University of Oradea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kent100s78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question.I am an american Undergrad. student who has an oppertunity to go to Romania to attend Medical school(University of Oradea)I would like to know if I do go forth to seek a european medical education what would I need to do in order to get a residency here in the US. Also would I be able to do rotations here in the US or internship? Any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Kent,

I think that the posts in regard to your question regarding Belgrade apply here as well, see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=961474#post961474

I would recommend against Romania for the same reasons, I recommend against Serbia. In one word, corruption.

Regarding European education, see both the AAIMG site on Eastern Europe and the Eastern Europe forum at www.valuemd.com

If your question is, can someone get a six year degree from a school in Eastern Europe and return to the US, the answer is yes.

However, it is not the easiest route by far.

European medical education is nothing like American medical education.

You will need to invest blood, sweat and tears apart from your education to complete the USMLEs and you will apply to residency programs at a disadvantage simply because you went abroad. This may well make it very difficult or impossible to get certain choice residencies.

Regarding rotations, check with the school you are considering. Most hospitals require that you pass Step 1 of the USMLE before you can do a rotation in the US.

I note that you are from NY state. According to NY state law, only students from certain med schools can do more than 12 weeks of rotations in NY state.

Form 2CC is not needed for graduates of the following medical schools, which have been approved by the New York State Education Department to allow students to complete more than 12 weeks of clinical clerkships in New York State. The schools are:

St. George's University School of Medicine, St. George's, Grenada
Ross University School of Medicine, Roseau, Dominica
Fatima College of Medicine, Manila, Philippines
The Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
International Health and Medicine Program, Ben Gurion University of the Negrev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
English Language Program, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland
English Language Program, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
American University of the Caribbean, St. Martin, Netherland Antilles
Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Netherland Antilles
For more information see http://www.op.nysed.gov/medforms.htm

Good luck.

Miklos

The main reason why I am considering belgrade and Oradea is first I am Romanian Yugoslavian, I speak both languages and have alot of family in both countries,second they are both offering to to accept my college credits to put me in advance placement.Romania offering to put me as a 3rd. year student as well as Serbia. All i would have to complete is 4 years and I am done. Since i am american and english is my native language the TOFEL should not be a problem for me. All I would like to know how many exams would i have to take in order to be licensed here in the USA to get a residency.Most importantly i will be saving appox. 250,000 dollors in loans.

What do you mean by corruption?

Members don't see this ad :)
dude, be very very very careful with advanced standing. if you get credit for medical school courses (eg anatomy, physio, biochem, etc....) that were not taken in a medical school, you will be very screwed come licensure time. states will NOT accept this.

First, I would like to echo Neil's very sound advice. If your advanced standing is rejected by a state medical board, your education becomes essentially worthless.

Second, Yugoslavia no longer exists. The former Yugoslava is now Serbia and Montenegro and Montenegro may yet seceed.

As far as corruption goes, when was the last time you were in the Balkans?

Again, I personally know two people who attend the English program in Belgrade. The reason they are there, is because they failed out of Hungary and now have no problems passing exams. Belgrade is well known as a "school of last resort" for those who can't hack it in Hungary.

With regard to Romania, I spoke to an ethnic Hungarian who did a rotation in Hungary. He attended Cluj Napoc and told me that the English programs in Romania are viewed as extraordinarily corrupt (e.g. pay to pass), though the Romanian programs had their own issues.

Also, none of the English programs in either Serbia or Romania are California accredited and to tell you the truth, I think that they would need to fundamentally reform before that happens.

Good luck.

Hi,im A Foreign Student From Oradea.it Is Not As Extraordinarily Corrupt As Described...there Are Very Dedicated Professors And Lecturers Its Up To The Individual, I Have Completed Usmle I. Ii Successfully. The Standard Of Education Is Efficeint Enough To Get You Your Degree And Pass The Us Boards All You Have To Do Is Work For It.feel Free To Email Me If You Have Any Other Questions Id Like To Help

I would like to email you regaarding some questions on oradea, but your email dosent appear.

-Davidsen

deja42 said:
Hi,im A Foreign Student From Oradea.it Is Not As Extraordinarily Corrupt As Described...there Are Very Dedicated Professors And Lecturers Its Up To The Individual, I Have Completed Usmle I. Ii Successfully. The Standard Of Education Is Efficeint Enough To Get You Your Degree And Pass The Us Boards All You Have To Do Is Work For It.feel Free To Email Me If You Have Any Other Questions Id Like To Help

hey, if u are really a student who graduate in oradea, as u say, u know very well that what u said abt corruption is not true. There is corruption left and right. Everybody is corupt. U pay, u pass... hahaaaaaa, is like this, u attentd and study hard u also pass. But don't come and say that there is no corruption in romania, especially in oradea. Pls don't make full of the pure ppls who wanna come and learn medicine

if you are consiering coming to romania to do the english medical programme, then i urge you to consider only carol davila and cluj; If you come to oradea then believe me you will regret it. Make no mistake about it; though i will like to add that in terms of safety no city in romania can be compared to oradea. Oradea is very very safe but in terms of solid medical education well all i can say to anyone who is considering this place is good luck. And whatever you do or decide do not make the biggest mistake of ur life using the agents of this website ; www.oradeauniversity.com. They will rip you apart, well let say you are paying them 2000/3000 euros for absolutely nothing. dont believe what the agents say on their websdite, its full of gibberish. they wont do anything for u. Anyway its ur decision and good luck.

kibokoni said:
if you are consiering coming to romania to do the english medical programme, then i urge you to consider only carol davila and cluj; If you come to oradea then believe me you will regret it. Make no mistake about it; though i will like to add that in terms of safety no city in romania can be compared to oradea. Oradea is very very safe but in terms of solid medical education well all i can say to anyone who is considering this place is good luck. And whatever you do or decide do not make the biggest mistake of ur life using the agents of this website ; www.oradeauniversity.com. They will rip you apart, well let say you are paying them 2000/3000 euros for absolutely nothing. dont believe what the agents say on their websdite, its full of gibberish. they wont do anything for u. Anyway its ur decision and good luck.

u are perfectly right about anything u said, but there is another good medical school in timisora, and i think is after cluj, the best

anda_diana said:
u are perfectly right about anything u said, but there is another good medical school in timisora, and i think is after cluj, the best

plus, there is no such a fees called admission fee, all the student after arrived in romania, realized that those agents did nothing but make them pay for something that does not exist... admission fee... hahaaaaaa.

Wow, what a thread! I'm a Romanian-American in my 4th year of school at Carol Davila in Bucharest, the English Program. I was fully aware of the "stigma" foreign grads have upon returning to the US, but decided to study abroad anyway for a variety of personal reasons, including family, roots, and saving LOTS of money.

Corruption? yes, there is a certain amount of corruption. Not nearly as much as is proported, especially by those who do NOT live here. The English program in Bucharest is excellent. As compared to my brother who finished at Tulane and as compared to mahy friends in Med School in the USA, I do not feel at al shortchanged or inadequately trained. In fact, the 6 year program here is very intense and includes rotations and courses which American students do not. The US training is more practical, that I will grant, whereas here we study much more theory (details and facts). Another great thing about studying in Romania is the clinical contact; we have access to patients 24/7, as much as we want, free to poke an dprod them, as it is our medical student god given right! :) You learn so, so much this way.

We have excellent professors, the young, english-speaking generation who are fresh and lively and very dedicated, we are given the best hospital in Bucharest to train in, our group is small (only 11 in 4th year) and so all of med school so far has been like a private tutorial. Students in the States do not have such one on one training as we do here.

I have never paid for an exam or had anyone suggest to me such a thing, nor have any of my classmates. It is true that I am top of the class, but we all study hard and are justly rewarded come exam time.

The downside is endless bureaucratic crap and strange loopy administration that drives you insane, mad, and crazy. But Bucharest is beautiful the training is done with care and competence, and for those of us of Romanian ancestry, its a wonderful way to learn about our heritage.

I would also reccommend the University of Cluj, but NOT Timisoara, Oradea, Constanta or anyplace else. They are poorly reputed within Romania itself.

Romania is making an active and constant effort to offer good training to physicians, to improve its educational and governmental system. It has produced many excellent doctors and researchers! It is not comparable to Belgrade by any means. This is a country with a reputable medical history and very proud of it :)

example: the first woman neurosurgeon in the world was a Romanian (still alive and well at age 80+)!

Its sometimes iritating to be subject to the quick and uninformed predjudice of especially Americans (I am a proud American myself, dont get me wrong) when it comes to far off countries. There are smart people and there is good stuff going on in other places as well, not only in the States.

Any questions, feel free to email. I'm here for 2 more years befor eheading back home to the US for residency. Yes, it is posible to pass the STEPS and match into a residency at home in the US. All you need to do is love medicine and know medicine.

I go (went) to school in Hungary (Debrecen) very close to Romanian border. I would listen very carefully to what Miklos says. he is right. You speak Romanian, so I think you would have much easier time in Romania, however, the schools there are not as well versed as the Czech, Polish and Hungarian schools offering english language program. Giving you so many advance standing courses will jeopardize your future plans when you apply for licensure. And the medical board WILL look at EVERY undergrad and grad course you took. And if they don't add up...you're outta there!! Even if you have 99,99,99 on your boards!! Only Poland has the 4 year program I think, everybody else is 6 years. :confused: maybe Bucharest would be better, and I'm sure the Romanian women are extremely hot!!! Just ask lots of questions before you jump in, but I recently graduated and now have an internship waiting for me this July, so you can succeed here, just work hard. szia

Hello,

I am a Romanian-Canadian student (dual citizenship) and I'm thinking of applying to med school in Romania preferably Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Cluj english program. I have a bio degree from a Canadian university and I need help on a number of issues.

1) How hard is it to get into med school in Romania and what are the prospects for returning to Canada or the US in terms of residency? I know it's hard and I have looked at the CARMS reports so anyone with personal experience as an IMG please help

2) What is the current state of Romanian med schools, I know about the corruption in Romania and all that so any info on Cluj would be appreciated.

3) How does Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy compare to other Romanian med schools and other schools (US, Carib, Canadian) in terms of quality of education, clinical rotations?

4) Is it possible to fund your own education once there? I know it's 5000 euros per year which isn't nearly as much as Canadian/US/Carib school but still expensive, does the university provide employment for students like TA'ing? Also what are job prospects like for students there? Would I be able to earn 5000 euros a year working?

5) I have a lot of leadership experience and hospital volunteer experience, is that something they take into consideration? Would my bio degree be a help?

Anyone that has any info please comment and enlighten me! Thank you!