Thanks for the heart attack Pitt!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email today with the subject "merit scholarship" and it only took me about three times of reading it to realize they were inviting me to apply for one. Nothing like that to raise your blood pressure for the day...

Did everyone who interviewed at Pitt get this email? It was addressed to me but they could have an email program that makes each one appear to be individualized.

:D Treg

Members don't see this ad.

Treg said:
I got an email today with the subject "merit scholarship" and it only took me about three times of reading it to realize they were inviting me to apply for one. Nothing like that to raise your blood pressure for the day...

Did everyone who interviewed at Pitt get this email? It was addressed to me but they could have an email program that makes each one appear to be individualized.

i got it too Treg...got my hopes up and I was like "I haven't even interviewed yet, how can they be giving me money?"

They need to change the subject line

blump said:
i got it too Treg...got my hopes up and I was like "I haven't even interviewed yet, how can they be giving me money?"

They need to change the subject line

Ditto! I'm glad to hear other people got it too. I was beginning to think I was special and that can only be dangerous. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
treg when you say that you have been accepted and deferred, do you mean that you deferred for the starting class in 04 or are you trying to wait and start in 06? I was reading your page and I saw that you received several acceptances. good luck to ya in what ever you decide to do!! congrats!!

SRQGirl said:
Ditto! I'm glad to hear other people got it too. I was beginning to think I was special and that can only be dangerous. :laugh:

sigh... i wanted to be special

Treg said:

yup. sounds like an easy application, so i guess i'll go ahead and type somthing up. too bad pitt is non-rolling. i. hate. that. ****. :mad:

by the way, when do we actually hear from them? i've all but forgotten what i knew about pitt and northwestern, since my interviews were in september and they're non-rollers...

Treg said:

yeah... I was under the impression that everyone who interviews gets one (just because at my interview, they explained the scholarship to us, and told us all to expect more information about it in January...)

blah on academic medicine though... can't they give us money for wanting to go into primary care??? ;)

Damn, I thought I was special. Oh well.
The email left me a little confused... Are we supposed to just email them and attach an essay responding to those questions? What does this line mean: "Responses to this email may be submitted upon receipt."?

boardchic said:
Damn, I thought I was special. Oh well.
The email left me a little confused... Are we supposed to just email them and attach an essay responding to those questions? What does this line mean: "Responses to this email may be submitted upon receipt."?
actually, i took it to mean that we just stated our qualifications in the body of the email itself...seemed kinda informal to me at the time, so perhaps i just read it too fast or wasn't paying any attention whatsoever (imagine that! :laugh: ).

anybody have an answer?

all i saw was the first bit of their email address and my blood pressure was through the roof. "an email from [email protected] man its not a harvard interview"

yah, havent interviewed yet and got it; its a pretty cool idea tho on their part; more schools should it!

Is it not weird that you have to apply for the scholarship before you even know whether or not you have been accepted?

I got the e-mail too. When I saw that it was personalized, with my name in the body, I was hoping it meant that it was a sign of good things to come in the next month or two. Guess it didn't mean as much as I was hoping. Oh well, it won't stop me from still sending a reply.

BraneDoc said:
I got the e-mail too. When I saw that it was personalized, with my name in the body, I was hoping it meant that it was a sign of good things to come in the next month or two. Guess it didn't mean as much as I was hoping. Oh well, it won't stop me from still sending a reply.

yeah, got the e-mail too.. what sort of response do you think they want? sort of an ambiguous tell us why you're qualified request?! maybe just a revised/shortened PS focused on activities/insights related to our motivation to go into academia?

whaddaya think?