International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vimal98

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am an international student from India. Did undergrad in Chemical Engg. in india (GPA 3.26). Did Masters in biotechnology at University of Connecticut (GPA 3.30). Taking MCAT in April.

Have more than two years of Research Experience. Probably will have some publications before I apply. Volunteering at Hospital right now.

Was wondering what kind of MCAT score I will need to get atleast interviews ?

Replies will be really helpful. Any international student ???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

im not sure since im not an international applicant

but members like calbe are and you can ask them about international stuff in general...

but im thinking that your gpa is low to be competitive as an international applicant.

regardless you would need a very high MCAT. because of your gpa and your international status.

I think you need at least 33.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there,

i'm a canadian citizen (doing undergrad in Canada right now)...hoping to apply this june...

from what i've read from sdn and websites of many schools is that you need to have an undergrad degree (or done partial undergrad work) in either a US or Canadian university..

I'm not sure whether a Masters would count...

I'm not an expert on this...but just giving my opinon

good luck man:)

Originally posted by jacksonchan85
hi there,

i'm a canadian citizen (doing undergrad in Canada right now)...hoping to apply this june...

from what i've read from sdn and websites of many schools is that you need to have an undergrad degree (or done partial undergrad work) in either a US or Canadian university..

I'm not sure whether a Masters would count...

I'm not an expert on this...but just giving my opinon

good luck man:)

Master's counts

Hi.......I am no authority on the issue so please take it for what it's worth, but your grades may be a little too low to apply as an international.....I would think you would need an unbelievale MCAT score, like maybe 34-36, to be competitive......again, just my opinion.

Jeff

I would think you would need an unbelievale MCAT score, like maybe 34-36, to be competitive......again, just my opinion.

Thanks for your reply,

Yeah I thought that I will need MCAT well above 30 to be competitive. Plus as I am an international student still it will be difficult.

Just wanted to know if someone like me has applied or planning to apply.

Originally posted by jlee9531
im not sure since im not an international applicant

but members like calbee are and you can ask them about international stuff in general...

Am I THAT famous? :D
And vimal98, I'd recommend you to do a post-bac program or something that can raise your GPA. It's hard for U.S. citizens with low GPA to get in already; it'll be even harder for foreign students.

Another thing to consider is that int'l students can only apply to certain schools, and many of these are COMPETITIVE schools...so essentially, the competitive is tough.

Some schools that are receptive to Foreign students:

Northwestern
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Stanford (I confirmed this during my interview today)
U of Chicago (If you get an interview, you're not at disadvantage)
Albert Einstein
Washington University

As you can see, these schools are fairly competitive

And vimal98, I'd recommend you to do a post-bac program or something that can raise your GPA. It's hard for U.S. citizens with low GPA to get in already; it'll be even harder for foreign students.

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Calbe

But actually I don't think I have any chance to improve GPA caz I really don't want to go back to school and take more classes. And that's why I just want to fight with whatever chances I have. And probably only one thing left is MCAT. Even I work full time I spend enough time for MCAT.

Another reason for not going back to school is i work in a very small company. We are developing cell specific drug delivery systems. I think if I will publish some papers from this company, that will be plus point for me as its related to Medicine. Not sure though.

Yeah I know schools are competitive. I have seen your profile at MD applicant. Well I am preparing best for MCAT and will see how it works.

Thanks for your suggestions. I know I need more advise !!

Originally posted by CalBeE

Another thing to consider is that int'l students can only apply to certain schools, and many of these are COMPETITIVE schools...so essentially, the competitive is tough.

Northwestern
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Albert Einstein
Washington University

Yes, you are so famous that some of know who you were in a formal life ;).

Northwestern
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Albert Einstein
Washington University

CalBeE,

wow.. I'm surprised that you were able to get 14 interview invites as a foreign applicant. That's great! You give every other international applicants like me some hope!!! I pretty much have similar stats as you but since I applied late, I am having more of a difficult time receiving interviews. I had 1 so far and 3 coming up in February. And now I don't feel so bad that I haven't heard back from JHU, Penn or Yale for over 3 months because it looks like we are in the same shoes and it's not just me that they are doing this to. :p

Congrats guys on your acceptances. I have one aaceptance so far after 8 interviews. For those of you accepted, have you received any offer for institutional aids? Also, do the financial aid offices at the schools offer any type of advice on possible ways to secure loans from private banks. Thanks y'all

i don't think we can get financial aid anywhere...

congrats on your acceptance.. i haven't had any acceptance yet... do you mind me asking where you were accepted and which schools you applied to? I have interviews from Emory, Einstein, USC and UM-mpls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Kashue
Yes, you are so famous that some of know who you were in a formal life ;).

What are you talking about? I'm new to SDN ;)

Originally posted by vimal98

Thanks Calbe

But actually I don't think I have any chance to improve GPA caz I really don't want to go back to school and take more classes. And that's why I just want to fight with whatever chances I have. And probably only one thing left is MCAT. Even I work full time I spend enough time for MCAT.

Another reason for not going back to school is i work in a very small company. We are developing cell specific drug delivery systems. I think if I will publish some papers from this company, that will be plus point for me as its related to Medicine. Not sure though.

Yeah I know schools are competitive. I have seen your profile at MD applicant. Well I am preparing best for MCAT and will see how it works.

Thanks for your suggestions. I know I need more advise !!

Let me use my friend's example (Hope he doesn't mind b/c he reads SDN a lot):

He's a U.S. citizen and didn't have a very spectacular undergrad GPA. However, he went on to get a master's at UCLA and had a high graduate GPA. I think he got a few papers published in the neuoscience area, and I also think he did quite a lot of volunteering.

He got interviews at top schools such as Stanford, UCSF, Mount Sinai, Dartmouth,(among others) etc. His interviewer at Stanford really liked him, but told him that his undergrad GPA will be an obstacle.

I think he got wailisted at Mount Sinai, Dartmouth, and Stanford, but no word yet from UCSF. See this whole process sucks cause sometime you put in so much effort to improve other parts of your app but what's probably keeping you out is one single area.

However, he went on to get a master's at UCLA and had a high graduate GPA.

See this whole process sucks cause sometime you put in so much effort to improve other parts of your app but what's probably keeping you out is one single area.

----------------------------

Thanks

But see that's what I am saying. Evenif your friend got high graduate GPA, still he couldn't make to school.

So My point is, instead of wasting my time in getting more GPA i just want to spend time in preparation of MCAT and other things left. Moreover going back to school and trying to improve GPA will take whole lot of time and time is the only thing I don't have as I am already 23. So I just want to take one shot and apply only one time. I don't want to go through this procedure for years.

Plus I have seen some examples that people with low GPA and higher MCAT have made to school. So otherthan GPA I want to make every single thing strongest possible.

As I have enough of research experience, I will definitely get into good school for Ph.D. And that's my career alternative.

Eitherway i am going back to school in 2005 !!

Originally posted by vimal98

----------------------------

Thanks

But see that's what I am saying. Evenif your friend got high graduate GPA, still he couldn't make to school.

So My point is, instead of wasting my time in getting more GPA i just want to spend time in preparation of MCAT and other things left. Moreover going back to school and trying to improve GPA will take whole lot of time and time is the only thing I don't have as I am already 23. So I just want to take one shot and apply only one time. I don't want to go through this procedure for years.

Plus I have seen some examples that people with low GPA and higher MCAT have made to school. So otherthan GPA I want to make every single thing strongest possible.

As I have enough of research experience, I will definitely get into good school for Ph.D. And that's my career alternative.

Eitherway i am going back to school in 2005 !!

In case you're not familiar with post-bacs, that's the way most people go if they have low undergrad GPA. It doesn't raise your undergrad GPA, but since the classes you take are harder or at about same level as undergrad upper division classes, schools will be more forgiving on undergrad GPA if you do well in post-bac.

Graduate classes, however, have a different grading system. Almost everyone gets either A's or B's, so it's relatively easier to get a higher GPA.

I think it's worth the time to build up a stronger app before applying. You really don't wanna go through the process twice (Trust me, you don't!) Many post-bacs are only one year, so you're essentially taking only one more year to help out your GPA...and that's not a very long time.

I think it's worth the time to build up a stronger app before applying. You really don't wanna go through the process twice (Trust me, you don't!) Many post-bacs are only one year, so you're essentially taking only one more year to help out your GPA...and that's not a very long time.

Thanks CalBeE,

Well yeah I will now think about Post bac. Probably I will do at UConn too. Well will see how it works.

And you agree that the MCAT above 33 is required?

vimal98 said:
... undergrad in Chemical Engg. in india (GPA 3.26). Did Masters in biotechnology at University of Connecticut (GPA 3.30). ...

What school did you go to in India, and how good is that school?

Hi guys, just want to make sure you realize you are posting on a thread that is a little over 4 months old. These people might not be following up on it.

nguyenlili said:
And you agree that the MCAT above 33 is required?

Yes I do, MCAT above 33 is definitely good for international students.

greggth said:
What school did you go to in India, and how good is that school?

I went to Sardar Patel University. Actually its considered as a very good university as when I applied for Masters I got into most of the schools I applied.

I am a graduate student about to complete my PhD. I am planning to apply to medical school next year. I had a question regarding the prerequisites. I had done my undergrad/masters in sciences foreign school (India). I have taken all the prerequisites required by medical school in India. Will i have to join a post-bac?Do I qualify for applying to medical school since I have PhD in molecular biology from US school. I tried contacting 2-3 school, but most of them told me that they aren’t sure if I can. All responses will be appreciated.

Hi guys,

I am an international student having undergrad degree in pharmacy form India.I am doing pre-reqs for med-school from community college. Would that be ok if I complete pre-reqs from Community college and how many credit hours I need to complete to fulfill the requirement of pre-reqs for med school in US?
My GPA of undergrad is 3.8 and GPA of pre-reqs from Community college is 3.87.
What are my chances to get into med school in United States?

This old post might help you get started:
5/18/08
You'll basically find the following types of medical school 1. Those that want 60-90 credits completed in the U.S. with those credits to include chemistry, biology, physics, organic chemistry, and sometimes English. These schools are most common. Sometimes completion of the prerequisite courses alone with satisfy the Admissions Committee and they'll let you slide if you have a M.S. or a Ph.D. (with a decent GPA) from the U.S.
2. Those that want an entire U.S. undergraduate degree earned from scratch (Mayo Clinic springs to mind). These schools are uncommon.
3. Those that want 60-90 credits completed in the U.S., and the credits can be a mix of graduate school credits and one or two scattered prerequisites. If you look hard enough, you'll find a handful of these schools. This is the route that I took, but keep in mind that no two applicants look the same and so conditions will vary.
4. Those that want 60-90 credits completed in the U.S. and they won't make you do the prerequisites over. These medical schools are VERY hard to find, and usually a political connection at the school makes this possible.

If you want to bypass studying for a U.S. undergraduate degree, some colleges will allow you to roll several years of foreign undergraduate credits on a 'pass' basis into a an accelerated U.S. undergraduate degree, and you may only get away with taking the prerequisites over 18 months. Find BlueMirage on SDN. This is what he did, and he successfully gained admission, too.

In all of the above cases, a professional evaluated transcript of the foreign credits will generally be expected. AMCAS will not verify those grades, but several medical schools will add them to your file.

All of the above information also assumes that the applicant has a green card or U.S. citizenship; without that, the level of difficulty in securing admission for each of the above cases should be multiplied several fold.

Your previous work has a good GPA. Your chances will depend on your US coursework GPA and a very good MCAT score, good Letters of Recommendation, having the usual and customary extracurricular activities, like clinical experience, community service, and doctor shadowing, (all required) and the desirable leadership, teaching, and research.

Last edited: