Albert Einstein Healthcare Network (Philadelphia) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrbigshot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewed or have any thoughts/comments about this program (good/bad/indifferent)? I've heard both that this is the program to be at amongst philadelphia em programs and also that it's the last place to be. Please help me out!!! thanks in advance. good luck to everyone as rank list time nears.

Members don't see this ad.

mrbigshot said:
Has anyone interviewed or have any thoughts/comments about this program (good/bad/indifferent)? I've heard both that this is the program to be at amongst philadelphia em programs and also that it's the last place to be. Please help me out!!! thanks in advance. good luck to everyone as rank list time nears.
Do a search here on our EM forums, I've posted about it before. Try "Einstein" or "AEMC" for your words.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Do a search here on our EM forums, I've posted about it before. Try "Einstein" or "AEMC" for your words.

Q
Awesome program for which I am partial. Pros: 1. Excellent training in Philly second to none 2. Urban population (including peds) with diverse path 3. structured 4 years with rotations in almost every dept in hospital (learn fractures from Ortho, Deliveries from OB), 4. Tintinalli read group. 5. Most advanced ED in Philly and we will soon have paperless charting in 6 months. 7. Excellent impressive jobs opp all over.

Cons:1. 4 long years with mostly 12 hr shifts=hardest sched in Philly 2. Not a big prestigous univ name...may not be able to "walk" into that fellowhip at Harvard like the Penn program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just returned from AEMC in Philly..

Two things impressed me most. (Getting into the 3 vs 4 year debate is a little beyond the scope of this reply.) First, the leadership is absolutely dedicated to the four year concept. They outline their strategy behind the curriculum fairly well and offer some subspecialized electives not found at other programs. You'll do burns at Temple, peds ED at CHOP, neurosurgery, and some other interesting tours of duty. The fourth year is seen as a, 'fine tuning' opportunity. 4th years act as trauma chiefs, lecture the junior residents, and oversee the ED. There's lots of graded exposure to EM. The lecture tracks for interns / juniors are separate from the seniors. Secondly, the ED environment is a little starship-enterprise like. Its almost entirely electronic. PACS systems and infrared patient tracking are highlights of the new ED. The ED is clean and extremely efficient. A strategy of any patient, any bed, any time seems to dominate delivery of healthcare.... Its a typical urban ED but with several technological upgrades including central monitoring capability, and chem-bio rooms. If you'd like some more specifics, feel free to PM me. I very much enjoyed visiting their ED...

Push

Anybody have any recent reviews? Any grads or current residents? How is your experience? How are the job prospects for seniors? Do they generally get jobs just in the area, or all over the US? How is this program perceived in the job market? How is the training? Did you feel well prepared after finishing training here? Are residents generally happy? Do they tend to hang out together, or do people usually do their own thing?

I didn't like the rotation breakdown.
For a 4 year proram, they don't have enough EM months.
When I looked, they had similar total months of EM to other 3 year programs.
That means you are spending an extra year on off-service rotations.
Sounded terrible to me.

That being said, the residents seem pretty happy and come out well trained.

I didn't like the rotation breakdown.
For a 4 year proram, they don't have enough EM months.
When I looked, they had similar total months of EM to other 3 year programs.
That means you are spending an extra year on off-service rotations.
Sounded terrible to me.

That being said, the residents seem pretty happy and come out well trained.

I was under the impression that most 4 year programs actually have similar amount of EM months as 3 year programs, but they allow more elective months and extra ICU/etc. Is this wrong?

I was under the impression that most 4 year programs actually have similar amount of EM months as 3 year programs, but they allow more elective months and extra ICU/etc. Is this wrong?
i can't comment on what most 4 year programs have for schedules.
I only really looked into a few programs.
Some offer extended research time. Some have more electives.
Some just sell you out to off-services rotations where you are free labor.

Anybody have any recent reviews? Any grads or current residents? How is your experience? How are the job prospects for seniors? Do they generally get jobs just in the area, or all over the US? How is this program perceived in the job market? How is the training? Did you feel well prepared after finishing training here? Are residents generally happy? Do they tend to hang out together, or do people usually do their own thing?

Seconding this