*Official 2004 NBDE Part I scores*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
School copies of the scores were mailed out today, and candidate copies should be mailed out tomorrow. Please post when you receive your scores.

2003 scores may be found in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79827

Here's a good format to follow to make it easy for future test-takers to follow:

[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

Members don't see this ad.

so u think, if i call the school tommorow, and ask them about my grades, they would know? We don't get back to school till the 7th and I have no way of getting my mails here in floirda, so if the school doesn't tell me, then I m pretty much stuck till the 7th with the suspense. I wonder if ADA will tell me my score after tomm via phone...

Viraj, man you seem to be sitting on needles. Remember man, you and I studied the same amount on this thing, I am sure you passed with flying colors, no need to panic!!! On the phone thing, they have it posted in my thing that the ADA will NOT give scores over the phone for any circumstance, so I wouldn't waste my time if I were you. Go out and enjoy life while you still have a break! I have to go back monday, so not really looking forward to it! I have a crown to cut right off the bat and I know I am going to be rusty!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
gavin, r u gonna get ur scores from ur dean, or u r gonna wait for the mail to get to ur home...

Scores are in:

[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences: 88
Biochemistry/Physiology: 88
Microbiology/Pathology: 90
Dental Anatomy: 93

Overall Average: 90

Cumulative Study Hours: ? (Studied 2 weeks b/4 all day everyday)
Recommended Studying Materials: Decks, old exams
Most Difficult Section: anatomy
Study DOs: go over old exams, get dental decks, relax.
Study DON'Ts: don't study 4 months in advance.

congratulations juice,
when did u get ur scores, were they mailed to u, or u guys got it from school? Also if they were mailed to u, could u tell me what kinda envolope were they in, as i m gonna tell one of my freinds to check for my mails....

They're available for UNC students...see Terry. National average is 85.4, in case anyone is interested.

And I understand from Terry there was quite a range from 98 to... well... maybe retaking it in December? So much for "99", eh KBond?

Wow, Pollei's getting personal. Ouch!

Rumor is we ranked 13th in the country for average Part 1 scores this year. That's much better than we traditionally do. Of course, keeping with our clinical focus, the Part 2 scores were second highest in the country.

ItsGavinC said:
Our dean isn't giving our scores out, so I'll get them via the mail.

I do know that our school average was an 83, which is fair considering we are a brand new program. I'm expecting that average to get raised by 2-3 points for the current D1 class.

I'm curious. I know Arizona is a new school, but why do you expect to see a 2-3 point jump in the D1 class? What would be the causes for such a significant jump?

Anatomical Sciences: 94
Biochemistry/Physiology: 92
Microbiology/Pathology: 96
Dental Anatomy: 99

Overall Average: 95

Cumulative Study Hours: 8-10 hours/day for 2 weeks
Recommended Studying Materials: OLD EXAMS, DECKS...that's it.
Most Difficult Section: I usually felt that micro was the hardest for me when taking old exams, but on test day, biochem was much more difficult for me.
Study DOs: Look at all the old exams, repeat questions are everywhere.
Study DON'Ts: Don't take more than 2 weeks as you will burn out and there is a point that continued studying won't help much at all.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the score I received. I studied like crazy for those 2 weeks and I think it paid off.

For UNC students, did Terry say how the 1st years who took it did compared to the 2nd years? I was trying to decide if there is an advantage to taking it sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drove to Terry's house and she wasn't there so I put up a tent and will be sleeping on her doorstep until she returns.

DcS, you need beer for your campout? I'll drop off some Killian's.

HBomb said:
I'm curious. I know Arizona is a new school, but why do you expect to see a 2-3 point jump in the D1 class? What would be the causes for such a significant jump?

Their DAT class average is a few points above ours. I think the curriculum changes will have the biggest impact though.

Scores arrived in the mail today. Just a small white envelope with an ADA return address.

Anatomic Science: 92
Biochemistry: 93
Microbiology: 91
Dental Anatomy: 90

Overall Average: 92

Total Study Hours: 8 -10 hours per day for 11 days. (July 1 -11)

Most Difficult Section: While studying old exams, Anatomy was the most difficult; but on the actual test I thought Micro was a little harder. I had hoped for a 94 -98 on the Micro section based on what I was doing on old exams, but I scored a lot lower.

Recommended Study Aids: Decks and Released Exams is all you need if you study them right.

Study DO's and DON"T's: Ditto Juice and Bitecys' advice. Don't overdo it. There is no need to study from textbooks, Kaplan books, or any other study aids for months. Just nail the info on the back of the Decks and memorize old exams.

Anatomic Science: 90
Biochemistry: 90
Microbiology: 92
Dental Anatomy: 92

Overall Average: 91

Total Study Hours: 15 hours the weekend before the exam and 20 hours a month before the exam for my schools mock boards

Most Difficult Section: Microbiology. I've had a bunch of courses in this and did well on all the old exams and on our mock boards but felt it was much harder on the real boards.

Recommended Study Aids: Decks and Released Exams

Study DO's and DON"T's: Set yourself a goal and determine how much effort would be needed to achieve that goal. I decided that I wanted to get a 90 or better and that I wouldn't need a lot of study time to get that. If I had decided that I needed a 95 or better I would have put in much more time.

As for those who took the computerized board at UNC (i.e. DDS1's), I don't think Terry has those scores unless it was three-four weeks ago.

And as for my score, I'll just say I was satisfied and the other info in this thread mirrors what I'd say. Did think Gross was hard on the real exam and it proved my lowest section.

Anatomy 75
Biochem/Phys 99
Micro/Path 96
Dental Anatomy 80

overall 88

Talk about inconsistency!
I studied the weekend before the exam just old tests and about half the decks. I have a Masters degree in Physiology and Pathology so that helped.

Do: study I'd say 2 weeks max
decks/tests

Don't: stress out

YAH-OO! said:
Anatomy 75
Biochem/Phys 99
Micro/Path 96
Dental Anatomy 80

overall 88

Yeah, you're actually pretty lucky that you didn't fail anatomy and have to retake it! A perfect score in one section than a minimum passing in another is very strange, though.

YAH-OO! said:
Anatomy 75
Biochem/Phys 99
Micro/Path 96
Dental Anatomy 80

overall 88

I studied the weekend before the exam just old tests and about half the decks. I have a Masters degree in Physiology and Pathology so that helped.

Do: study I'd say 2 weeks max
decks/tests

Don't: stress out
Thats good advice for someone with a masters in Phys and Path but not for anyone else.

Hey, GavinC, I thought you would probably know the answer to this since you are the dental guru. If you don't then I will just keep asking around. I just got my scores and did very well in 3 sections (90s), but barely passed the evil Microbiology. It brought my score down to just below 90. Even though I didn't fail Micro, is there a way I can retake just that section? Or would I have to retake the whole thing? And IF I did have to retake the whole thing, would they only count my highest scores? Do you see what I am getting at here? Basically, although high 80s are good, there is definitely a stigma at programs about the 90 cutoff. Anyway, let me know if you have any info for me since you are the man.

hypodontia said:
Hey, GavinC, I thought you would probably know the answer to this since you are the dental guru. If you don't then I will just keep asking around. I just got my scores and did very well in 3 sections (90s), but barely passed the evil Microbiology. It brought my score down to just below 90. Even though I didn't fail Micro, is there a way I can retake just that section? Or would I have to retake the whole thing? And IF I did have to retake the whole thing, would they only count my highest scores? Do you see what I am getting at here? Basically, although high 80s are good, there is definitely a stigma at programs about the 90 cutoff. Anyway, let me know if you have any info for me since you are the man.

Hypodontia, I'm in the EXACT same situation as you, except my flopped section was Anatomy.

To answer your questions, we can't retake a section unless we failed (below 75) that section. So, the option left to us is to retake the entire exam. The only downpoint to that is that the ADA doesn't send out your highest score, but rather your most current score. So if by some fluke you score worse on the retake than you did the first time, then that poor retake score is the one that programs get when you apply.

So that's the dillemma that I'm left with. I can let my score stand (a respectable score but not good for post-grad work), or I can retake the exam and risk getting a worse score, which would be a horrible experience.

Since Gavin is the man, I'll just throw in my $0.02. Since you've passed all 4 sections of Part 1 exam, you are not eligible to retake only one particular section in attempt to increase the score for the section!

You can only retake a previous failed section. You may retake the whole thing though! As far as do residencies take the highest scores or do they take the latest scores? I'm not sure about other specialties, but some OMFS residencies told me that they will take whatever score that I submit through ADA (or directly to the residency).

If you do worse on the 2nd time round, then you don't have to submit the new scores, which means what residencies don't see, they don't know! That is the answer I received. Now, some residencies may require the latest Part 1 score you got and some may require the highest? I really don't know, perhaps some of the current Ortho and OMFS residents can share that with us.

I've always thought that if you retake the Part 1, the residencies will always get the latest/newest set of scores and that's what they judge you by, but I guess that is not the case from what I've been told.

At any rate, if you wish to increase your Microbiology/Patho section, you will have to retake the whole exam! Good luck!

Anatomical Sciences: 83
Biochemistry/Physiology: 86
Microbiology/Pathology: 83
Dental Anatomy: 91

Overall Average: 86

Cumulative Study Hours: hmm..studied 3.5 weeks before, pretty hardcore for 2 weeks and I was pretty damn stressed out!

Recommended Studying Materials: Kaplan, decks for Anatomy and Micro (but I was one of the weird ones who didn't really do decks), old tests, old tests, old tests, old tests, old tests - KEY in my opinion! I basically focused my studying off old tests.

Most Difficult Section: Biochem/Phys...because I suck at it. Didn't really study Micro/Path because I thought I would kick it's ass and didn't....I scored pretty much as I thought I would overall, though and am happy with my score since I don't want to specialize.

Study DOs: Keep going even though you feel like killing yourself. it WILL pay off. The only people who fail are those who DON'T STUDY!

Study DON'Ts: study late at night, study the day before, study just the decks, not take a day off a week and DON'T compare with friends what you have/haven't studied or how you're scoring on the practice tests - it'll just make you feel worse and/or behind.

CONGRATS, EVERYONE!! YAY FOR US!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yah-E said:
If you do worse on the 2nd time round, then you don't have to submit the new scores, which means what residencies don't see, they don't know! That is the answer I received.

I think you are correct, however when the ADA submits scores to licensure boards, they submit the most current scores. That is, if on the retake you fail the exam then you haven't completed the requirements for National Board certificate.

Anatomical Sciences: 95
Biochemistry/Physiology: 95
Microbiology/Pathology: 99

Overall Average: 97

Cumulative Study Hours: 262 (I kept a log so these are honest hours) I started 8 weeks before hand. Studied 1 1/2 weeks on each section (4-5 hours a day), then 3 days on each section (about 6-7) hours a day then 1 day on each (all day) with 1 day of general cramming the whole 98 and pilot exams.

Recommended Studying Materials: Decks (went through them about 4-5 times), Tests (80's and up, didn't really touch the 70's), USMLE (for biochem, physiology, and micro, that's it), Netter's and Vitalsource to look up anything I didn't know.

Most Difficult Section: Biochem/Physiology. This section was my best in old exams but I found it difficult on the real deal.

Study DOs: Study section by section and get through everything at the very least twice. MAKE A SCHEDULE, it was the greatest aid. At the end I had no desire to study any more but I just did it because I was so used to it. Just put the time in, it's that simple. My advice is to DEFINATELY freak-out, that's the only reason I kept going. I didn't have any partners to study with, I always do better on my own, some people are different. Review, review, review. It's amazing how much I would forget after a few weeks. I spent a lot of time with netter for anatomy. Spend just as much time on dental anatomy, it paid off for me.

Study DON'Ts: Don't touch Kaplan. Don't buy a ton of material. Don't worry about what school you go to, anyone can rock the boards!

Work hard, it's worth the effort. I'm so glad it's over!

UNLV OMS WANABE said:

Cumulative Study Hours: 262 (I kept a log so these are honest hours) I started 8 weeks before hand. Studied 1 1/2 weeks on each section (4-5 hours a day), then 3 days on each section (about 6-7) hours a day then 1 day on each (all day) with 1 day of general cramming the whole 98 and pilot exams.

Recommended Studying Materials: Decks (went through them about 4-5 times), Tests (80's and up, didn't really touch the 70's), USMLE (for biochem, physiology, and micro, that's it), Netter's and Vitalsource to look up anything I didn't know.

Most Difficult Section: Biochem/Physiology. This section was my best in old exams but I found it difficult on the real deal.

