Official Thread: Ohio State Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TripleDegree said:
What about scrubs, lab coats etc?

Yeah, TD, we need scrubs or lab coats for anatomy lab. I think there's a separate used scrub/dissection instrument sale for that stuff. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

logos said:
A stethescope I can understand the necessity of. But i'm hoping that it will be possible to get away with not buying the oto/optho scope. Seems like they should have it on the wall anywhere you would need it? I'm sure once school starts we'll get the straight story about what we actually need. So far every there seems to have been very straight forward.

I agree with you, logos. The $133 for a stethoscope is a lot of $$$ as it is. Hopefully, we can get away with not buying the oto-opthalmoscope.

Oh yeah, refunds were issued a couple days ago! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Just a quick question: What time are we supposed to show up for orientation(on 17th)?

P.S. Anyone planning to live at University Village apartments?

premedgeek said:
Hey guys,

Just a quick question: What time are we supposed to show up for orientation(on 17th)?

P.S. Anyone planning to live at University Village apartments?

Orientation begins at 8:30 in Meiling Hall. :thumbup:

Cholinergic said:
Oh yeah, refunds were issued a couple days ago! :D

Yeah - that was a nice surprise. I had e-mailed Beth in Financial aid about the refund date last week and been told that they would be disbursed around 8/16.

$133 really isn't that bad for a high quality stethoscope. My biggest concern with having a nice scope is that I will misplace it or it will walk away. I am thinking about having the bell engraved for that reason.

Seems like another thread on allo (not Ohio State) discussed that you could get away without the oto-opthaloscope because they were usually available on the wall (as you mentioned before) or that if not, you could usually borrow one from someone who had one. Maybe we can get together with our anatomy groups or orientation support groups or something and chip in to buy one to share.

On another note - what is everyone wearing to the first day of orientation and white coat? I don't own much in the way of "casual dress" clothes (for orientation) - its either jeans or a dress. I plan on wearing a dress for white coat - not sure how formal it should be?

Can't believe there is less than a week! And I haven't really even started to pack (and this is a MAJOR pack - we bought a house). Of course, we don't close on the house until Monday, and may not get possession until Wed or Thurs next week. :( Kind of bums me out because that may mean I won't be able to attend the social functions after orientation next week.

On a similar note - do any of you current students know if they will have a social event after white coat/ice cream social on Wednesday? My parents are coming in from out of town, and we will probably go out for a nice dinner. I'm sure there will others who will have parents around who want to go out for dinner as well?

AmyBEMT said:
$133 really isn't that bad for a high quality stethoscope. My biggest concern with having a nice scope is that I will misplace it or it will walk away. I am thinking about having the bell engraved for that reason.

Seems like another thread on allo (not Ohio State) discussed that you could get away without the oto-opthaloscope because they were usually available on the wall (as you mentioned before) or that if not, you could usually borrow one from someone who had one. Maybe we can get together with our anatomy groups or orientation support groups or something and chip in to buy one to share.

Good suggestions.

On another note - what is everyone wearing to the first day of orientation and white coat? I don't own much in the way of "casual dress" clothes (for orientation) - its either jeans or a dress. I plan on wearing a dress for white coat - not sure how formal it should be?

Almost certain I'm wearing jeans to orientation. I live quite close to the union so I'll be going home to change for the white coat ceremony. Will probably wear a skirt for that.

Can't believe there is less than a week! And I haven't really even started to pack (and this is a MAJOR pack - we bought a house). Of course, we don't close on the house until Monday, and may not get possession until Wed or Thurs next week. :( Kind of bums me out because that may mean I won't be able to attend the social functions after orientation next week.

On a similar note - do any of you current students know if they will have a social event after white coat/ice cream social on Wednesday? My parents are coming in from out of town, and we will probably go out for a nice dinner. I'm sure there will others who will have parents around who want to go out for dinner as well?

Not sure about the social events, but there is probably a reception after the white coat ceremony. Good luck with the move! (Moving sucks, I know. . .)

Vomitonme said:
Random side note: I'm moving to Columbus from CA on Wed. Im getting a little nervous, but mostly excited. Anyone gonna be in town then?

Hey, I am just in from CA as well. If anyone plans on getting together before school starts, let me know. Otherwise, I look forward to meeting all of you at orientation.
Mike

Columbus is freakin hot and humid. My apartment doesn't have an A/C in it yet so I'm dying. I haven't sweat this much indoors in a long long time.

Hey all,

I don't know what's wrong w/ me but I just found this thread. I've known for quite a while now that I'll be at OSU for med school (BS/MD student) but I guess I've just been an unattentive SDNer. OSU's a great place and I'm sure all of you are going to love it. Look forward to meeting you all on Wed!

2muchplanning said:
Hey all,

I don't know what's wrong w/ me but I just found this thread. I've known for quite a while now that I'll be at OSU for med school (BS/MD student) but I guess I've just been an unattentive SDNer. OSU's a great place and I'm sure all of you are going to love it. Look forward to meeting you all on Wed!

hey 2muchplanning welcome to this thread! don't think we've heard from too many BS/MDers at OSU. Do you know how many of the class of 210 students are BS/MD?

good luck

i got the super-top-secret-isn't-ready-for-your-eyes-until-wednesday orientation schedule for you guys below. enjoy.

-------------------------------------------

2005 ORIENTATION SCHEDULE
OSU COLLEGE OF MEDICINE AND PUBLIC HEALTH (COMPH)

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 17, 2005

8:30 a.m. Registration
9:00 – 9:10 Welcome, Don Batisky, M.D. Associate Dean, Admissions and Records
9:10 – 9:20 Introduction of Coordinators, Paul Weber, M.D.
Vice Dean for Education, COMPH
Associate Vice President for Health Sciences
Education
Curriculum:

9:20 – 9:55 Med 1-4 Overview, Daniel M. Clinchot, M.D. Associate Dean, Medical Education

9:55 – 10:15 Expectations, Judith Westman, M.D. Associate Dean, Medical Education Administration

10:15 – 10:30 Patient Centered Medicine, Douglas M. Post, Ph.D.
Director, PCM

10:30 – 10:45 BREAK

10:45 – 11:15 Integrated Pathway Overview,Charles L. Hitchcock, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, IP

11:15 – 11:45 Independent Study Program Bruce Biagi, Ph.D.
Overview Director, ISP

11:45 – 12:00 Physician Development Doug Knutson, M.D.
Director, PD

ANNOUNCEMENTS

12:00 LUNCH – Sponsored by:
BARNES AND NOBLE: The Ohio State University Bookstore
Meiling Lobby

4:00 White Coat Ceremony (Ohio Union)

5:00 Ice Cream Social (Ohio Union)

7:00 – 10.00pm SOCIAL - Buckeye Cafe
Sponsored by Student Council

THURSDAY, AUGUST 18, 2005

8:30 – 9:00 BREAKFAST – Sponsored by Panera

9:00 – 9:10 Welcome Fred Sanfilippo, M.D., Ph.D. Senior Vice President for Health Sciences
Dean, College of Medicine and Public Health

9:10 – 9:20 Diversity & Cultural Affairs Leon McDougle, M.D., M.P.H. Assistant Dean, Diversity & Cultural Affairs

9:20 – 9:30 Student Affairs Linda Stone, M.D. Associate Dean, Student Affairs

9:30 – 9:35 Records/Registration Lorna Kenyon
Director, Admissions and Records

9:35 – 9:55 Financial Aid, William Lush
Director, Student Financial Aid

9:55 – 10:05 Student Life, Maria Coganow
President of Student Council

10:05 – 10:25 BREAK

10:25 – 10:40 Medical Student Advisory John M. Stang, M.D.
Center Assistant Dean, Student Counseling & Tutoring

10:40 – 10:50 Research Opportunities, Norton Neff, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean, Graduate Education

10:50 - 11:30 Tech Orientation Larry Hurtubise
Associate Director, Ed. Technologies and Strategies
Center for Knowledge Management

ANNOUNCEMENTS

12:00 – 1:30 LUNCH – Sponsored by:
COLLEGE TOWN - PICNIC AND TEXTBOOK RAFFLE
West Ball Room – Ohio Union

1:30 – 2:00 Ohio Residency for Michael Murray
Non-Residents Residency Counselor
Office of the University Registrar

1:30 – 3:00 INFORMATION FAIR - Meiling Lobby

ASK Desk Information Systems COMBINED DEGREE PROGRAMS:
Barnes & Noble-The OSU Bookstore Inter-Professional Council MD/JD MD/MPH
2MD: Medical Multimedia Design MILITARY: MD/MBA MD/PhD
Laptop Support U.S.Air Force, U.S. Army MD/MHA
College Town U.S. Navy, OH Army Nat’l Guard Ohio Union
Phys. Free Clinic Medical Student Advisory Center Landacre
Disability Insurance Prior Health Science Library RPAC (old Larkins)
Diversity & Cultural Affairs Traffic & Parking Student Wellness Center
Fifth/Third Bank Senior Partners Program

9:00 - ? SOCIAL – The Lodge Bar
Sponsored by AMA Medical Students Section
FRIDAY, AUGUST 19, 2005

9:00 – 10:20 Professional Well Being Linda Stone, M.D.
Associate Dean, Student Affairs

ANNOUNCEMENTS

10:30 – 11:30 Orientation to Gross Anatomy Robert Dephilip, Ph.D.
Director, Anatomy Module

11:30 – 1:00 LUNCH – Sponsored by: The Office of Students Affairs
Meiling Lobby

1:00 – 4:00 Student Activities Fair Student Organizations
Meiling Lobby
Used Book Sale
007 Meiling (Canteen) Laptop Set-up Station
160 Meiling

