Official Homo Premed Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravellinDoc

So very very tired.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, ok, so apparently I can't even make fun of myself, here. Lighten up people! the SDN PC police have to mandate how I refer to my sexual orientation. That's pretty sick. so after having been closed down by the SDN Mom for my "tone," I'm gonna start a more "tolerant" and "appropriate" thread. So, those of you who are "gay" (sorry, is that ok to say, Mom?) how is this process going for you? Are you out to the ADCOMMs? any thoughts, concerns, questions? Personally not out, but think I should be. non-"gay" comments welcome, prejudiced or otherwise. Hope this one is allowed . . .:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

lol.....really hard to get that across in a politically correct way !! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TravellinDoc
Wow, ok, so apparently I can't even make fun of myself, here. Lighten up people! the SDN PC police have to mandate how I refer to my sexual orientation. That's pretty sick. so after having been closed down by the SDN Mom for my "tone," I'm gonna start a more "tolerant" and "appropriate" thread. So, those of you who are "gay" (sorry, is that ok to say, Mom?) how is this process going for you? Are you out to the ADCOMMs? any thoughts, concerns, questions? Personally not out, but think I should be. non-"gay" comments welcome, prejudiced or otherwise. Hope this one is allowed . . .:rolleyes:

Hey, sorry you got hassled for being you. :(

I am really interested in the answer to that question too! I'm a big fruit-fly and I wouldn't mind if all doctors were gay, except for me, when I'm a doctor, of course, cuz that would make things more fun. But I honestly can't say whether coming out to the adcomm's is smart or not - unfortunately gays remain the only minority (or one of the few, can't think of many others) against whom discrimination is still accepted in our society. I hope in 30 or 40 years this won't be an issue, but for now, it really sucks, and I don't know what I'd do!

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought it was dumb that they closed your other thread. Of course they closed my thread asking about toilet hygiene:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by Cerberus
i thought it was dumb that they closed your other thread. Of course they closed my thread asking about toilet hygiene:confused: :confused:

Three times at that!

I'm a ***. What's wrong with the word ***? People don't still take offense to that do they? Sorry mom.

Seriously though I applied to over 30 schools and got 18 interviews. I wrote about my friend who was also gay that destroyed his life with drugs and almost killed himself, and about my process of dealing with my sexuality. It was all good.

Now, I'm just hoping I'll get to go to my top choice school which happens to be in one of the *** capitals of the US- NYC.

Yay!

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
I'm a ***. What's wrong with the word ***? People don't still take offense to that do they? Sorry mom.

Seriously though I applied to over 30 schools and got 18 interviews. I wrote about my friend who was also gay that destroyed his life with drugs and almost killed himself, and about my process of dealing with my sexuality. It was all good.

Now, I'm just hoping I'll get to go to my top choice school which happens to be in one of the *** capitals of the US- NYC.

Yay!

:clap: you go with yo' bad self!

Yay!

I think it is similar to blacks using the N word. Sure they feel comfortable using it around each other. Some non-blacks even use it to mean "homie" :rolleyes:

But "***" does have negative connotations in society, and although I suppose its up to those that belong to that group whether or not to embrace that word, I think the purpose of censoring that word is to provent it's usage in a derogatory manner. It may be OK for a black person to say the N word, but not okay for a white person, so the equitable solution on a public forum such as this is to ban its use completely. I guess the same reasoning applies to "***". my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Integra96
Homosexuals are so gay.

Oh really!! you should win an award for that insightful, intelligent comment. way to go integra..!! You should use similar statements with adcoms and they will be intrigued by your massive ability to articulate matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
I call my gay friend jerry a "***" or "queer" all the time, he generally responds but calling me a "****ing hetero". I dont see anuthing particularly offensive abou it.

personally, I think you those who are offended by this thread can eat me. secondly, I appreciate the support of the fruit-flies/***-hags. Thirdly, I don't take offense to pajorative terms referring to us homos like ***, fairy, queer, pillow-biter, butt-pirate, fudge-packer, poll-smoker, etc. I'd like to redirect this thread towards the premed arena, not towards gay issues in general. this is, after all, SDN. Anyone who's out to ADCOMMs feel a little tension? Anyone feel a lot of support from them if you are out? couldn't say. kinda feel like I should only allow people i trust to know. I'm not stereotypically gay, so I can hide it, but feel like a bit of a sellout for doing so. I'm not really obligated to come out to everyone, so why should I? comments?

