The Official UCLA waitlist thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emeri Onwunwa

I'm finally home
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey my party peoples,
I know that there are a lot of us on this crazy waitlist - unranked or otherwise. I think that this might help us to not only know what to expect in terms of batches of letters being sent out at a certain time, but it will also help the class of 2009. As I looked back at the threads (last years and the year before), I noticed some general trends.

I would like to continue this tradition. From what I've seen, we shouldn't expect movement until early/mid June, then more movement in July. Let's go! :luck:

Waitlisted

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)

Members don't see this ad.

hey emeri!

great idea!!

i feel the pain too, im onthe waitlist too....and it was my undergrad..i hope i get to stay! lets cross our fingers for everyone!

Noosha waitlisted 3/10

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha waitlisted 3/10
jlee9531 waitlisted in feb.
stressedout (2/12/04)

hope we hear some good news soon...

Me too

Waitlisted

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha waitlisted 3/10
stressedout (2/12/04)
usdtdc 4/22 (out of state)

Me too, but I'm accepted into the Drew Program. We'll see how this goes down.

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha waitlisted 3/10
stressedout (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted 4/22

hey Emeri Onwunwa,

what sort of "general trends" did you notice?

adding myself:

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha waitlisted 3/10
stressedout (2/12/04)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted 4/22

stressedout said:
hey Emeri Onwunwa,

what sort of "general trends" did you notice?

Well... for one, I noticed that those who were not waitlisted in April had a better chance of getting off the waitlist. I also noticed that the committee started "re-reviewing" applicants during the first/second week of June, but by early July the class was filled. Several more people withdrew from UCLA, and there was more waitlist movement - seemingly more than in June.

Waitlisted

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
stressedout (2/12/04)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
usdtdc (4/22) (out of state)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Waitlisted

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
stressedout (2/12/04)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)
sadame (feb)

Emeri Onwunwa said:
Well... for one, I noticed that those who were not waitlisted in April had a better chance of getting off the waitlist. I also noticed that the committee started "re-reviewing" applicants during the first/second week of June, but by early July the class was filled. Several more people withdrew from UCLA, and there was more waitlist movement - seemingly more than in June. Also those who sent in an LOI had a better chance of getting off the waitlist.

Hey Emeri...do you think that it was a coincidence that people waitlisted in April would not have much of a chance of getting off of the waitlist? That just sounds weird as to why this would be like that...ADCOMS are so strange.

Anyway...is this all Tier 1 waitlists? I was Tier 1 waitlisted in early March so I'm adding! :)

TIER 1: ????

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha waitlisted 3/10
stressedout (2/12/04)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted 4/22
Luwi25 waitlisted 3/10

Whoops! Let me add Sadame to it:

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha waitlisted 3/10
stressedout (2/12/04)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted 4/22
sadame (feb)
Luwi25 waitlisted 3/10

Waitlisted

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
stressedout (2/12/04) -- yeah, Tier 1
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)
sadame (feb)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, we should distinguish between the priority and hold waitlists.

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Hold

Sadame (feb)

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Priority

Luwi25 (3/10)

Hold

Sadame (feb)

Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Priority (unranked waitlist)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Dabenxiong (4/22) -- originally MSTP

Hold

Sadame (feb)

bleh i think i should have reworded. the first list is priority ranked waitlist and the second list is priority unranked or hold correct?

i'm on priority unranked. sorry, my post seemed to have made a mess of things.

Sadame said:
bleh i think i should have reworded. the first list is priority ranked waitlist and the second list is priority unranked or hold correct?

i'm on priority unranked. sorry, my post seemed to have made a mess of things.

As far as I know, the unranked waitlist is UCLA's 1st tier waitlist, followed by the hold waitlist. I'm not sure if a priority ranked waitlist exits...

Luwi25 said:
Hey Emeri...do you think that it was a coincidence that people waitlisted in April would not have much of a chance of getting off of the waitlist? That just sounds weird as to why this would be like that...ADCOMS are so strange.

I don't know WHY this is the case. Maybe they handed out acceptances a little too liberally, and then realized in April that they only had a few slots left and started being stingy. It's not a perfect science you know.

