Please help all future oral surgeons!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabba

beezer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help all future oral surgeons. I realized that it is better to get a second opinion. I have been trying to decide if I should retake my boards over. I got a 89 on part I. I am in the middle of class in an ivy league dental school. I have done so much research that I got a partial scholarship from columbia and got an award from NIH. I am interested in 6 years program dur to research potential.

SO SHOULD I RETAKE MY PART I BOARDS OVER???
THanks all !!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question. After you get your DDS from Columbia, how much longer does it take to become a OS?

Well, after getting DDS from Columbia, it's another 6 years. But I don't think I want stay here since I am not too fond of the neighborhood.

I was frustrated at myself during the summer since I only spent 1.5 week of studying for this exam. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jabba said:
Well, after getting DDS from Columbia, it's another 6 years. But I don't think I want stay here since I am not too fond of the neighborhood.

I was frustrated at myself during the summer since I only spent 1.5 week of studying for this exam. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

Well, it depends on other factors like your class rank, since you are applying for 6 years programs some schools will look at your undergraduate GPA and so on have you done an externship in os ?

I would suggest you talk to the os residents at Columbia I am sure they would help more than anyone else//

Jabba said:
Please help all future oral surgeons. I realized that it is better to get a second opinion. I have been trying to decide if I should retake my boards over. I got a 89 on part I. I am in the middle of class in an ivy league dental school. I have done so much research that I got a partial scholarship from columbia and got an award from NIH. I am interested in 6 years program dur to research potential.

SO SHOULD I RETAKE MY PART I BOARDS OVER???
THanks all !!

I mean this only constructively - but if you want to do a 6 year program you really need to retake your boards. Reason being is that whatever medical school is associated with the program you would potentially attend must accept you into their school as well. Also, a study done in the 90s demonstrated that there was a direct correlation between how well a student does on the NBDE part one and the UMSLE. So, IMHO 6 year programs tend to focus on your board scores maybe a little more than a 4 year program. Actually, it is likely that at many six year programs, if your board scores don't meet whatever their magic number is, won't interview you no matter what your other numbers and intangibles are. Of course, there are always exceptions, but in general this is the rule. So if I were in you shoes....well it would be a no brainer - retake them and good luck. :thumbup:

LSR1979 said:
I mean this only constructively - but if you want to do a 6 year program you really need to retake your boards. Reason being is that whatever medical school is associated with the program you would potentially attend must accept you into their school as well. Also, a study done in the 90s demonstrated that there was a direct correlation between how well a student does on the NBDE part one and the UMSLE. So, IMHO 6 year programs tend to focus on your board scores maybe a little more than a 4 year program. Actually, it is likely that at many six year programs, if your board scores don't meet whatever their magic number is, won't interview you no matter what your other numbers and intangibles are. Of course, there are always exceptions, but in general this is the rule. So if I were in you shoes....well it would be a no brainer - retake them and good luck. :thumbup:
You need to retake the boards to get in a good 6 year program. It might fly at some of the 2 tier programs though. Remeber that you will be applying along with a number of others from your 'Ivy League' dental school, so you need a better score to stand out.

tjb

Thanks all for all your help.

Many six year programs set their interview cut off at 90, sometimes higher. I was in a similar situation to you as far as class rank and I think my board score (93) was key in making up for my modest rank.

PS-don't count on an Ivy League dental education doing much for you in the way of opening doors to OMS

tx oms said:
Many six year programs set their interview cut off at 90, sometimes higher. I was in a similar situation to you as far as class rank and I think my board score (93) was key in making up for my modest rank.

PS-don't count on an Ivy League dental education doing much for you in the way of opening doors to OMS

You are in a six year program? Do you mind me asking what your class rank was? What about externships/research? Thanks - sorry if those questions are intrusive!

LSR1979 said:
You are in a six year program? Do you mind me asking what your class rank was? What about externships/research? Thanks - sorry if those questions are intrusive!

No, I don't care. I've posted them in the past, BTB (before the ban). These were the highlights of my application:

Class rank: ~40/95
Part I: 93
GPA: I think it was about 3.3-3.4
Externships: 4, three for a month, 1 for two weeks
Research: Presented one table clinic at the ADA meeting in New Orleans
Other: Tutuored gross anatomy for two years

tx oms said:
No, I don't care. I've posted them in the past, BTB (before the ban). These were the highlights of my application:

Just curious, are you currently attending one of the programs you did an externship at?

tx oms said:

How did you find time to do 3, 1 month externships. At my school we don't have that much time off during the summer. 3 weeks after 1st year, 2 weeks after 2nd, and 6 weeks for externships after 3rd.

