Any Berkeley Premeds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_student

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
none

Members don't see this ad.

Berkeley has a premed program? it must be small, i don't think i've ever heard of it :)

a_student said:
damn remember being in those 600student mcb upperdivision lectures... that **** was ridiculous =)

Oh i didn't go there...but there were at least a handful of Berkeley premed kids at EVERY interview I did. Yeah you guys have some unique challenges...victims of the program's success I guess, The qualified Berkeley premed applicants just flood the market and it becomes impossible to tell them apart. Hope this thread gives you guys a chance to vent and share

Members don't see this ad :)
you have to remember that berkeley is a huge school. i'm sure that hopkins could top that if it was the size of Cal.

Im applying right now but why are the odds stacked against us?? I know there are alot of gunners here but do med schools only compare you against classmates? I guess this explains why people always got pissed when i would ask if a 3.7/32 will get me in, b.c it isnt all that spectacular at cal. Anyway, just askin...

a_student said:
i wanted to start this thread for those who are applying this year from Berkeley. Odds are stacked against you folks so if you have any questions fire away....

Haybrant said:
Im applying right now but why are the odds stacked against us?? I know there are alot of gunners here but do med schools only compare you against classmates? I guess this explains why people always got pissed when i would ask if a 3.7/32 will get me in, b.c it isnt all that spectacular at cal. Anyway, just askin...

The odds are stacked against you because there is a huge pool of Berkeley premeds (and Californian premeds in general) and most med schools try to maintain all sorts of diversity (including geographic diversity...eg Wash U.).

Apply to UCSD for sure...is it just me...or is the acceptance rate for Berkeley grads to UCSD really high? http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/top20.stm#ucsd

12-16% from 1999-2003. That is almost a Texas level acceptance rate...well, at least an in-state Baylor acceptance rate.

the numbers on that site are pretty high; i assume that has something to do with the fact that not everyone that gets in send their stats to the career cntr. I really have trouble thinking that only students with between 3.8-3.9's from cal will get in.

BananaSplit said:
The odds are stacked against you because there is a huge pool of Berkeley premeds (and Californian premeds in general) and most med schools try to maintain all sorts of diversity (including geographic diversity...eg Wash U.).

Apply to UCSD for sure...is it just me...or is the acceptance rate for Berkeley grads to UCSD really high? http://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/top20.stm#ucsd

12-16% from 1999-2003. That is almost a Texas level acceptance rate...well, at least an in-state Baylor acceptance rate.