DO, PhD--Opinons Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theags

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some DO schools offer a DO, PhD program. What are the pros/cons of this? I assume it is similar to an MD, PhD where you spend your career doing mostly research and only a little clinical. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

theags said:
Some DO schools offer a DO, PhD program. What are the pros/cons of this? I assume it is similar to an MD, PhD where you spend your career doing mostly research and only a little clinical. Is that true?

No, they are not like an MSTP. Most of the programs offer a PhD in Public Health, or something similar.

OSU-COM offers a PhD in biomedical sciences...you get to choose the area of emphasis. I only know one DO, PhD student and she's planning on a regular practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im curious if anyone knows the application system for DO/PhD

Im accepted already to UMDNJ-SOM as DO but lately am thinking itd be neat to do DO/PhD. Ill be MS1 in August.

What happens next? Can i still do the combo? Maybe DO first year then DO/PhD next? Or now do i have to do my full DO then a full PhD?
Just curious let me know. I also have an MS already. Maybe some of that can go towards a PhD.

I dont want to give up my spot i have now just to reapply for this.

Andrew

Check with the school, as things vary quite a bit from place-to-place. I doubt that you'd have to reapply. There aren't all that many DO, PhD students and many of the schools are eager to have more. Maybe they can work out something for you.

Most of the programs are set up where you do the first 2 years of the DO program (you may have some extra PhD work to do in the med classes), do the PhD, and then go back and finish the last 2 years of the DO program.

DrMom said:
Check with the school, as things vary quite a bit from place-to-place. I doubt that you'd have to reapply. There aren't all that many DO, PhD students and many of the schools are eager to have more. Maybe they can work out something for you.

Most of the programs are set up where you do the first 2 years of the DO program (you may have some extra PhD work to do in the med classes), do the PhD, and then go back and finish the last 2 years of the DO program.

Is the education funded? I mean both the DO and PhD...or just the PhD years...or what?

I'm not sure. I was asked to do the program, but I didn't want to spend that much more time in school so I never checked into the particulars. I know that at least part of it is funded, though.

Funding is a good question. If the entire thing is funded then its quite attractive.

Ill find out and let you guys know. I put in a call to the DO/PhD office at my school so when they call back ill ask.