How to increase concentration for reexam-part1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snow white

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have given part 1 in dec. but want to improve score and is planning to reappear in july 2004---- but not able to concentrate at all. I am going for a one day job as dental assistant also and try to study other days. I am having whole day to study but not able to concentrate for an hour also. Getting tensed and frustrated - don't know what to do??????????????? Please give me some suggestions. Waiting for your reply..............:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hi snow white
i know it can get frustrating studying all the time. you should try to solve question papers and then study the parts you are not doing good at.

try to make a task list (realistic one) and tick of the things you get done. it can be a great motivator.

combined studies helps too.

i wish you all the best
hope this is of help
take care

Hi Snowwhite,
try and relax before studying.don't think about your previous scores etc.I know its easier said than done.
Try to reward yourself when you complete a cetain task(like I used to keep a chocolate in front of me and complete my deadline)..just an example..
take care

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi snow white..

I think we all can identify with what you're going through.. Im very easily distractable.. what I did was to form a clear mental picture of myself at dental school (my classes, classmates, apartment, friends), I set that as my goal and everytime I felt myself getting distracted, I'd remind myself either mentally or with a Post-It on the wall that 3 months of studying hard would ensure that I get into the school of my dreams.. and eventually get me the life I've always wanted. Sounds far fetched?? It works!!! You really have to consciously drag your mind off the things that distract you (find out what those are and keep them away) and onto your books. Make sure you get enough of rest, too. A tired mind can easily wander.

Good luck. :)

Tasha

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful advice. i am feeling better now and would try your given suggestions.Thank you once again........:)

1. Jot down things that are on your mind before you study, then set this list to the side. Add to it anything that distracts you as you are studying. Take care of the list later.

2. Study at the same time each day. A regular schedule can help you frame this as ?study time?.

3. Set a timer for an hour, don't allow yourself to stop studying until it goes off.

4. Take breaks. A three minute break for every 30 minutes of study is a good guideline. Take a longer break after 90 minutes.

5. Set goals for your session that are realistic (number of MCQs to solve, pages to read, etc.) When you have met one of your study goals, reward yourself with a short break. Then, return to your study area.

6. Study in an area away from distractions such as a library, study lounge, or an empty classroom.

7. Make sure you have everything that you need before you begin.

8. Make sure your environment is conducive to studying, no TV, no telephone, no roommate, no boyfriend/girlfriend.

9. Make studying an active process; take notes and make review sheets. Intersperse different kinds of study into one session, e.g. reading, writing, taking notes, memorizing, etc.

10. Identify how what you are studying is relevant to your life. Draw connections between things you already know.

11. Insure that you are sleeping enough, eating well, and getting regular exercise. Your mind will be more alert, and you will be less likely to fall asleep or daydream.

non dentist....they are like the 11 golden rules for high quality studying:clap: :clap:

Thank you very very much "nondentist". I printed your 11 golden rules and will try follow each of them. Thanks to all who responded, this was a real great help to me.............:)

Thanks for all the tips ...part1
Toothzone :thumbup:

nondentist said:
1. Jot down things that are on your mind before you study, then set this list to the side. Add to it anything that distracts you as you are studying. Take care of the list later.

2. Study at the same time each day. A regular schedule can help you frame this as ?study time?.

3. Set a timer for an hour, don't allow yourself to stop studying until it goes off.

4. Take breaks. A three minute break for every 30 minutes of study is a good guideline. Take a longer break after 90 minutes.

5. Set goals for your session that are realistic (number of MCQs to solve, pages to read, etc.) When you have met one of your study goals, reward yourself with a short break. Then, return to your study area.

6. Study in an area away from distractions such as a library, study lounge, or an empty classroom.

8. Make sure your environment is conducive to studying, no TV, no telephone, no roommate, no boyfriend/girlfriend.

9. Make studying an active process; take notes and make review sheets. Intersperse different kinds of study into one session, e.g. reading, writing, taking notes, memorizing, etc.

10. Identify how what you are studying is relevant to your life. Draw connections between things you already know.

11. Insure that you are sleeping enough, eating well, and getting regular exercise. Your mind will be more alert, and you will be less likely to fall asleep or daydream.

Nice :) thanks :clap:

dentaldoc said:
Nice :) thanks :clap:

This is the part where you're suposse to give him good karma.

nondentist said:

good rules :thumbup:

meggs said:
This is the part where you're suposse to give him good karma.

Done :thumbup:
it's a pleasure to compliment people with helping tendencies :D

-Decide what to study and how long or how many chapters, pages, contents, etc that day/ each day. When you do MCQ'S always time it ( use a stop watch..this tip was given to me by a friend just before my part 2 and that was the ONE most helpful tip I got, I easily get distracted and so everytime the clock went off it reminded me of how much time I used productively ( rather how much time I wasted :oops: ) and this got me back on my tracks again. And in the end it gave me a good idea on how much time to spend on each question during the exam and I had ample time for review.

-If you get tired or bored, switch task/activity or subject, or environment. Stop studying when you are no longer being productive ( come to SDN :) ).
-Study with a friend. Quiz each other, compare notes and test questions ( it helps some people study better).

-Do difficult tasks first ( mornings). For days when you just want to procrastinate, start off with an easy, interesting topic.

-Allow longer time periods for organizing basic concepts ( eg biochem- first reading). Use shorter time intervals for memorization, review, and self-testing. Use odd moments for recall/review.
Don't waste time by dedicating all morning for review, keep that for the evening or when you are a bit tired .

-Avoid Mental Exhaustion. Take short breaks often when studying.
Dont study for more than 1 hr at a stretch.Take a break and do whatever interests you aka SDN :)

Good Luck !

thanks a lot.......................well i really liked that clock one.....i need that badly......

meetlife said:
thanks a lot.......................well i really liked that clock one.....i need that badly......
:laugh:
Get one, its worth every penny !

Henna said:

-If you get tired or bored, switch task/activity or subject, or environment. Stop studying when you are no longer being productive ( come to SDN :) )
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I am doing exactly! not that b'cos I am bored or tired :D

Thanks henna for ur advice:clap: