Wash U Merit Scholar Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay16942

the milk's gone bad...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there know when they are going to let us know if we made "finalist" or not? I hope it's soon because if I don't make it, I still want to attend one of the second look weekends, so I need to book a flight ASAP.

Anybody write something particularly interesting for the essay? I thought mine turned out kinda bland. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm with ya. I really hope they let us know soon. The only way I'll go to WashU is if I get the scholarship...otherwise, I'd definitely rather go to Pitt or Penn because of location.

My essay was pretty boring as well, but I couldn't think of any ways to make it more interesting. I hate those "why do you want to go here" essays.

Hey, the lady I talked to last week said they'd be notifying the finalists by phone this friday or monday...i think they're deciding on thurs. or something.

yeah, my essay was pretty lame i think-oh well.

best of luck

-d

Members don't see this ad :)
As soon as someone gets called, tell us so that we can know if we need to make other plans.

Olin scholarship interviews have already taken place. I believe, although don't quote me, that URM scholarships are given out without any applications or interviews, they are just decided upon by the admissions committee. I think that the scholarships that these interviews are for are the 10-15 or so Distinguished Student, Distinguished Alumni, Barnes-Jewish, and Named Scholarships.

Is anyone set on going to Wash U, scholarship or not? For me, it's between Wash U and USC (where I have a scholarship offer). Even if I don't get the scholarship, I am definitely still going to consider Wash U cause it's such a great school.

i'd love to go to Wash U......i'm currently on their waiting list, and am trying to finish off some letters of interest to send to the adcom

Dwahl or usmaple,

If I may ask, whom did you call to find out your info? The only reason I want to know is that I have a major scheduling conflict, and if I don't receive a phone call on Fri or Mon, I want to call them to confirm that I'm NOT a finalist. (Too stressed to wait for a letter.)

THANKS!

i didn't call anyone specifically. Just the admissions office number posted on their website.

I asked them about the scholarship timeline and they transferred me to someone who knew all about it.

yeah, so just use the generic number.

bump!

I haven't heard anything.

I will go pleasently insane if I become a finalist. You hear me?

Members don't see this ad :)
no word today. :(

if i were to send in the wash u housing form, do you think it would lower my chances of getting a scholarship since they know that i am planning on attending and have no need to "buy" me from other schools?

I don't think so, because you can withdraw the housing thing before a specific date, and still get you deposit I believe. But at the same time, I know I'm great for having irrational fears, so if I were you, I probably wouldn't

Wow, congrats Cooper!

They may still be calling people (I hope), because it would be hard to believe that none of us other SDN posters has become a finalist. Right?

I just got the letter today- I'm not a finalist :( :( :( :( :( :( Anyone else hear back?

Originally posted by jay16942
I just got the letter today- I'm not a finalist :( :( :( :( :( :( Anyone else hear back?

I got the letter too. Oh well. :(

I called the offices and they said that they will be done notifying people via phone today, Tuesday.

bump.

Hey everybody. Welcome to my first post ever.

I've been waiting for news from WashU about the scholarship, but as of today, I've received neither a phone call or a letter. Is anyone else in the same spot?

Thanks

Originally posted by Lefty McFish
bump.

Hey everybody. Welcome to my first post ever.

I've been waiting for news from WashU about the scholarship, but as of today, I've received neither a phone call or a letter. Is anyone else in the same spot?

Thanks

Same here! I think it's really strange that we haven't heard anything yet, since supposedly the decisions regarding finalists have been made. I sent an email to Dean Walters to follow up on my application today...I'll let you know what I hear.

EDIT: Just got a reply from Dr. Walters. He said I was on the list of finalists, but the interview slots filled up before they got to my name. They select more people than they can possibly interview, expecting a bunch of people to decline. Apparently not very many finalists declined their interviews this year. I (and anyone else in this position) should get a letter within a few days.

So, PianoGirl, are you going to withdraw from Wash U now (as you had indicated before)?

Anyone who didn't get the scholarship still planning on attending one of the 2nd look weekends?