Best Residency Programs Overall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Of these programs, which has the best reputation, in your opinion?

• Total voters
KevinEm said:
Actually - ask Apollyon if he went to a "real" medical school. His answer should be pretty funny.
I'm guessing he did since he has an MD and is called "doctor."

Members don't see this ad.

What the hell. If it'll help the MS-III's and IV's relax I'll vote but my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. I also think you left some really good programs off the list like NYU-Bellvue, Emory, Detroit and Highlands. There are also probably some outstanding programs on the list that I just don't happen to know anything about. You might also notice my preference for 4 year programs but since that's what I did I jealously consider all you Pgy3ers to be grossly undertrained. ;)

as bubba sparxx would say, it's getting uglyyyyyy up in here!

Members don't see this ad :)
tonem said:
Maryland?
Beats me, as his "screen name" (obviously somebody raised on AOL) tells me nothing. MD == degree or Maryland... or something else? Maybe he was referring to the "Daddy" part? I don't know.

Hmmm. A lot of sniping going on here this week. (And yeah, my first post, but I’m a lurker so deal with it).

I think there is a better question: What are the hidden gems out there as regards programs?

As has been mentioned many times recently, there are several usual suspects when the tedious topic of Best Program rears its head (see infamous poll, above). But addressing the hidden gems is useful because programs do evolve over time (not to mention the addition of new programs) and backing up your nominee with some reasons for "gem status" (TM) may perhaps provide some insight that is recent, relevant, and could genuinely help some who are trying to come to terms with a rank list.

Also, I think it would be a great idea if the RC started surveying people post-residency and specifically asking the resident graduates what, in hind sight, and after a couple of years in the field, they think was the weakest aspect of their program. Surely that is likely to be more objective than feedback from someone who is currently in a residency and thus may suffer, even among the most genuine, objective, and well-meaning individual, from a less than robust frame of reference. To say nothing of a resident who may have a vested interest in propagating the reputation of their program, but I like to think that there are very few here who are disingenuous in this regard.

I should end by saying that I do not mean to suggest that current residents don't have valuable comments -- I have learned much from posts by Quinn and others over the past 18 months about what to look for in a residency, and have been able to amalgamate many of their opinions into what I think will be my best fit residency. But the topic of Best Program isn't useful because we're in pursuit of an ultimate "answer"; Rather, it is the journey that is the utility.

Full disclosure: I'm in the match for EM this year so I know zip zero zilch nada and less.

Just as board scores aren't everything (but end up many times being a key factor in evaluating applicants), program reputation can play a role in various situations. I remember on fellowship director leaning towards an applicant (and eventually choosing her) b/c she trained at Cinci and UC usually is regarded as one of the big name places.

-andy

bulgethetwine said:
I think there is a better question: What are the hidden gems out there as regards programs?

Awsome! An actual specific question. I'd say the gems in the rough are Temple (as I said before) because I think they'll be hands down top tier within ten years. The program in Temple, TX (not related to Temple in Philly) is a gem in the rough. It sees a heavy trauma census for the number of residents it has. It's smack in the middle of TX with a huge catchment area with its helo service. If you like rural living but want to see enough tauma check it out. The program in Kalamazoo, MI is an underrated program. Good US, Dr. Overton is nationally known, solid community program with a good lifestyle in a nice place.

bulgethetwine said:
To say nothing of a resident who may have a vested interest in propagating the reputation of their program, but I like to think that there are very few here who are disingenuous in this regard.

True some might try to pad their own houses but as an EP in private practice I can assure that no one gives two sh--s about where I trained, or even if I did and didn't just forge the papers. I move the meat. That's all that counts in privates. Now in academics they care.

docB said:
Awsome! An actual specific question. I'd say the gems in the rough are Temple (as I said before) because I think they'll be hands down top tier within ten years. The program in Temple, TX (not related to Temple in Philly) is a gem in the rough. It sees a heavy trauma census for the number of residents it has. It's smack in the middle of TX with a huge catchment area with its helo service. If you like rural living but want to see enough tauma check it out. The program in Kalamazoo, MI is an underrated program. Good US, Dr. Overton is nationally known, solid community program with a good lifestyle in a nice place.

True some might try to pad their own houses but as an EP in private practice I can assure that no one gives two sh--s about where I trained, or even if I did and didn't just forge the papers. I move the meat. That's all that counts in privates. Now in academics they care.

I think Metrohealth in Cleveland is a "hidden jewel" as well. I ended up ranking it 4th only because I didn't want to drag the wifey up to Cleveland, but I think the program offers a lot and the ability to train at Cleveland Clinic, with its huge cardiac emphasis, would be a great experience. Plus Metrohealth just got a new ED from what I hear, and I thought their Grand Rounds had a great "informal, everyone-is-equal" attitude but also their discussions during the lectures were great.

Q

but here goes...

Champ
With all due respect, if you look at Roja's statements they were not even- handed and also contained a certain number of personal attacks- I consider those over the top (see his/her descriptive words such as gunner, ridiculous and implying that my question was merely being tolerated in a polite way by the regulars in this forum). If you read what I wrote nothing implies that I think Roja is naive merely because he/she diagress with me. However I do consider the personal attacks poor form. In fact, I agree with most of what he/she says regarding ROL and ultimately choosing a residency. I am just trying to get more information.

I am not sure what it is you gauge as a personal attack. You asked an opinion and I gave one. You have been 'taken to task' because you not only asked a question that has been asked *over and over and over and over* again (which to someone new to the forum is actually not that big of a deal, but when people actually to time to adress your question again, you get insulting.

What exactly about
As several have politely tried to point out, this is a gunner type question which has absolutlely *nothing* to do with the quality of EMP's that are created. As has been repeated, ad nauseum, residency is what you make of it. Crappy EMP's come from 'great programs' and vice versa. There are no overtly competitive fellowships and companies just want people who are trained.

So, the list is kind of ridiculous, in my opinion. The thought of 'top' programs didn't even enter into my application process. I picked an area I wanted to live in and ranked programs according to issues important to me.

Note, that I said it was a gunner type question. Not that you were a gunner. Perhaps you are, perhaps you arent. But the concept of 'top 5' anything related to medicine IS a gunner type issue. If you somehow got the idea that I was calling you personallya gunner, I apologize.

And I stand by my statement that that list is ridiculous, in my opinion. I have always thought these types of lists are ridiculous. Top 5 based on who? what? It is MY OPINION. And not based on ignorance.

So, when you call me niave, and state that you are not happy being ignorant (implying that I *am* happy being blissfully ignorant which maybe I am, you never know...), others are foing to call you for making an unfounded attack on me.

If you had *asked* which programs might have a bad reputation, you might have gotten a different response. Your question, irregardless of intention, implies that programs **NOT** on your list are not quality.

daddymd...
Come on folks, can't we all just get along. Seems that so many threads become new peeps vs. old school posters.
Who cares if Champ1999 thinks Roja's opinion is naive? Why does everyone feel the need to pounce on him for taking a different viewpoint? Maybe, despite her experience and status as a PGYII, her opinion on this issue is a little bit naive.

No one cares, per se. However, the reason (at least I hope) that people have decided to defend me is not because I have a bunch of posts, but because they respect my opinions. I do not come in and post randomly. I try and offer helpful advice. I have more than a traditional experience in certain things and have no problem admitting when I am out of my league in others. I do not spout off information or opinions when I have not thought about them. Champ was pounced on, not because champ has a different opinion but because s/he was insulting to a poster who has worked for that respect. And this is why, posters who have been around a long time, posting together, will defend each other when someone comes in, asks for advice and is then insulting.

And I am goign to have to agree with Wilco on this. Insulting a resident where you interviewed (even if it was accurate, which I have NO idea) is very poor form. It might also *ruin* your chances at matching there. (we have had interviewees dropped from a high rank list to a no rank based on resident opinions). Not to mention that your post implies that this person is a shallow insensitive person simply because he loves his new car.

And implying that someone has a less valid life than you, because they post online, is also a cheap shot that dramatically reduces the level of respect that would be given to you. I hope that its not indicative of what your true personality is like.

roja said:
but here goes...

Champ

No one cares, per se. However, the reason (at least I hope) that people have decided to defend me is not because I have a bunch of posts, but because they respect my opinions.

Nope it's pretty much cuz you have a lot of posts.... :)

tonem said:
Nope it's pretty much cuz you have a lot of posts.... :)

Actually, its cuz thier all intimidated by the size of my posts.

It's all about size.

The other problem with this survey is that it allows people like me to vote....an MSIII that doesnt know jack. I almost voted for fun, but didnt want to mess up your survey champ1999.