Study DOs: Study section by section and get through everything at the very least twice. MAKE A SCHEDULE, it was the greatest aid. At the end I had no desire to study any more but I just did it because I was so used to it. Just put the time in, it's that simple. My advice is to DEFINATELY freak-out, that's the only reason I kept going. I didn't have any partners to study with, I always do better on my own, some people are different. Review, review, review. It's amazing how much I would forget after a few weeks. I spent a lot of time with netter for anatomy. Spend just as much time on dental anatomy, it paid off for me.

Study DON'Ts: Don't touch Kaplan. Don't buy a ton of material. Don't worry about what school you go to, anyone can rock the boards!

Work hard, it's worth the effort. I'm so glad it's over!

man, freaking pwntage :D

congrats bud...looks like that specialty is right around the corner ;)

WELL yah e had to yet again send his two cents in. as it is, i had eneough of him in oral surgery posts.

well gavin is right. you have to retake the entire thing. i got an 89 overall. and i am retaking them again in two weeks.

so it sucks, but this is life

congrat guys...
*gulp* wish i was done

didn't you guys want to keep this page clean...w/ just scores and how to study?

UNLV OMS WANABE said:

Congrats man! YOU NERD! See......I told you your actual score will be higher than the practice exams.... :D

Shariq, don't make me throw more OMFS sh1t up yo @ss! :laugh: Go study.

UNLV Bill, congrats man! Job well done. :thumbup:

If UNLV Bill is a nerd, then Doggy what are you with a 98?

HAha your right about that chief

Taking the boards again is the worst. I think i could do more of the OMS **** up my ass. IT will beat studying for the boards

Anatomy: 92
Biochem/Phys: 97
Micro/Path: 96
Dent Anat: 99

Average: 96

Most difficult section: Ironically, I actually thought Path was by far the most difficult and Anatomy was the easiest. My gut feeling is that Anatomy this yr did not have much of a curve. I'd love to see the score converter.

Studied: About 6 wks, but some of that time I was in clinic/class. Overall, I'd say I studied 200+ hrs.
Study Materials: Decks, USMLE First Aid book, Review books on biochem, micro, and path, and old tests.
Do's: Spend lots of time looking over old tests (not just the week before). Study the med school review books.
Don't: Spend all your time on decks. Decks will only take you so far.

DDSSlave said:
Anatomy: 92
Biochem/Phys: 97
Micro/Path: 96
Dent Anat: 99

Average: 96

Most difficult section: Ironically, I actually thought Path was by far the most difficult and Anatomy was the easiest. My gut feeling is that Anatomy this yr did not have much of a curve. I'd love to see the score converter.

Studied: About 6 wks, but some of that time I was in clinic/class. Overall, I'd say I studied 200+ hrs.
Study Materials: Decks, USMLE First Aid book, Review books on biochem, micro, and path, and old tests.
Do's: Spend lots of time looking over old tests (not just the week before). Study the med school review books.
Don't: Spend all your time on decks. Decks will only take you so far.

Kev, what did I tell you man? You'll be in that ortho program in not time. Just keep your grades up dude :D

congrats

Hey gav aren't you going to share?

YAH-OO! said:
Hey gav aren't you going to share?

I scored in the upper 80s, but my anatomy score is a full 10 points below other scores, so I'm going to retake the exam (not because I failed--I didn't come close to failing any section).

I'm simply not happy with my scores, so hopefully I can get my act together the second time around.

I wasn't going to post because I wasn't sure that I wanted people in my class to know my score, but a lot of my class knows now, so oh well. Plus I was very blessed when I took this test, and I didn't want to come across poorly.

Biochemistry/Physiology: 98
Microbiology/Pathology: 98

Overall Average: 98

(DAT: AA was 24, Total Science was 24, PAT was 20)

Cumulative Study Hours: Hard for me to give an exact number since I have been studying hard for this test since I started dental school :) :) :) I will say that I put in about 12 hours a day for the week before the test (excluding Sunday because I didn't want to burn out). That's all the time they give us off from our summer semester at UNC, so I didn't have much of a choice. Plus my wife went to visit her family in Utah that week which made studying more effective.

Recommended Studying Materials: I went through the decks 3 times (VERY GOOD material) including the backsides of the cards. I went through all the old tests and took the pilot exam (also VERY USEFUL to gauge yourself). I glanced at a copy of the Kaplan notes but IMHO they looked too esoteric to be effective for me.

Most Difficult Section: I thought it was Micro/Path, but it seems that either Anatomy was harder than I thought or there was only a small curve to it

Study DOs: I studied in a group for 3 hours of each of my 12 hour days. We were able to quiz each other and reinforce key ideas. I really liked the Decks and all the old exams including the pilot exam. MOST IMPORTANTLY I personally feel that studying very hard the first 2 years of dental school with the purpose of learning the material not only for the individual classes, but for the boards (and your patients) will help you more than anything else, but that's just my opinion. :)

Study DON'Ts: Don't overlook how helpful the old tests and decks are. The actual questions change, but the content is about the same. But don't rely soley on them either.

I am going to have my younger brother post his score now too (tarheel) since we took the test at the same time, I hope this stuff helps some people out.

grtuck

I wasn't going to post either but my brother suggested that I should, so here you go. I was very blessed, if anyone has any questions for me, feel free to PM me.

Anatomical Sciences: 98
Biochemistry/Physiology: 97
Microbiology/Pathology: 94

Cumulative Study Hours: I put in about 12 hours a day the week before the test (excluding Sunday because I didn't want to burn out). That's all the time they give us off from our summer semester at UNC, so I didn't have much of a choice.

Recommended Studying Materials: I went through the decks 2.75 times (VERY HELPFUL). I went through all the old tests and took the pilot exam (also VERY HELPFUL).

Most Difficult Section: I thought it was Micro/Path. :)

Study DOs: Most importantly I tried to do real well in the classes that I knew would be on the boards. The decks and old test are useful to quiz yourself and to review/refresh what you have learned. Also, if your school gives you more time off, use it, I would have.

Study DON'Ts: ???

tarheel

Truck and Tarheel are you guys twins?

Anyway I took the Exam in 2000, Part 2 in 2001.

Anatomy 88
Biochem/Phys 92
Micro/Path 95
Dental anatomy 91

Overall 92

Part 2 88

For part 1 I studied the decks about 4 times and did the old tests - some of this time was studing in a group quizing each other which I think is good.

Part 2 I studied leisurely (at starbucks or in cafeteria) with friends. I did the decks twice and the old tests ( I found more repeated questions on Part 2 than Part 1.)

Dos: In the afternoon of part 1 in the paper exam do the dental anatomy section first - because the occlusion requires a lot of thinking and I was tired. The micro section is just rote memory work. I thought the micro was my worst section, but I guess not. It seems to be the trend in this post that Anatomy is the worst score for most.

Don'ts: Stress out too much - Most likely if you do some studying you will pass only about 2% actually get a score of 75 or less in a section. If you want to get 90 or above - I would learn as much on decks as you can, including the backside. Do old exams and change the questions around to make the other choices correct. Don't spend a lot of money on Kaplan courses or books; Unless, you are not a good test taker to begin with. We had one person in our class fail 2x until he took the kaplan to finally pass.

Yes tarheel and I (grtuck) are brothers, but no we are not twins. I am about 18 months older than he is.

grtuck

ItsGavinC said:
I scored in the upper 80s, but my anatomy score is a full 10 points below other scores, so I'm going to retake the exam (not because I failed--I didn't come close to failing any section).

I'm simply not happy with my scores, so hopefully I can get my act together the second time around.

Do you want to specialize? Why in the world would you retake it if you passed?

Tarheel said:
I wasn't going to post either but my brother suggested that I should, so here you go. I was very blessed, if anyone has any questions for me, feel free to PM me.

Anatomical Sciences: 98
Biochemistry/Physiology: 97
Microbiology/Pathology: 94

Cumulative Study Hours: I put in about 12 hours a day the week before the test (excluding Sunday because I didn't want to burn out). That's all the time they give us off from our summer semester at UNC, so I didn't have much of a choice.

Recommended Studying Materials: I went through the decks 2.75 times (VERY HELPFUL). I went through all the old tests and took the pilot exam (also VERY HELPFUL).

Most Difficult Section: I thought it was Micro/Path. :)

Study DOs: Most importantly I tried to do real well in the classes that I knew would be on the boards. The decks and old test are useful to quiz yourself and to review/refresh what you have learned. Also, if your school gives you more time off, use it, I would have.

Study DON'Ts: ???

tarheel

Nice scores! When you left the exam were you like "wow, that was easy." Or did you not have any idea that you did so well?

So, grtuck and tarheel, what are you guys interested in doing after d school?

yo guys, what kinda envolope did the scores came in, as I m gonna tell my roommate to open it for me, as i m not at my place currently.