Is NYU offensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am offended by...

• The $4000 tuition hike in the last year

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Their pushy/sneaky e-mail

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Both of the above

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters

LetMeFixYou

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide in the next few weeks if I want to apply early and commit myself to NYU. (I'm an NYU undergrad so we have a special inside application system.)

However, after what I'm reading/seeing, I'm not sure if I want to lock myself in. So I could really use some help.

Members don't see this ad.

surely you dont make a decision based on those two things up there.

most schools at times implement a significant tuition hike and nyu is a good enough to school to just eat the extra 4k and still attend.

sneaky-pushy emails...haha. getting into a med school is hard enough. if you can assure yourself of a spot at nyu...id say you did pretty well for yourself.

since you are an nyu undergrad go to the med school and ask around and see for yourself. how the environment of the med school is...

One of my best friends applied through the special early decision process within NYU. She was set on staying in New York and she felt that it might increase her chances of getting in.

But, don't apply if you're not absolutely sure you want to go there. She was actually a little disappointed because when she interviewed, she got no tour of the school or hospital, didn't really get to talk to any students, and after she got in, she actually knew less about the school than a lot of people who interviewed during the normal process. I guess the school figured that since she was an early decision app, they really didn't have to spend any time convincing her to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so tough!

I am just afraid they'll keep tacking on $4,000 every year and before I know the tuition hike in the end ($16,000 total) will be almost equal to the tuition at a SUNY.

This is so tough. When I asked to get in contact with students because I'm interested in applying I just got a copy of the prospectus and no student ever contacted me.

Originally posted by LetMeFixYou
This is so tough!

I am just afraid they'll keep tacking on $4,000 every year and before I know the tuition hike in the end ($16,000 total) will be almost equal to the tuition at a SUNY.

This is so tough. When I asked to get in contact with students because I'm interested in applying I just got a copy of the prospectus and no student ever contacted me.

To contact students send an email to a few of them about your questions. Their email is in the packet that we got at the interview. But who cares if they are offensive to other people? Were they offensive to you is the question you should ask? Are they offensive to the students who attend, not some interviewers?!?

And people who interviewed on the WEEKEND DO NOT GET A TOUR!!! It says that when you are registering for a tour. Why would you expect a medical student to come in at 8:00am on a Saturday to talk to some interviewees? I had a wonderful experience at my interview. Maybe during early decisions they do not offer a tour. Nice long tour for me though. good lunch too.

If you want to know about the school contact a couple of students by email on that list. Not all of them will reply... a bunch will though. I picked people from different years and locations... some who may had to make the same decisions I made because of their undergrad institution. They answered within 3 days and some even gave me their phone # to contact. Just email a few of them.

I too am worried about the tution and with a good state option in hand it will be a tough decision. But, that is a decision that many applicants have to make. I may just pick my state school if the difference comes out to be like 100 grand or something. NYC may not be worth that.

I would LOVE to attend NYU. New York City is AWESOME and I'm lucky enough to be spending a week in NYC this summer with a friend. Secondly, NYU Medical School has to be awesome because that is Frank Netter's alma mater (the author of the famous series of anatomy books...Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy).

Super Rob's Atlas of Human Anatomy...

hmn...