what's better, DMD or DDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJ_138

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know what the difference between the two is but I'm not sure which one is right for me.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no difference. None. It is the same degree with two different names, depending on which school you attend. Personally though, I would rather have a DMD because there are actually people out there that think DMD is the "Higher" dental degree cause of the "MD." Seriously. I have actually met people who think this. But by no means should this make a decision of where to go to school.

Reactions: 1 user
MJ_138 said:
I know what the difference between the two is but I'm not sure which one is right for me.

I may have been told wrong, but I was told that there is no difference. Schools are going to eventually move to the DMD name because it gets more respect from outside the profession (because people will associate it with MD). Again, that could be all wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD is better because you are actually a doctor as opposed to just a dentist.. :D

This link explains the story behind the DMD and DDS

"....This all changed in 1867 when Harvard University added a dental school. Harvard University only grants degrees in Latin. Harvard did not adopt the D.D.S. or "Doctor of Dental Surgery" degree because the Latin translation was "Chirurgae Dentium Doctoris" or C.D.D. The people at Harvard thought that C.D.D. was cumbersome. A Latin scholar was consulted. The scholar suggested the ancient "Medicinae Doctor" be prefixed with "Dentariae". This is how the D.M.D. or "Dentariae Medicinae Doctor" degree was started. (Congratulations! Now you probably know more Latin than most dentists!)"

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/dentist/qas/0,,239998_106768,00.html

Reactions: 2 users
my personal preference is DDS - surgery sounds so much cooler than medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
DMD_hopeful said:
DMD is better because you are actually a doctor as opposed to just a dentist.. :D

This link explains the story behind the DMD and DDS

"....This all changed in 1867 when Harvard University added a dental school. Harvard University only grants degrees in Latin. Harvard did not adopt the D.D.S. or "Doctor of Dental Surgery" degree because the Latin translation was "Chirurgae Dentium Doctoris" or C.D.D. The people at Harvard thought that C.D.D. was cumbersome. A Latin scholar was consulted. The scholar suggested the ancient "Medicinae Doctor" be prefixed with "Dentariae". This is how the D.M.D. or "Dentariae Medicinae Doctor" degree was started. (Congratulations! Now you probably know more Latin than most dentists!)"

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/dentist/qas/0,,239998_106768,00.html

lots of cool info.

i was told by some dentists, both DDS and DMD, that DMD's has more medical training.

demonicr said:
i was told by some dentists, both DDS and DMD, that DMD's has more medical training.
I was told by my dentist that "older schools" have the DDS, and the "newer schools" are DMD, but mean the same thing. Personally, DMD looks cooler :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
JakeMUSC said:
I was told by my dentist that "older schools" have the DDS, and the "newer schools" are DMD, but mean the same thing. Personally, DMD looks cooler :cool:

Harvard and UPenn are two of the oldest dental schools both have DMD .....
There is no difference between both degrees....

demonicr said:

No, they don't. The two were explained to me this way: if, at the time the dental school was founded, it was associated with a medical school then DMD was used. I don't know how valid this explanation is, but regardless, there is no difference between DDS and DMD. DDS is more common and in the blessed eyes of the public that tends to make DMD seem a bit more 'special.' Some schools, such as Case, are hopping on the 'special' bandwagon by changing their degrees from DDS to DMD. They claim that such a move is advantageous, but when I interviewed there noone could give me a good explanation as to why it is so (think fundraiser - they are encouraging their alumni base to convert their old degrees into the 'new and improved' for a price).

umm how can dmd be cooler?? dds is def cooler. who wouldn't to have a surgery at the end of their name if you care about md go get an MD then :)

anybody who says they are better than their equal is compensating for insecurity. got my b.s. in psychology. :cool:

zidanereal2003 said:
Harvard and UPenn are two of the oldest dental schools both have DMD .....
There is no difference between both degrees....

Penn used to offer a DDS, they recently (25ish years) switched to the DMD.