I vote for USF... cause quinn has lots of informative posts and he's a DO.
I vote for Duke ... cause appolyon speaks latin and thats cool.
I vote for Cinci ... cause I originally from OH ... so we can throw Metro in too.
I vote for UT Southwest ... cause Andy has a cool website.
I vote for Denver ... cause its ski season.
I definate vote for any program with hot redheads.

A good question to ask on this thread is how do you choose a program and narrow your choices? What are the things your should look for in a program? I realize Desperado went over this thoroughly on the EM FAQ page, but it would be nice to hear others opinions. I know Quinn applied to everything East of the Mississippi. Most agree location is number one. Now where do you go from here? And what if you are not at the top of your class or top applicant but have lots of love and dedication for EM? Is there a bottom tear we can apply to and get in? I know I know, the RCC and tight regulations. Yes, even after a couple months worth of research, I am still very niave. Another great question is ...what are the things that you hate or love about your program???

Much respect to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eme-RG-ency said:
Now where do you go from here? And what if you are not at the top of your class or top applicant but have lots of love and dedication for EM? Is there a bottom tear we can apply to and get in? I know I know, the RCC and tight regulations. Yes, even after a couple months worth of research, I am still very niave. Another great question is ...what are the things that you hate or love about your program???

Much respect to all.

Like you said, I applied east of the Mississippi. I was lucky, my fiance' at the time had no location restrictions, and said she would go anywhere. Beyond that, I didnt' really care where I ended up so I shotgunned my application and got 20 interviews. This allowed me to really check out a handful of programs (though I only went on 10). I went to big university programs, small rural programs, and some in between. It allowed me to get atleast a one-day view of a handful of programs.

If you need to stay in the Northeast, your job is easy... you can only apply to those programs. If you HAVE to stay in NYC, the choice is easy. Now if you have nothing holding you back and you can travel anywhere you want for residency, why not apply to a lot of programs and see where you get your interviews? Travelling around for interviews is stressful but for me also a lot of fun... its nice seeing all the different cities and meeting different peeps.

I don't think there's a "bottom tier" of EM programs... and you don't need to be #1 in your class to match into EM. Even average applicants get plenty of interviews.

What do I love about my program? My program overall. It is a perfect match for me.

What do I hate about my program? I wish our program were bigger... we only have six residents a year, it'd be a lot more fun if we had 8 or 10, I think... more people to hang out with and share stories with. I also wish we had a "name recognition" like some of the older programs, so people would give us a closer look. I do think we are a "hidden gem," but since we are such a new program we might get overlooked. Those are basically my only complaints at my program.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
I think Metrohealth in Cleveland is a "hidden jewel" as well. I ended up ranking it 4th only because I didn't want to drag the wifey up to Cleveland, but I think the program offers a lot and the ability to train at Cleveland Clinic, with its huge cardiac emphasis, would be a great experience. Plus Metrohealth just got a new ED from what I hear, and I thought their Grand Rounds had a great "informal, everyone-is-equal" attitude but also their discussions during the lectures were great.

Q

No, we're all dinguses and we suck.

I don't want any of these gunner pricks at my program, they'll just be hellish 'terns to flog.

We usually don't go very low on our rank list, not that I'm miffed that we're not on the little voting poll but ?John's Hopkins? and ?Harvard? are for emergency medicine.

Our conferences are great fun. And yes, we have a new ED. I like to think I christen a room each time I kill a patient in it. j/k

mike

mikecwru said:
I don't want any of these gunner pricks at my program, they'll just be hellish 'terns to flog.
mike

I disagree. I thought the gunners turned interns were the most fun. There was this one intern who would only talk about all the research they had done. I also remember this immortal quote, "The boards don't really test what you need to know to be a good doctor but I still got the 96th percentile." I watched with great amusement as a homeless drunk peed all over that intern one night. I guess the USMLE doesn't as what comes first for a drunk the foley or the physical.

I agree that it's more fun to haze the cocky students. It's so easy to find embarrassing gaps in knowledge that early in their training.

The point where the residents start trying to assert their independence is when they're the most dangerous. For those of us who did three year programs that was around the middle of the second year. It's when they start trying NOT to ask for the attending for help that you have to watch them the closest.

mikecwru said:
We usually don't go very low on our rank list, not that I'm miffed that we're not on the little voting poll but ?John's Hopkins? and ?Harvard? are for emergency medicine.
mike

It's tough to compete with the "World Famous Cleveland Clinic" afterall...

Eme-RG-ency said:
The other problem with this survey is that it allows people like me to vote....an MSIII that doesnt know jack. I almost voted for fun, but didnt want to mess up your survey champ1999.

I vote for USF... cause quinn has lots of informative posts and he's a DO.
I vote for Duke ... cause appolyon speaks latin and thats cool.
I vote for Cinci ... cause I originally from OH ... so we can throw Metro in too.
I vote for UT Southwest ... cause Andy has a cool website.
I vote for Denver ... cause its ski season.
I definate vote for any program with hot redheads.

A good question to ask on this thread is how do you choose a program and narrow your choices? What are the things your should look for in a program? I realize Desperado went over this thoroughly on the EM FAQ page, but it would be nice to hear others opinions. I know Quinn applied to everything East of the Mississippi. Most agree location is number one. Now where do you go from here? And what if you are not at the top of your class or top applicant but have lots of love and dedication for EM? Is there a bottom tear we can apply to and get in? I know I know, the RCC and tight regulations. Yes, even after a couple months worth of research, I am still very niave. Another great question is ...what are the things that you hate or love about your program???

Much respect to all.

Good questions. I think what to look for in an EM program has always been nebulous and ill defined. When I applied, I asked both residents and attendings and got different answers from everyone, so it will probably be different for you too.

I wanted a good location in a larger urban area, with lots of outdoor activities. Programs were more attractive to me if the facutly and residents came from diverse backgrounds and a variety of institutions. Pediatric exposure was very important, and at the time I thought it was important to have time in a dedicated Peds ED. I wanted to go to a place that offered fellowships, but I didn't necissarily want to pursue one so much as gain some exposure. I wanted lots of procedure exposure, plenty of trauma, and to be able to speak Spanish with patients. Ultrasound exposure and training was a bonus, as were CME/book reimbursement. I did not want to go to a program that required a genuine research project for graduation, as I've been there done that and don't really want to go back. I was a little wary of programs that required a lot of off-service rotations on the surgery or medicine wards, but that reflects my personal bias and aversion to those areas of medicine. Lastly and perhaphs most importantly, I wanted to go somewhere were the residents were cool as $hit and where I wouldn't get killed with work hours and call.

Those were my criteria, and my biases.

Also, I'd like to add In & Out Burger to list of residencies that are gems. They don't get much trauma, but thier GI works-ups are second to none... :D

well, now that things have finally calmed down... :D

I think possibly the simplest criteria to judge "the best" program would be the "which program will get me (almost) any (non-academic) job in the country?" factor, which seems to boil down to reputation and alumni base.

If that's very important to you, the majority of programs that are four-year, county/urban, and really, really old will do it.

Some examples (going west-to-east, with an obvious regional bias) would be Highland, USC/LAC, Denver, Hennepin, Charity, Cook County, Indiana, UC, Henry Ford, Detroit Receiving, Pitt, BMC, Hahnemann...

But, as has been pointed out, even if such programs are "the best" by this subjective measurement, many have prohibitive drawbacks for some people...

Oops. I fergot King's County. duh.

Hey... how come I didn't get an interview from In-N-Out? Geez. I only hit that place everytime I come back to CA... man, sometimes sucking up doesn't help. :(

I think it has been mentioned only once but what about Emory? Most of my faculty at my school thought it was a top program to train at. I was very impressed when I interviewed there also. Grady is huge and I am pretty sure you are going to be a badass EM doc once you come out of that program. It is definitely not a cush program by any terms and it is the only level I trauma center in Atlanta.

Just my own opinion.

Sessamoid said:
I agree that it's more fun to haze the cocky students. It's so easy to find embarrassing gaps in knowledge that early in their training.

The point where the residents start trying to assert their independence is when they're the most dangerous. For those of us who did three year programs that was around the middle of the second year. It's when they start trying NOT to ask for the attending for help that you have to watch them the closest.

<--- Licensed to smoke

NinerNiner999 said:
It's tough to compete with the "World Famous Cleveland Clinic" afterall...

Working at the the Cleveland Clinic Chest Pain and Pre-Surgical Testing Laboratory has its merits.

