2005 Match - Post info, interview dates, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you think the ophthalmology forum is helpful?

• Yes

Votes: 60 98.4%
  • No, please see below for suggestions.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

PPV

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps people could post information they learn about the 2005 match here.

So far, I've heard from Loma Linda saying that their interview dates this year will be Dec 7 and 14.

Also, I got an e-mail from the U Wisconsin residency director letting me know that as of August 2004, the ophthalmology residency program there is under probation from the ACGME. Anyone have any inside info about the situation and how easy it will be to resolve?

Lastly, does anyone know when the Doheny and UC San Diego interview dates will be?

Look forward to meeting everyone on the interview trail.

Members don't see this ad.

Many interview dates can be found on the SFMatch website after logging in to the program directory. It seems to be continuously updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also got the letter from Loma Linda, but nothing from Wisconsin. Interesting.

Interview offer via telephone today from MCG.

Once you turn in the monstrous CAS application how long does it take to get to the programs - 3 weeks?

Also, has anyone heard from any programs yet?

Don't expect anything until late September; the bulk of interviews will start rolling in in October and early November. Good luck and enjoy the ride :D .

PPV said:
Also, I got an e-mail from the U Wisconsin residency director letting me know that as of August 2004, the ophthalmology residency program there is under probation from the ACGME. Anyone have any inside info about the situation and how easy it will be to resolve?.

I have heard the same thing from what I consider is a reliable source.

This is a shame because Wisconsin prides itself as being a good program. For quite a few years, they sent people to the University of New Mexico for additional phaco experience as UNM has cases but no residency program. I wonder if the ACGME accused Wisconsin of not having much staff involvement in resident teaching??? Or maybe they accused Wisconsin of not having enough cases because their VA is poorly run (gossip from years ago)???

Wisconsin is a kind of program that will resolve it's probation problems. Unlike small programs in New York City, the RRC doesn't want to give an established program like Wisconsin too much trouble. The RRC (ACGME) is a strange organization as some lousy programs are not on probation.

To answer others' questions, I have heard that University of Texas, Houston has only 1 interview date, the last Wednesday in November, Medical University of South Carolina has several dates, one of which is in January, and that Wisconsin usually interviews as early as late September.

Visioncam said:
To answer others' questions, I have heard that University of Texas, Houston has only 1 interview date, the last Wednesday in November, Medical University of South Carolina has several dates, one of which is in January, and that Wisconsin usually interviews as early as late September.

I am not sure why MUSC/Storm interview so late. I remember the year I was applying, they actually were interviewing on the weekend before the Monday on which the ranking list was due...

Crazy if you ask me...

I was wondering if some people would also post their step I scores and such just to give the rest of us an idea of what is needed to be considered. Thanks for any input.

Are these actual interview offers or simply the notification that they got your stuff and they'll tell you if you're granted an interview later on?

I've got a few of the latter but no actual interviews yet.

yeah ive received a few responses saying they got my app, but no interview offers...they all say they will let us know in october or something

Jaded Soul said:
I saw there was one of these last year, so I wanted to start one this year. Seemed like a good way to see when programs are sending out interviews and when those interviews are.

I've heard from:

- UT Southwestern (Heard from on 9/14): Interviews on 10/15, 10/29, 11/5, 11/12, 12/10
- U Rochester (9/14): 10/15

What date did you send out your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do most of the programs let you know of their offer? My one so far came by telephone, but I'm curious if the others will come by mail, e-mail, etc.

Totally program-dependent. Most will send a letter, some will e-mail, and others like the personal touch (i.e., phone call). It's worth noting that they also tend to send offers in waves. If they don't fill their dates with the first wave (e.g., some applicants may have conflicting offers or decide against interviewing for whatever reason), they send out additional invites. So, just because someone you know heard from a program and you haven't, don't assume you are completely out of the running. Of course, that is not to say you should reserve that program's interview dates if other offers come along.

Too bad for wisconsin -- thought highly of them til I heard the news. they even managed to rank on the ophthy times list as one of the top programs.

I spoke with residents from Wisconsin last night at a dinner. The program is making changes to address the issues that resulted in the program being placed on probation. Those who receive an interview, can inquire about the specifics when you interview.

Jaded Soul said:
I saw there was one of these last year, so I wanted to start one this year. Seemed like a good way to see when programs are sending out interviews and when those interviews are.

I've heard from:

- UT Southwestern (offered interview on 9/14, e-mail): Choice of dates--10/15, 10/29, 11/5, 11/12, 12/10
- U Rochester (offered interview on 9/14, e-mail): Assigned date--10/15

CPMC- San Francisco is calling out interview invites now too. :)

heard from so far:
-Rochester
-UTSW
-Loyola

(does anyone who has interviewed at these places before have any useful info about them?)

so i take it being in the same batch (5) as the ppl already hearing back from programs means i probably didnt get an interview there...darn..BUMP!

ZR1 said:
so i take it being in the same batch (5) as the ppl already hearing back from programs means i probably didnt get an interview there...darn..BUMP!

I think these are just super early programs -- I'm at a CA school, and the department here just started reviewing applications last week... so no worries, I think the earlier post that the majority will come in Oct is true. Good luck!
:) P.S. Also, CPMC is interviewing on 11/22 and through the beginning of Dec -- I would have listed the other dates (I think 11/29 and early Dec?,) but I can't remember them other than my own date... sorry :oops:

YAGman said:
heard from so far:
-Rochester
-UTSW
-Loyola

(does anyone who has interviewed at these places before have any useful info about them?)

I thought UTSW was awsome. I liked the faculty, residents, and (surprisingly) the location. The institution has a lot of money, so their fascilities are state of the art (Parkland is a county hospital that looks like Mayo clinic; this is the only program I've seen that has tablet PCs in every exam room- you can actually draw your fundus exams in different colors and it gets stored with pt's medical record!).

Good luck,

YAGman said:
heard from so far:
-Rochester
-UTSW
-Loyola

Loyola does not have the reputation of stronger optho programs, but you will definitely be exposed to a lot of surgeries there. The faculty, although small in number, were super nice and approachable. Facilities (eye rooms), if I remember, were pretty new. I would rank Loyola as the #1 or #2 program in Chicago (the other major player being UIC, but I didn't interview there). I think all the Chicago programs meet on Sat morning for lectures (something to consider). Chicago, so I've heard, is a great city - although Loyola is not downtown.

Another piece of advice: get to know the first year residents on the interview day because they will be your chief when you start.

my first interview offer - yale (postmarked 9/20)

Hello.
US IMG here with diminishing hopes.

I got word from Cole Eye Inst (e-mail) that:

"Due to the extremely large volume of extremely qualified applicants"
they will not be able to offer me an interview.

I am becoming really depresserd since this is the 1st thing I hear. I do not expect to get that many interviews, but at least was hoping for the 1st to be positive.
Plus when you do not get an invite supposedly you don;t hear from them.
So what is that all about?

PS. My noitce of receival papers all say batch 6...

D

Demspawn,

Don't get too upset -- CCF's almost a top ten program. I'm sure all of us are anxious, and we'll all feel like crap after getting rejected.

Plus, you wouldn't want to live in Cleveland anyway.

See you on the trail...

Morton said:
Demspawn,

Don't get too upset -- CCF's almost a top ten program. I'm sure all of us are anxious, and we'll all feel like crap after getting rejected.

Plus, you wouldn't want to live in Cleveland anyway.

See you on the trail...

Thanks Morton...
I just think it is a bad way to start.
Good luck to you.

D

demspawn said:
Plus when you do not get an invite supposedly you don;t hear from them.
So what is that all about?

D

Is this correct? If I am notified that "I should expected to hear by (date)" and I don't, should I take this to mean that I was not offered an interview?

Good luck to everyone; the butterflies are starting...

Vitals: CAS Batch #6, Distributed on 9/12. Received by programs about 9/16.

So far I've gotten these interviews:

1. UTSW (email) attended
2. Rochester (email) cancelled
3. Yale (postal) cancelled
4. University of Washington (email) cancelled
5. CPMC (call) attended
6. UC Davis (email) attended
7. Cole/CCF (email) attended
8. University of Virginia (email) cancelled
9. Univ of Illinois at Chicago (email) attended
10. Univ of Chicago (call) attended
11. Mayo Clinic (email)
12. Case Western (email) attended
13. Oregon Health Sciences/Casey (call) attended
14. Univ of Arizona (email) cancelled
15. Univ of Michigan (call) attended
16. Tufts (letter) cancelled
17. New York Medical College (letter) cancelled
18. Washington University in St. Louis (email) attended
19. Univ. of California-Irvine (email) attended
20. Kresge (email) cancelled
21. Indiana (email) cancelled
22. Wilmer (email) attended
23. NYU (call) attended
24. Emory (email) attended
25. UCSF (email) attended
26. UCSD (email) attended
27. Loma Linda (email) cancelled
28. Columbia (email) attended
29. Cornell (email) attended
30. UCLA (email) attended
31. Boston University (email) cancelled
32. NYEEI (postal)
33. UMDNJ (call) cancelled
34. Wills (postal) attended
35. George Washington (call) cancelled

Waitlist
Baylor ("on hold") via email

Rejections:
Northwestern (via email)
Iowa (via mail)
UPenn (via email)
MEEI (postal)
Univ of Colorado (email + postal)
Doheny (postal)
Stanford (postal)
Duke (postal)

Last edited: 12/8/2004
Hope this helps. Hope to see everyone on the interview trail. Good luck!

Heard from UC Davis today via email!

Even if you don't hear from Davis before the deadline don't loose hope! I actually did not hear from Davis until mid-October; there was a short e-mail saying "can you come on Nov 7th?", that's it. It may very well happen to you too.

does anyone know what programs use step 1 scores to screen applicants?

yeah cole eye is top ten from what i last saw. ANd dont worry i got that letter or rejection too. ROCK! ;) .. anyways, yeah, dont lose hope, ull get ur interviews soon enough, from waht i hear its early.
U all getting ur interviews from UTSW and BAYLOR and DAVIS must also ROCK! ok anyways, take care.

ZR1 said:
yeah cole eye is top ten from what i last saw. ANd dont worry i got that letter or rejection too. ROCK! ;) .. anyways, yeah, dont lose hope, ull get ur interviews soon enough, from waht i hear its early.
U all getting ur interviews from UTSW and BAYLOR and DAVIS must also ROCK! ok anyways, take care.
OH and i love chicago, and not hearing from loyola when others have SUCKS. :) but yeah good luck to all. ok ill stop now, gotta get back to clinic. :cool:

Oh well... what can you do...

cross you fingers and brace yourself for impact...

D

To how many preliminary programs should one apply?

I have heard less than the Ophtho progs, but I am not so sure.
30 or go for 40?
There is also the scramble wihch is pretty good for US-IMGs.

D

demspawn said:
To how many preliminary programs should one apply?

I have heard less than the Ophtho progs, but I am not so sure.
30 or go for 40?
There is also the scramble wihch is pretty good for US-IMGs.

D

I've been told anywhere between 10-20 should be sufficient by students who matched for prelims/transitionals last year.

It would be helpful for the rest of us if those who've heard from CPMC, UTSW
Rochester, Yale, UC Davis, and Baylor could please post the potential interview dates they gave you when you were notified.

I have heard from harvard, bascom, wilmer, jules stein, doheny, scheie, iowa, wills and uic...they all seem to want me since i have come up with a brilliant technique for full globe transplantation.
ok im kidding, i havent heard from anyone, i was jus bored. ;)

PPV said:
Rochester, Yale, UC Davis, and Baylor could please post the potential interview dates they gave you when you were notified.

CPMC: I received a call from their secretary who offered me 11/22, and some dates in Dec... but I can't remember the specific dates.

Loyola: Got a call from the secretary too, "Darlene" who offered me 10/20, and Wednesdays into Nov, I think Dec (Wed because they want you to go to Grand Rounds) except 10/27.

Yale: Got a letter, 11/12, 11/13, 12/10, 12/11. (Saturdays!)

Good luck all! :)

tufts - postmarked 9/29
interview dates: 11/22, 12/3, 12/6

Vitals: CAS Batch 7, distributed on 9/20.

Offers:
1. UT Southwestern-Dallas (email) - done
2. CPMC (call)
3. U. of Washington (email, 10/4) - done
4. UC Davis (email, 10/6) - done
5. CCF (email, 10/6) - done
6. SUNY Downstate (email, 10/10) - cancelled
7. Ohio State (call, 10/11) - cancel?
8. Case Western (email, 10/15) - done
9. Scheie (call, 10/20)
10. MEEI (email, 10/20)
11. Northwestern (email, 10/20) - cancelled
12. Casey (call, 10/20)
13. Iowa (mail, 10/21)
14. BU (email, 10/25) - cancelled
15. UT San Antonio (call, 10/29) - cancelled
16. Emory (email, 11/4)
17. Brown (email, 11/9) - cancelled
18. UCLA (email, 11/9)
19. Vanderbilt (email, 11/10) - cancelled
20. Duke (call, 11/11)
21. Wills (mail, 11/15)
22. George Washington (email, 11/19) -- interview dates 12/4 and 12/11

Rejections:
Baylor (10/18)
Wash U. (11/5)
Doheny (11/5)
Stanford
Georgetown
Wilmer
Columbia
UCSD

Waiting to hear from (ie. rejection or waitlist):
10 programs

Last edited: 11/19

UC Davis (email): 11/5, 11/19
Cole Eye (email): 11/5, 11/11, 12/2

Good luck all! :)

PPV said:

the dates for cpmc are 11/22, 11/29, 12/6.
dates for uc davis are 11/5, 11/19

you can find many of the interview dates on the SF match site in the program directory (not available in the public directory).

rm

Hey Jaded Soul--

You and I must have something in common--we have gotten interview offeres from a lot of the same places (T-tech, UFL, Galveston, maybe others?), and we both got rejected from Davis! :laugh:

Anyway, maybe I'll see you 'round.

Just got an email from SUNY Downstate. They just gave me the date of Dec. 2nd.

Just joining this board - what a great idea!

I got the same email from SUNY Downstate today - assigned 12/2.

Also have Yale, Tufts, and NY Med College (snail mail around 10/7, dates 12/7 and 12/15)

Via email today: 10/29, 11/1, or 11/5.

Interviews:
Univ. of Wisconsin 11/19 and December ?
Univ. of Michigan 10/28 and 11/4
Cleveland Clinic 11/11 plus others
St. Louis Univ. 11/2 and 11/5

Past Deadlines:
Ohio State
Baylor

34 to go...

Gnarley said:
Past Deadlines:
Ohio State
Baylor

Past deadlines?? If we haven't heard from them yet then we are not going to hear from them EVER?