Georgetown vs. MSU (to the death)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
exmike said:
Given that they take 2/3 of the med classes in the exact same classroom, i dont see how you can say they dont "know" gtown.

Physios haven't experienced Gtown as real medical students and shouldn't have a right to diss it.

I vote for banning ex-physios from bashing Gtown. :thumbup:

WiscoFan14 said:
Gtown is a great school. I'd go to Gtown in a second over MSU...no way I'd live in East Lansing for 4 years. Go Hoyas

You only live in E. Lansing for two years-then you choose from a few other cities in the state to do clinicals, like Grand Rapids, which is actually a pretty bad@ss town-

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not here to give credence to the heresay that is everywhere in this thread but i have several things i wanted to get off my chest. For those that speak about Georgetown's declining reputation and financial failures, please don't make such statements and then try to use it to say how horrible a place this is without firsthand experiencing it.

I am a Georgetown student. Ask me, don't ask the midwestern kids that have never been here, the californians that have never stepped foot on reservoir road. Yes, the medical school is not the bread and butter of Georgetown, but like so many medical institutions today in America, it aims to educate students, treat patients, and be a forum for research. You'd be hard pressed to find too many hospitals that are thriving in profits and in saying that, who's to say that a less profitable or even a hospital with a loss means an inferior education. Not once during my time here have i felt that any financial situation has caused a deterioration of my education or felt that i lacked something that my friends at harvard, yale, vandy, etc had that i didn't. We have great professors, talented student body, technology, adequate labs and resources galore in the DC area. I would be confident against any student in clinical medicine in the country...we educate clinicians and THAT is a reputation that is well know throughout the country.

To say that our reputation is hurt from our financial status is an ignorant and misleading statement. Just take a look at this year's match list and years past and i guarantee you it can match up with ANY in the country. 20 matches in orthopedics last year and 8 neurosurgery matches this year along with a abundance of derm, plastics, surgery, radiology matches...are you kidding me??!? Declining reputation?! Please look at the facts before you blindly make such strong statements.

SDNer2004 said:
Physios haven't experienced Gtown as real medical students and shouldn't have a right to diss it.

unfortunately half of the bashing comes from actual students. :rolleyes:

in any event, i've said before that GU is a great school, but there are many other great schools out there. Thats the luxury we have because we live in the US. Just because I personally wouldnt choose GU isnt necessarily bashing. For example, the fact that I find facilities important is just personal preference. Someone that doesnt care about facilities might feel otherwise.
I'll agree with surfdevl that some of the teachers were phenomenal, but others also left something to be desired. I'm sure that is how it is at any school. I've never pointed to the financial troubles as a dislike of mine. If facilities and price are major factors, its obvious why GU might not be the best choice. But then again, there are many other positive factors that may outweigh those negative ones. Its just opinion, not bashing.

I say we ban people that cant accept other people's opinions.

SDNer2004 said:

I paid $1000 a month for a crappy basement dwelling in DC.
Parking fines and fees cost me several hundred dollars, plus I got the famous "boot".
The med school facilities largely suck: it's underground, sand bags line the entrances, chairs fall apart, alot of things seem old.
Security around the city will remind you of Big Brother.
The water is full of brain-killing lead.
Every other vehicle in the neighborhood is a BMW or Mercedes, I got pulled over for driving a "dirtbag car."
GTown med is really expensive, and is getting more so all the time.*

*The above statements about Georgetown and/or DC should be disregarded since the poster, living at the location for just ten months, obviously did not experience any bit of what is known as the "real" Gtown or "real" DC; which as everybody knows, is actually revealed during the white coat ceremony, in a temple that looks like a cross between the "Temple of Doom", and the Skull and Bones' New Haven "Dungeon", replete with incendiary komodo dragons, secret hand shakes, and mumbojumbo. Only here does the esoteric, and true knowledge of Georgetown and Washington become apparent to many a pair of erstwhile blinded eyes.

DC can be a real good looking city at times.
Professors at Georgetown generally seem pretty cool, knowledgeable, and helpful.
Classes are usually organized and comprehensive, feels like a legit education.
There are, oh I don't know, a few things to do in DC.
Georgetown has had a tight match list lately.
Smithsonian museums are all free.
Mountains aren't too far away, and $30 gets you a round trip to NYC.*

*The above statements about Georgetown and/or DC should be disregarded since the poster, living at the location for just ten months, obviously did not experience any bit of what is known as the "real" Gtown or "real" DC; which as everybody knows, is actually revealed during the white coat ceremony, in a temple that looks like a cross between the "Temple of Doom", and the Skull and Bones' New Haven "Dungeon", replete with incendiary komodo dragons, secret hand shakes, and mumbojumbo. Only here does the esoteric, and true knowledge of Georgetown and Washington become apparent to many a pair of erstwhile blinded eyes.

All I'm saying is that in the interest of fairness...many Physios simply can't give you good information. Either they went there and struggled and hated it...so they want you to hate it too...or they are on the wait-list, so of COURSE THEY WANT YOU TO HATE GTOWN, BECAUSE THEN YOU WON"T GO THERE, and then they'll get in themselves. I'm not bashing the physios, I know that you guys go through hell. I'm just saying that you should take everything they say with a grain of salt. Many of them are jaded, combative, and downright nasty about their GU experience.

Gtown gets bashed more on SDN than any other school....and it just so happens that it has the largest post-bacc enrichment program in the country for people trying to get in to medical school...hmmm...I wonder. The bottom line is don't make a decision based on something you heard on SDN. I heard something like 20 people transferred out of Gtown's class of 2006 last year...then I heard that those 20 people got kicked out for cheating. Now who knows what happened?

WiscoFan14 said:
All I'm saying is that in the interest of fairness...many Physios simply can't give you good information. Either they went there and struggled and hated it...so they want you to hate it too...or they are on the wait-list, so of COURSE THEY WANT YOU TO HATE GTOWN, BECAUSE THEN YOU WON"T GO THERE, and then they'll get in themselves. I'm not bashing the physios, I know that you guys go through hell. I'm just saying that you should take everything they say with a grain of salt. Many of them are jaded, combative, and downright nasty about their GU experience.

Gtown gets bashed more on SDN than any other school....and it just so happens that it has the largest post-bacc enrichment program in the country for people trying to get in to medical school...hmmm...I wonder. The bottom line is don't make a decision based on something you heard on SDN. I heard something like 20 people transferred out of Gtown's class of 2006 last year...then I heard that those 20 people got kicked out for cheating. Now who knows what happened?

From my understanding of the phsyio admissions process ot the med school, it is not really related to whether or not a non physio withdraws. If this is true, then bashing wouldnt have any effect on a physio getting in. In general 20-15 are admitted no matter what. These spaces seem to be "reserved" ahead of time.

In regards to the 20 2006 students leaving, I was told the number was 17 by a medical student. I was told that there WAS a cheating scandal of sorts in addition to poor performance that led to a total of 17 people being let go.

surfdevl02 said:
I'm not here to give credence to the heresay that is everywhere in this thread but i have several things i wanted to get off my chest. For those that speak about Georgetown's declining reputation and financial failures, please don't make such statements and then try to use it to say how horrible a place this is without firsthand experiencing it.

I am a Georgetown student. Ask me, don't ask the midwestern kids that have never been here, the californians that have never stepped foot on reservoir road. Yes, the medical school is not the bread and butter of Georgetown, but like so many medical institutions today in America, it aims to educate students, treat patients, and be a forum for research. You'd be hard pressed to find too many hospitals that are thriving in profits and in saying that, who's to say that a less profitable or even a hospital with a loss means an inferior education. Not once during my time here have i felt that any financial situation has caused a deterioration of my education or felt that i lacked something that my friends at harvard, yale, vandy, etc had that i didn't. We have great professors, talented student body, technology, adequate labs and resources galore in the DC area. I would be confident against any student in clinical medicine in the country...we educate clinicians and THAT is a reputation that is well know throughout the country.

To say that our reputation is hurt from our financial status is an ignorant and misleading statement. Just take a look at this year's match list and years past and i guarantee you it can match up with ANY in the country. 20 matches in orthopedics last year and 8 neurosurgery matches this year along with a abundance of derm, plastics, surgery, radiology matches...are you kidding me??!? Declining reputation?! Please look at the facts before you blindly make such strong statements.

:thumbup:

Sancho said:
DC can be a real good looking city at times.
Professors at Georgetown generally seem pretty cool, knowledgeable, and helpful.
Classes are usually organized and comprehensive, feels like a legit education.
There are, oh I don't know, a few things to do in DC.
Georgetown has had a tight match list lately.
Smithsonian museums are all free.
Mountains aren't too far away, and $30 gets you a round trip to NYC.*

You like the color orange, don't you. ;) At least you are a fair ex-physio, unlike some others on here. My statement wasn't directed towards you, just to those physios who continually bash Gtown. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

exmike said:
unfortunately half of the bashing comes from actual students. :rolleyes:

I say we ban people that cant accept other people's opinions.

Where are these actual students? :confused:

I can accept other people's opinions, just not yours. :D Seriously, you've been very helpful on SDN and I appreciate that. But it's just been one too many times that I've seen you put down Gtown. It's not fair because you voice your opinions of Gtown very strongly on this messageboard and we rarely hear from real Gtown med students on here. Just trying to be fair. :)

SDNer 2004, there's no need to apologize because I'm holding a golden ticket to that revealing white coat ceremony--most exphysios from '04 have their ticket punched to go somewhere next month; be it golden, brown, or the beautiful random dark orange from the pull down menu, it's still a ticket, and largely precludes giving a damn about knocking down Gtown.
I'd say half the class is literally from California, and these people did not want to go to Gtown from the beginning, middle, or end of the program- if they didn't get in Cali schools they're probably throwing ire that way.
Personally, I think I'm starting a bash Umich thread because that was an option 100 times better than Gtown, and it looks like I'm screwed on that waitlist.

Really I think this whole debate is getting boring-just understand that exphysios obviously have insight into the matter, and many are disinterested like myself and will freely give the bad and the good about resevoir rd. I'm not sure why there is such a rich tradition of bashing Gtown on SDN-to be fair surely there are a few bitter denied souls out there as you say who went on a "year long interview" pining for the resevoir, and failed. BUT, draw your attention as well to the AMSA graduation survey, (I'm not sure of the link,do a search on here-you'll find it)-graduates of Gtown don't seem to have the brightest praise for their alma m. (I don't want to hear about sample size, because its the same case on this board. Except here this is more selection for ranters compared to the AMSA survey.)

cheers,

S

this is the nuttiest thread I have seen!! SDNer2004, do you have stock in gtown or something? if you were in arms reach of these posters, you would probably try to fight them or something. :scared: this is so rediculous! and these are some of the people that are going to be diagnosing in a few years?? OOOOOHHH my goodness :eek: :eek: let it go already! :rolleyes:

sistahnik said:
this is the nuttiest thread I have seen!! SDNer2004, do you have stock in gtown or something? if you were in arms reach of these posters, you would probably try to fight them or something. :scared: this is so rediculous! and these are some of the people that are going to be diagnosing in a few years?? OOOOOHHH my goodness :eek: :eek: let it go already! :rolleyes:

What does this thread have anything to do with being competent physicians. You shouldn't talk :rolleyes:

You're basically choosing sides since you want to apply to MSU next year. You're supposed to give opinions on this topic, not irrationally judge people's abilities. :rolleyes: Talk about being judgemental.