Networking has its advantages in such a small community. You can train at 3 year community places with level I trauma and still be involved with people who are amongst the board members at ACEP etc....don't go based on name of the program or associated school alone. Look at the faculty and their interests if things like fellowships and academics are important to you. There are some places, Summa in Akron OH for example, that have been around for 25+ years and have graduates all over the place and are very involved in academics and also are at nice community hospitals with fountains and free food and fun days at the golf course,etc...or you can go to big county hospital and start your own ivs,push pts to xray etc and work with their colleagues on the same ACEP committees...both types of programs' graduates have no problem getting jobs (or fellowships if they want them...) Best of luck.

Personally, I'm a fan of UF-Jacksonville...Gotta love residency at the beach!

dlung said:
well, now that things have finally calmed down... :D

I think possibly the simplest criteria to judge "the best" program would be the "which program will get me (almost) any (non-academic) job in the country?" factor, which seems to boil down to reputation and alumni base.

If that's very important to you, the majority of programs that are four-year, county/urban, and really, really old will do it.

Some examples (going west-to-east, with an obvious regional bias) would be Highland, USC/LAC, Denver, Hennepin, Charity, Cook County, Indiana, UC, Henry Ford, Detroit Receiving, Pitt, BMC, Hahnemann...

But, as has been pointed out, even if such programs are "the best" by this subjective measurement, many have prohibitive drawbacks for some people...
:clap: :clap: :clap: Just had to pop in to second the fact that Drexel (Hahnemann) is clearly one of the best programs out there - no bias of course ;)

We're no Maricopa, but... 25 years of graduates, something like 8 former residents who are PD's, and 3 active fellowships makes for a fantastic networking base for both academic and community positions! Oh... and we have pretty awesome training too :D

Scrubbs said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: Just had to pop in to second the fact that Drexel (Hahnemann) is clearly one of the best programs out there - no bias of course ;)

We're no Maricopa, but... 25 years of graduates, something like 8 former residents who are PD's, and 3 active fellowships makes for a fantastic networking base for both academic and community positions! Oh... and we have pretty awesome training too :D

I thought the residents were cool during the night before interview get together in Manyunk. Dr. Wagner seems like an awesome Chair who obviously has read through everyone's application (Drexel was the only place to have the Chair sit down with everybody and talk about everybody's unique experiences as a group on interview day). I heard great stories of how he is awesome to work with during shifts and even at his age, he continues to learn ultrasound and anything else new in EM.

I still am glad to have ranked Dallas #1 (although still a little cold right now) but Philly seemed to have some strong programs, too.

-Andy

Apollyon said:
Well, I'm not "about 10 people" - in fact, you described me almost to a "t" ("constantly" is a vague word, and two people out of 25 thousand isn't "everyone else"), but, the Latin, hey, that's the way I talk (which people that know me that are on SDN can attest to).

May not post much? You must be prone to hyperbole (both up and down). As dictionary.com says about the synonym "unknown quantity":

"a factor in a given situation whose bearing and importance is not apparent"

From what I've seen, most people have something good to say on SDN; your bearing is not apparent (and I would guess it would be positive). Not having time is understandable, but not having the inclination is more distressing, because that makes it sound like you have something to say, but choose not to. That is unfortunate.

As far as screen names, who the hell knows? Yours could be representative of anything from Ozzie Nelson to being the mack daddy.

It's good he has your approval (so he's not alone in his question).

The irony is that, by what you state, you (and Champ1999) both already have an idea what you believe are the "best" programs. However, from my anecdotal experience, the resounding theme that continually, year after year, comes down about EM is that the best program is the best program for you (kind of like the MVP - the most valuable player to a team - not in a league). To ask if Harbor-UCLA, Olive View-UCLA, Denver, Cinci, Hennepin, or any other program is best implies someone trying to fit themselves into the program, instead of finding a program that fits the person. Is Highland best? If you want great training, but, also, the knife and gun club of Oakland, notwithstanding being in California (which is heaven or hell, depending on the person). Likewise for Jacobi, or Detroit Receiving for that matter - work your ASS off with a grueling, crushing pace, urban and inner city. Want tertiary, lot of zebras, and +/- suburban, with associated heavy pressure from medicine and/or surgery? Try UT-Southwestern, Stanford, Mayo, Duke, Hopkins? Want the home of modern day trauma? University of Maryland.

Opinions are like dinguses - everyone's got one, and most of them stink. Make your own decision.
oh apollyon, I couldn't help but comment on your obvious anger issues.......just kidding. I wanted to fire you up again. Honestly though, I think that there are 2 questions being asked and answered here......both legit. #1 what are the best programs? Obviously an individual and subjective question. For example, Apollyon's program (Duke I believe) blew it for many potential applicants when they had to scramble an ENTIRE class! For a medical center that has a reputation for being somewhat snooty, this looked like the PD refused to rank any but the very top applicants. Also, I knew the folks that didn't match into EM at my school........let's face it, they weren't being sought out for there vast fund of knowledge. #2 What programs have the best REPUTATIONS in the field of EM? This is a very different question, and one that indeed does have an answer. Denver, Pitt, Carolinas, Indiana, Cinncinati......These are the top 5 EM programs ONLY AS FAR AS REPUTATION goes. This says absolutly nothing about "fit" or quality of education for a particular applicant. I can't figure out why everyone gets so bent out of shape over this question. I also can't figure out how all of these "real EM" residents have time to post so much.....seriously......move on.

gpops said:
Denver, Pitt, Carolinas, Indiana, Cinncinati......These are the top 5 EM programs ONLY AS FAR AS REPUTATION goes.
Really? You figured this out how exactly?

Sessamoid said:
Really? You figured this out how exactly?
I agree with sessamoid.....top five according to whom?

I don't think everyone is bent out of shape...they're just tired of hearing the same pointless question over and over. There is no consensus of "top 5 programs" and even if there was why does it matter? Are you only going to apply to a program if everyone else thinks its the best? Will you think less of yourself if you don't match into a so called top program? If not then why the obsession?

gpops said:
I also can't figure out how all of these "real EM" residents have time to post so much.....seriously......move on.

So you're digging this up (it's already days old)...to say "move on". Irony.

So much time to post? Efficiency in the ED - I'm waiting for the next patient. If you aspire to be an excellent EM doc, you'll learn to multitask. I'm still getting better.

the top 5 he mentions appear to be from the poll above - although i'm not sure how he chose pitt to be the 5th over others w/ the same # of votes. timing of his post maybe?

Apollyon said:
So you're digging this up (it's already days old)...to say "move on". Irony.

So much time to post? Efficiency in the ED - I'm waiting for the next patient. If you aspire to be an excellent EM doc, you'll learn to multitask. I'm still getting better.

Stop being so insecure about yourself, Apollyon. You don't need to defend yourself every time you see something in an internet forum. Not everything is about you. Please just be happy that you are in Duke, so that you have time still lurking around SDN. Multi-tasking in ED should mean multi-tasking with the patients in ED, not SDN in ED.

Why don't you move on and enjoy your new BMW...

Attempting to sidestep the minefield of flames...

Judging programs is difficult because the EM RRC is VERY particular about what EM residents must complete by the end of their training, i.e., number of procedures, amount of time spent in the ICU, etc. There is not too much leeway in how the programs can deliver the residents to graduation. Thus pretty much any EM program will give you good training. If the program fits, wear it, and forget what everyone "thinks" is the "best" program.

About the hidden gems question:
East Carolina (Greenville, NC) doesn't show up on a lot of lists, but certainly deserves to. ECU has a gigantic catchment area, gorgeous facilities (brand new this year), and great faculty. Trauma is more blunt than penetrating (not a + or -, but just an observation), and medical pathology is impressive. There are some sick folks out that way. Residents are really nice and care a great deal about each other. Nurses and staff also seem quite happy. About 1 hour to the beach, 90 minutes to Raleigh. The main reason people don't go is because it is a small town in NC with not much around aside from ECU.

EVMS (Norfolk, VA) is also a sweet place to be. 4 different facilities give a good mix of populations. Trauma is good and growing. Faculty are awesome, very supportive and laid back. Teaching is great and is made a priority, no matter how busy it is. Residents are a rowdy and tight-knit bunch, definitely great folks to hang with. The city is experiencing a renaissance, with new restaurants and clubs opening weekly. 30 minutes to the beach, 4 hours to DC.

Both programs are in the top 10 for number of articles published.

About Maine:
Dr. Gibbs headed up there from Carolinas a few years back as the PD. He's very well thought-of by residents and students, and I've heard many people say that he is the reason that they considered Maine.

