Good news for FUTURE OF NEVADA and MEDICINE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like Nevada has some great changes after today's voting. Question # 3 was favored which puts a $250k or $350k cap on lawsuits and lawyer costs. Also, another was favored which was against trial lawyers. It is called Question # Stop Frivolous Lawsuits and Protect Your Legal Rights Act: Penalizes lawyers who are willfully involved in vexatious and frivolous litigation, and prohibits changes to limits on recover of monetary damages.

Those are 2 good things !! :thumbup:

This was VERY due because docs are fleeing from Nevada due to the insane malpractice. This should be over soon hopefully as I hear they were losing some great docs. :)

Members don't see this ad.

OnMyWayThere said:
It looks like Nevada has some great changes after today's voting. Question # 3 was favored which puts a $250k or $350k cap on lawsuits and lawyer costs. Also, another was favored which was against trial lawyers. It is called Question # Stop Frivolous Lawsuits and Protect Your Legal Rights Act: Penalizes lawyers who are willfully involved in vexatious and frivolous litigation, and prohibits changes to limits on recover of monetary damages.

Those are 2 good things !! :thumbup:

This was VERY due because docs are fleeing from Nevada due to the insane malpractice. This should be over soon hopefully as I hear they were losing some great docs. :)
Great post OMWT! Just curious...where did you learn about this?

cardiotonic said:
Great post OMWT! Just curious...where did you learn about this?
Well considering we're going to school there and it's the fastest growing city in the nation, I was hoping I could have a practice there someday. I was voicing my concern to my friend who lives there and he told me they had big signs all over the hospitals saying " Keep our doctors in Nevada" . Anyway, after I heard that, I did a search online and learned that both were passed but I cannot find that specific website with all the info but here is an article about question 3 being won http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Nov-03-Wed-2004/news/25163219.html I heard that lawyers were at the big polling placing trying to persuade voters to vote NO. I can't believe we almost had one of these guys as the VP of our country!
What Nevada's doctors wanted Tuesday, the electorate delivered. What Nevada's trial attorneys wanted, the electorate denied.

But don't be surprised if the Nevada Supreme Court has the last word.

Question 3, the physician-backed initiative to limit pain-and-suffering awards in medical malpractice cases, had approval from 60 percent of the state's voters late Tuesday.

Trial lawyer-backed Questions 4 and 5, which were opposed by doctors who said the measures would undo Question 3, had received 34 percent and 37 percent approval, respectively, from voters.

"We felt very confident Question 3 would pass," said Dr. Rudy Manthei, leader of the Keep Our Doctors in Nevada campaign.

Manthei credited voters for understanding that lawyers had hidden malpractice agendas in the Question 4 and 5 initiatives, which were on the ballot as The Insurance Rate and Reform and Reduction Act and the Stop Frivolous Lawsuits and Protect Your Legal Rights Act.

Chris Brown, a 46-year-old nurse who moved from California in December, echoed dozens of voters in saying she found the language of ballot questions baffling.

She said she knew how she felt about medical malpractice, but she found the ballot questions difficult to sort out.

"A lot of the ballot questions are confusing," she said. "A lay person can't really understand the pros and cons."

With the passage of Question 3, exceptions for gross negligence and exceptional circumstances are removed from the existing $350,000 cap on noneconomic, or pain-and-suffering, damages.

Doctors think that stabilizing pain-and-suffering recoveries will enable their malpractice insurers, who have had to speculate on what future awards would be, to offer lower premiums. Unless malpractice premiums are lowered in Nevada, many doctors have said they will move to states where insurance rates are lower.

Though the new law will go into effect later this month, trial attorney Gerald Gillock said he expects its constitutionality will be tested soon.

"It will never pass constitutional muster," he predicted.

The new law does not allow third parties, such as Medicaid, to recover expenses paid on behalf of a medical malpractice victim, Gillock said. "So the taxpayers will get stuck with the bill," he said. "There's no way that is constitutional. "

He said that because the new law limits lawyers' contingency fees, that means people will not be able to choose the attorneys they want. "That, I believe, also will be found unconstitutional," he said.

Manthei said he expects a court test, but he is sure physicians will prevail.

Insurance executives have said that lower malpractice insurance premiums will not be possible until the constitutionality of Question 3 is upheld.

The new law also changes how certain damages are paid by health care providers who have been found negligent.

It requires that, when an award equals or exceeds $50,000 in future damages, the court must allow the same to be paid in periodic payments instead of a lump sum, if requested by either party. Doctors think that provision will mean fewer lawsuits because lawyers' financial gain will be delayed.

The statute of limitations for filing actions is changed under the new law. Current law provides that, if the injury was not immediately apparent, the injured person has two years from the time the person discovers or should have discovered the injury to file the lawsuit. Passage of Question 3 reduces that to one year.

Though attorneys said passage of Question 4 could mean auto insurance premiums would be cut by 20 percent, state government officials said that was doubtful. Doctors said that a provision in Question 4 could end up wiping out limitations on compensation awarded by juries.

While Question 5 would penalize attorneys who engage in meritless lawsuits, doctors said that the measure was a malpractice bill that would ensure that there would be no limit on attorneys' fees, no interference with a jury award and no limitation on damages.

"The people were able to figure out the basic principles of 4 and 5," Manthei said.

Members don't see this ad :)
The measures these lawyers take is amazing http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/htm...=News&sp3=Election+2004&sp6=news&sp7=election
Statewide ballot Question 3, which would cap lawsuit damages for pain and suffering, limit lawyer fees and reduce patients? rights to sue their doctors for malpractice, was passing in early returns Tuesday night.

Meanwhile, Questions 4 and 5, created by lawyers to defuse Question 3, were going down to defeat late Tuesday. Both Questions 4 and 5 would amend the Nevada Constitution and would have to pass in two elections. Question 3 is proposed law, not a constitutional amendment.

Question 4 would roll back insurance rates by 20 percent for all types of insurance and negate caps on lawsuit damages if the caps failed to reduce doctors? skyrocketing malpractice premiums. Question 5 would impose sanctions on lawyers who filed ?frivolous lawsuits,? but also contained language negating Question 3 and prohibiting lawmakers from capping lawsuit damages or limiting lawyer fees.

Polls showed all three questions would pass, but the passage margins for Questions 4 and 5 were reduced in each new poll. Doctors and business interests raised more than $2.5 million to promote Question 3 and urge voters to defeat Questions 4 and 5.

Lawyers raised more than $800,000 to promote 4 and 5.

All three ballot questions are an outgrowth of the state?s ?malpractice crisis,? which began when Saint Paul Insurance Co., then the state?s largest malpractice carrier, left Nevada in 2002.

That summer, a special session of the Legislature capped pain and suffering awards at $350,000 but allowed exceptions to the cap for ?gross malpractice? or if ?exceptional circumstances? were present.

But doctors, insurance companies and business interests wanted more restrictions on lawsuits.

After lawmakers declined to pass the ?Keep Our Doctors in Nevada? initiative last year, the question went on the ballot Tuesday.

Lawyers, instead of meeting Question 3 head-on, crafted Questions 4 and 5 with consumer-friendly titles in order to negate the ?Keep Our Doctors in Nevada? initiative.

But critics said the insurance rollbacks mandated by Question 4 might drive carriers out of the state, and said the sanctions against lawsuits in Question 5 were redundant because judges are already allowed to punish lawyers who file meritless lawsuits ? an option they rarely use.

OMWT

thanks for the info

one of the ms-1's told me about that on my interview last monday

i'm glad it got passed :thumbup: