ever wish you were in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Locaboca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you wish you went dental instead? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes - better hours, lower liability, decent salary. Sounds pretty good to me. Still, I need to be dealing with systems, not just teeth and gums, which is why medicine wins out every time I think about it.

Locaboca said:
Do any of you wish you went dental instead? Just curious.

Despite all the things I've seen and done during various medical and surgical rotations, the idea of working in someone's mouth still just seems kind of gross.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever seen the types of sores and nasty stuff that goes on in someone's mouth??? EWW. For some reason, I can handle a chancre on a penis, but looking at that other stuff just grosses me out.

KyGrlDr2B said:
Have you ever seen the types of sores and nasty stuff that goes on in someone's mouth??? EWW. For some reason, I can handle a chancre on a penis, but looking at that other stuff just grosses me out.

Which is why we are grateful that we have dental assistants and hygienists to clean the patient up before we get there. :D

rxfudd said:
Sometimes - better hours, lower liability, decent salary. Sounds pretty good to me. Still, I need to be dealing with systems, not just teeth and gums, which is why medicine wins out every time I think about it.

So, you're going to specialize in systems? :)

Not trolling, just trying to make it clear that dentistry DOES deal with systems, but of course not nearly to the extent that medicine does.

Still, I have to know what oral consequences there are of my patients being on anticonvulstants (such as Phenytoin, Dilantin, etc.), immunosuppressants (such as Cyclosporine), or calcium channel blockers.

Of course, the pertinent knowledge of the field runs the from bleeding/clotting disorders, immunologic diseases, infectious diseases, diabetes, endocrine disorders, neuromuscular diseases, gastro diseases, respiratory diseases, renal diseases, etc., etc.

Like I said, not nearly the extent that you guys run into it (we would *rarely* diagnosis any of the above), but we still deal with it (moreso from the basis of knowing the eitiology of a disease, and the medications that are commonly prescribed for it).

OK, can you people stop giving me negative karma? I said PEOPLE had nasty stuff in their mouths, not that DENTISTS suck. If I wasn't doing the quick reply feature, I'd insert "rolls eyes" here.

;)

Of course you guys will deal with it, but I want to see it every day and in every case rather that just in passing. I'd rather deal with HTN, infx dz, gastro, neuro, etc on a daily basis and as the primary problem I'm treating than as something that I only have to be aware of. Realistically, people don't become dentists to see hypertension and gastric ulcers. But I still see what you're saying to a certain extent.

ItsGavinC said:
So, you're going to specialize in systems? :)

Not trolling, just trying to make it clear that dentistry DOES deal with systems, but of course not nearly to the extent that medicine does.

Still, I have to know what oral consequences there are of my patients being on anticonvulstants (such as Phenytoin, Dilantin, etc.), immunosuppressants (such as Cyclosporine), or calcium channel blockers.

Of course, the pertinent knowledge of the field runs the from bleeding/clotting disorders, immunologic diseases, infectious diseases, diabetes, endocrine disorders, neuromuscular diseases, gastro diseases, respiratory diseases, renal diseases, etc., etc.

Like I said, not nearly the extent that you guys run into it (we would *rarely* diagnosis any of the above), but we still deal with it (moreso from the basis of knowing the eitiology of a disease, and the medications that are commonly prescribed for it).

Just to be fair to KyGrl and Rxfudd, I haven't given either of you negative karma.

I agree with the points you each made.

Nothing pisses me off more than people slamming comments simply because they don't agree with them.

I happen to agree with each of you.

Absolutely not.

The way I see it, is there is a job for everyone. I don't like cutting grass so thank goodness there are people who get paid to do it. I don't want to be a dentist, but thank goodness there are people who do it. And I'm suspicious of a thread started by a newbie that MIGHT start a flame war. If it happens, I'll close it. CHEERS! :D