I'm moving myself to the unranked list.

Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)

Hold

Sadame (feb)

Just moving myself

Noosha (3/10)
jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)

i moved myself too

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)

Hold

Sadame (feb)
Today 03:44 PM

Are there not only 2 waitlists?

1. Unranked "Tier-1"
2. Hold "Tier-2"

I didn't know about a third priority waitlist.

BTW: my unranked waitlist letter made no mention of Tier-1...Am i alone here?

Lakers4in5 said:
Are there not only 2 waitlists?

1. Unranked "Tier-1"
2. Hold "Tier-2"

I didn't know about a third priority waitlist.

BTW: my unranked waitlist letter made no mention of Tier-1...Am i alone here?

If you ask the admission office personnel, they'll tell you that unranked waitlist is Tier 1. Adding myself to unranked list.

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Priority (unranked waitlist):

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

I'm rooting for all of you. I can testify that the revised curriculum at UCLA received mostly positive response. And the straight P/F system certainly beats the H/P/F system at another un-named Southern Californian school. ;)

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)
Buddha (4/22)

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)

Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)
Buddha (4/22)
zeephro (5/6) found out by phone on 5/11

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)
Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)
Buddha (4/22)
Smile'n'Wink MD (4/22)

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

just curious

of those of us that are on the waitlists...who would go here if given the acceptance?

for me if i get off the ucsd waitlist, id rather go there

Hey fellow waitlisters. I just checked last year's UCLA waitlist thread and found out that when you were pulled off the waitlist and offered admission, your status changed on the web database. Also, they started notifying early, like May 20th via UPS mostly. This year, though, I was told they wouldn't start until first week of June. Who knows.....

Jim,
How did you find out they weren't going to start pulling waitlists until early June? Do you know the reason? Thanks.

kalak24 said:
Jim,
How did you find out they weren't going to start pulling waitlists until early June? Do you know the reason? Thanks.

I found this out both from a member of AdCom and the admissions personnel. By the end of May the waitlist should be finalized: most of the people who are supposed to drop multiple acceptances by May 15, but in reality don't do it until the end of May, will finally drop their UCLA acceptances. The list will start to move then. That's how it was explained to me.

yeah im not expecting any type of calls till at least the end of may.
so for me at least may 15 will be anticlimatic.

Jim,
I appreciate the info. I wonder why they pushed the schedule back this year?

cause they interviewed people later than normal this year and like legend said...the people who still hold em after may 15th and dont get punished for it immediately do exist.

If admitted, I would most definitely go!

If any of you get pulled off the waitlist or your status page changes, let us know! Some movement before early/mid June might be nice... :p

Bump.

It'll be hard to keep this thread alive until waitlist movement during early/mid June.

Ah ah ah ah stayin' alive, stayin' alive. Ah ah ah ah stayin' alive, stayin' alive...​

Looks like UCLA still was accepting people through May 15. They accepted somebody on 5/14/04.

Wow! I bet you the person that got accepted 5/14 got off of the waitlist because their class was FULL (in tern=ms of acceptance=120) by March 15th. I guess you never know who's being pulled off of that Tier 1 waitlist...it might be happening as we speak. I went to the admissions office today and they told me that people are rejecting UCLA and spaces ARE opening up.

So...let's keep hope alive my fellow SDNers!!! :D

Luwi25 said:
Wow! I bet you the person that got accepted 5/14 got off of the waitlist because their class was FULL (in tern=ms of acceptance=120) by March 15th. I guess you never know who's being pulled off of that Tier 1 waitlist...it might be happening as we speak. I went to the admissions office today and they told me that people are rejecting UCLA and spaces ARE opening up.

So...let's keep hope alive my fellow SDNers!!! :D

Hey Luwi25,
The person accepted on 5/14 interviewed early April and was never on the waitlist. Since they over-enroll, it might take a little while for their numbers to drop below 120 so they can start filling up the class again. Do you know if the spaces opening up are enough that people will soon be pulled off the waitlist? Thank you for the update!