Do you think it makes a difference how many weeks of externships you do? I am doing 4 but only 2 weeks at each.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV OMS WANABE said:
Do you think it makes a difference how many weeks of externships you do? I am doing 4 but only 2 weeks at each.
I think what you're doing is ideal. Honestly I would first do one that will give you tons of experience (Parkland/LSU), then for the other 3 pick ones you are interested at matching at and you'll shine. 2 weeks at each is plenty.

Match day is one week and counting!!!!!!!

tjb

Yes, I'm a resident in a program where I externed.

I would recommend that you do your first externship at one of the LSU programs where you can get a lot of experience, then do another externship at a program you want to match. If you extern at a program with a broad scope you can get an idea of what you like and what is available.

I had summers off in dental school and did two exterships in each of my final two summers.

tx oms said:
Amen to that. I didn't know there were any "ivy league" dental schools. The boards are the "great equalizer" to compare people across schools.

toofache32 said:
Amen to that. I didn't know there were any "ivy league" dental schools. The boards are the "great equalizer" to compare people across schools.

Well, still Ivy league students do better than most students in other schools.
Look at the average board scores at Harvard and UPenn among the highest..
Uconn compete with them though..

It doesn't matter where u graduated from but Ivy students do very well in the board exam I not very well in exam II though..

Speaking of NBDE Part II, how did you current OMFS residents do? 80s, 90s? Here at Nova, we're giving the opportunity to take the Part II during the summer between our 3rd and 4th year (that's when the Dean will certify the board exam application). I am strongly considering taking the Part II in August 2005 to free up my 4th year days.

If I do take it in 08/2005 and since it's around the time I will apply to OMFS residencies, will it hurt me if I get 80s or will it help me if I get 90s? What do y'all think? Obviously I will aim to do well on it (aiming for a 90 again), but is it a good idea to take it early especially if the residencies may use the results against me if I get 80s?

Ever heard residencies using the Part II in addition/supplement to Part I in deciding who to interview? Just curious.

Yah-E said:
Speaking of NBDE Part II, how did you current OMFS residents do? 80s, 90s? Here at Nova, we're giving the opportunity to take the Part II during the summer between our 3rd and 4th year (that's when the Dean will certify the board exam application). I am strongly considering taking the Part II in August 2005 to free up my 4th year days.

If I do take it in 08/2005 and since it's around the time I will apply to OMFS residencies, will it hurt me if I get 80s or will it help me if I get 90s? What do y'all think? Obviously I will aim to do well on it (aiming for a 90 again), but is it a good idea to take it early especially if the residencies may use the results against me if I get 80s?

Ever heard residencies using the Part II in addition/supplement to Part I in deciding who to interview? Just curious.
I would not take it until after interviews. Unless of course you know you will get over a 90, remember people usually do not do as well on part 2. There is no hurry.

tjb

If you got below a 90 on part I retake it w/o question. Even if you got a 90, if your class rank is so-so and you think you could do better a second time (like because you just didn't study much for it) retake it as well. If you busted your butt and prepared as much as you could and scored 90 then don't retake it. 90 is minimum...93 and above is more average of the people I interviewed with.

Don't take part II until after you apply. I got a 93 or 94 on part II, don't remember exactly, though most OMS residents I've talked to got mid-80's scores since by the time they took it after interviews/match the score didn't matter.

River13 said:
If you got below a 90 on part I retake it w/o question. Even if you got a 90, if your class rank is so-so and you think you could do better a second time (like because you just didn't study much for it) retake it as well. If you busted your butt and prepared as much as you could and scored 90 then don't retake it. 90 is minimum...93 and above is more average of the people I interviewed with.

Don't take part II until after you apply. I got a 93 or 94 on part II, don't remember exactly, though most OMS residents I've talked to got mid-80's scores since by the time they took it after interviews/match the score didn't matter.
Good advice.

Yah-E said:
Speaking of NBDE Part II, how did you current OMFS residents do?

I got about a 73 or 74.

zidanereal2003 said:
Well, still Ivy league students do better than most students in other schools. Look at the average board scores at Harvard and UPenn among the highest.. Uconn compete with them though..

It doesn't matter where u graduated from but Ivy students do very well in the board exam I not very well in exam II though..

Ivy league educations don't impress me. At all.

Yah-E said:

Are you laughing at me or with me? I thought it was funny b/c it doens't matter two shiites.

Hey guys,

My name is Vishal, Im a first year at NYUCD, and Im interested in the scope of OMFS and really want to pursue it post-DDS. So I just have a few questions that Im hoping senior students and current OMFS residents and the like can help me out with in my quest.

