Any caucasian male premeds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want a forum for us male caucasian premeds to discuss the hardships and unique experiences of being a caucasian male premed.

Members don't see this ad.

I struggle with my inability to provide diversity to my classmates. Indeed I can not make classroom discussions "livelier, more spirited, and simply more enlightening and interesting" nor can I "promote cross-racial understanding" no matter how hard I try. I just have to accept that I am an inferior at diversity.

Hey, what do ya know, another white male premed. I thought I was all alone in this process. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will post here later, I am busy oppressing minorities.

--The Man

Gramsci said:

--The Man

:laugh: OMG, you are my new favorite SDNer!! That was Hil-freakin-arious!

Gramsci said:

--The Man

yes it was

Spitting Camel said:
:laugh: OMG, you are my new favorite SDNer!! That was Hil-freakin-arious!

Hey Spitting Camel,
aren't you arab? You know the more we bomb your peeps in the middle east, the more you become a minority. How's that for oppression. :laugh:

igbophysician said:
Hey Spitting Camel,
aren't you arab? You know the more we bomb your peeps in the middle east, the more you become a minority. How's that for oppression. :laugh:

:laugh: Hey, as long as it gets us into med school... Maybe the U.S. will start to feel bad and let us have reservations and give us URM status as a result. We can open up duty-free hooka bars and have Prince ali slots. Everyone working there will be dressed up as Jasmine and Aladdin... :laugh:

No, but seriously. Not every Arab is against the war. Some people support it, they just get called things like traitor for having an educated opinion. Even some Mid East countries are happy, but they can't say it fearing retaliation.

We're all Arabs, but there's a distinct divide between the Christians and the Muslims... but that's for another, more serious thread.

Please get back to the opression... I have a couple of relatives who will be applying soon...

Ryo-ohki you are an idiot. Any school you go to will have its prestige dragged down.

Um...yeah...I tried this whole minority thing out and its no fun.

If we are supposed to be the wealthiest, most highly educated, most powerful, social class, then why the heck can I/we not grab a medical school spot?

Hmm...
No time to think about it now.
I have to devise tax loopholes and polish my guns.

Im white and male, and boy is it grand......Im thinking about making my babies mama be a sista so maybe he can be diverse and get into medical school.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Please. I prefer to be called European American. Thank you.

so, could this also be called a White Power thread?

Ryo-Ohki said:
I struggle with my inability to provide diversity to my classmates. Indeed I can not make classroom discussions "livelier, more spirited, and simply more enlightening and interesting" nor can I "promote cross-racial understanding" no matter how hard I try. I just have to accept that I am an inferior at diversity.

Shocking to find you here;)

Sure, it's not fair for the preference of URM over other applicants but it's also not fair to live in a society where you have been suppressed all your life. Who says life is fair? If you had the chance to be reborn as a minority and go through all the struggles and pain in order to be given preference by some medical schools would you do it?
I'm sure that there are many caucasians who have struggled in life, but when comparing this number to the number of blacks/latinos the difference is outrageous.

AA exploratory committee member #1: I think it's unfair that blacks are discriminated against in society. I think we should make things fairer to blacks and institute Affirmative Action.
AA exploratory committee member #2: Why bother? Life is unfair. Get over it.

So, are you saying you want to be reborn as a white person? As you know, being white gives you a life with absolutely no pain and struggles. What do you say?

wander said:
Sure, it's not fair for the preference of URM over other applicants but it's also not fair to live in a society where you have been suppressed all your life. Who says life is fair? If you had the chance to be reborn as a minority and go through all the struggles and pain in order to be given preference by some medical schools would you do it?
I'm sure that there are many caucasians who have struggled in life, but when comparing this number to the number of blacks/latinos the difference is outrageous.

Please prove to me that it is the blacks who have struggled who are getting the URM break. My guess is you will find a lot more well off black kids than poor ones getting into med shool. It is easy to claim that the American inequality is race based but it is a cop out and, I feel, a false conclusion. The real indicator of success in this country isnt skin color, the real prejudice isnt based on what genes you have, the real prejudice and inequality is faced by those who are poor.

yes! an excellent thread!

so, my story is kinda funny. i was recently talking with a fairly diverse groups of pre-meds at my school, and i came to realize something: i apparently suck. my life in a sentence: i am white, male, and middle class....meaning i'm about as non-special/diverse/whatever as you can get. but wait, it gets worse!

you see, i am actually a first generation american. my father is an immigrant.......from ENGLAND!!!! so, not only am i white, but i'm "whiter" than 99% of other white people!!! son of a b*tch!! :smuggrin:

oh well, i have to get back to writing my personal statement about how i grew up in a dime-a-dozen neighborhood (in the midwest, no less), went through an average school system, had filthy, blue-collar jobs ever since i could work legally, and how no one gives a ****.

thank you.

superdevil said:
yes! an excellent thread!

so, my story is kinda funny. i was recently talking with a fairly diverse groups of pre-meds at my school, and i came to realize something: i apparently suck. my life in a sentence: i am white, male, and middle class....meaning i'm about as non-special/diverse/whatever as you can get. but wait, it gets worse!

you see, i am actually a first generation american. my father is an immigrant.......from ENGLAND!!!! so, not only am i white, but i'm "whiter" than 99% of other white people!!! son of a b*tch!! :smuggrin:

oh well, i have to get back to writing my personal statement about how i grew up in a dime-a-dozen neighborhood (in the midwest, no less), went through an average school system, had filthy, blue-collar jobs ever since i could work legally, and how no one gives a ****.

thank you.

hahahahhaha, K+ for you!

awesome thread JKD.

I too am a average white male. I grew up in so-cal. so basically, not only did i get the normal "white guys are an oppresive as-hole majority" but I also WAS the minority in school...not just high school, but K-12! I was constantly picked on for my race, at first I was really hurt by it. It made me realize, racial slurs are not a tool of the white man, but a tool of the racists. In classes whenever the topics of slavery, Nazi's, or the KKK came up, people would just glare at me. I wanted to scream, IT WASN'T ME!! I WASN"T THERE!!

Also, how else has this problem?? I grew up middle class, im the only one in my family to go to college, all three of my sisters (im the only boy) had kids in high school and are on welfare. My dad was forced to retire after an injury...They help me as much as they can, but it isn't enough. My pre-med advisor told me not to apply for disadvantaged status because I am a middle class white male, and the people that read the apps would get upset if I applied for it.

I know Im going to get killed for saying this.. But AA shouldn't be based on race, but economic status. Maybe for the most part it is, and the people that are less fortunate than me, deserve a bigger break. But to allow a minority, who has been more fortunate than me, the same break is wrong...

ps.. Not everyone would pick on me.. The vast majority of my friends (including girlfriend) are not white..I actually feel uncomfortable with rich white people--weird huh??

I'm so happy to see this thread.

I am a white male and feeling so alone! Often there are only three or four white men in a class of 200 over here (premed classes). I do not have a single white friend, and the only white people I see are total fools in communications and business majors that throw stuff at each other while perpetually watching "the game" everyday.

Like another poster said, people constantly bring attention to my race when we're discussing Nazis and stuff...

And I often feel like white people are among the few people who take up the slack in our diverse educational environments... Everyone else hangs out with their own people, eats their own ethnic foods, listens to their own music, watches their own movies... and then white guys like me eat more chana masala than cheeseburgers!! I drink more Boba than Coca-Cola. I've seen at least four of Sha Rhuk Khan's movies (forgive the spelling.)

And yet people still treat me like an animal for being white!

Medicine just isn't a profession for white men anymore... :(

The crazy process of medical school admissions aside, I would like to say something about affirmative action in general.

Affirmative action is a racist, unconstitutional (I don't care what the worthless supreme court says anymore), oppressive, and downright evil thing that restricts the entire hire-someone-based-on-their-credentials process. How can people even try to say that this is fair!? Affirmative action was created as a means to get minorities a fair shot at jobs back in the 60's, when there really was a whites-run society that unfairly discriminated against them. Thats fine. Now, however, it's just a half-assed attempt to unfairly put less qualified minorities in a place where they take the jobs of those more highly qualified. It's blatant racism, against white people, and it's unbelievably legal. Furthermore, if I were a minority, I would be ashamed to call this a fair situtation. I would take it as an offense to my race that minorities are somehow generally less qualified, and they need a boost to give them an advantage.

The point is, we don't live in a society anymore where minorities are looked down upon -- which is wonderful. Why continue to make it legal to discriminate people on the color of their skin, just because it's the other way around?

If you want to give some help to someone coming from an economically difficult background, that's a different story -- and an understandable one.

I'm just sick of being treated like I'm part of the Aryan nation just because I'm white.

bigbassinbob said:
I'm just sick of being treated like I'm part of the Aryan nation just because I'm white.

lol @ this. Tissue?

bigbassinbob said:
yes please

I'll hand you some diapers and a pacifier while I'm at it.

give me a break, affirmative action is more of an immature cry for attention than my comment was

bigbassinbob said:
give me a break, affirmative action is more of an immature cry for attention than my comment was

I wasn't knocking your opinion of AA at all. I see major flaws with it as well so I definitely can understand your opinion on the matter. But you going on about how everyone treating you like you were in the Aryan nation was unnecessary and over the top, thus my response.

point taken. it was way over the top.