9 pm – ? SOCIAL - Panini’s Bar and Grill
Sponsored by American Medical Student Association

TripleDegree said:
shameless bump

11 days and counting to WC-day

Deaftoan or gunit - i was trying to explain the ISP program to some of my doctor buddies, and they were curious that there was no lab with biochemistry or physiology labs etc - stuff that they had to go through during their medical educations. my impression of the ISP was that you needed to be on campus for the exams, but for everything else, you could be at home. any insights?

i have friends at other med schools who do have labs, but as far as i know, neither ISP nor IP have any kind of labs for any of the subjects. IP kids go to the anatomy lab to look at cross sections during the neuro blocks, but i think that's about it. i don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, since i have no idea what other people are learning in lab.... i wonder what percentage of medical schools have lab? and you're right, for ISP, you can be at home for everything but the exams (this is only for the sciences obviously... it doesn't pertain to PCM, PD, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads-up, deaftoan. I really appreciate knowing the schedule so I know what kind of time I will have next week for unpacking (we are moving Tuesday). Gotta love the free (I hope, anyways) lunches. I had class in Postle hall last year from 10:30 - 12:30 and it seemed like the dental students had free lunches at least once a week (pizza, subs, salads, etc).

Vomitonme - you don't have AC???? :eek: That really sucks. I hope you are getting it soon because I seriously doubt that the hot, humid, dog days of summer are over.

If any of you guys in Columbus are looking for something to do tomorrow, its the last day of the Ohio State Fair. You can see the schedule here. $2 off admission with specially marked coke cans. I gotta tell ya, the Purina Incredible Dog challenge is pretty good. If you go, make sure you don't miss the butter cow. Lots of great food.

TripleDegree said:
Do you know how many of the class of 210 students are BS/MD?

good luck

I think we're matriculating in about 16 and one who's doing MD/PhD. That's the best I can do with trying to remember names in my head :)

Deaftoan: Thank you so much for posting that schedule! It always helps to get an early heads up of what's going on.

Deaftoan - thanks for that schedule. Sounds like we can be wrapped up with the mandatory events by early afternoon, and then participate in the social stuff afterwards.

Just a few days more...... wow, what a journey its been.

.... and to think the journey's just begun!

Thanks Deftoan! Its great to have an idea of what we'll be doing.

logos said:
Thanks Deftoan! Its great to have an idea of what we'll be doing.

Agreed, thanks deaftoan!

I haven't checked this thread in a while because I've been busy moving in. Only one more day until orientation...:eek:

Anyone else afraid they'll sleep in and miss orientation??? :oops:

Didn't today just rock??? I'm so thrilled with this school.

That Clinchot guy seemed super smart. my support group leaders were super cool too.

TripleDegree said:
Didn't today just rock??? I'm so thrilled with this school.

That Clinchot guy seemed super smart. my support group leaders were super cool too.

I think today was better. Dr. Stang was crazy! (in a good way, though)

The laptop ordeal took a while.

Unfortunately the only two people from SDN I've met so far are mcody and vomitonme. And I STILL haven't found anyone that's in my anatomy group. I guess I'll find them all tomorrow, though.

How is everyone else doing so far?

happy saturday morning to everyone - time to bump this thread back in to action .... hope everyone did well on that horrendous exam!

so, at the end of Division 1, what does everyone feel?

I've never been so glad to have a few days to myself! I was pretty exhausted after the exams yesterday.

Thw written went well. I'm curious to see what the avg is, and where I fall in all of that. I thought the majority of the exam was straightforward. There were only 15% or so secondary type questions where you had to use more than one piece of info to solve the problem. I was very surprised the exam was so straightforward.

I felt good about the practical, but ya never know!

How do people feel about stats? I'll probably look at that tomorrow (sunday).

I thought the tests went ok. I did well on the practical, but was suprised by the written test. There was some material on there that I hadnt even heard of before, let alone studied.

Most importantly, I learned how I am going to change my approach to studying during this next division.

As far as biostats...well...I know that there is some guy that comes and talks to us about it, but I think i've been zoned out for ~90% of what he has said...

Logos,

What was on the exam that you didn't study? And how are you modifying your study routine?

Hi,
I'm a female student from southern CA and I have an interview at OSU in early OCT. I was wondering if anyone would want to act as student host? I am looking for a place to stay and hoping to get to know the school better. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Sorry, I know this isn't suppose to be in this thread, but I thought I'll give it a try. Airfare and hotel are expensive and I'm short on the cash flow at the moment.

Thanks!

Interview on 10/10 (Mon). I would need to spend 10/9 night (Sun)--flying in that morning--leaving after the interview. Looking for female host. =)

If you contact admissions they'll set you up with a host. We were getting emails a few weeks ago asking who would volunteer.