Meharry interviews in February

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tekena1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Meharry late February and received an Acceptance range letter exactly 2 weeks later. I was wondering does anyone from last year's application class have experience of how long the wait was before being admitted. Was a letter of intent written? Did it help? I am very interested in Meharry and really want them to know I want to attend but I just don't want to sound desperate. Any suggestions? Also those from this years pool of applicants that interviewed February, any acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Hihi!

I was just wondering, during your time at Meherry, what did you think of the school? Was there anything specific you thought stood out as good or bad? I'm curious what people think, since I've never been there myself.

The good thing about it is I felt welcome and the class size is small. The bad (as some may consider) is that the school is old in the sense that it might need updating technology wise. Other than that the only other thing that came to mind is their pass rate on step 1. Well there scores are not as high as some other schools but again there are those that pass with high percentiles, so I think it comes down to the student as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
:D

Hey I interviewed the first week in February and I got my acceptance letter exactly 2 weeks later. I've been in contact with 3 other people who were in my interviewee group and 2 were accepted and 1 placed in the "acceptance range". I'm not sure how the waiting list moves, but I would imagine that it probably won't move at all until it gets closer to May 15th.....but, WHO KNOWS!!!! I definitely would write them a letter of intent expressing your desire to attend. I don't think it sounds desperate, but rather indicates to them that you were really impressed with their institution. Also, I would definitely send your interviewers 'Thank You Notes'...if you haven't already done so.

I have some more to say, so I'll post another reply.:D

:clap: I was also accepted to 4 other schools, but I'm choosing to attend Meharry because they have such a family atmosphere. They also have an awesome support system and not to mention the new county hospital on their campus.

:scared: Board Exams - I know they have below average board pass rates, but I also know several people at my state school who have paid a lot of $$$$$$ for a prep course (Kaplan/Princeton Review) to ensure that they do well on the board exams. Meharry is so dedicated to it's students that they provide Kaplan for free to their students over the summer, just to prepare them for the boards. According to some students I've talked to at Meharry, alot of the students don't even take advantage of this free service....Are you kidding me?!?!?!:eek:

Quote of the Day: You get out of life, what you put into it!!!!

Takena I interviewed in october and went from the acceptance range to being accepted. I also wrote a letter re-affirming my interest and I would advise you to do the say. I plan to attend Meharry at the end of July in the 4 yr program. Let me know if you have any other questions?

FYI....I'm a first year, so please feel free to PM me with questions/concerns.....

how do you like the school so far divine?

I like it ! ( As much as one can like medical school, in any case ) I have the absolute best classmates EVER , ( helps much ) ...all in all I made the best choice for me. Computer labs are sub-par, but whatever...everyone has to have a laptop, so it's a moot point. PM me if you have other questions.

I went ahead and sent in an LOI and had another letter of recommendation sent in as well as a grade update from last semester. I will send in thank you notes to the interviewers. But I got the impression from the interviewers that they have nothing to do with the admission process except writing a letter of recommendation. For all of you that posted, thank you a lot. It seems like there are not many pre-Meharry or Meharry people on this forum or people are just ashamed. But its great to hear from you guys.

Kingnick32 how long were you on the "acceptance range" before admission letter arrived? Did anyone speak to Mr. Mosley or the Dean?

I was in the acceptance range till the middle of January. I interviewed in October. I think I had to wait because my interview session was the first one for the school. They basically told everyone being interviewed that day that you would either be placed into the acceptance range or rejected until they could interview more candidates. I believe by January they had interviewed enough people to start selecting from the acceptance range. Hope this helps Tekena1, good luck!

Hey for those of you responding to this thread... I was wondering if you guys were African-American and Hispanic?

Just a little curious....

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard meharry was being refered to as an "HBC" Just wondering what that stands for? thanks

Your assumption turns out to be true.......

Oh yeah..I'm a mulattoe ( hah ! ) if you must know....

:confused: Anyone accepted to Meharry receive anything else besides your acceptance letter, fin aid info, and housing info. For example, did anyone receive a fin aid award letter, scholarship info, or registration info? Just curious and trying to stay ahead of the game! :D

I have only recieved acceptance letter and financial aid. Still have not heard anything about housing or scholarships.

Originally posted by divinemsm
Oh yeah..I'm a mulattoe ( hah ! ) if you must know....

Divinemsm,

Did you happen to get a hold of the complete match list for Meharry class of 2004? I noticed someone posted an abbreviated version of it in the allo. forum.

Proph...

Originally posted by Tekena1
I interviewed at Meharry late February and received an Acceptance range letter exactly 2 weeks later. I was wondering does anyone from last year's application class have experience of how long the wait was before being admitted. Was a letter of intent written? Did it help? I am very interested in Meharry and really want them to know I want to attend but I just don't want to sound desperate. Any suggestions? Also those from this years pool of applicants that interviewed February, any acceptances?

I was placed on the acceptance range way back in November. I spoke with Ms Davis and wrote an update later. Couple weeks later, I was in.

proph...

Prophecy, did you send the update letter to Mr. Mosley or to Ms. Davis? What did you/she say when you spoke with Ms. Davis? PM me if necessary.

Prophecy, did you send the update letter to Mr. Mosley or to Ms. Davis? What did you/she say when you spoke with Ms. Davis? PM me if necessary.

Tekena1,

It seems you are not PM active. I think you should contact the sdn administrator to fix that. As for you question, I spoke with Ms. Davis and told her how much I loved the school and it's mission, and I followed that up with a letter of intent to attend the school.

I hope that helps.

Proph...

pm activated

Spoke with Mr. Mosley yesterday. He sounded very nice and reassuring. He said I should hear back between now and July 8. I guess if I get accepted in July 8 I quit my job then:mad: this wait is a pain in the a$$. He said most acceptances from the waitlist starts may 15 which makes sense, oh well. In two weeks I find out if I got accepted into a postbacc program that has a direct link, meaning matriculation after 1 year of classes while maintaining 3.0 gpa. I think Meharry has this as well.

Spoke with Mr. Mosley yesterday. He sounded very nice and reassuring. He said I should hear back between now and July 8. I guess if I get accepted in July 8 I quit my job then:mad: this wait is a pain in the a$$. He said most acceptances from the waitlist starts may 15 which makes sense, oh well. In two weeks I find out if I got accepted into a postbacc program that has a direct link, meaning matriculation after 1 year of classes while maintaining 3.0 gpa. I think Meharry has this as well.

If you don't mind me asking, which post-bacc?

I PMd you a reply.

Question, A friend of mine told me he got a letter which puts him on hold for the post bacc program at Meharry. I was just wondering since he was not interviewed is he in a better position than those placed on the "acceptance range" list. Does anyone know anything about the post-bacc program. Are those that are placed in "acceptance range" pool considered for post-bacc as well. Obviously being placed in the waitlist seems better than being put on hold for postbacc, but again I could be wrong and this is why I post the question. Any insight would be appreciated.

Tekena- Which postbac program are you referring to?

brownskin, you've been pm'd

Geez!!! What's up with all the PM's. Takena you posted a question about the post-bacc program last, then all I see are PM's. Come on people, we're all in the same boat....trying to find out some helpful information. Enough with all the privacy!!! If your message contains private information, just make it a general comment to help the rest of us understand this whole admissions process!!!

Holla,
Curiosity

I here that Curiosity. I contirubte to this thread with my info and at this point I feel left out of the loop. It's good to represent Meharry on the SDN forum, but we are not doing any representing with all these PM's. This is a forum where we discuss things with each other. We can't advance if everyone is trying to keep things on the hush hush. Way to go curiosity, you are defintely staying true to the name!

I too applied to Meharry this year (kind of late -February due to getting together the money). I haven' t heard anything yet. I suppose if they're accepting people from the wait list in May I should hear something very soon.

I've been impressed with their friendliness and would like to think it's a place where I'd feel at home (more URM's and economically challenged people like myself).

P.S. I am caucasian.

my bad about the pm's. I just thought some would not think it fair for some schools to offer postbacc's with direct links. Obviously too many people do not know about them and the schools do not broadcast them. Well what I was pm'n the rest was that there are some schools that offer postbacc with direct linkage after you interview and not offered immediate admission. Direct link means 1 year of classes with 3.0gpa, entry into next medical school class without interview, etc.

Nobody has answered my earlier question about my friend being placed on hold for postbacc at Meharry but hasn't had an interview there. Yeh, I think pre-Meharry and Meharry is represent'n well on this forum.

:cool:
I applied to Ohio State University and like others, I called the admissions office to find out the status of my application (this was in January). They informed me that my application was not being considered any longer for the 2004 incoming class, but it was still under review for their post-bacc program. They later explained that applicants being considered for this program wouldn't be interviewed until March/April. I then proceeded to withdraw my application.+pity+ Now, their post-bacc program was similar to the one you described Takena (i.e 1-year in length & you had to maintain a 3.0 gpa), BUT it differed in the fact that you weren't guaranteed admission the following year. After their post-bacc, you had to re-take the MCAT, re-submit your application, and play the waiting game all over again without any guarantees. I guess this is similar to Takena's friend being put on "HOLD" for Meharry's post-bacc program.:confused: I just don't get med-schools. I applied (with the same stats) to 8 schools. I got accepted to 4, rejected by 2, withdrew my application at 1, and considered for post-bacc at 1. Is this a "random numbers game" or an "admissions process"? :laugh:

Originally posted by Curiosity32
Geez!!! What's up with all the PM's. Takena you posted a question about the post-bacc program last, then all I see are PM's. Come on people, we're all in the same boat....trying to find out some helpful information. Enough with all the privacy!!! If your message contains private information, just make it a general comment to help the rest of us understand this whole admissions process!!!

