Re-apply while deferring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auricae

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am probably deferring my acceptance to medical school for a year. However, in the last few months, I found some new medical schools that I wouldn't mind applying to. Is it possible to apply to these schools while still holding my acceptance (in the form of a deferment?). I'm guessing I can't, but it would be cool if I could...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Auricae
Hey guys,

I am probably deferring my acceptance to medical school for a year. However, in the last few months, I found some new medical schools that I wouldn't mind applying to. Is it possible to apply to these schools while still holding my acceptance (in the form of a deferment?). I'm guessing I can't, but it would be cool if I could...

I've heard of people doing it - there's even a profile under MDapplicants of someone who defered Case Western to apply to UWashington. I'd call up the school you were accepted to and ask if it was cool with them.

how is this not illegal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Chrisobean
how is this not illegal?

It is. There have been numerous posts about this. Let's get this straight: you apply to schools you want to go to. If you don't want to go, don't apply. Once you're in to a school, if you decide to screw that school, it's up to you, but there are consequences. That school you're defering will find out you're applying elsewhere and they're not going to be happy. The deferment is not an allowance to apply wherever you want again...it's meant for students who are set on going to that school, but simply have other things to attend to for a year before they can continue their studies.

if the AAMC somehow got wind of it, or the schools (i'm sure its not out of the realm of possibilities that schools distribute lists of deferred students similar to how they must reveal who they have accepted after May 15th), you'd be up the proverbial creek w/o a paddle, and sailing towards the carribean for your allopathic degree.

dont do it.

How did this guy get away with it?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=595

" made the mistake of applying to schools I wouldn't have actually attended. After getting accepted at Case Western (and two others) and placed on the alternate list at the University of Washington, I decided that I liked UW so much that I deferred my acceptance at Case Western in order to reapply once more at UW (and Stanford). I'll interview at UW on February 4th. Still waiting to hear from Stanford.

2001-2002 - Started applying but AMCAS messed up my GPA and I withdrew my application and got a refund; only filled out one secondary to the University of Washington; no interview.
2002-2003 - Applied to 22 schools. Invited to 11 interviews. Went to 7 interviews. Accepted at 3 schools. Alternate at 3 schools."

Originally posted by Kashue

" made the mistake of applying to schools I wouldn't have actually attended. After getting accepted at Case Western (and two others) and placed on the alternate list at the University of Washington, I decided that I liked UW so much that I deferred my acceptance at Case Western in order to reapply once more at UW (and Stanford). I'll interview at UW on February 4th. Still waiting to hear from Stanford.

2001-2002 - Started applying but AMCAS messed up my GPA and I withdrew my application and got a refund; only filled out one secondary to the University of Washington; no interview.
2002-2003 - Applied to 22 schools. Invited to 11 interviews. Went to 7 interviews. Accepted at 3 schools. Alternate at 3 schools."

We dont know what happened this year since he got into case '03. Hopefully he'll get in nowhere b/c this is pure stupidity. With his GPA and MCAT he should be crapping in his pants he even got into Case.

Originally posted by exmike
We dont know what happened this year since he got into case '03. Hopefully he'll get in nowhere b/c this is pure stupidity. With his GPA and MCAT he should be crapping in his pants he even got into Case.

Yea hmmm, wierd. I guess the best thing would be to call the school up anonymously and ask what they think. or better yet, talk to your premed advisor.

Don't try this; if you apply through AMCAS they will note the discrepancy and you will likely end up going to an offshore school or becoming a physician's assistant. You should withdraw your application from all programs and reapply next year to only the programs you are genuinely interested in.

Actually, it really depends on the school. I know that most schools will make you sign a waiver when you defer stating that you will not apply to another school in the meantime. Other schools, like Rochester, will allow you to apply. The idea behind allowing it is that if you really don't want to go to that school, they don't want you there either.

keep in mind that this guy could be lying/exagerating/bending the truth. while lying here on SDN can be good for a laugh (i.e. our friend SquatNSqueeze), i don't know what someone's motivation would be to lie on mdapplicants. still, i wouldn't take something as truth just because i saw it on an annonymous web posting.

You should read up on each school. I know that many require you to apply early decision AMCAS for the following year, with guaranteed admission. Thus, you would only be allowed to apply for one.

(Although it sucks that you would have to go through the AMCAS headache and $$ again) :)

Treg

Don't tell me that you believe everything you read on the internet. :hardy:

if you are accepted to an out-of-state school or an expensive in-state private school, they might very well allow to defer and reapply to your state school, etc. i would like to know where the policy is set in stone that this is even a problem. while i do agree you should probably be up front with the school you are deferring, i don't see why they would even notice that you are applying elsewhere.

Originally posted by exmike

If you remember that thread from last year, his post-bacc gpa at a state school was a perfect 4.0. The MIT factor plays a role here concerning the overall gpa. Also, let's not forget he is an URM. Those two things played to his advantage in a huge way.

It's not pure stupidity IF he already checked into it with Case, and according to the thread they okay'ed it. It makes a lot more sense for him to go to UWash since that is his #1 choice, and seeing as how he was #8 on the Idaho alternate list last year he has a decent chance of getting in this year. It's really a no lose situation since CWRU gave him permission and assured him his spot would still be there, and good luck to him.