I've been fairly candid during the application process--almost to the point of being controversial--and the results have been mixed... but if the adcoms don't like what I have to say, then I probably wouldn't be happy there in the first place. I wrote one essay and talked to interviewers about some fcuked-up experiences I had while working at an HIV clinic... while in some others, I addressed my coming-out experiences, where I talked about being raised in a rural and conservative environment, only to be educated at a (pseudo) "liberal" and "accepting" college. I also spoke of my inability to relate to "stereotypical individuals who cause sociopolitcal commotion over sexuality" (referring to queens). I know that I have used the word "******" in at least one of my interviews, and I have always tried to ask about gay medical students and whether or not they are closeted, happy, etc.

I have pretty much decided it doesn't matter what school I end up at... as long as it is located in a big city, I will be satiated.

As my favourite fairie princesses bluntly told the campus queen who was all excited that I had outed myself: "Yeah, but don't get your hopes up, dear, because boomuntilnoon doesn't like fags."

Yay!

And I'm a **** (or a lesbian). My label depends on how radical I am feeling on a given day ;)

I was out my my applications, not on the AMCAS because being gay was not really part of my decision to pursue medicine. But I was out on all my secondaries, talked about having to transfer out of my first college due to homophobia/harassment, and like DK the friend I had whose lives were nearly ruined, and how all of that inspired me to work for change. I only applied to 9 schools, have gotten 5 interviews so far, no rejections yet. So I really doubt it has hurt me. It was brought up in 2 interviews, once by a student, once by faculty, and I brought it up at another one. Each time the conversations were very positive. I only applied to schools in places that I would want to live as an out lesbian so I think that plays a role too.

My only concern is at a couple of the schools it seemed that while the interviewers were fine with it, there was no GLBT presence among the students. But I recognize that there are few out GLBT med students, especially lesbian med students, so it isn't that surprising. I do not feel like I would have a BAD experience being out at any of the schools I have been to.

So, those of you who are "gay" (sorry, is that ok to say, Mom?) how is this process going for you? Are you out to the ADCOMMs? any thoughts, concerns, questions? Personally not out, but think I should be.

Why do you want to tell an ADCOMM about your sexual preferences?

Johnny

Originally posted by Disenchanted 1
Oh really!! you should win an award for that insightful, intelligent comment. way to go integra..!! You should use similar statements with adcoms and they will be intrigued by your massive ability to articulate matters.

Wow, someone needs to lighten up - or, perhaps, work on one's ability to articulate a light-hearted post in the spirit of the OP. Or just get laid. Whatever it takes, eh.

I agree with Johnny. I fully support gays, and don't feel they should feel repressed at all, but i do wonder why pple would want to discuss their sexuality on a medschool app. i'm not being a critic, i'm really curious.

Originally posted by Integra96
Wow, someone needs to lighten up - or, perhaps, work on one's ability to articulate a light-hearted post in the spirit of the OP. Or just get laid. Whatever it takes, eh.

Well if it was in a light-hearted spirit, then more power to you!!
As far as being laid, I think you need it more than me !! ;)

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
I agree with Johnny. I fully support gays, and don't feel they should feel repressed at all, but i do wonder why pple would want to discuss their sexuality on a medschool app. i'm not being a critic, i'm really curious.

This topic came up last year on SDN and I wrote a long response. I'm too tired to find it right now but tomorrow at work I will try to find that thread. Anyway, for me the bottom line is that coming out played a big role in shaping my life and helped to make me who I am today. I dealt with a lot of prejudice and hostility and it gave me a different perspective on the world than I would have had otherwise. That is going to inform my experience as a doctor, how I interact with my patients, and the communities I choose to practice in. The work I have done as a community activist, in building coalitions, in working for justice and equality, has strengthened my desire to work with underserved communties of all sorts. So on the apps, or in an interview, when they ask about overcoming obstacles, about experiences working with diverse groups of people, about teamwork, about listening and being open-minded, about what type of medicine I see myself practicing, it is very relevant.

Also, I am not about to hide some of the ECs I have done that are GLBT related. I transferred out of a college that was a very homophobic environment. So if they ask about these activities or why I left X university, I am not going to hide and lie. Being a lesbian is one part of who I am. If it seems like it should be addressed in an application or interview I am going to bring it up alongside all the other stuff I have done, research, clinical work, community service, etc. The point of the process seems to be (or at least attempts) to get to know you as a person and to see if you will be a good fit at a certain school. I believe it is important for me to be open and honest in order to do that.

That's my $.02 for now. Hope that provides some clarity.

thanks for the thoughtful response. i guess coming from NY, i don't really get to see alot of pple fighting homophobia. but, i can see how it could possibly be a major factor in your life outside of just who you date.

yay i love this thread!

and yes growing up gay in a farm town plays a big part in shaping who you are.

yay i love this thread!

and yes growing up gay in a farm town plays a big part in shaping who you are.

what happened to your fetus avatar?

oh i decided to retire it for now.

i just got my new powerbook for med school so i'm all about apple now.

We have to give credit where credit is due!

I give all those who have been TOTALLY honest and sharing of themeselves on their apps/interviews the utmost respect and huge props.

The only thing worse than a premed, is a premed who selectivly tells you all the things they "think" you want to hear while leaving out the reason they are going into medicine.... THE HUMAN COMPONENT!

Unfortunately, although we think our society is "understanding" and "open," people still get dragged behind trucks, rejected from blood donation centers, and harrased if they want to adopt a child.

Thank you, in advance, to all those who are going into to medicine with the goal of being open minded and humanistic!

P.S. Props to Apple for making the computer that the top 5% of computer users choose to own!

oh i decided to retire it for now.

i just got my new powerbook for med school so i'm all about apple now.

Wow, we're getting close, arn't we? I am soooo excited for it all to start. I know I must sound like a nerd, but it feels like I have been preparing for this forever and it's almost finally here.

And on a more related note...thanks TravellinDoc for starting this thread. I definately hope there arn't just heteros at my med school :)

yes, its very surreal and hard to believe. and scary! i'm going to have to work twice as hard as i do now (at least).

but i'm ready :)

Originally posted by snowbear
Wow, we're getting close, arn't we? I am soooo excited for it all to start. I know I must sound like a nerd, but it feels like I have been preparing for this forever and it's almost finally here.

personally, I think you those who are offended by this thread can eat me.

Is this a request?

hey peeps

My personal statement was actually about my coming out process and the hatred and ignorance I faced from my own parents.....i talked about how until that moment i had been following their dream...and it allowed me to see myself as an individual for the first time.....

I am an August Mcater....and so far I have received 2 interviews....UCSD and UCLA......

when i went to my ucsd interview just this past thrusday.....BOTH of my interviewers were quite nice, comfortable, and very sympathetic about it.....actually one of my interviewers was quite into the activism that i was into

I think that my homosexuality has shaped part of who i am...and it has indeed made me a stronger and more confident person....since i have been abused verbally and physically in school about this....i have overcome a lot.....

i am sure that perhaps some schools may not have been "approving" but in all reality i could care less.....id rather go to a school that is accepting of all students, no matter what culture, background, religion, race, or sexuality they represent.

so far UCSD has been great....they are even starting to form a new LGBT student group

i personally dont think that being open in your application hurts....the point is they want to know you.....even though it is not anyone's business....you dont have to share it....but since it has shaped my life so extremely.....i would be keeping a major part of myself if i left it out

well thats my 2 cents
good luck everyone on waiting, interviewing, and getting accepted!! the process will soooon be over!

:clap:

"Can you lick my wounds please
Can you make it numb
And kill the pain like cortizone
And grant me intimacy
How'll we split your chromosomes "
---MASSIVE ATTACK

I am no longer a pre-med (currently an MS-III) but i am gay.

I came out in undergrad and it was really a difficult process. It was a big issue for me because i come from a country that you really never know of any homosexuals. So i discussed the hardship of going through years of lonelyness. There wasn't a direct link between homosexuality and medicine but there was a link between homosexuality and coming to America, choosing my undergraduate college and choosing specific medical schools. A lot of schools / interviewers seemed interested at what my opinions were on the challenges that a gay person who choses medicine will face or what it feels like to go through your teen years with such a huge weight on your shoulders and noone to share it with and how that impacts and shapes your future.

Unfortunately, we don't have a GLBT med students group at our school. A couple of attempts failed miserably. Not because there was no interest from the administration or the student body but because we have so very few openly gay students. In an attempt for a gay-straight alliance we had 6 gay people show up and 35 straights which was rather weird.

We are trying to start a gay group between the medical schools of the area but i am not so sure how that will turn out.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Brickhouse,

Did you mean "suck" figuratively or literally?

Also , why are homo's trying to take all the good derogitory terms away from us hetro's?

We are going to have to come up with some new one's if you keep refering to yourself as "queer" and "***".

Hmm how about "sugar-pies" or "tutti fruities"?

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by reaton
Brickhouse,

Did you mean "suck" figuratively or literally?

