University New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hndrx1a

electric medical haze
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about their Gas program?

Members don't see this ad.

Consider UNM if you are an avid outdoorsman, otherwise I would advise you to persue a stronger program. The residents and staff are very nice there. Sort of that hometownish feel...quaint is the word. I ultimately checked it out because I was in Phoenix for a month. Albuquerque is a relatively poor city (and small at 500,000 pop) and because compensation is lower than average it is tough to recruit new staff. The geographical surroundings however, are what actually keep folks there. The PD is new to the position, old to the institution. Change is in the works at this program.

Vascular is variable to say the least and Cards & Neuro volume is low. Actually neuro was nonexistent in Dec when I interviewed (hiring new staff). To meet cards cases you rotate at a private hospital. There you meet your numbers. The pace is extremely fast there (thoracic neuraxial, piv's, art line, swan, tee placed, pt positioned and anesthetised in around 20 min...fast) its easy to be left in the dust if you aren't an aggressive learner. ICU is run by different surgery and medicine docs simultaneously with various residencies rotating through. Unfortunately there isn't one unified unit round. Instead there are lots of little rounds depending on which attending your patient is under. Can get messy, but learning is achieved none the less.

You can be strong there but as stated above, being aggressive is key. Seems like the department gets pushed around by surgery (this was alluded to by the resident tour guide)...but its easy to blame anesthesia when things go wrong. No secret there. Regional is just starting up with the advent of a new outpatient surgical suite and the residents seem to love it. Peds is a constant exposure. No seperate peds months. When a case comes in (that means on any given call night too) you do it. Trauma is variable, but appreciable. Mainly drunken MVC's.

All in all, this residency truely is what you make of it. There are good cases, but when a real juicy one comes in you may have to stay late to pick it up (or come in on an off day). It isn't like some larger programs where you will get every type of case thrown at you constantly. Most people here come for the mountains and the true southwestern outdoor experience. Name is also not easily recognized if you want to go to a fancy pants academic institution or some big NYC/Cali group practice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Vent!....I didn't think I'd get so much info back! I've looked thru their website...which makes it sound like decent program, esp'ly with their Pain Fellowship; but, don't know 'bout New Mexico for 5yrs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe I remembered all that stuff either. I do remember going out and getting piss drunk with all the applicants after the interview. Definitely the best experience & group of folks encountered on the "trail."

Best o' luck

VentdependenT, how was the interview there? Read it's more like a screening among a big group of applicants than a real interview.

Its about as laid back as it gets. First night there had dinner with the PD and staff. During my interview we mainly discussed the outdoors and my expectations of residency.

VentdependenT, thank you. :p

VentdependenT said:
Consider UNM if you are an avid outdoorsman, otherwise I would advise you to persue a stronger program. The residents and staff are very nice there. Sort of that hometownish feel...quaint is the word. I ultimately checked it out because I was in Phoenix for a month. Albuquerque is a relatively poor city (and small at 500,000 pop) and because compensation is lower than average it is tough to recruit new staff. The geographical surroundings however, are what actually keep folks there. The PD is new to the position, old to the institution. Change is in the works at this program.

Vascular is variable to say the least and Cards & Neuro volume is low. Actually neuro was nonexistent in Dec when I interviewed (hiring new staff). To meet cards cases you rotate at a private hospital. There you meet your numbers. The pace is extremely fast there (thoracic neuraxial, piv's, art line, swan, tee placed, pt positioned and anesthetised in around 20 min...fast) its easy to be left in the dust if you aren't an aggressive learner. ICU is run by different surgery and medicine docs simultaneously with various residencies rotating through. Unfortunately there isn't one unified unit round. Instead there are lots of little rounds depending on which attending your patient is under. Can get messy, but learning is achieved none the less.

You can be strong there but as stated above, being aggressive is key. Seems like the department gets pushed around by surgery (this was alluded to by the resident tour guide)...but its easy to blame anesthesia when things go wrong. No secret there. Regional is just starting up with the advent of a new outpatient surgical suite and the residents seem to love it. Peds is a constant exposure. No seperate peds months. When a case comes in (that means on any given call night too) you do it. Trauma is variable, but appreciable. Mainly drunken MVC's.

All in all, this residency truely is what you make of it. There are good cases, but when a real juicy one comes in you may have to stay late to pick it up (or come in on an off day). It isn't like some larger programs where you will get every type of case thrown at you constantly. Most people here come for the mountains and the true southwestern outdoor experience. Name is also not easily recognized if you want to go to a fancy pants academic institution or some big NYC/Cali group practice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for such detail description.How would you compare this program with Jackson memorial ,Miami?

Completely different programs. I didn't interview at Jackson Memorial so I cannot comment in depth on it. Seems to be a service oriented residency.

Vent, can you address our osteopathic chances at UNM? From what I've seen on the website, it doesn't look like we've breached the program.

Heeed! said:
Vent, can you address our osteopathic chances at UNM? From what I've seen on the website, it doesn't look like we've breached the program.

Heed, You will have no problem - all you need is a pulse. (j/k)

Like another poster pointed out, it is "New" Mexico - yes, it is in this country. :D
I knew a former resident from that program. He said that it's not particularly competitive (for the aforesaid reasons described). The town was not exactly cosmopolitan and for the most part very boring after you have hiked all the trails around some mountain there. He described it as feeling like he was thrown back into a time warp there, but then again, I think there is a lot to be said about peace and quite sometimes. No pro sports teams or big events but they do have some yearly thing with balloons and you can rent mules someplace to ride.

They did have a chair at one time who was some pain guru, but he bailed for better prospects and the new chair is some unknown guy with an MBBS/ MBA (??) - not anyone known in the academic publishing world.

It was my understanding that the attendings are mostly laid back and kinda do their own thing but the pain program isn't much to speak of. He did say that the surgeons were quick to push anesthesia around. Not much research or publishing in the residency program either. I'm not sure what the board pass-rate is, but you can go to the ABA website and do a search to check the attendings names from the program's website, in order to see how many of the attendings are board-certified.

They do supposidly get some trauma cases though, and although the academics may not be like those of the better-known programs, you can get the skills you need to get a job somewhere after your residency. I think you can also get some extra ICU time if you want it - more than required. There is also suppose to be good Mexican food there.

I think Scutwork has some info on it too.