I was a male caucasina but I didn't feel it was right so I had a sex change to feel more PC. It was to great a burden to bare.

I feel that if I could loose 12 years Michael Jackson my be interested in me.

reaton said:
I was a male caucasina but I didn't feel it was right so I had a sex change to feel more PC. It was to great a burden to bare.

I feel that if I could loose 12 years Michael Jackson my be interested in me.

lol......... :laugh:

WTF are you guys smoking?.....

hey dude, I am from India. I live in KY, most of my friends are white and they have a blast with me, although they haven't watched an Indian movie with me. they know a lot about India because of me but in the end all of us have tons of fun. Chill out dude ;)

eklope2000 said:
I'm so happy to see this thread.

I am a white male and feeling so alone! Often there are only three or four white men in a class of 200 over here (premed classes). I do not have a single white friend, and the only white people I see are total fools in communications and business majors that throw stuff at each other while perpetually watching "the game" everyday.

Like another poster said, people constantly bring attention to my race when we're discussing Nazis and stuff...

And I often feel like white people are among the few people who take up the slack in our diverse educational environments... Everyone else hangs out with their own people, eats their own ethnic foods, listens to their own music, watches their own movies... and then white guys like me eat more chana masala than cheeseburgers!! I drink more Boba than Coca-Cola. I've seen at least four of Sha Rhuk Khan's movies (forgive the spelling.)

And yet people still treat me like an animal for being white!

Medicine just isn't a profession for white men anymore... :(

hey y'all i'm 12.5% white (great-grand father was spanish). do you think the admissions committee will hold this against me?

whocares2.jpg

bigbassinbob said:
The point is, we don't live in a society anymore where minorities are looked down upon -- which is wonderful. Why continue to make it legal to discriminate people on the color of their skin, just because it's the other way around?
Awesome thread bigbassinbob on this controversial issue. I am not a caucasion but I had a question about one of your original post. What justification do you have for your point that "minorities are not looked down upon" any longer. Yes, we are no longer in the 60s but why do you think that all of society has abandoned this practice, hence the need to get rid of this "racist, unconstitutional (I don't care what the worthless supreme court says anymore), oppressive, and downright evil thing that restricts the entire hire-someone-based-on-their-credentials process" ?...

Yes, there is discrimination against blacks in society. That is exactly why we need to go back to original purpose and meaning of Affirmative Action. Take Affirmative Action to stop discrimination based on race.

Executive Order 10925

WHEREAS it is the plain and positive obligation of the United States Government to promote and ensure equal opportunity for all qualified persons, without regard to race, creed, color, or national origin, employed or seeking employment with the Federal Government and on government contracts;

Right now, we are violating our principles of non-discrimination. As evidenced by the amercius briefs in the recent Grutter case, the rich and powerful have an interest in keeping Affirmative Action as preferences by race. Of course, this allows the burden to be placed on the middle class. I personally would like to see the rich and powerful shoulder some of the burdens of their ideology.

TIMMY said:
Awesome thread bigbassinbob on this controversial issue. I am not a caucasion but I had a question about one of your original post. What justification do you have for your point that "minorities are not looked down upon" any longer. Yes, we are no longer in the 60s but why do you think that all of society has abandoned this practice, hence the need to get rid of this "racist, unconstitutional (I don't care what the worthless supreme court says anymore), oppressive, and downright evil thing that restricts the entire hire-someone-based-on-their-credentials process" ?...

I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist. There are all kinds of racist people in the U.S. today, and I don't mean only white racists. There are people who hate blacks, mexicans, asians, indians, arabs, and yes, even whites. There are also racists who are black, mexican, asian, indian, arab, and white.

I am saying that the vast majority of the population in the U.S. today is not out to restrict the jobs of minorities, as they did in the 60's and before. The plain fact is that most companies would love to hire minorities just to increase their "diversity." It's just so happens, however, that real diversity is not a quality that can be described by the color of someone's skin.

Again, I don't doubt that there are some areas in the country where the practice of racism still exists in the hiring process, but overall, this is a place where minorities have an equal opportunity for employment without the need for affirmative action. Not to mention the fact that you can sue the hell out of someone for restricting employment from minorities.

Affirmative action was created to eliminate race-based hirings, and it has turned into something that does exactly the opposite -- something that creates race-based hirings.

I feel still the real answer is better teachers and DOCTORS in areas where these people live!! The reason that they don't do as well on standardized tests is that they don't have the reading and vocab capacity that one would obtain from a private school. This said, I'm white and plan on working in an urban setting because even though I may not like these problems and people taking advatage of them, I love this country and would rather DO something about it than BS on the internet. :mad:

Hopefully people make more ethical decisions and use their social-economic system correctly!!!!