Science GPA vs. Overall GPA - which is more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is more important to medical schools, science GPA or overall GPA?

It seems like people mostly discuss their Overall GPA, but I'm wondering how much weight it carries vs. Science GPA.

One reason I'm wondering:
In one thread there was a ~2001 Stanford Med document detailing the ten criteria that they used in their computer sorting model (with different weights assigned to each):

1. MCAT BS
2. MCAT VR
3. MCAT PS
4. Science GPA
5. Quality of School
6. Age
7. Sex
8. Disadvantaged Consideration
9. URM Consideration
10. Graduate School

The top 1/3 got supplimental app.
The bottom 1/3 got rejected.
The middle 1/3 had a staff assessment.

I definitely noticed that they used SCIENCE GPA not overall GPA in this model.

How do different schools weigh the various parts of the GPA breakdown?

Members don't see this ad.

It makes sense that they use Science GPA since Med School is like a pre-med curriculum times two. What does a good gpa in a non-science major really tell you??? Maybe it shows you're intelligent, motivated, adept at learning, but it doesn't "prove" the science foundation necessary to study non-clinical medicine. Plus, your pre-med courses are graded against other pre-meds who, coincidentally, will be your colleagues in med school on the same curve.

The science GPA is definately much more important than the overall GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
my sci gpa was low
my nonsci was high
my overall was much lower than the averages at almost every non-carrib allo med school.

most of my interviewers commented on both my sci and non sci. i think they were impressed with the varied fields i was interested in during college...

but i think the level of importance of the bcpm depends on each school. if you have an overall strong app....and an upward trend if your sci gpa is low...then i think they will give you the benefit of the doubt more times than not.

why would age and sex matter in the process. obviously they would prob want about 50-50 for males/females, but do they discriminate if you're too young (like 20/) or too old?

Originally posted by canada
why would age and sex matter in the process. obviously they would prob want about 50-50 for males/females, but do they discriminate if you're too young (like 20/) or too old?
While trying not to stray too much from the Science vs. Overall GPA nature of the thread....

That age part caught my eye too. (Especially since I'm older (30))
My guess is that there is a slightly older age range that is beneficial (more life experience, perspective, maturity, etc assumed) than straight out of college. I'm also guessing that there is a ceiling to this where age is more of a negative.

Wouldn't it be nice to know what weight they gave to each point and what the breakdown within each section was!!! :confused:

Originally posted by canada
Or maybe fitting into the criteria for #6-9 just give you a few "bonus points" in their MCAT / GPA formula.

The age and sex thing are somewhat curious to me too. Either they have predetermined criteria that they are trying to fit their class to or else they may be making adjustments to alter the incoming class from the previous. Anyhow, it seems to me that a highly teenager that had graduated early would receive bonus points for ambition while an older applicant that is perhaps more deliberate in their persuits should also get some bonus points. It's so hard to know what's going on in their heads.

Attached is the actual Stanford document, in case you're interested...

Attachments

• stanford admissions process.pdf
    40.3 KB · Views: 593
Does anyone have any information on other school's formulas?