Also , why are homo's trying to take all the good derogitory terms away from us hetro's?

We are going to have to come up with some new one's if you keep refering to yourself as "queer" and "***".

Hmm how about "sugar-pies" or "tutti fruities"?

Any suggestions?

Why don't you learn to spell the word derogatory before you use it in a sentence?

And please learn how to use an apostrophe correctly. Here are some guidelines from www.dictionary.com:

a?pos?tro?phe1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pstr-f)
n.
The superscript sign ( ' ) used to indicate the omission of a letter or letters from a word, the possessive case, or the plurals of numbers, letters, and abbreviations.

Thus, unless you are trying to omit letters when you write "homo's," "hetero's," and "one's," the second and third sentences in your post make little sense.

I would think that it would be helpful to have a good grasp on the English language before you try to use it to invent new terms to use in your daily speech. Just my $.02.

:laugh:

well gosh, i'm sorry i can't spull ur use correct gummer. you rully hurt me badd!!!

get ur head out of you arss and liten up buzzo!

I have classmates who have come out on a variety of topics including their sexual orientation, struggles with mental illness, and chronic physical illness. Most of them were also up front during the interview process because they didn't want to be accepted to a school that was not sympathetic/tolerant. It takes a lot of guts to do that, but I also understand why some people just aren't ready for that kind of personal exposure.

I was at an interview where one of the other interviewers made openly homophobic comments in the waiting room of the admissions office. I could hardly believe that in this day and age and in that kind of circumstance someone would be so openly politically incorrect. The rest of us in the room just stared at the guy and moved on in the conversation. In retrospect, I wish I would have called him on it, but interviews are anxiety-ridden enough without picking fights.

I'm just reading this thread for the first time...and I just want to say how much I admire you guys and girls who are out in the application process. I'm not gay, but I live in a part of the country that is still extremely conservative and intolerant, and I see a lot of homophobia and discrimination. It makes me so angry!!!! I hope you all get into your first-choice schools, and may one day this world (and the medical school application process) be accepting of people for who they are!!

atpase

this country needs more people like you and the people at sdn.......its a sad world we live in where most people dont believe in giving the same rights to us as any other human being living in this country

for a land that proclaims to be a land where all men are created equal....i dont think there was ever a clause that ever said, except "homosexuals"...or any other culture, race, creed, or background

my interview at ucsd made me feel so good, my interviewer was so great about my sexuality and he commended me on my work as an activist...i just hope more of the medical community follow his same thought process

and if not, it is up to everyone, straight and gay to stand up for the rights of ALL people...and in that sense we shall move forward into a more just and equal society:clap:

Amen! Let's start a revolution. I'm trying to do my part here in the Deep South. I'm glad you found a place you felt welcome. Have you been accepted? Best of luck...

we should start a revolution! thatd be hella fun

i just interviewed at ucsd, and i have ucla coming up....but no acceptances yet, these are my first two interviews...so im hoping!

but ucsd looked as a great accepting school...and having gone to ucla, ucla is very accepting.....lots of campus groups!

but gosh, the south must be quite scary if i was living there.....i think id be lynched...thats one reason i didnt apply anywhere there...sad that i had to take that option though

It's not as if there aren't gay clubs or gay communities here (Atlanta is pretty open, but I live in Birmingham, which is much less so), but it's the Bible Belt and the fundamentalists seem intent on spreading more hate than love.

Originally posted by reaton
well gosh, i'm sorry i can't spull ur use correct gummer. you rully hurt me badd!!!

get ur head out of you arss and liten up buzzo!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAhahahahaha!!! Great... just great!!:clap: :clap:

I'm a bi-girl and I've been working in the GLBT student services office on my campus for the last two years running a speaker's bureau that serves three different colleges. After much deliberation (and lots of advice - some good, some bad), I decided to include my work in the GLBT community on my AMCAS essay - I wanted to highlight my leadership experience, and there was no way to do that without lying or omitting the office name. The pre-med advisor at my school supported my decision to leave it in the essay, but said that I should be prepared for some fairly intestive questioning about it in my interviews. I've had one interview so far (with two coming up), and my GLBT involvement was the first thing both interviewers asked about. It was a little nerve wracking, because I couldn't get a sense of where they were coming from. But I do think it would've been even more difficult to sit through an interview bs'ing about the work I've done. I figure if they aren't going to accept me because of the GLBT thing, I probably don't want to be there anyhow.

Did you get accepted Julia?

I hope you did :)