this week in the mail. My friend Blkwidow said he matched at 4 programs. GoneFishin sent me PM and said he prematched in Cincy but then took a spot somewhere else. Does this make any sense?

does anyone have an idea, as to how to apply for Jacobi GPR un-matched position. i have emailed the program director, no reply so far!! :(

does anyone have an idea, as to how to apply for Jacobi GPR un-matched position. i have emailed the program director, no reply so far!! :(

Have you tried to call Jacobi to double check if the position is not filled yet? Also, I think the program director there is setdoc7. Good luck.

I highly doubt that anyone could have gotten into a respectable program with low 80's on Part I. Lots of people have low 80's on Part II and match, but to get interviews with low Part I scores would be very difficult. I would think about re-taking.

hi, since you guys are all very experienced in the application process for pedo, can you answer these questions for me please?
(i just started dent :p)

for pedo, what's the cut-off gpa (and also average gpa if you konw) they accept?
does having little experience working with kids after dent school started affect your application if you did quite a bit of work before dent school?

thanks in advance!

I highly doubt that anyone could have gotten into a respectable program with low 80's on Part I. Lots of people have low 80's on Part II and match, but to get interviews with low Part I scores would be very difficult. I would think about re-taking.

Not true, know several residents who got into pedo with low pt 1 scores. It is not as academic as it is patient management. A lot is personality, believe it.

This is mainly responding to Himynameis. To be completely honest people who matched in peds are all over the board as far as rank, gpa, experience, GPR/AEGD, etc go. I know several people who matched at great programs with low board scores. A few more who matched with minimal peds experience while finishing dental school. Some others who have spent ten plus years working in practice. Pedo is really all over the board and it is as much if not more about your personality then anything else (totally agree with setdoc). If you are currently in dschoo;l just do the very best you can, see if peds is really for you by spending as much time as possible in the pedo department, and apply. If you don't match try to get into a GPR or AEGD or you can find a job working in a peds office. If you have a good attitude and are willing to work at it you will get in. Just my 2 cents

Not true, know several residents who got into pedo with low pt 1 scores. It is not as academic as it is patient management. A lot is personality, believe it.

Nothing more true. People get in with 75's on part I and part II and in the bottom half of their class. They prove they are truly interested in Pedo, have a good personality and are clinically sound, and they match. Simple as that.

I will be applying to Venice for class of 2011. Any tips?

Hey I hope all is well.

I had a few questions about U of F ped, I was hoping to ask. I hope you don't mind, thank you so much and take care.