Actually, Maryland is the first dental school and they use DDS. There is absolutely no difference and anyone who says there is doesn't know what they are talking about.

ItsGavinC said:
DMDs are allowed to administer LA, as well as take more vacation days. :)
I heard that DDS was for people that couldn't get into DMD school.

LOL

you are right about i didn't get into a DMD school yet.. only DDS :(

toofache32 said:
I heard that DDS was for people that couldn't get into DMD school.

The tides may be changing, though. DMD's make less than DDS. Also, DMD's work on average 60+ hours a week, while the average DDS works 34 hours. Thats just not right, considering how much harder it is to get a DMD!

LordLister said:
The tides may be changing, though. DMD's make less than DDS. Also, DMD's work on average 60+ hours a week, while the average DDS works 34 hours. Thats just not right, considering how much harder it is to get a DMD!

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not? DMD is the same as DDS, it just depends what your school gives out. Show where you got these absurd stats from

LordLister said:

Please state your source.

You guys have to know that he is totally kidding. I can hear the sarcasm over the internet. :laugh:

LordLister said:

For those who just got into a DMD program there is still time to switch over to DDS! :idea:

the only thing the DDS/DMD degree does is confuses the public.

i am planning on working with my father after graduation and he is a DDS, so i was a little bummed when they changed us to a DMD halfway through last year at AZ. i just didn't want two different degrees listed on the practice advertising. not really a big deal, just a little annoying.

stupid harvard.

nothen2do said:
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not? DMD is the same as DDS, it just depends what your school gives out. Show where you got these absurd stats from

Trust me...you really don't want to see where I got these stats from. It's just not pretty.

DMD is for those that applied to medical school and were rejected but got accpeted to dental school and need that "MD" in the title. They dread going to work and wish the vaccine for caries would hurry up

DDS is a real dentist with lots of passion for his work and cares for their patients as if they were family

DDS2BE said:
For those who just got into a DMD program there is still time to switch over to DDS! :idea:
It will take a change of heart, to change from DMD to DDS! :D

i think people that see a difference in between DMD and DDS should be in Jail~!

aceking said:
i think people that see a difference in between DMD and DDS should be in Jail~!

Why? There's a HUGE difference. M is NOT the same as S - didn't you watch enogh Sesame Street? And S is obviously so much cooler, because 1. it is rotationally symmetrical and 2. it is my middle initial. End of argument.

I always thought DMD was cooler than DDS because it reminded of some kind of digital media disc like for the minidisc players, if you remember those from ancient times; LOL

I always thought DMD was cooler than DDS because it reminded of some kind of digital media disc like for the minidisc players, if you remember those from ancient times; LOL
Haha..you resurrected a thread that's over 11 years old to say this? How'd you even find the thread!

Reactions: 10 users
lol epic resurrection

I vote DDS. It flows on the tongue better. 10/10 would only go to schools offering dds

My first choice school administers a DMD, I absolutely prefer to have that title.

Reactions: 2 users
I wish it was called DOT (Doctor of Teeth) :boom:

Reactions: 3 users
Which is best? Whichever grants you the degree to be a dentist! You're welcome!

I wish it was called DOT (Doctor of Teeth) :boom:
-But then people would think that we are the osteopaths of dentistry.
-Then it would be new threads of "DOT VS DDS/DMD?"
-Then there would be expectations of grade replacement.
-Then, can you imagine how many "dentistry is saturated" threads there would be?

I'm just trying to have some foresight here, but I can be totally wrong.
:scared::scared::scared:

;)

This entire discussion sums up what is wrong with dentistry. How do we have two different yet similar degrees? It's not like the MD or DO thing, they are different. DMD and DDS receive precisely the same license. It just makes no sense.

This entire discussion sums up what is wrong with dentistry. How do we have two different yet similar degrees? It's not like the MD or DO thing, they are different. DMD and DDS receive precisely the same license. It just makes no sense.

Is that really such a bad thing? In my opinion, it is not.