First off, NYUCD usually writes their boards in the summer of 2nd year, after having taken path and micro. We dont cover those classes at all this year, but Ive heard that its possible to write the boards in teh first year summer, so long as youre in good academic standing and you get permission from the Dean. The reason I even conceived the notion of writing the boards this summer as opposed to next summer is because we have 2 months of vacation this summer and only 2 weeks of vacation in the 2nd year summer before hitting the clinics and beginning the clincial rotations. So, my question is, do you think its a wise idea to write the boards this summer not having taken path and micro? Is it possible to learn these subjects from the dental decks sufficiently enough to write the boards and score 90+?? I know 2 months is a long time and Im pretty confident that given that much time, and if I just bust my a$$ that I can do well on other subjects. Its the path and micro that are causing me to hesitate.

Also, how important do you all think research is to your overall CV when applying to OMS residencies. Of the current OMS residents on SDN are there any who received admission w/out research?? Or does having research on your application become a "standard" with the high quality of applicants applying each year?? Would it be better for me to spend my time doing research this summer and writing the boards next summer?? I really just want to be in the best position possible when it comes time for me to apply for an OMS residency, and I think starting early is the best way.
I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Vishal

VancouverDoc2b said:
Hey guys,

My name is Vishal, Im a first year at NYUCD, and Im interested in the scope of OMFS and really want to pursue it post-DDS. So I just have a few questions that Im hoping senior students and current OMFS residents and the like can help me out with in my quest.

First off, NYUCD usually writes their boards in the summer of 2nd year, after having taken path and micro. We dont cover those classes at all this year, but Ive heard that its possible to write the boards in teh first year summer, so long as youre in good academic standing and you get permission from the Dean. The reason I even conceived the notion of writing the boards this summer as opposed to next summer is because we have 2 months of vacation this summer and only 2 weeks of vacation in the 2nd year summer before hitting the clinics and beginning the clincial rotations. So, my question is, do you think its a wise idea to write the boards this summer not having taken path and micro? Is it possible to learn these subjects from the dental decks sufficiently enough to write the boards and score 90+?? I know 2 months is a long time and Im pretty confident that given that much time, and if I just bust my a$$ that I can do well on other subjects. Its the path and micro that are causing me to hesitate.

Also, how important do you all think research is to your overall CV when applying to OMS residencies. Of the current OMS residents on SDN are there any who received admission w/out research?? Or does having research on your application become a "standard" with the high quality of applicants applying each year?? Would it be better for me to spend my time doing research this summer and writing the boards next summer?? I really just want to be in the best position possible when it comes time for me to apply for an OMS residency, and I think starting early is the best way.
I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Vishal
You shouldn't make yourself so identifiable when you're posting on SDN. This place is all about anonymity!

...er...I mean...

:D

Take part 1 after your 2nd year. You will have a better understanding of the sciences after you have taken the classes. Also, you said that you want to have the best possible application when you apply so should you do research.....of course. If you want the best possible application, then you do research. You can get in without it, but you will look better if you did some. Why don't you use those 2 summer months after 1st year to do research? You seem pretty motivated, that's good. Stay that way and you will get into wherever you want to go.

tx oms said:
Are you laughing at me or with me? I thought it was funny b/c it doens't matter two shiites.

Laughing with you of course, but isn't 75 the score that one needs to pass for Part 2?

Yah-E said:
Laughing with you of course, but isn't 75 the score that one needs to pass for Part 2?

I can't remember the details, but I do know I barely passed.

A digression while I've got all the OMS people paying attention to this thread:

I'm interested in doing OMS, and I've got some free time this summer. Is summer before third year a good time to do an externship, or will I look ******ed by trying to extern without having any real clinical experience? If it's an option, what would be good sites to look into? I'd like to get a look at the more emergent & aggressive side of the specialty, rather than just sit around watching residents do wizzies for two weeks solid. Thoughts?

aphistis said:

I'm interested in doing OMS, and I've got some free time this summer. Is summer before third year a good time to do an externship, or will I look ******ed by trying to extern without having any real clinical experience? If it's an option, what would be good sites to look into? I'd like to get a look at the more emergent & aggressive side of the specialty, rather than just sit around watching residents do wizzies for two weeks solid. Thoughts?
I'm a second year and I'm doing one this summer, so don't feel too bad about not having any experience. Hopefully they expect less from second years.

aphistis said:

The more externships you do the better, though you're right that this summer your choices will be limited due to your year in school. There's still several that take new D3's. Here at LSU NO we do.

River13 I know that LSU is one of the top oms programs in the country. What do you think about it. How much plastics do you get at LSU. How many hours are you working per week.

KY2007 said:
River13 I know that LSU is one of the top oms programs in the country. What do you think about it. How much plastics do you get at LSU. How many hours are you working per week.

I'm lovin it. It was my first pick on my rank list and still would be today, because of the variety and volume.

You can do about as much plastics as you want...there's plenty to go around and one of our full-time faculty did a cosmetic fellowship so that's all he does, which is good for us.

The number of hours you work per week varies by what year you are, what month it is, and who your chief resident is. Its all up to the upper level residents how many hours you do. 70-115 is the range, average around 80 for our first year...but my year is an exception because we have 3 prelim/interns in addition to the 4 first year residents, which helps spread the work around.

aphistis said:

I externed last year in between 2nd and 3rd year. The choices of externships are limited because some want NBDE results and I didn't get mine until august. I would do as many as you can. You learn so much every day you are there. As far as seeing expanded scope stuff, don't worry about it. I went to a middle-bottom tier program and I still got to see stuff that blew me away. I don't know if you can ever get bored of Le Fort's (at least as a dental student) and everybody does those like crazy. My only reccomendation is to only go for 2 weeks unless you know they are going to let you do a lot because by the end of 2 weeks you're tired of watching.

Here are my two sense about externships. First if you are externing as a second or third year don't expect the residents or the staff to remember you. Most residents can't remember what they had the previous day for breakfast (if they had breakfast). Externing early on is for your benefit only. It is a chance to try and see what that program is like and how the residents are. If you are very interested in one or two particular programs and you want them to hopefully remember you, you should extern at that program at the begining of your fourth year or at the latest the end of your third year. Secondly, if you want to increase your stock at a particular program spend more time there, do a four week externship instead of a two. This can backfire however if you present yourself in a way that turns the residents and faculty off (Like an arrogant little ****!). In my own opinion for those who do a one week externship I think your wasting your time and more importantly the residents time. It usually takes at least a week for the residents to figure out that your an extern, let alone your name. Nobody will remember you and you definetly won't know what that program is about in one week. Finally I just want to let you know that no matter how many externships you do, you will not know what resident life is like until your a resident! Most externs I see are only there for two weeks and they leave with only a little insight into the lifestyle of a resident. Trust me when I tell you that the adrenaline rush of being a resident will quickly run out after your first couple of months and the only thing to keep you going is if you have a true passion for OMFS. I've seen energized externs turn into walking resident zombies. With that said, BEST OF LUCK OMFS APPLICANTS!

you guys talk about low and middle tier programs.....are these programs easier to get into or something? Which programs are low or middle tier?

molarblade said:
you guys talk about low and middle tier programs.....are these programs easier to get into or something? Which programs are low or middle tier?

I think those terms refer to the strength of the program. Any OMFS program takes effort to get into. I'm guilty of stratifying programs myself, but in reality all programs let you be an oral surgeon. I've said that Ivy League dental school don't mean crap so I have to say it doesn't matter where you do your oral surgery training, you're still an oral surgeon.

Hello I was debating where I should do my next OMFS externship at. I am battling over Emory or Case and Parkland or LSU? What about UNC or Harvard? Anyone have insight on any of these externships? I am interested in all of these programs and am interested in strengthening my CV. Thanks in advance for any help. PM if you want.

GatorDMD said:
Hello I was debating where I should do my next OMFS externship at. I am battling over Emory or Case and Parkland or LSU? What about UNC or Harvard? Anyone have insight on any of these externships? I am interested in all of these programs and am interested in strengthening my CV. Thanks in advance for any help. PM if you want.
I would avoid Harvard. Too many shady things going on with that program right now. I've also heard their externships are complete hell. I would do Parkland or LSU.

tjb

tjb said:
I would avoid Harvard. Too many shady things going on with that program right now. I've also heard their externships are complete hell. I would do Parkland or LSU.

tjb

LSU is the best ...
And I would say it has the best (or one of the best) OMFS residency in the nation now..

When you say LSU is the best, what criteria are you using. Number of procedures, type of procedures, number of faculty, research potential, personality of residents, personality of staff? I think LSU is a great program but saying one progam is the best is really a matter of what your looking to get out of your residency. Do you want a strong experience in Cancer, Plastics, TMJ, Trauma/Reconstruction, Dentoalveolar Sx, Implants, Pathology, Orthognathics? Are you looking for a resident run program or are you looking for a more structured program. Some programs are more heavly waited in academics than others. Depending on what your looking for, certain progams may be better suited for you than others. I know programs that do more implants, orthognathics and TMJ sx than LSU, and in the same token I know LSU does more plastics, cancer, and trauma than some of these same programs. So it all depends on what your looking for.

:confused:

well i was planning on going to either LSU or Parkland not both. In addition I was thinking of going to Emory or Case again not both. I just want to get good experience and pump up the CV. i know i may want a resident run program to get into but for externship i want to get exposed to the variety.

LSU Shreveport or New Orleans?