I figured I'd chime in here since you all are talking about my MDapplicant profile. First off, I'm impressed that meanderson did such extensive research as to know my reasons for deferring among other details. As for exmike, he can kiss my a$$.

Secondly, I really wish students would stop passing off information on SDN as if it were fact when they aren't 100% sure. It is possible at SOME schools to defer an acceptance AND reapply the next year. I happened to luck out in that CWRU was one of these schools. Going into the application cycle last year I knew that UW was my top choice and the best fit for me, but I also figured that I'd go wherever I got in. Am I fortunate to have an acceptance at Case Western? Heck yeah! But knowing that I got really so close to my top choice made me want to try one more time, especially since UW is one third the tuition. And with the permission of CWRU to feel free to reapply elsewhere, it really was a win-win situation. In my year off I got two publications, graduated from my post-bac with a great GPA, and worked at Hewlett Packard as a supervisor in a testing lab. It was a year well spent.

From what I've been told, most state schools are hesitant to grant deferrals, especially if you want to reapply. If you don't want to matriculate, there are a dozen students that will take your place. On the other hand, some private schools like CWRU may let you do it. If they like you enough to offer an acceptance, they would rather let you reapply elsewhere and still come back to them rather than severing ties completely by preventing deferrals. The lesson here is to check with the particular school.

If anyone has any specific questions for me, feel free to PM me. I'm more than willing to share my experiences.

-wolferman

Originally posted by wolferman
I figured I'd chime in here since you all are talking about my MDapplicant profile. First off, I'm impressed that meanderson did such extensive research as to know my reasons for deferring among other details. As for exmike, he can kiss my a$$.

Secondly, I really wish students would stop passing off information on SDN as if it were fact when they aren't 100% sure. It is possible at SOME schools to defer an acceptance AND reapply the next year. I happened to luck out in that CWRU was one of these schools. Going into the application cycle last year I knew that UW was my top choice and the best fit for me, but I also figured that I'd go wherever I got in. Am I fortunate to have an acceptance at Case Western? Heck yeah! But knowing that I got really so close to my top choice made me want to try one more time, especially since UW is one third the tuition. And with the permission of CWRU to feel free to reapply elsewhere, it really was a win-win situation. In my year off I got two publications, graduated from my post-bac with a great GPA, and worked at Hewlett Packard as a supervisor in a testing lab. It was a year well spent.

From what I've been told, most state schools are hesitant to grant deferrals, especially if you want to reapply. If you don't want to matriculate, there are a dozen students that will take your place. On the other hand, some private schools like CWRU may let you do it. If they like you enough to offer an acceptance, they would rather let you reapply elsewhere and still come back to them rather than severing ties completely by preventing deferrals. The lesson here is to check with the particular school.

If anyone has any specific questions for me, feel free to PM me. I'm more than willing to share my experiences.

-wolferman

I knew Mom was right when she told me to believe in Santa and wolfmen, err wolferman!

It worked! I got into UWSOM this year after deferring my acceptance to Case Western. My letter arrived in the mail today. :D

A bit of advice to all those considering reapplying while deferring: Research your ability to defer AND reapply thoroughly. Some private schools like CWRU will do it. Some state schools may also (I don't know personally). Just make sure you know for sure before you risk anything. And only risk a year of your life if you know you'll be a better applicant.

For me I improved in 3 ways. First, I graduated from my post-bac with a near perfect GPA. Second, I got two publications over the summer. Third, I worked as a supervisor in a testing lab for a fortune 100 firm. The school will be asking themselves why they should accept you this year versus last year. If you don't give them a reason, they'll reject you. And I would have given up this year if UWSOM still didn't like me. After all, I'd used up my bag of tricks. There was little I could do between this year and next year to significantly improve.

I'll leave you with the words of Mark Twain who said it best: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no sense being a damn fool about it.

Originally posted by wolferman
It worked! I got into UWSOM this year after deferring my acceptance to Case Western. My letter arrived in the mail today. :D

A bit of advice to all those considering reapplying while deferring: Research your ability to defer AND reapply thoroughly. Some private schools like CWRU will do it. Some state schools may also (I don't know personally). Just make sure you know for sure before you risk anything. And only risk a year of your life if you know you'll be a better applicant.

For me I improved in 3 ways. First, I graduated from my post-bac with a near perfect GPA. Second, I got two publications over the summer. Third, I worked as a supervisor in a testing lab for a fortune 100 firm. The school will be asking themselves why they should accept you this year versus last year. If you don't give them a reason, they'll reject you. And I would have given up this year if UWSOM still didn't like me. After all, I'd used up my bag of tricks. There was little I could do between this year and next year to significantly improve.

I'll leave you with the words of Mark Twain who said it best: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. There's no sense being a damn fool about it.

Congrats, I've been waiting for word. great news!

If you didn't sign anything when deferring stating that you agree not to apply to other schools all the legal stuff, then go for it. I have heard that you do agree not to apply to other school in the time and you don't want the school suing you for a seat that costs $150k+ in the 4 years. First thing, check what you signed.

Congrats wolfermann!!! A great story indeed, congrats also on ur publications, thats more than awesome!! Talk about a terrific year!!! :clap:
I was the one u helped out by sending the howard secondary!!