Holla,
Curiosity

Curiosity,

You are right on the money! Forget this whole pm stuff except when it is certainly necessary to do so.

Hey, why don't we start one of these "Meharry class of 2008" thread. I have noticed a lot of those kinda threads on SDN. Where is the representing at????

all love,

proph...

My question is somewhat directed towards current medical students at Meharry. Perhaps Divinisemsm can help me out with this .

I was recently checking out the MS1 class schedule and was a little dissappoint about the 8-4ish daily schedule. That sounds like a lot of class work compared to schools like UCLA, where they only have about 2 hours of lecture everyday. So Divinemsm or anyone else for that matter, how do you guys cope with that? And when do you guys get time for outside-of-class activities?

Also during my interview at Meharry I noticed and heard a lot about the cooperative envrionment and what-not but I also learned that Meharry still utilizes the letter grading system. It's my understanding, based on conversations with folks, that letter grading systems do not go hand in hand with cooperative atmosphere. what's your take on this ?

Lastly, would you mind sharing what activities are available in Nashville? Night life? beaches? There is probably a big different between Nashville and Los Angeles.

Curiousity, Will you be taking your car to Nashville? It looks like I am going to drive from LA.

Proph... (I'm 'bout go COUNTRY)

Just an update- I called Meharry today and they said my application is still under review.

Would also love to hear about Nashville and daily life at Meharry.
:)

Emidesu-since you applied in February have they call you for an interview? I know downtown Nashville could be interesting. The Titans stadium is located downtown. I was told there are some clubs downtown and they are not all country. I was also told that it is bigger than St. Louis (don't know how accurate this is though).

so like, nothing against minorities or anything, but... is everyone who goes to meharry a minority?? just wondered how the traditionally black medical schools work....

'sup people !
I'll attempt to address the myriad of issues raised on this thread:
1. The post -bacc program is offered only to those who have applied to the medical school: i.e. there is no outside method of applying. Usually 25 ( approx ) people matriculate in the program, and take classes : the ultimate focus is on re-taking the MCAT the following spring ( Kaplan is the course offered to students)

2. The schedule can be QUITE draining....I'll give you that. Yet this is much more apparent in the first semester while taking Gross Anatomy, when the time required to get that cadaver dissected on time is just UNREAL. You learn quickly not to be squeamish, as the pressure of time constraints take over. HOWEVER.....second semester has been much more pleasant....we start around 9 or 10, and finish no later than 3 ( and that's if you choose to attend the clinical correlation lectures....usually in the afternoon )

3. Apparently, the medical school curriculum is being re-vamped...incoming freshmen will in high likelihood, reap the benefits ( wish i did )

4. Nashville is not awful, but it's no cosmopolitan city by any stretch. You'll get used to it....I've managed to, and I'm probably the most die -hard , New York City Girl you'll ever meet ....besides, there are worse places you could end up
( think Omaha, Nebraska....no disrespect, of course )

5. Most races ethnicities are represented at Meharry ( based on personal interactions/observations....I haven't , of course, taken an inventory ) I would estimate that my class is approx 65-70%
" Black "/" African American" or whatever you choose to classify it as.

6. Yes we receive letter grades : A,B,C, F . No direct correlation to increasing competitiveness, as the grade you achieve is the grade you receive. There is no curve/mean system. ( Incidentally, this is an internal system...I believe your transcript as seen by residency programs will read " Pass /Fail ". Often times, the grades are a means of allocating scholarship money to students who've performed well academically.
Hope this helped a bit.

thanks for the replies divinemsm, they were very helpful. One other question is are those placed on the "acceptance range" considered for postbacc as well. Again my friend did not get an interview at Meharry but was sent a "on hold" letter and being considered for postbacc. I'm just curious cause we are in the same situation but in reverse, I am being considered for postbacc at the school where he is #2 on the waitlist but I interviewed at that school. In his case he didn't interview at Meharry but is being considered for postbacc and I am on the waitlist at Meharry post-interview.

Tekena,
I believe that those applicants placed in the " acceptance range " are also being considered for the post-bacc program: the actual numbers are unknown to me, though. In any event, this is not to say to lose hope about being accepted into the medical school class from the waitlist....a few of my classmates were pulled from the list as late as the day before orientation began. Let me know if I can be of any help.

I wonder if the acceptance range is a waitlist? Has anyone been accepted without recieving the acceptance range letter? I should have asked this question during my interview. I wonder if I call Mr. Mosley will it make a difference. Whats cracking group holla at ya boy.