Emeri Onwunwa said:
Hey Luwi25,
The person accepted on 5/14 interviewed early April and was never on the waitlist. Since they over-enroll, it might take a little while for their numbers to drop below 120 so they can start filling up the class again. Do you know if the spaces opening up are enough that people will soon be pulled off the waitlist? Thank you for the update!

oh I see..I guess I'm just anticipating waitlist movement too soon. :) Well, it's because I know a friend on ADCOMs who said that all 120 acceptances have been determined by Mar 15th so people that interviewed in April were for the waitlist basically.

But my mentor who's a chair on committee told me to expect movement starting early June.

I'll let you know when I get more updates!

Since they over-enroll, it might take a little while for their numbers to drop below 120 so they can start filling up the class again.

That's a good point. And I think since UCLA interviewed through the end of April, most of the April students (and even a few from earlier) still haven't heard back post-interview. So it might be possible that if more people drop now than UCLA anticipates, they might just accept more from the April interview group, rather than going to the Tier 1 waitlist right away.

Oh and you can add me to the unranked waitlist group. (4/22) :)

twizzlers said:
That's a good point. And I think since UCLA interviewed through the end of April, most of the April students (and even a few from earlier) still haven't heard back post-interview. So it might be possible that if more people drop now than UCLA anticipates, they might just accept more from the April interview group, rather than going to the Tier 1 waitlist right away.

Oh and you can add me to the unranked waitlist group. (4/22) :)

Oh NO!!!!! That could possibly be VERY true. But as I understood it..."qualified" people that interviewed in April were VERY RECENTLY ranked with a number that places them on the Tier 1 waitlist and as spaces open up they take and offer a spot to the ones that are at the top of that list. They probably just decided the April candidates rank #s and didn't have a chance to tell them about their waitlist status...they just accepted those with the higher #s on the waitlist who might have been someone that interviewed in April.

Anyway...let's hope we start getting off of the list!

By the way, let's not forget to keep this updated:

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)
Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)
Buddha (4/22)
Smile'n'Wink MD (4/22)
twizzlers (4/22)

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

Hi all! I was the last student interviewed for the Fall class on April 29th. I hope I was not interviewing for the waitlist... I looked on the ucla website and it says a final decision letter was sent out today to me. Yikes! That was the quickest turnaround, 2.5 weeks just for a decision. I hope it is not a rejection!

I just called Admissions Office and they told me I was on the waitlist... Tier 1... so i dont have to wait who knows how many days for the letter...

jlee9531 (feb)
shanddallar (2/12/04)
lolli waitlisted (4/22)
Luwi25 (3/10)
Emeri Onwunwa (4/22)
BjorknRadiohead (3/10)
JimDiGriz (4/22)
stressedout (2/12/04)
Buddha (4/22)
Smile'n'Wink MD (4/22)
twizzlers (4/22)
el_izalco (5/18) found out by phone on 5/18

Hold:

Sadame (feb)

I know some SDNs are not coming to Geffen..... so there will be some movement soon... so hang in there... hope to see you guys in 8/2. Good Luck to you all :luck: :luck:

Legend123 said:
I know some SDNs are not coming to Geffen..... so there will be some movement in the list.... so hang in there... hope to see you guys in 8/2. Good Luck to you all :luck: :luck:

OOOOHHHHH MYYYY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!

I GOT IN.
I GOT IN.
I GOT IN.

Right after I read Legend123's quote, I decided it was time to go through my daily ritual of checking my status page. When I checked it, I jumped out of my seat and covered my mouth all bug-eyed. My heart started beating really, really hard as I tried to remember where I put my waitlist letter with the Office of Admissions phone number on it. I called them like 5 or 6 times, but I kept on getting an answering machine. I think I was so nervous and light headed that I kept on dialing the wrong number. I finally got through and asked about my application status. Deanna told me "Congratulations," and I started screaming and jumping up and down. I told her that I thought I was going to faint, and she kept on telling me to sit down.

I can't believe it. I seriously wasn't expecting any kind of news until the first or second week of June.

I can't believe it.

By the way, the status page says that my letter was sent yesterday, 5/19.
:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Just trying to pass the buck... I mean luck. :)