- 'zilla

cool little poll, although i would like to see a more inclusive one

This is like listening to people argue over the BCS rankings...

kungfufishing said:
in-n-out
post pad
fatty

How did you come up with that order? And why didnt you include haiku?

I still believe we should hold a post-season tournament.

After interviewing at a "top" program listed, and several non "top" programs I came away from it confused. As far as I could tell there were no major differences between the programs, and all trained good residents. In the end the rank list came down to where do I want to live, rather than what the programs had to offer, as they all pretty much offered the same thing.

I think whoever compared this to the BCS is missing a few things and honestly ranking EM programs is much harder than debatig the BCS. Outside of 4 or 5 teams you can say the other 115 or so dont belong. In EM you dont have the luxury to eliminate too many programs. For what it is worth I have met a ton of residents from a lot of different places in different types of EM residencies (1-3, 1-4, 2-4) and they all say that 90% of it is location and 10% is fit. Everyone gets a solid education. IMO which program is the best stuff is what makes EM different from EVERY other residency. We arent as concerned about being at the best as we are at being the best.

EctopicFetus said:
IMO which program is the best stuff is what makes EM different from EVERY other residency. We arent as concerned about being at the best as we are at being the best.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Plus we are concerned about the best burgers and fries... mmm IN n OUT

pinbor1 said:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Plus we are concerned about the best burgers and fries... mmm IN n OUT

Not to mention getting a sunburn on the beach, which IM residents can't ever enjoy.

EctopicFetus said:
I think whoever compared this to the BCS is missing a few things and honestly ranking EM programs is much harder than debatig the BCS.

Nope, not missing anything... been following SDN EM forum for years now. I am merely trying to have a sense of humor about a topic that has "explored thoroughly" on this message board.

And I still believe Haiku General has a better program than In and Out. Sure you got burgers at In and Out, but that Haiku got rhythm yo. And thats the shiznit, ya heard, sho nuff, fo real, woooooooop.

Eme-RG-ency said:
Nope, not missing anything... been following SDN EM forum for years now. I am merely trying to have a sense of humor about a topic that has "explored thoroughly" on this message board.

And I still believe Haiku General has a better program than In and Out. Sure you got burgers at In and Out, but that Haiku got rhythm yo. And thats the shiznit, ya heard, sho nuff, fo real, woooooooop.

At the expense of coming off as a REAL AS*H**e, if you are class of 2006 as your moniker expresses, shouldn't you wait until you are maybe, at least, IN a residency before you extol?

Of course, I'm IN a residency, and I'm not sure that my opinion would be any more/less valuable than yours... Geez, I'm really not trying to inflame or trample on anyone's feelings, but....????

bulgethetwine said:
At the expense of coming off as a REAL AS*H**e, if you are class of 2006 as your moniker expresses, shouldn't you wait until you are maybe, at least, IN a residency before you extol?

Of course, I'm IN a residency, and I'm not sure that my opinion would be any more/less valuable than yours... Geez, I'm really not trying to inflame or trample on anyone's feelings, but....????

Ectopic is a fellow 4th year student... so its just brotherly love. I didnt mean any disrespect to him or anyone else on here. But since you mentioned it, sorry to get your panties in a bunch.

Getting into residency is a priority for me, so I think I will just quit posting on here all together. Peace and good luck to everyone this year.

Eme-RG-ency said:
Ectopic is a fellow 4th year student... so its just brotherly love. I didnt mean any disrespect to him or anyone else on here. But since you mentioned it, sorry to get your panties in a bunch.

Getting into residency is a priority for me, so I think I will just quit posting on here all together. Peace and good luck to everyone this year.

No, I'm the one who owes you an apology... must have been a bad day for me in the ED! This is EXACTLY the place you want to post and ask questions while you're trying to match. Just ignore the "panty twisted" questions from us overworked residents...

Sorry emeRGency, Good luck on the interview trail

-Bulge

So now that the Harris poll is out anyone find any surprises? I think Mich St at #10 wont last long. I see my beloved Hurricanes climbing to the top 5 before we play a major game vs Va Tech. Should be fun!

Seriously, I wish everyone the best getting into THEIR top EM program. I know for one I am not looking at the best rep, or any other thing like that. I want to go somewhere that I will like, work hard, learn a bunch, and prepare for a real job, and if possible help me get that job.